Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people keep rottweiler and pitbulls?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

My friends sister had a pitbull or some kind bull terrier and my that dog was strong, it could pin you down and lick the face off you.
    I also have a rottweiler/german shepard cross bitch and she is the nicest dog I've ever seen, it's because she was trained properly. I do have trouble wrestling her:P but thats because she is very powerful.
    The only trouble i've had with her was having her out for a walk (I leave her off the lead because once I say heel she comes back to my side) and wasn't paying attention to her, I had to wait for my older dog to catch up. She when up to some guy and to be fair this guy was massive. He freak out by looking at her even though she was wagging her tail and he berated me saying it was a disgrace not having a dog on a lead. All I said was heel and she came and sat at my side.
    Dogs are only vicious if you mistreat them or train them that way. This dog was kept in a chicken coop for the first 4 months of her life and we still trained her to be loving.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

OP, have you ever actually met a rottie or a pitbull? They're gorgeous, big hearted clowns that want nothing more than to be loved and played with. I've never owned either breed and probably never will because my breeds of choice would be labs and huskies. However, I do know people with these dogs as pets and they make wonderful companions. That stupid restricted breed act makes me so mad because it breeds ignorance. Have you seen the list? German shepherds - the most commonly used dog breed by police and armed forces - are also on it. Make sense? No. That list penalises dog breeds when breed has nothing to do with it. Any dog if abused enough can become vicious; it's all about ignorance and bad dog ownership, nothing to do with breeds.

And to answer your original question; why do people have rottweilers and pittbulls? Because they want to, pure and simple. Dog ownership and breed preferance are a choice. No one has the right to judge someone because of the dog they choose to own (however, if they abuse that dog then judge away). Most rottie and pittbull owners would never judge someone else's choice of dog and I think they should be afforded that same courtesy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 babbar sher

I can understand why the OP is asking this question in the first place but honestly a dog is not responsible for being aggressive, its the owner who is responsible.

I have a rottie and he is the most loyal pet I ever had, more loyal than a close relative or friend. My dog would not even go on a walk with any other family member other than me or my partner. We have other dogs/ cats and kids around him & there is nothing to be worried about. The smaller dogs bully him, take his goodies etc and he doesn't care but when it comes to identifying threats and gaurding you against something, they are the best dogs. And I didn't get him for show off or other stuff, but I just wanted a bigger dog, it could have very well been a lazy st. bernard!

My jack russell and labrador are more aggressive than the rottie. Rotties are working/ herding dogs, they do not have the hunting instinct like jack russells and other small terriers. I would be more afraid to leave a small kid with the jack russell or labrador than the rottie.

People getting a dog should really try to learn about the type of dogs they want, the energy levels they can tolerate, whether they can fulfill the dogs needs of excercise & discipline. It happens a lot when people get a dog because they like the look of the dog or find it cute and then end up regretting it because the dogs don't meet their energy levels, the dog and/ or the owner end up frustrated which results in wrong behaviour from the dog and in some cases the owner of the dog. People should do even a couple of hours research and talk to the people who have similar dogs and then make a decision because a dog is for life. Its like someone getting a 2 seater sports car because it looks good and they love the make and its great to drive, but the person has a family of 6 so it ends up not meeting their needs. I know they're two different things but you can see what Im trying to say.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question people get rotties & bull breads because they like them and those dogs appeal to them, the same way a chihuaha would appeal to someone different. The same way people who like small dogs don't see the appeal in Rotties and other similar breeds, people who like rotties and bull breads mighn't see the use of a chihuaha or a pomeranian.

Oh also, one is wrong in saying those breeds can't be insured, I have all my dogs insured, including the rottie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

i-digress wrote: »
    Isn't jaw locking a myth?

Yes it is. The bull breeds are dogs like any other, they don't have any special chemical that kicks in to lock their jaws. Their jaws, and those of other breeds may be more powerful than some other dogs, but they do not lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Barr wrote: »
    Read your house policy.
    I have a policy for my Akita which includes bite cover , there is no extra levy for RB's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The first Rottie I ever met had a bad back because burgalers beat him up. I have never met a Rottie that wasn't a complete dote of a big soppy thing that'd slobber all over you, in fact I'd be tempted to get one myself if it weren't for the slobber.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

kylith wrote: »
    The first Rottie I ever met had a bad back because burgalers beat him up. I have never met a Rottie that wasn't a complete dote of a big soppy thing that'd slobber all over you, in fact I'd be tempted to get one myself if it weren't for the slobber.

