Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Howth Hill TT, Tue 17 Aug 2010, 7pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

For the next one, I found a steep steep 8-20 minute (depending on speed), 2.5km climb close to the city. Big ramp up for the last 500 meters. 200 meters at 20% (ish). I would probably be using a 39x28 for it!

Kilmashogue Lane by any chance? Certainly sounds like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Not gonna make it up after all i just remembered i'm scared of heights. Oh yeah and i have to work late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭pprendeville

ok, so got back about an hour ago. started lashing rain with when was near Griffith Avenue but lovely spin.

did a snice warm up. went up Mobhi road once to get the HR up and kept pace of about 30-35km/hr out to start point. so i was well warmed up. saw a guy cycling a MTB on the way and he had only one arm so thanked God for my two. got to the start point and had a minutes rest. i started at the bus stop across from the school (St. Fintan's I think it is). went well all the way up and stayed on the top ring most of the way til the last 150m. lost a good bit of time there. fella up ahead near summit had a lovely pinerallo dogma like the one team sky rides so was a bit envious of him (have entered a competition to win one of the team sky website so fingers crossed i'll have a £12,500 bike on my hands shortly).

made it to the summit in 8min 40 secs so was failry happy with that. hope i can repeat it or better it tomorrow.

here's link to the ride. thought i could get a time off it from the start point to the summit. i paused the workout (using Cardio Trainer) at the start point and ended it at the summit. can't seem to get a time though so will have to prove it tomorrow with a good ride.

http://ridewithgps.com/users/17866/activities

PS: didn't get anywhere near 70km/hr. thats def a GPS mistake. clocked 53km/hr max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

For the next one, I found a steep steep 8-20 minute (depending on speed), 2.5km climb close to the city. Big ramp up for the last 500 meters. 200 meters at 20% (ish). I would probably be using a 39x28 for it!

Beggin' ya to say Tallagh Hill. Sounds like it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

been debating this for ages because off d orwell yesterday but think i,ll do it. Do we need to stick our names on a list here or turn up? Wouldnt mind going early as my best is 11 mins and didnt see many boardies at the back yesterday at orwell.Will be doing both sides in d morn for an early morning spin. After orwell howth seems a lump in the road. I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,052 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm out, sorry. Knee is hurty.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Kilmashogue Lane by any chance? Certainly sounds like it.

Exactly. Take that last lefthander by the farm and watch the wall in front of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Beggin' ya to say Tallagh Hill. Sounds like it.;)

Where is this Tallagh Hill Climb? I think I know most ones around but don't know it (unless my another name). I thought the Seskin Hill climb would be nice too some time. Great tarmac, steady gradient etc...

Won't be able to make it tonight :(

My stag night :)

Good luck to everyone - I have still not hit that climb "in anger" - I'll try to get over some evening with my LWs and skinsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I'm 50/50, I've to collect the young lad from creche this evening as the wife has late meetings. Hopefully she'll be home by 7 so will try my best to get out and beat my 9:56.

Wonder will the weather keep many away? I have to say I love climbing in the rain keeps me nice and cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm out. Legs are still in a jocker from hiking at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

went up there this morning bout 645 and lovely breeze pushing up d hill be nice if it doesnt change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

So, are we still planning on 7 tonoght?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Im planning to be there at 7

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

No RAAM, no Ryan. This is going to make the average time look a lot less hideous.

Just to save time later, I take it the whole thing works along something like the following lines? Two people synchronise watches or Garmins, and one of them (marshal #1) is trusted to time themselves up to the top, with a list of all participants. Fifteen minutes or so later down below, we can assume marshal #1 is safely in situ, and marshal #2 sets people off on the minute. As you pass the first marshal at the top, you shout out* your starting minute and name, and marshal #1 hastily scribbles. Marshal #2 is trusted not to cheat on his/her minute too, obviously...

Or is there a better (tried & trusted from previous TTs) way?

* or more likely, rasp via a strangulated gasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

oflahero wrote: »
    No RAAM, no Ryan. This is going to make the average time look a lot less hideous.
    Wait until you see what time Mr Skeffington posts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

oflahero wrote: »
    No RAAM, no Ryan, No Velo.2010. This is going to make the average time look a lot less hideous.

