Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

If you look east of O'Connell street; the north strand, Connolly station, Sheriff street, Mayor street and Square, Spencer Dock, North Docks, The point, East Wall, Ballybough, The IFSC.....thats a huge area with big population but theres barely a scrap of park, playgrounds, playing fields...

It seems like really bad planning. They talk about wanting to encourage families to live in the city center but the facilities simply arent there

Here: https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B021'05.9%22N+6%C2%B014'19.2%22W/@53.3513927,-6.2409421,880m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.351645!4d-6.238677

Might be a good location as its central to everything and just wasteland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭markpb

beauf wrote: »
    Not a scrap of green space near the point either.
    If you look east of O'Connell street; the north strand, Connolly station, Sheriff street, Mayor street and Square, Spencer Dock, North Docks, The point, East Wall, Ballybough, The IFSC.....thats a huge area with big population but theres barely a scrap of park, playgrounds, playing fields...

Ringsend Park is a 10 minute walk from the Point. 26 acres, playgrounds, multi-sport pitches and allotments. Fairview park is a 20 minute walk to the north. Central Square is grand for office workers sitting outside enjoying a bit of sunshine. It might be unrealistic to expect massive parks with sports facilities right on your doorstep if you live in the city centre. Lots of people in the suburbs would love to be a 10-20 minute walk from parks like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Lots of parks within walking range. Thats not what I'm talking about.

But on Google Maps you can see theres almost no green space in the Docklands/IFSC

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3506918,-6.2373817,14.5z

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

Agree more green space would be nice. The river is an amenity which thankfully is being used more and more.

Fairview is more like 30 minute walk from the Point and Mayor Square and Ringsend park is psychologically a lot further due to the fact its across the river. At those distances they might as well just get the Luas to the Phoenix park.

My point still stands that the entire area is lacking in park, green, recreational facilities

• Advertisement

The community in the Liberties/D8 has successfully turned wasteland into a park at the junction of Ormond Street and Cork street.

They needn't have bothered, sure isnt it just a 20 minute walk to St Stephens Green, and in the other direction they have IMMA grounds and phoenix park!!

You're missing the point, in high density urban areas, green areas and parks are vital.

The wasteland next to the Docklands Train station would be perfect, but I bet the value of the land for development will win.
    It could be integrated with Royal Canal Greenway when its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

subpar wrote: »
    The Central Bank has 1500 staff , Voxpro roughly 500 and Fenergo will have about 500 in 12 months time once they have completed their current recruitment exercise.

In addition add in the staff from NTMA building next to the Central Bank and the workers from the other new office buildings in the Dublin Landings and the new builds on the Hales Freight site and there are more than enough people to fill the new retail units which will surely open up in this new quarter of the City.

New Facebook office on East Road too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Fairview is more like 30 minute walk from the Point and Mayor Square and Ringsend park is psychologically a lot further due to the fact its across the river. At those distances they might as well just get the Luas to the Phoenix park.

That's some seriously odd logic right there. Pheonix park is miles away, Ringsend park is not.

What wasteland at the docks, do you mean where east road meets east wall? If so, Ringsend park is closer.

I'm talking about the entire area from the north Strand, to Sheriff, to IFSC, The point, East Wall....Theres no park for that entire area.

Im referring to the wasteland right next to Docklands Train station as stated.

Phoenix park is 20 minutes by Luas...you might as well go there...
    Ringsend Park is a 23 minute walk from Mayor Square...

I dont know what you mean by "seriously odd logic"...!!!

All my points still stand and make perfect logical sense.

• Advertisement

"What wasteland at the docks, do you mean where east road meets east wall?"......

this is nowhere near Docklands Train Station. Look at a map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

My point still stands that the entire area is lacking in park, green, recreational facilities

No it's not, Sheriff St has a playground, a green and an astro park, across from it is more green space and a river the local kids around the area jump into when its hot out. There is also green space around East Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭geecee

My understanding is that they are building a small L shaped shaped park around the North bank development on castleforbes road...

There is also the green area at Spencer dock luuas stop...

TallGlass wrote: »
    No it's not, Sheriff St has a playground, a green and an astro park, across from it is more green space and a river the local kids around the area jump into when its hot out. There is also green space around East Wall.

