Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Howth Hill TT, Tue 17 Aug 2010, 7pm

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Thought it was funny when oflahero told me that amjon was a bit particular at the start* and that "he wanted to be held".

Don't we all.

Haaa! Well I think he was actually quite right, I lost a good few seconds footering around trying to clip in when I started in a panic. I think we should all be held at the start of TTs, both for the starting advantage and the warm fuzzy glow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

oflahero wrote: »
    .....I think we should all be held at the start of TTs, both for the starting advantage and the warm fuzzy glow.
    hootersgirls1.JPG

Next Boards TT

Well done to all, pretty impressive times, especially amjon whos TT specific training over the year seems to have paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Yeah, I was just used to getting held up at the start. Never actually done a TT with out one and a countdown - was a good laugh nonetheless. It's funny that there isn't as big a time trialling scene here in Ireland as the UK, would have thought the sport would have caught on as it's quite a bit more accessible than road racing.[/COLOR]
    I was pretty happy with the ride, has been a long time since I've gone up Howth flat out. Some fat lump in a 911 gave me some choice language as he passed me, unfortunately I was too out of breath to reciprocate. Apart from that it was pretty pleasant, think it was a tail wind all the way? Well organised too, was great to see so may cyclists out.
    I like reading other people stats on blogs/ web site so here's a pic of the interval on WKO+ - my wattage was a bit down on what I expeceted but that was more than likely down to doing 100- odd miles on Sunday after a 25 on the Saturday.

The time is abit out as I might have missed a second at the start and maybe wound down a fraction too early.
    howth.png

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

Fair play amjon that is extremely impressive. I see from a separate post of yours that you are 78kg or so. Would have thought to do a time like yours you'd have to be bit lighter (not that 78kg is heavy!) Shows how much I knoq. Suppose Howth would be probably considered to be more of a power climb than climbers climb though?
    Well done anyway and thanks again to everyone who organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Well that wasn't a bad way to spend a Tuesday evening! Very good turnout with some very impressive times - there was obviously a fair bit of sandbagging going on in the lead-up to this event.

Good to meet some more boardsies, though I didn't get many names. Thanks to the two lads doing the times, all that was missing was a TdF style hand-signal countdown.

Very happy with my own time, though amjon's phenomenal time has set a target that probably means I'll have to head over to Howth a few more times this year to see if I can get a bit nearer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 anthony_walsh

great turnout for the boards tt tonight.
    I am riding for UCD and we had our hill climb on at the same time.
    For those interested i have a brief report on my blog. we started from a different start point so the times aren`t directly comparable.
    www.coffeeandcrosswinds.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

For those of us who couldn't make it and want to compare our times later, what were the start and end points?

(This was probably stated earlier in the thread, but I can't find it after a quick perusal.)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

Ye, hearty congrats to amjon. Terrible to be beaten by one of the only people there I know but I'll take you next time! If you're blaming a 100 miler I'm blaming mountain biking Sunday and finding out about it while downing a chicken fillet roll and wedges today! Great event though- I'll have to start turning up for more of them.

And anto, how was your heart rate so low? I was about 180 for the first climb, a little lower for the descents and over 190 for the last 90 seconds. Were you not even trying?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

It took thirty three seconds to get from the UCD starting point to the boards.ie starting line.
    For now, I can tell you that I had the fastest time of UCD starters, posting 7.24 for the ascent to the summit shop.

You guys looked much faster coming up to the top and I would have expected lower times just from what I saw at the top.

buffalo wrote: »
    For those of us who couldn't make it and want to compare our times later, what were the start and end points?

We finished at the Irish times sign at the shop. Started down near the entrance to the pitches by the school. Someone who was down there can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

buffalo wrote: »

(This was probably stated earlier in the thread, but I can't find it after a quick perusal.)

To be honest I don't think times will be comparable because of wind conditions.

Looking forward to the next one up ticknock. Anyone care to start a poll on the date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

As Ryaner said, the start is at the entrance to the soccer pitches opposite the primary school (there's a sign there saying "Howth Celtic" or something similar - think they might even call the pitch "Celtic Park"). There's a white line on the road just at the entrance - that's your start point.

To fully recreate the conditions of the Boards TT, you have to bring a friend who will chat to you about this and that and then shout "go" mid-sentence.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Looking forward to the next one up ticknock. Anyone care to start a poll on the date?
    Sounds like you just volunteered Aidan...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

We could also use this climb too, 3.2 kms and quite a good workout!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

As always nice to put faces to the names. @pprendeville Great chatting to you on the way back from Howth although I probably bored the face off you!

Took a few pics

IMGc_5986.JPG

IMGc_5987.JPG

IMGc_5988.JPG

IMGc_5989.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

cyco wrote: »

And anto, how was your heart rate so low? I was about 180 for the first climb a little lower for the descents and over 190 for the last 90 seconds. Were you not even trying?!

My heart rate just dosen't get that high, my max from racing this season is about 178. I'm not sure why it didn't get close to this last night. I remember reading somewhere if you've done alot of racing/training you max HR actually gets lower. Also it was a bit chilly last night so that drives your HR down a few beats across the board.

@thereturn - The wattage was from a powertap so you lose 2-3% of the power delivered to the crank arm/bb before it hits the rear hub. If I'd used a properly calibrated SRM the wattage would have been closer to 470.

@oflahero - Thanks for stuffing the jacket in the hedge and doing the timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

That was a bit of fun!

Thanks to Olafhero and tawfeeredux for timing - really liked the "oh yeah go now!" at the start.

Special mention to Ullu for checking I was ok as he flew past

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

That was a bit of fun!

Thanks to Olafhero and tawfeeredux for timing - really liked the "oh yeah go now!" at the start.

Think it was Ryaner that was doing the timing along with oflahero.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

That was a bit of fun!

Just to make clear, it wasn't a "Jesus, this guy looks like he's in trouble", rather a cheery "How's it going"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Sorry Ryaner - thanks for the timing

Ullu - indeed was a cheery "how's it going?" I was very impressed that you could still get a few words out after coming up the hill so quickly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Here's another pic - sorry about the quality.:o
    006_8.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 panerai

did anyone get the ucd guys times?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

panerai wrote: »
    did anyone get the ucd guys times?
    Anthony Walsh won it, he's unbeatable in TT. He won the League 10 miles TT earlier this year. I guess he's also a good climber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    Well done to all who took part didn't go myself to avoid Embarrassment, when i tried howth for the first time saw a boards jersey coming down as i was about half way up new there was no point in turning up when Dirkvoodo had time to hit the bottom and catch me again before i was 3/4 up a climber i am not.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

How about a southside of Dublin hill climb? Maybe Kilmashogue lane for the next TT? It's really quiet, and really is a hill climb and there are no sharp bends or gates you might find going up to Tick Nock It's less than 3k but could take up to 10 or 12 minutes. Touches 14% for a bit of it!

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/Dublin/563127479518867481

Next Thursday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

cyco wrote: »
    Next Thursday night?
    You're keen! Club race night so not an option for me. FYI Tuesdays seem to be the most popular night in the last doodle

Advertisement