Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

jd wrote: »
    Oh I Agree, I wonder what they'll do about this LILO

But aren't there emergency exits off the M6 after Athlone. I remember being quite surprised to see them on a motorway. Perhaps they'll just do something like that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Jayuu wrote: »
    But aren't there emergency exits off the M6 after Athlone. I remember being quite surprised to see them on a motorway. Perhaps they'll just do something like that.
    There are indeed, and they said it'll be gated and leads to publicly-owned land - so it doesn't violate motorway regs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

spacetweek wrote: »
    There are indeed, and they said it'll be gated and leads to publicly-owned land - so it doesn't violate motorway regs.

It will be a major traffic control operation when the big timber trucks come lumbering out of the forest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dingle Berry

I have requested that information from the NRA and they have not bothered replying.

When is it due to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I have requested that information from the NRA and they have not bothered replying.

When is it due to start?

June or something, but it's no use till it's finished anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

June or something, but it's no use till it's finished anyway..

Yeah, the official commence date 1st June according to here.

Yay, looking forward to the delays at the Beehive... :rolleyes:

I suppose it'll be worth it in the end, but that's a while away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Wild Bill wrote: »
    It will be a major traffic control operation when the big timber trucks come lumbering out of the forest :D

Would it be possible that they are only a secondary entrance and only to be used in emergency? i.e. if there's a large fire on the property these become the route in for fire tenders etc?

I'm not familiar with the area so don't know if these woodlands have another entrance into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dingle Berry

Thanks Niles. Great Information. Did not know they existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ForzaSaints

Didn't have a clue they existed either. Cheers!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Sorry -- but from local knowledge this is not the route.

e.g much of the southern section is shown to the east of the present N11 but is in fact west of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Most of it is fenced and clearly visible on Google Maps. :)

lottpaul wrote: »
    Sorry -- but from local knowledge this is not the route.

e.g much of the southern section is shown to the east of the present N11 but is in fact west of it.
    How embarrassing! I will try harder I swear :)

Spongey, I don't see the trace of the fenced-off part on Google Maps. Could I trouble you to draw it for me? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

By and large parallel and right beside old road.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Anyone know who the contractor and designers are for this scheme?

I believe Arup are employers rep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I have heard it is BAM/Balfour Beatty, but not 100% sure

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    By and large parallel and right beside old road.
    Thanks, I can see it on Streetview now. I've amended my map. Surprised they were able to have it parallel the old road so closely and still maintain limited access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Thanks, I can see it on Streetview now. I've amended my map. Surprised they were able to have it parallel the old road so closely and still maintain limited access.

Looks spot on. :)

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Anyone know who the contractor and designers are for this scheme?

I believe Arup are employers rep

Employers rep is RPS..........

Contractors Are BAM/Balfour beaty

Their designers for the construction are not finalised yet from what i hear.........could be Mott McDonald, Arup or one or two others.

Are you job hunting?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

luckily I'm ok :-) but its good to know hwo the movers and shakers are

• Advertisement

This road has always been described as dangerous and the RSA stats bear this out.

Between 2005 and 2009, there were 6 fatalities, 8 serious accidents, and 35 minor ones. Very bad record there.

And considering this road has been much-delayed, originally meant to start about 6 years ago or something, the sad thing is that all those people died for nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

There was a report in the Sunday Times that there is a delay in the commencement of this scheme and that the NRA are threatening to take the contract away from Bam Balfour Beatty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Did they say why there was a delay? If they take the contract away that will only add more delays.

dmeehan wrote: »
    Did they say why there was a delay? If they take the contract away that will only add more delays.

BBB want to renegotiate elements of the contract

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

jd wrote: »
    BBB want to renegotiate elements of the contract

ffs! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

dmeehan wrote: »

I would choose more delays if taking the contract from BBB sets a precedent in that the NRA does not entertain time wasting in signing contracts - if BBB are not happy with the contract, they should simply withdraw and stop behaving like children IMO - the contract is a contract which they tendered for - question is, why the hell did they tender for it in the first place???

FFS is right :mad:!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I would choose more delays if taking the contract from BBB sets a precedent in that the NRA does not entertain time wasting in signing contracts - if BBB are not happy with the contract, they should simply withdraw and stop behaving like children IMO - the contract is a contract which they tendered for - question is, why the hell did they tender for it in the first place???

FFS is right :mad:!

I suspect that the delay experienced since the tender would allow BBB to exercise a material adverse change or similar aspect to the contract. Annoying at this stage if the funding has now been made available (eventually).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

God I hope this is not delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Any more news onn this? Thx.

• Advertisement

Looks like a delay :(
    http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/like-winning-the-lottery-for-bypass-landowners-3084827.html
    Meanwhile, on the N11 Arklow Rathnew, including the Gorey Service Area, contracts have been delayed pending negotiations with the preferred bidder in this case.

'As a result the commencement date will be deferred for a few months,' added the County Manager.

Advertisement