Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options
1343536373840»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I really suspect that parts of the entire C2CC route is being delayed opening up to the public so that there can be a big bang launch when the whole thing is completed ...which, I could be wrong, might just coincide with election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Celltale_CMcN

Can imagine the pressure to move the port is just going to keep building now that the last remaining sites in docklands are under way.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/it-could-be-the-new-docklands-dublin-port-must-move-and-move-now-1635147#:~:text=Dublin%20Port%20must%20'move%20now,new%20homes%20to%20the%20city.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭subpar

Site between the 3 Arena and Castleforbes Road now has final all clear for towers of13 Stories. Local authority's bid to appeal Ronan apartment block heights rejected by Supreme Court

The Supreme Court has refused to allow Dublin City Council to appeal against proposed height increases for two north Dublin dockland apartment blocks proposed by a Johnny Ronan firm

The Supreme Court has refused to allow Dublin City Council to appeal against proposed height increases for two north Dublin dockland apartment blocks proposed by a Johnny Ronan firm.

Three judges of the court said they were not convinced a further appeal is required in the interests of justice, given the local authority has had a full hearing of the case in the High Court and the Court of Appeal.

They also did not believe a point of systemic or general importance arose, as the strategic housing provision in dispute expired at the end of 2021 and the specific legal issue only came up in two other cases.

The buildings were initially to have seven floors each, but An Bord Pleanála permitted Spencer Place Development Company (SPDC) to increase their height to seven and 13 storeys.

The local authority brought legal proceedings against the board complaining it had no power to approve height increases that materially contravene the council’s North Lotts/Grand Canal strategic development zone planning scheme.

The High Court overturned the permission in October 2020, but this decision was later quashed on appeal by SPDC, which was a notice party in the case.

The Court of Appeal concluded An Bord Pleanála was entitled, under a now-extinct provision for strategic developments, to allow a strategic build which defies the scheme.

The board did not participate in the appeal but had opposed the council’s case in the High Court.

Strategic housing development

In its ruling last June, that court said that the existence of the North Lotts scheme would have precluded the council from permitting the height increases if SPDC’s application had been submitted to it.

However, SPDC elected to apply directly to the board under the now-defunct strategic housing developments regime.

Under the provision, the board was required to “have regard” to the North Lotts scheme, but it was expressly permitted to depart from its terms in certain circumstances, the court said.

Legally, An Bord Pleanála was entitled to permit the height increases, notwithstanding that the two blocks exceed the building height limits in the North Lotts Scheme, the court held.

In 2021, the strategic housing provision was replaced by a new process for “large-scale residential development”.

This restores the role of local authorities as first-instance decision-makers in planning matters.

In seeking to appeal to the Supreme Court, the council contended a matter of general public importance arises concerning the board’s jurisdiction to permit a strategic housing development that contravenes a planning scheme.

This issue, it submitted, is of “systemic importance” to the planning system.

SPDC countered that the provision ceased to have effect in December 2021, and it understands this particular issue arose in only two other cases.

In a determination published on Friday, a Supreme Court panel, comprising Chief Justice Donal O’Donnell, Mr Justice Séamus Woulfe and Ms Justice Aileen Donnelly, refused the council’s application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

13 stories....they should be at least double that in that location.

I see M&S in Mayor Square has closed down, anyone know what the story is with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Rents, competition, reduced footfall since WFH, feral kids meaning extra security and theft?

I honestly thought M&S would have pulled out of Ireland entirely by now as a result of Brexit, but they seem to be hanging in there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ah that's a shame - I always got my lunch there when I worked nearby. I guess my office moving was the final straw!

I would've thought they'd pull out too but actually they seem to be investing in Ireland, like they recently launched their loyalty card/app here. Are we sure the closure in Mayor Square isn't temporary? Just a couple months ago I heard them organising a party for all the staff there because it was their 20th anniversary trading there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Drogheda and Mayor Square were announced as permanent closures

Their expansion is via Applegreen service stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

It didn't get as much mention in the news, because of the Drogheda store closing, but that was the one store in Dublin they announced to be closing.

Big queues at the Tesco Express as a result. I thought the M&S store was always fairly busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dylanbyrne2017

Even though M&S have closed anyone notice Subway have gone in beside them even though they have a unit right across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Does anyone know if there is any recent update on the proposed improvements to the Point Junction/roundabout? I know there was plans for a proper bike lane and other junction improvements but I have seen no recent updates. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Thanks - yeah, saw that - shame there does not seem to be any updates/progress since then.

Advertisement