They actually dont slobber much at all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

catthinkin wrote: »
    i own a kerry blue they have the same ability to lock their jaw like the pitbulls and are therefore considered dangerous
    Lock jaw is a myth and one which goes a long way to giving a certain impressions of these dogs. Lockjaw is an illness (tetanus I think) and is caught by humans.

picture.php?albumid=1146&pictureid=5906 GRRRRRRR

picture.php?albumid=1146&pictureid=6547Pillow dog

picture.php?albumid=1146&pictureid=6811 With friends 9year old brother who had previously been playing "drop" with a bone with him. The 2 sat on the blanket, the dog had a bone, boy would say drop, Harley would, then do a trick to get it back and it all started again.

picture.php?albumid=1146&pictureid=6810 As you can see the poor dog is regularly used as a pillow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Barr wrote: »
    I always thought these dogs were vicious by nature - maybe I'm wrong?

They are no more vicious than many other breeds of dogs. However, their capacity to cause harm when they do attack is much greater due to their strength and power.

With reference to the first post, many people choose to keep those breeds to "look hard"

No, it's not!! .

Sorry, but yes it is!!

Jaws do not lock, yes they are strong and you probably wouldnt be able to open them if they do not want you to, but as for actual locking, im sorry they dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ISDW wrote: »
    Yes it is. The bull breeds are dogs like any other, they don't have any special chemical that kicks in to lock their jaws. Their jaws, and those of other breeds may be more powerful than some other dogs, but they do not lock.
    The myth is actually that bull breeds have a specially designed jawbone that can be "clicked" into place to interlock with the skull and prevent it from being opened.

Complete and utter nonsense of course, but since when did anyone in the media correct an inaccuracy?

I still remember a few years back walking down the quays in Dublin, pissed out of my brains, walking entirely the wrong way to get the bus home. I passed by a big yard with a fence around it and as I passed (wobbled) by the gates, two rottie guard dogs barked at me and came running over. I kneeled down, starting babbling to the dogs and their tails started wagging. So I stuck my fingers in through the fence (:o), and I got a lick and the two dogs then ran back across the yard.

Not saying that sticking my fingers in through the fence wasn't really, really stupid, but if these breeds were inherently vicious, then I should be fingerless on my right hand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

nipplenuts wrote: »
    They are no more vicious than many other breeds of dogs. However, their capacity to cause harm when they do attack is much greater due to their strength and power.

With reference to the first post, A FEW people choose to keep those breeds to "look hard"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

nipplenuts wrote: »
    many people choose to keep those breeds to "look hard"

I make my dogs look soft :p

People see us walking down the street and mutter "Jesus look at the head on your man" and leg it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

People see us walking down the street and mutter "Jesus look at the head on your man" and leg it.

haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I wouldn't get a pitbull or rottweiler, but I guess people get them for the same reason they get any dog, they just like the breed, for it's personality and/or looks.

I don't know any pitbulls or rottweiler, I met one pitbull type dog, it was a cross of a few different bull breeds probably, it was the scariest dog ever! But perfectly well trained. :) But I've met and/or heard of aggressive ones, so I'd avoid getting one, same with any other breed I've experienced being aggressive really. And I don't think I'd be careful enough with training and everything to have one.

And yeah a lot of people get them to look hard, or as a guard dog, but not everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

This is my lil fella

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

I feckin love him Ricardo G :D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Ricardo G wrote: »
    This is my lil fella

He's a lovely staff ricardo. Love their smile!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Went to Spain on hols for week recently, was heartbroken and on the verge of crying (i'm 29 year old man) lol leaving him behind for 1 whole week, best companion ever he is !!:) worse than kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Went to Spain on hols for week recently, was heartbroken and on the verge of crying (i'm 29 year old man) lol leaving him behind for 1 whole week, best companion ever he is !!:) worse than kids...

OP I know that your post is regarding pits and rotts, but staffies are very similar in nature to pit bulls and I think this ^^^ should answer your query

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

The reasons I got my Rottweiler were:
    I've had GSD's for as long as I can remember but when my last girl died almost 4 years ago I was too heartbroken to get another one so I searched for a breed with similar traits to the GSD and always seemed to come back to the Rottweiler. Now that I have one I don't think I will ever be without one. They are a spectacular looking dog, incredibly intelligent and intensely loyal to name just a few of their attributes. I love that they are couch potatoes in the house but at a moments notice they will go on 2 hour hike with you and never tire. I love that they are so family orientated that they would lay down their lives without a moments thought for themselves to protect the ones they love. I love that despite my Rotties amazing strength she can play with my nieces, nephews, cat and Chihuahua and never use a fraction of that strength and I love the remarkable dignity they show in the face of bias and ignorace. Really my question would be, why don't more people keep these dogs???
    picture.php?albumid=1172&pictureid=6087