;);).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The back is still a bit iffy from Sunday but I'll see how it is on the ride home from work. In any case, I might not be able to escape my domestic duties in time.

I will see you if I see you. Best of luck to everyone if I don't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

I plan to be there if this is still on. I anticipate a time well in excess of 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Looking forward to it, see you all at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Raam wrote: »
    I'm out. Legs are still in a jocker from hiking at the weekend.

I can confirm he was struggling to get in and out of the car on Sunday. Great to see him suffer.

I am available in future for a small fee to take the edges off him in advance of any races where he may be a direct challenger :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

i wonder if anyone has a spare moment to read through this, if perhaps you could give me some advice ???

i just cycle around by myself - no goals in mind, not racing, dont do sportives etc. anyway, i'm northside so i usually end up passing over howth when i'm out for a spin. have kept an eye on this thread. i've never timed myself but i'd often have a glance at the watch and i estimate that i'm about ten minutes from the last minor set of traffic lights to the summit.

so today i went out at a good pace, came to a stop opposite the school (school is on the right - just before the graveyard??). raced off up the hill like a lunatic. tried to keep it in the big gear as i hear everyone on here saying, but that didn't last long. flew up the first climb in record time, down the first descent - speedo was saying 56kms at one stage - then i hit the next climb and i was bunched. i was pretty much in the lowest gear on the bike the rest of the way. heart rate was up around 180 +. anyway - i hit the top in 10mins 20 seconds. this is slower than i think i usually do it - from the lights as well which is further. i free wheeled all the way down the other side - legs were a bit stiff when i got down and it honestly took me about 10kms before i got back into my stride:eek:

so i just had a few questions:

how do you train your body for this ? is it just repetition ?? is it more about pacing yourself ?? its such a short climb though - should i be fit enough to just be able to sprint all the way ???? i usually just go for spins around the 100k mark with avg speed of about 27kmph. i'm only cycling properly a few months though so i wouldn't like to say i'm not a climber just yet !!

thanks a milion - or if i should start a new thread instead of going off topic here please let me know.

ps - best of luck to you all later. saw a good load of lads out there this afternoon - probably getting some sneaky practice in ! there's minor roadworks as well by the way where i think the start is (if it is opposite that school just before the graveyard).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,052 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

its such a short climb though - should i be fit enough to just be able to sprint all the way ????

Ten minutes is not sprinting. Sprinting means anaerobic effort, more like 30 seconds flat out then crawling into a ditch.

You just need to practice finding your comfortably hard but sustainable pace then up it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm out. Look forward to seeing the times later though, good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thanks Lumen,

Sorry - one last question I wanted to throw in as well. People talk about cycling up it in the big gear. Now I must confess I dont understand the numbers involved in gearing - i suppose it is the number of teeth on the sprockets ? To avoid crossing the chain though, if you are in the big sprocket - you would also be at least on the second gear on the small sprocket right ?? so, in my head, that means 12th gear (out of 20). Are people staying in this gear all the way up the hill ???

My bike would have a standard gearing by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Just go with whatever you feel comfortable with. As you get stronger, you will be able to push a bigger gear easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

tried to keep it in the big gear as i hear everyone on here saying, but that didn't last long.

Some use the big ring after the first climb but I don't think anyone is advocating the big ring for the whole thing. The couple of times I have done it, I have used the big ring for the second half of the climb but I think I might do a little better spinning in a smaller gear. I have gone close to all out up the first climb and have just hung on from there in but I think some pacing would produce better results.

I think I agree that Howth is not one for an out and out climber. The second half is definitely more about power (and I don't have enough).

I have no tips for training as I haven't the first clue!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

snollup wrote: »
    So, who was up HH over the weekend?

I was in the Slieve Russell at the weekend so I'll be taking it very handy this evening.:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Apologies...Had to drive to work today, so won't be there this evening. One less 10 minutes plus entrant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Ah feck it I'll give this a miss, I took yesterday off so really need to run instead of cycle. I'll try to direct the running club (Rah Shamrocks) out to Howth though, I'd like to see Skeff and the gang in action!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Good luck to everyone tonight (I'll be marshalling the Swords ladies race, so can't make it)

Advertisement