Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Freshii is opening beside Starbucks seen the sign yesterday

I hope that goes ahead. Badly needs a lunch option in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dylanbyrne2017

I'd imagine if it says opening soon on the window they've gotten the go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fred_Johnson

Ruby's restaurant is open at the Point. Quite a little cluster developing there finally.

Cool. I wonder what hours they'll open

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A boojum down there might do pretty well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 hako

beauf wrote: »
    Cool. I wonder what hours they'll open

Here you can find the opening hours at the bottom of the page:

http://rubys.ie/point-square/

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Some sort of furniture store seems to be opening. It's on the side entrance side next to the construction. No sign yet but a full fitted store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

JupiterKid wrote: »
    A boojum down there might do pretty well too.

I'm not sure there are enough people down there yet, particularly as they have just opened in Grand Canal Dock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Mean while Dunnes pit battles against the SC in which it might do well. LIDL, ALDI and Mc Donalds have opened in the Area. Dunnes are dragging there feet at this stage, which just shows the level of management your dealing with. Can the SC just tell them to fúck off and get someone like Tesco in? As far as I know Tesco has no superstores in that area and I would imagine would be fairly interested.

I remember walking to the cinema years back, looking at the vacant units thinking it would be great for shooting a film, but I seen the potential it had and still has. Only another set back it has is that toll charge from the Port Tunnel and East Link, great location but nightmare for Tolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Avada wrote: »
    I'm not sure there are enough people down there yet, particularly as they have just opened in Grand Canal Dock.

Well with the buildings that are due to go up and if Dublin Port get the berths for the Cruise liners built then it will be seriously active. That said, there are a lot of ifs and buts in that.

• Advertisement

Where lidl and Aldi are is very different for footfall than where the point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

TallGlass wrote: »
    Well with the buildings that are due to go up and if Dublin Port get the berths for the Cruise liners built then it will be seriously active. That said, there are a lot of ifs and buts in that.

A lot of the developments are offices..and I dont think enough apartments are being built there for it to have a huge effect ont he activity in the area. And the port cruise liner terminal is a very far in the pipeline if ever..I dont know if docklands will ever start to feel like a natural extension of the 'city centre' ..but I hope so

I think a lot of the developments between tara street and the grand canal theatre area having no ground floor retail units is a big barrier preventing people being drawn from the city centre to the area

There's already a dramatic change in activity in in the past 12 months. Lots more people walking around than this time last year. All the best trains and teams are a lot busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Theres a pedestrian/cycle bridge planned for there.
    I think the 1000 students and the Facebook office in the East wall will be a tipping point

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

The new point Square website has a section for electroics, furniture etc. I wish they were a bit more communicative about what's happening.
    As a resident I've noticed the place to be way more lively even on no gig nights. Ruby's, Rockets and the Cinema seem to attract a lot of people. A few retail shops or even a big shop like harvey normans (which isn't available in the center) would do wonders here.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    The new point Square website has a section for electroics, furniture etc. I wish they were a bit more communicative about what's happening.
    As a resident I've noticed the place to be way more lively even on no gig nights. Ruby's, Rockets and the Cinema seem to attract a lot of people. A few retail shops or even a big shop like harvey normans (which isn't available in the center) would do wonders here.

Yeah I think a "destination" type shop would be a game changer - the type of shop you go out of your way for.
    A Penney's, Dunnes, Tesco, M &S.
    A big problem is how inaccessible it is from the south quays and grand canal dock area

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

wakka12 wrote: »
    And the port cruise liner terminal is a very far in the pipeline if ever..

Planning permission was granted in February of this year.

Yeah I think a "destination" type shop would be a game changer - the type of shop you go out of your way for.
    A Penney's, Dunnes, Tesco, M &S.
    A big problem is how inaccessible it is from the south quays and grand canal dock area

Considering there is no free parking, and the Lidl and Aldi do. I think who ever does go in would not want to be in their space. Lot of office works passing through, at all times of the day. Something like a M&S for lunch options (like in Mayor Square I reckon would do ok.

Considering there is no free parking, and the Lidl and Aldi do. I think who ever does go in would not want to be in their space. Lot of office works passing through, at all times of the day. Something like a M&S for lunch options (like in Mayor Square I reckon would do ok.

the lidl and aldi arent really accessible by foot really, 20 to 30 minute walk from the point.

There isnt really a proper supermarket in the whole docklands area, north and south of the river.
    Theres a Fresh supermarket alright in Grand Canal Dock but its a bit expensive for the big weekly shop.

No one is going to do a weekly shop there, without free parking. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

No one is going to do a weekly shop there, without free parking. Maybe I'm wrong.

