Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this beast a baby sparrow?? (Bob and Cede)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

ah cool, it must be a goldfinch then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Was wrong with my sparrow identification I think...
    Keep the photos of Bob comin':)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Fair dues for picking it up and looking after it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

more pics please

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

LOVED this thread, fairplay to you thats just heart warming stuff. :o

• Advertisement

Morganna wrote: »
    more pics please
    here ya go:
    bobposing.jpg

this is my bf feeding him and when he was full he pooped on my bf hand as a 'Thank you' :D and went to sleep :D
    bobeatingandeating.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

010715aa017.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

mgwhelan wrote: »
    010715aa017.jpg

You're right, it sure looks like Bob. Can't wait to see the outcome.

great pics this is a lovely story .Thank you so much for sharing.Well Bob is defo from the finch family .Keep the pics coming .

He is really coming on so well isnt he .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Best thread in ages. Heart warming stuff. :) Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

this is a great thread.
    we should start putting bets on chaffinch or goldfinch!
    I'm sticking with Goldfinch, if I see white feathers developing at the top corner of its wing I'll change to chaffinch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Glad to see him doing well. The beak says young Chaffinch to me. A young Goldfinch has a more slender beak. But time will tell!

a little update - bob is now 'flying' out of his box, he's not able to gain any altitude yet, but he's very keen to get out and explore the surroundings :D
    and also he started pecking at the things, I'm trying to trick him to eat of the ground and he does it sometimes, yeay maybe tomorrow he'll be eating himself.
    bobsie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Be very careful of things like windows and mirrors from here in. You have done an amazing job with him so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Thats a great story and heartwarming.

Its a pity you cant keep him. My late grandfather always kept a singing finch. He used get up at 5am on a summers morning to hear him singing once the sun came in the window.

we contacted local wildlife caretaker today and she said she was happy to take Bob and said it was ok to bring him to her place tonight. but when the time came to pack him and go we just couldn't. we just love him too much. it looks like he's staying with us, we're looking for the cage now :)

he's such a cutsie:
    bobjuly2nd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

No question now that he is a Goldfinch. Hopefully his singing will reward your care - I still can't believe that you have reared him from that scrap that you found. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Make sure the cage is not too small, He's still a wild bird not a domestic bird. Make sure you get a companion for him, don't leave him on his own. Goldfinches are sociable birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Glad to see my guess was right. It's going to be a beautiful bird when it grows up. Here's one that was outside my front window. You've done a great job.

4692547287_64bbc0b878.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

J@utis, any chance of you putting together a time line photo album of Bob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Will you need to put a ring on him? (I know you didn't breed him but you pretty reared him)

I was about to do it but there was a problem... I thought that my boyfriend was taking bob's pictures everyday and he thought that I was doing that, so at the end there were no pictures taken on good few days :(

I have no clue about rings and stuff like that. To be honest I never noticed or paid any attention to wild birds till now.

Bob is now practicing his flying skills in the cage. He's still falling off the sticks but he's getting better rapidly. the only problem that we still have to hand feed him.

bobandhisnewcage.jpg

bob is tipping the scales at a whopping 14g :D (sheep is for better grip only).

bobonscales05-07-2010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I havn't checked this thread in over a week and the photos are great.
    I'm amazed to see the little fella doing so well. Big thumbs up from me. It's a great story :D

so, bob is a goldfinch that's for sure. now here's another riddle: is it a boy or a girl? :D

bob7-7-10.jpg

j@utis wrote: »
    so, bob is a goldfinch that's for sure. now here's another riddle: is it a boy or a girl? :D

Guess you won't find out until he/she does or does not lay an egg as the sexes are indistinguishable. Progress just amazing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Guess you won't find out until he/she does or does not lay an egg as the sexes are indistinguishable. Progress just amazing. :)

<Cough, Cough>

You can actually sex Goldfinches once they complete the post-juvenile moult - i.e. in the autumn, when they have developed the adult-type facial pattern. The red patches are more extensive - going behind the eye - in males. Also they have 'nasal hairs', which are black in males and buffish grey in females.

Honestly.

LostCovey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

PS for the record, I think the OP is doing a fantastic job, and documenting it online like this lets us all share the fun without the grief of the early and late feeds, cleaning up the crap etc.

Thank you.

LC

Advertisement