Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

The new MSA (unofficial?) at the Monasterevin Junction (M7) is a hive of activity all day long - shows the need for these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Wild Bill wrote: »
    The new MSA (unofficial?) at the Monasterevin Junction (M7) is a hive of activity all day long - shows the need for these places.

In fairness though Monasterevin is closer to Dublin that Inch/Ballyellen (Kilmacanogue is probably more of a counterpart in this regard). The thing about the M11 one is that it's after Arklow, and probably too close to Gorey to see much usage from there either, it's really only of benefit to those travelling south of Gorey (and even then it will only become critical if and when the motorway south of Clough is constructed). The one at Monasterevin serves traffic from a wider variety of locations too, considering that the M/N8 feeds into the M7.

Niles wrote: »
    In fairness though Monasterevin is closer to Dublin that Inch/Ballyellen (Kilmacanogue is probably more of a counterpart in this regard). The thing about the M11 one is that it's after Arklow, and probably too close to Gorey to see much usage from there either, it's really only of benefit to those travelling south of Gorey (and even then it will only become critical if and when the motorway south of Clough is constructed). The one at Monasterevin serves traffic from a wider variety of locations too, considering that the M/N8 feeds into the M7.

Actually Kilmac is a dangerous disaster ! :mad:

That apart, it is virtually in Dublin - you are inside the continuous street lighting zone.

I'd have thought Monastereven more akin to Gorey? (Though I think traffic on the M7 at that point may be heavier than on he M11 at Inch.

Anyone got any stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Jayuu

The thing about the M11 one is that it's after Arklow, and probably too close to Gorey to see much usage from there either, it's really only of benefit to those travelling south of Gorey (and even then it will only become critical if and when the motorway south of Clough is constructed).

We can't build temporary solutions. Just because the motorway ends beyond Gorey doesn't mean we should move the station back twenty miles. As you say the M11 will eventually go as far as Rosslare putting the stop almost in the middle. If its built further north then we'd probably need to build a second one around Enniscorthy at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not like there's a fantastic set of facilities on what is going to be bypassed by the Enniscorthy BP. Three stations in Camolin, none 24hr; one 24hr in Ferns, two in Enniscorthy with virtually no facilities.

• Advertisement

Jayuu wrote: »
    We can't build temporary solutions. Just because the motorway ends beyond Gorey doesn't mean we should move the station back twenty miles. As you say the M11 will eventually go as far as Rosslare putting the stop almost in the middle. If its built further north then we'd probably need to build a second one around Enniscorthy at a later stage.

Oh I agree. Basically I'm just saying that it will be a long time before its true potential is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Can anyone confirm whether the two access roads to the Arklow rugby club have been stopped up yet? The works were listed on the Wicklow CC website last year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

they weren't the day before Xmas Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Does anyone have a start date for this project?

@ 18 months looks like next Summer (2013) completion if it starts in Q1.

PoolDude wrote: »
    Does anyone have a start date for this project?

@ 18 months looks like next Summer (2013) completion if it starts in Q1.

According to this the start date is now 1st June, with completion set for two years later.

• Advertisement

21/12/2011
    - Start Date updated to 01/06/2012
    - Finish Date updated to 01/06/2014
    - Construction work is expected to commence on the upgrading of the route to four lanes during 2012.

So, the diggers are go on 1st June :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

According to this the start date is now 1st June, with completion set for two years later.

That's for all elements of the PPP. The M11 portion could be finished before then (as could Newlands X)

jd wrote: »
    That's for all elements of the PPP. The M11 portion could be finished before then (as could Newlands X)

Hopefully. If the Ashford and Gorey ones are anything to go by it's probably quite possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Matter of interest....

Who are these people travelling from Rosslare to Dublin? If its truckers, then why are they not going towards the closest port via Ferry?

Just saying. Fair enough there are countless journeys on the intermediate parts of the route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I travel Enniscorthy to Dublin and back every day for work, a lot of commuters from Gorey and Arklow also, I guess this makes up most of the traffic. I reckon it will save me about 10 minutes each way per day, so 20 mins per day, I will be very glad for that.

Matter of interest....

Who are these people travelling from Rosslare to Dublin? If its truckers, then why are they not going towards the closest port via Ferry?

Just saying. Fair enough there are countless journeys on the intermediate parts of the route

France. The Port doesn't solely serve the Welsh routes

Also, you can be far closer to Pembroke/Fishguard over Holyhead on the UK side than the distance on our side.

