Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this beast a baby sparrow?? (Bob and Cede)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Just discovered this thread and have been so impressed with yer work and effort and Bobs fight to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Well done. Goldfinches and Canaries normally get on very well together, so well in fact that they will breed. The resultant offspring are called mules (google "goldfinch mule").
    Maybe next year we will see the sequel; "Son of Bob". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Esroh wrote: »
    Just discovered this thread and have been so impressed with yer work and effort and Bobs fight to survive.

Oh haven't you heard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Heard what?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭iamfromcork

Esroh wrote: »

Bob has had a silver spoon shoved up his ar*e since he was found, fresh fruit and veg, bird food and seed every day and a huge cage,Life of Reilly, wish i had it that easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

This thread is what it is......a funny/strange/silly/serious/no-right-no-wrong series of events and circumstances...and it's great.....thanks..& best of luck to Bob...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Oh haven't you heard?

This took me a second, but good God it might just be the best joke I have ever, ever, ever seen on the internet.

Jesus Christ, I tip my hat to you, that was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Bob has had a silver spoon shoved up his ar*e since he was found, fresh fruit and veg, bird food and seed every day and a huge cage,Life of Reilly, wish i had it that easy.

Maybe but as someone who has raised a few orphans in my time I would not have given him much hope from those first pics. You guys can be very proud of him and yourselves:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Only found this thread today, it's amazing. Good luck Bob! I found some baby birds (no idea what breed) that had fallen out of a nest once, but they died. I had no idea that a bird that young could be hand-reared to grow into a beautiful creature like Bob, fair play to ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

Wow! What a journey. Just found this thread and I'm so glad that he survived and that you shared his progress. Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Any new updates on Bob and his cage mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

no updates because there's nothing new going. we're still waiting for the red marks to come in to say if Bob is male or female. Anyone has an idea when that starts happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Black Heart

Apparently it happens between July and October, so not long now :)

Link:

www.ornitologia.org/publicacions/19_05_10.pdf

well the red marks seem to be coming in , i just thought at first that it was some kind of dirt lol, i'll put up another pic in a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Nice one:)
    How's Bob and canary getting on?

Nice one:)
    How's Bob and canary getting on?

Seem to be getting on great together and Bob doesn't snap at cede anymore which helps

bobsredness.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

I can't wait to see Bob in his full colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Bobs a credit to you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

he looks great .

• Advertisement

I'm afraid Bob is turning out to be a Sally after all :o
    ok, I'm only joking :rolleyes:

bob20-09-10.jpg

Bob's redness doesn't seems to extend much behind the eye but little feathers around the beak are black, photo below shows the difference between male and female, the one inset is male:

2375702080_c732508af1.jpg

what do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Bisexual Bob.

recedite wrote: »
    Bisexual Bob.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Just found this thread. More pics please!!!

Well done op (and op's boyfriend).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

j@utis wrote: »
    I'm afraid Bob is turning out to be a Sally after all :o
    ok, I'm only joking :rolleyes:

bob20-09-10.jpg

Bob's redness doesn't seems to extend much behind the eye but little feathers around the beak are black, photo below shows the difference between male and female, the one inset is male:

2375702080_c732508af1.jpg

what do you think?

I am going to stick my neck out. I think Bob is a Bob.

The nasal hairs don't lie. The red feathers are still "in pin" & growing ie still rolled up inside the waxy tube-like sheaths like a painting in a tube. When they fully emerge and finish growing, I bet Bob's red will come past the rear margin of his eye.

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Bob update please? :D

Love this thread.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Bob update please? :D

Love this thread.

ok, here's little update: CeDe the canary, now (finally after 4 months of thinking) has found the way out of the cage and back in there, so they both come out daily:

bobandceedee12-10-2010.jpg

Bob loves his grooming but wouldn't go into the bath. he watches CeDe having fun in the water but seems not to have enough courage to join her. I threw him into the bath myself couple of times, he panicked like mad to get out lol, I know I know - cruel me :o

bobloveshisgrooming12-10-10.jpg

an also, does anyone know if their nails need trimming? they (nails) are reaching some mad lengths now.

and I'm thinking about recording some of Bob's daily head-wrecking singing, just have to figure out how :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

You can get sandpaper for the bottom of the cage and the perch in most petshops to keep the claws filed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

lovely to see bob and canary again,you really did do a marvellous job.Well done.I love this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You could put in a bowl of sand for Bob to have a bath in instead of the water.

Trimming nails can be hazardess due to the blood vessel in the nail itself. Go down the sand paper route before you think about clipping them yourself.

Advertisement