Its still very lacking. The sheriff street park is tiny and isnt the safest. Theres open drug dealing near there. East wall has a couple of astro pitches. Thats it really.

I dont think jumping into a polluted river counts as a park or recreational facilities.

I honestly didnt think stating that such a large urban dense area lacking a park was the most controversial opinion. Theres lots of wasteland near there. Surely some of it is council, NAMA or CIE owned. Parks are cheap. It wouldnt be the hardest problem to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I've just walked up Mayor St from the 3 Arena to Commons St.

Central Square and the Canal are both green parks. Both were basically empty despite it being lunchtime on a sunny day. The riverside was very busy though.

Another small green area adjacent to the Point Luas stop would adequately serve the area.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I've just walked up Mayor St from the 3 Arena to Commons St.

Central Square and the Canal are both green parks. Both were basically empty despite it being lunchtime on a sunny day. The riverside was very busy though.

Another small green area adjacent to the Point Luas stop would adequately serve the area.

Central square is maybe 30m by 30m.
    The canal park is a strip of grass by a very busy road.

Is it really adequate for the population explosion the area is about to experience!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Central square is maybe 30m by 30m

Plenty of space for the 3 people who were in it at 1:30 on a sunny day :)

Ok, but that area is about to have 10,000's of office workers, students, apartment dwellers coming in the next couple of years.

Im not being controversial. It really is lacking.

Look at the wasteland right next to the Docklands Train station.
    Would it not be a good spot for a park and integrate it with the Royal Canal Greenway, so that it also attracts people from further up the canal?

Once all the available land is developed into offices and apartments, the opportunity for a park is gone forever then.

• Advertisement

You wonder why they bothered planting trees. There's some down Sheriff St and Ringsend. Thats good enough. They are beside the beach for cripes sake. They should rename it the Dublin Riviera.

Try it on a Wednesday there's a Market. More life then.

Though its interesting question. Where is the footfall that all these existing offices should have brought. I suspect many have internal canteens and many don't leave the office at lunchtime. Say you have 30 mins. Maybe they don't want to spend 20 mins of it going to and from somewhere.

There is probably a formula for estimating the commercial footfall due to adjacent offices and apartment.

In the evening these Luas stops have a lot of people at them.

It could be a case of "suppressed demand".
    Office workers generally like to soak up any vitamin D available to them so they try to lunch outside weather permitting, but I guess the area is so bleak at the moment that they just stay in. The riverside can be a bit blustery and windy also.

Is there really a market in Central Square on Wednesday? Is it at lunchtime? Didnt know that.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/architecture-design-blog/2017/jun/13/an-embarrassment-to-the-city-what-went-wrong-with-the-725m-gateway-to-cambridge

Heres a good example from todays paper showing the effects of bad planning.

They are talking about an area of 1000 students and 350 families and complaining about the small patch of grass.

I suggested that the north docklands area of 10,000's of people had inadequate green space and people disagreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hako

well i found this document on the web.

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/planning/consultation-on-the-draft-public-realm-masterplan/supporting_documents/DRAFT%20Masterplan%20Docklands%20SDZ.pdf

In this link take a look at page 15 and there you will be able to see a small park similar to the one close to Spencer Dock Luas station. The new green area is between Sheriff srt upper and Major street.

I havent seen that document before. Thanks.

The Royal Canal Greenway will help a lot I think. A few trees by the canal next to the convention center also, the strip of grass is very bare. Maybe they are waiting for the Greenway to be completed and then planting will begin.

I still think the parks are tiny. We'll see what happens I guess.

I still think the land between Sheriff street and East Wall would be good for a park and some sport/recreational area.
    I think pretty much the whole of the SDZ has been sold and is in development.

The trees along the north quays look good also (page 77). I cycle this a lot and boy is it desolate. The liffey cycle will improve this also.
    Thats the problem with city planning I guess, everything is waiting on something else.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

beauf wrote: »

Going at least 4 years. Used to move to the hotel site behind the convention centre in winter but that has stopped

• Advertisement

Yeah that was an awful location. Freezing and windswept all the time.

Advertisement