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

andreac wrote: »
    They actually dont slobber much at all.:)
    Don't tempt me! :D

Here's my little monster being seriously menaced by a big, bad rottie (it waggled it's bum at her in a frightful manner) :D
    20585919a7593661181l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is my lil fella
    champ's done a number on the hardwood eh? :pac: the handscraped look: people pay extra for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

classic bud

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Hi OP,

I think your snappy one line questions and retorts are pretty annoying and I'm 99% sure you're trolling, but I'm in the mood for feeding you.

I was born to pet loving parents who already had a GSD and a couple of Siamese cats before I came along. Me and the dog developed a bond so strong that I feel sorry for kids who grow up without experiencing something like it. In every photo of me as a child she is between me and the gate, or road, or open door or any danger. We shared everything and I still miss her. Even now as a thirty something I still have her collar and treasure the hundreds of photos of the two of us. For those reasons I would call myself a 'dog person'.

When I bought my own house I got the opportunity to get my 'own' dog. A dog to me is something that can take a day up the mountains or on the beach mucking around. Something I can wrestle and play fight with. Something with tons of mischievous personality. I also wanted a dog I could appreciate aesthetically, which in my eyes is neat, short coat and defined musculature. Something proud and noble. Maybe that will go some way to explain to you why not everyone wants a Cavalier? I appreciate Cavs very much for what they are, but if I wanted something like that I'd get a cat to be honest.

I've known many Rotties (three generations in one family) and they are absolute teddy bears. Beautiful dogs physically and mentally. They are stable, intelligent and loyal companions.

I had no experience of Staffords but they seemed to tick all the boxes, so I did the following. Bought and read books on them. Researched them online. Went to dog shows and talked to breeders. Became friends with a guy and his dogs on this forum. Suitably educated, I now own one and can honestly say it was the best decision I ever made and I will never own a different breed of dog. My OH has also thanked me for convincing her to go Staffordshire and 'can't imagine the house without her'.

I was ignorant but opened minded and now I'm converted. You're just ignorant full stop. People have answered your questions already but you don't seem to see that.

My Princess:
    Zola109.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Bonito wrote: »
    Moar pictures of the woof woofs. :)

Love it! Main reason I come on here..

This little thing
    DSC00131.jpg
    Len031-1.jpg

Stole my heart
    Zola042.jpg

kylith wrote: »
    Don't tempt me! :D

Here's my little monster being seriously menaced by a big, bad rottie (it waggled it's bum at her in a frightful manner) :D
    20585919a7593661181l.jpg

Was that a walk in the Phoenix park a few years ago?? Think i was there, Mine was the big male rottie, im nearly sure i was there in that walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

1st pic is cool:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

CL32 wrote: »
    A dog to me is something that can take a day up the mountains or on the beach mucking around. Something I can wrestle and play fight with. Something with tons of mischievous personality. I also wanted a dog I could appreciate aesthetically, which in my eyes is neat, short coat and defined musculature. Something proud and noble. Maybe that will go some way to explain to you why not everyone wants a Cavalier?
    great part of the post. Maybe will help the OP understand why some people choose certain dogs.

I think that a dog should be able to walk long distances and enjoy it, they should swim, play in mud, act like little brats when excited ;). An athletic and fit dog is a great addition to our family. Maybe not every family, but it suits us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

lrushe wrote: »
    The reasons I got my Rottweiler were:
    I've had GSD's for as long as I can remember but when my last girl died almost 4 years ago I was too heartbroken to get another one so I searched for a breed with similar traits to the GSD and always seemed to come back to the Rottweiler. Now that I have one I don't think I will ever be without one. They are a spectacular looking dog, incredibly intelligent and intensely loyal to name just a few of their attributes. I love that they are couch potatoes in the house but at a moments notice they will go on 2 hour hike with you and never tire. I love that they are so family orientated that they would lay down their lives without a moments thought for themselves to protect the ones they love. I love that despite my Rotties amazing strength she can play with my nieces, nephews, cat and Chihuahua and never use a fraction of that strength and I love the remarkable dignity they show in the face of bias and ignorace. Really my question would be, why don't more people keep these dogs???
    picture.php?albumid=1172&pictureid=6087

Very nicely said. :)

And gorgeous pics of all the dogs guys, especially the puppy ones. Made my heart melt!

Advertisement