I agree people with cars will go to lidl or aldi, but everyone else will go to the closest supermarket by foot/cycle or public transport.

I definitely think theres a market there for a big supermarket

Theres a lidl and aldi on parnell street I think and theres probably not much parking near there that isnt really expensive. yet Im sure they do well, I think theres more than enough local people living in the area to support an aldi or lidl in the docklands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

wakka12 wrote: »
    Theres a lidl and aldi on parnell street I think and theres probably not much parking near there that isnt really expensive. yet Im sure they do well, I think theres more than enough local people living in the area to support an aldi or lidl in the docklands

there's literally an Aldi AND Lidl in East wall road - which is less than a 15 minute walk from docklands. they wont be putting those into point village i wouldnt imagine, just because a few of the "docklands" residents are too precious to walk through the "dodgy" parts!?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,613 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

there's literally an Aldi AND Lidl in East wall road - which is less than a 15 minute walk from docklands. they wont be putting those into point village i wouldnt imagine, just because a few of the "docklands" residents are too precious to walk through the "dodgy" parts!?

Good luck to them, schleppin up Johnny Cullen's Hill with the shopping...

http://eastwallforall.ie/?p=700
    https://www.thefreedictionary.com/schlepping

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

Dunnes will open a shop in the Point Village. They have successfully used the legal process to delay the inevitable for the past 6 years. They will not write off the 15 million they are on the hook for. The rest of the point village is finally filling up and businesses will always position themselves where there is sufficient foot fall to make money.

The interesting part of this story is what type of store will Dunnes open. Time has moved on since their first plans for this location and the new store will most likely not be a large supermarket food store but more likely to be one which has a a limited food element with an on line delivery service , a clothes section catering for the younger market living and working in the Docklands area and a gift shop to cater for the pedestrian / tourists associated with the 100 plus cruise liners berthing close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

subpar wrote: »
    The interesting part of this story is what type of store will Dunnes open.

Dunnes own three food brands: Cafe Sol, Neon (Chinese) and Considered (gourmet sandwiches). They could easily open any combination of those.

I can't imagine them touching the grocery side of things due to proximity of Lidl/Aldi in East Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,182 ✭✭✭✭L1011

blue_blue wrote: »
    Dunnes own three food brands: Cafe Sol, Neon (Chinese) and Considered (gourmet sandwiches). They could easily open any combination of those.

I can't imagine them touching the grocery side of things due to proximity of Lidl/Aldi in East Wall.

The space they have agreed to take is rather sizeable and I suspect they'd have trouble filling it even with a "textiles" store (like Lucan) + all those brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

Integration of Dublin Port into the City: From Todays Irish Times

Anyone travelling along East Wall Road can’t fail to notice a renovated 1950s Stothert & Pitt crane, painted light blue and riddled with holes for architectural impact, rising above what looks like the rusty upturned hulk of a sunken ship.
    This is one major element of Dublin Port’s €6 million plan to open itself up to the city, announced a year ago and recently inaugurated by Lord Mayor Mícheál MacDonncha, wearing his hat as admiral of the port, in the presence of Taoiseach Leo Varadkar.
    The six-storey Port Centre, designed by Scott Tallon Walker and completed in 1981, had been marooned behind a stone wall that extends all along the east side of the heavily trafficked East Wall Road. The latest project aims to “soften” this hard edge.
    ‘Port-city integration’
    Architect Tim Darmody said his scheme was “all about port-city integration”, with an impressive set of heavy pre-rusted Corten steel gates leading to a plaza in front of the port company’s headquarters and a landscaped garden to the south.
    One of its most striking features is the way in which the name “Dublin Port” is boldly etched in the Corten steel panels, which were made in Prussia Street by BA Steel Fabrication. Another is the new chrome steel ball that reflects the port company’s headquarters.
    Ultimately, the scheme will tie in with plans to relocate visiting cruise liners from Alexandra Basin to new berths just east of the East Link bridge. “The overall objective is to transform the port into an attractive and welcoming place,” said chief executive Eamonn O’Reilly.

Be nice if they let you go look at the ships especially the liners. But you are not allowed.

Or even if you could go to the end and look at the sea at lunchtime for a walk or cycle.

• Advertisement

Itd be nice to have a port thats more integreated with the city! When I was in vancouver and new york wandering around their coasts that look out onto the ocean I was just tihnking how sad it is that the public dont get to enjoy the dublin coastline at all really in dublin :( Bull island I suppose..
    but how amazing would a park like stanley park be in dublin bay??

Advertisement