Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

wakka12 wrote: »
    Itd be nice to have a port thats more integreated with the city! When I was in vancouver and new york wandering around their coasts that look out onto the ocean I was just tihnking how sad it is that the public dont get to enjoy the dublin coastline at all really in dublin :( Bull island I suppose..
    but how amazing would a park like stanley park be in dublin bay??

I think I read that they plan to put a footpath and cycle way all the way out by the part of the port overlooking East point area

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

wakka12 wrote: »
    Itd be nice to have a port thats more integreated with the city! When I was in vancouver and new york wandering around their coasts that look out onto the ocean I was just tihnking how sad it is that the public dont get to enjoy the dublin coastline at all really in dublin :( Bull island I suppose..
    but how amazing would a park like stanley park be in dublin bay??

Bull island, Sandymount strand right down to the Poolbeg lighthouse on the south wall, the full length of Clontarf, the Howth cliff walk, Seapoint, Sutton beach, etc etc. Dublin City has much publically accessible coast that puts Stanley Park in the tuppence place (nice and all as it is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You can go there, it's publicly accessible, it's just far out

I know thats how I know about it. But its so under utilized, and discouraged.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    Bull island, Sandymount strand right down to the Poolbeg lighthouse on the south wall, the full length of Clontarf, the Howth cliff walk, Seapoint, Sutton beach, etc etc. Dublin City has much publically accessible coast that puts Stanley Park in the tuppence place (nice and all as it is).

Most of the that isn't in the city...just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,185 ✭✭✭✭L1011

beauf wrote: »

Much of it is closer to the city than the far end of the reclaimed infill at the port

No it isn't. Not from the point village or indeed the cycling and walking traffic off the liners in the summer.

Anyway the point is it's a great viewing location and you wouldn't know it was there unless you climb the mound of earth hiding it.

Is a working port, but a lot of it is wasteland. Looks terrible. It has great views of the bay and people are always interested in ships and habours.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

If they would make a port city hub like the likes of Hamburg and London I'm sure that would work well. Put some shops there, open it up to the public. The ferris wheel would probably do well these days. Back when it was dropped at the point in the middle of nowhere it was just to random.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    If they would make a port city hub like the likes of Hamburg and London I'm sure that would work well. Put some shops there, open it up to the public. The ferris wheel would probably do well these days. Back when it was dropped at the point in the middle of nowhere it was just to random.

Or we could try think of a slightly more unique tourist attraction :pac:

• Advertisement

It’s all in the city. It’s not all in the city centre - but nor is the port tbh. There’s ample public seafront amenities for the citizens of this city, and it’s one thing that this city can actually point to as a feature to be proud of. On that topic, the new cafe in the converted containers on Bull Wall is a great development.

The end of the docks is 3km from the point village. You think it was Siberia.

Bull wall is 6.4km Sutton 11k. SandyCove 13.5km

Docklands station has the same perception as being a massive distance from the city when its at most 10 mins walk to Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,615 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The end of the docks is 3km from the point village. You think it was Siberia.
    Bull wall is 6.4km Sutton 11k. SandyCove 13.5km
    Docklands station has the same perception as being a massive distance from the city when its at most 10 mins walk to Connolly.

Is Connolly the city centre though?
    It's still 10 minutes walk to O'Connell Street, Henry Street etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

odyssey06 wrote: »

Is the city centre still just the spine from Stephens Green to Parnell Square?

Questions, questions...

Not being flippant, just questioning our own attitudes to a growing city.

odyssey06 wrote: »

My point is it's often quicker to get to the docklands and and walk anywhere in the city then go into Connolly. Docklands is a lot closer than people perceive.

Like wise the docks.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Is the city centre still just the spine from Stephens Green to Parnell Square?
    Questions, questions...
    Not being flippant, just questioning our own attitudes to a growing city.

I'm open to ideas either way... I suppose I would see Docklands\Point Village, Smithfield as being in the city (not a suburb) but not city centre? I accept that may not make sense!

My point is it's often quicker to get to the docklands and and walk anywhere in the city then go into Connolly. Docklands is a lot closer than people perceive.

Like wise the docks.

It’s a 45 minute walk from the docklands train station down to that view point at the end of the port. You’d be quicker heading to Irishtown, where you’ve got a beach, a park, and access to a better panorama in the shape of the South Wall.

Is pretty much the same distance as I said earlier. But certainly a lot less grim.

But it's not the same view of the bay or ships. Which is the only reason the docks is of Interest in the first place.

Its a working port anyway. I'll be surprised if they make any changes to accommodate any other activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

Heard today from a reliable source that a Tesco Express is going to open on the ground floor of the new Student Apartment Blocks under construction.

..any alternative to that Spar can't come soon enough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

subpar wrote: »
    Heard today from a reliable source that a Tesco Express is going to open on the ground floor of the new Student Apartment Blocks under construction.

They'll make a killing there.

Pre cinema snacks, concert goers, yahoo office workers, 1000 students and everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hako

one of the best news I've ever heard for a long time :)

Dunnes Ordered to Pay 15.5m Euro Immediately

Dunnes Stores must pay €15.5m immediately to the receivers of a company of businessman, Harry Crosbie, the High Court has ruled.

The court ruled Dunnes must make the payment to comply with the agreed terms of settlement of a dispute about the planned Point Village Development.

The receivers claimed the money was due under a settlement between Dunnes and Point Village Development Limited (PVD) negotiated by the PVD chairman Harry Crosbie in 2010, before the National Asset Management Agency appointed joint receivers over the company three years later.

PVD had claimed Dunnes failed to honour a 2008 agreement to become the anchor tenant in the centre.

Dunnes denied the claims and alleged PVD had not complied with some of its obligations.

The case settled in 2010 but further disputes arose.

In her ruling, Ms Justice Caroline Costello upheld PVD's claims that it had met its obligations under the settlement agreement.

She found Dunnes was obliged to release €15.5m to Point Village "forthwith", plus accrued interest.

The Point Village development is situated on Dublin's North Wall Quay and includes a cinema, offices, a hotel and a public square.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I hope this is the end of the dispute, dunnes Is making a stubborn mistake and i hope someone like Supervalu, tesco, lidl or aldi can profit from it.

Bizarre... Dunnes must figure €15 million is less than the would have lost operating the stores during that period???

You'd have thought they could have opened a scaled down Dunnes store and just sold mostly 'ambient' goods, medicines, nappies, household products, biscuits, snacks, drinks, off licence and with a small selection of 'fresh' items like milk and bread - no butchers counter or fish counter or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭geecee

I notice that they have demolished that squat building on the "tedcastles" site next to the 3arena on North wall Quay...

So hopefully not long before construction starts on the site bordered by, North Wall Quay, the new road, Point Luas Stop and the 3 Arena (think its due to be hotel and office block?)

Yes there is a lot of construction activity taking place and more to come next year. Had a look at the Point Campus blocks the other day and have to say they are flying up. The LUAS cross city opening in 2 weeks time will be a further positive in improving connectivity with the rest of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭roycon111

Dublin Flea Market are running a Christmas Market in the Shopping Centre for a few days this week I see. This will be the first time the shopping centre will actually be used for shopping in its 10 year existence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

roycon111 wrote: »
    Dublin Flea Market are running a Christmas Market in the Shopping Centre for a few days this week I see. This will be the first time the shopping centre will actually be used for shopping in its 10 year existence

They have had the same market there before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fred_Johnson

Any word on when Exo construction starting? I heard October 2017 but no sign of any movement.

Advertisement