Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Quickelles wrote: »
    I notice this thread is celebrating it's eight birthday..and finally the sod turns?
    Shocking! o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

... and I'm still here 8 years on .. waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

8 years later.

I wonder how many lives have been lost on that road in the last 8 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone got a decent sized map of this road scheme? Have searched Wicklow.ie but cannot find one.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 11 delaido

Sod turned! So are the diggers finally at work ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I think they are mini diggers. Cannot see them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

I weep (well....almost) to see the past six weeks of wonderful earthmoving weather all wasted while they fail to get started.

According to a local free-sheet they are only advertising for workers now for some parts of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I weep (well....almost) to see the past six weeks of wonderful earthmoving weather all wasted while they fail to get started.

According to a local free-sheet they are only advertising for workers now for some parts of the job.

I was talking to a guy working on the Ballaghaderreen Bypass over the weekend, he told me that it can take 3 months to get the compounds and site facilities in place. Just because you can't see anything happening doesn't mean that there isn't progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

They have been looking for construction/trade workers since the 23rd of may (approx) on the BAM construction website.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Just on a side note has anyone that applied for these positions through BAM construction heard anything back yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

jd wrote: »
    That reminds me - did anybody ever find a detailed map of the scheme? I have one for Gorey-Enniscorthy, I can't find one for Rathnew-Arklow.

http://www.wicklow.ie/apps/wicklowbeta/RoadsTransInfrast/N11%20Rathnew-Arklow.pdf

One here, not sure if posted already

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

• Registered Users Posts: 68,271 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can't figure how the northern tie-in works. :confused:

Existing road becomes one of the offramps, existing Beehive junction becomes a roundabout, road is dug heavily down is how I see it. Basically there'll be a very large distance between the offramp and onramp.

I would hazard a guess that the earthworks for there and the C/D roads (I think? map is quite unclear there) where the existing mainline is to be subsumed will be the first to be started; this was the case on the M3 where it had major cuttings and also subsumed the old N3.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Great map, but there seems to be some frontage access along the northern part? I'm unclear how they're going to motorwayify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

spacetweek wrote: »
    Great map, but there seems to be some frontage access along the northern part? I'm unclear how they're going to motorwayify this.

Yeah, is that a lilo for Coillte?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭roadmaster

JonnyM wrote: »
    Just on a side note has anyone that applied for these positions through BAM construction heard anything back yet??

My friend and his cousin applied for project manager or agent and his cousin for foreman. They are still checking there emails everyday for even word of a interview let alone get a job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

nordydan wrote: »

Looking at that Map It looks like most of the exsiting N11 will be Left after compleation except at jack whites and arklow tie in.

Leaves the question will the road be upgraded to motorway status when completed as for a road to be motorway generaly there has to be an alternative road for learners ect like the m1 m2 m3 m4 m6 all have the old n roads running parrell to them still.

vickers209 wrote: »
    Looking at that Map It looks like most of the exsiting N11 will be Left after compleation except at jack whites and arklow tie in.

Leaves the question will the road be upgraded to motorway status when completed as for a road to be motorway generaly there has to be an alternative road for learners ect like the m1 m2 m3 m4 m6 all have the old n roads running parrell to them still.

I can't see the issue - there willl be a roundabout at Jack Whites's (old N11 will be at right hand dumbbell going north), and distributor road crosses motorway near tie-in.
    The issue with motorway is that lilo for Coillte near Ballinameesda bends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I can't see the issue - there willl be a roundabout at Jack Whites's (old N11 will be at right hand dumbbell going north), and distributor road crosses motorway near tie-in.

there are LILOs elsewhere on the motorway network.

loyatemu wrote: »
    there are LILOs elsewhere on the motorway network.
    I know, but this is for a private entrance.

Currently a lot of Coilte forests provide public access, I'm sure this can be arranged if required - at least for as long as Coilte stays in public hands.

There are a small number of private entrances on motorways in Ireland. They are only for emergency/very occasional use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

But looking at it the current road through ballinmeesda it will be still there once the road opens and the can access the wood there from the roundabout at beehive??

spacetweek wrote: »
    There are a small number of private entrances on motorways in Ireland. They are only for emergency/very occasional use.

I believe they're all for emergency use only and NRA or PPP concessionaire access controlled.

Someone on here started insisting they were for farmers, but couldn't support it and never provided any evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭veryangryman

MYOB wrote: »
    I believe they're all for emergency use only and NRA or PPP concessionaire access controlled.

Someone on here started insisting they were for farmers, but couldn't support it and never provided any evidence.

M6 Junction 8 (Kilmartins exit) has one by the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

M6 Junction 8 (Kilmartins exit) has one by the roundabout

Is that on the motorway mainline though? Or can it be accessed by non-motorway roads?

There is the fact that the road has to be designated a motorway, and as the minister will be changing the law anyway, he could make a specific change to allow the coillte access
    Or he could designate a short bit of the coillte exit as a public non-motorway road

Daa have a gateway from the m1 into one of their long term car parks at the m50/m1 merge.

Is that on the motorway mainline though? Or can it be accessed by non-motorway roads?
    The Kilmartin roundabout connects to the N62 Birr road/west Athlone as well as being at the point where the M6 becomes the N6 Athlone bypass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The Kilmartin roundabout connects to the N62 Birr road/west Athlone as well as being at the point where the M6 becomes the N6 Athlone bypass.

Sorry I mean the roundabout over the main bridge at junction 8. There is a back road there off it

Advertisement