Matter of interest....

Let's be honest - the N11 is a commuter road to Dublin, first and foremost. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Matter of interest....

Tens of my friends and more other people from, go Enniscorty, gorey, arklow and other smaller places... From very early morning til late evening, and always busy, me and by wife travel for last 5 years to dublin... Rathnew-arklow connection will be a blessing! I will save about 10mins there... Happy days :-P

MYOB wrote: »

Also, you can be far closer to Pembroke/Fishguard over Holyhead on the UK side than the distance on our side.

Indeed. It was (not sure if it still is?) marketed as Ireland's only Europort. I'm no expert when it comes to shipping but I'm guessing its location makes it more convenient for continent-bound ferry traffic than Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Fantastic news on this project starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Matter of interest....

Keeping in mind the road from swansea to those ports is pretty dire I would say that quite a lot of the trucks do the motorway trek to holyhead and onto London. Even ignoring this point .. if we are looking for strategic routes it is possibly just as important to sort out the N24

Keeping in mind the road from swansea to those ports is pretty dire I would say that quite a lot of the trucks do the motorway trek to holyhead and onto London. Even ignoring this point .. if we are looking for strategic routes it is possibly just as important to sort out the N24

The thing is though (as others have pointed out) the road sees a lot of use from general commuter traffic. Not saying that N24 is undeserving, but as a major Dublin artery route the N11 would be pretty important. The Rathnew-Arklow bit has been the main "weak link" on the route since the Inch/Gorey bypass sections opened back in 2007.

Swansea isn't in France ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

There is a reason why the Revenue Commissioners base their VRT section in Rosslare. It is the primary point of entry into the country for most new cars. Perhaps 'veryangryman' would like to propose to Renault, Citroen, Volkswagen, et al to start importing their cars via the UK!

Good luck convincing them to increase their transport costs just because you don't want money to be spent on this route!

Swansea isn't in France ;)

Well spotted :D !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

The road from Swansea to Fishguard and Pembroke Dock splits at St. Clears.

From west of Swansea to St. Clears it's a dual-carriageway (part of A48 and A40) once the M4 terminates.

St. Clears to Fishguard is 35 miles, St. Clear's to Pembroke Dock is 32 miles.

Given that the A55/M6/M1 (or M40) routes to London are more congested than the alternative route across South Wales, it would hardly be worth anyone's while to go via Holyhead just to avoid 35 miles, or less, of single carriageway.

Although I suppose that doesn't stop people from doing just that.

it would hardly be worth anyone's while to go via Holyhead just to avoid 35 miles, or less, of single carriageway.

Although I suppose that doesn't stop people from doing just that.

Aren't people just plumb crazy? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The road from Swansea to Fishguard and Pembroke Dock splits at St. Clears.

From west of Swansea to St. Clears it's a dual-carriageway (part of A48 and A40) once the M4 terminates.

St. Clears to Fishguard is 35 miles, St. Clear's to Pembroke Dock is 32 miles.
    Roadbridge are improving the St Clears to Pembroke Dock Road as it happens.

http://www.roadbridge.ie/pdf/projects/roads/A477_LR.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Roadbridge are improving the St Clears to Pembroke Dock Road as it happens.

http://www.roadbridge.ie/pdf/projects/roads/A477_LR.pdf

There has also been the recent construction of a new section of road bypassing some villages on the St Clears to Haverfordwest road which makes a significant difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Indeed. It was (not sure if it still is?) marketed as Ireland's only Europort. I'm no expert when it comes to shipping but I'm guessing its location makes it more convenient for continent-bound ferry traffic than Dublin.

In many respects, that will depend on a number of factors including the nature of the cargo, the extent to which 40% of the Irish market for many imported goods is in greater Dublin airport, intermodal transferability in port, the overall route of the transporter (eg is it going to Liverpool, Glasgow anyway) etc etc.

For many UK manufacturers, the starting point is more likely to be the West Midlands rather than London. Equally, goods imported to the UK for onward transfer to Ireland are as likely to come into Felixstowe as "London".

All that being said, there are lots of curiosities, eg Astras for LHD markets are built at Ellesmere Port near Licerpool/Chester but in my experience are driven south on car carriers rather than shipped out if port. Likewise, Jags and Land Rovers and Minis all from midlands/west midlands.

Advertisement