Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people keep rottweiler and pitbulls?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

CL32 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for kids who grow up without experiencing something like it.
    Nerd time; There's an episode of Stargate where a girl from an alien planet is rescued and brought to live on earth. At the end of the episode, Richard Dean Anderson gives her a present of a dog and tells her that there's a rule on earth: Every kid has to have a dog.
    I've always loved that line, I think it should be a law :D

Obligatory pics (it's bloody impossible to keep her still, she doesn't like the camera)
    picture.php?albumid=1141&pictureid=5881
    picture.php?albumid=1141&pictureid=5882

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Seen as we're posting pics :D

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG

...and about to devour a poor innocent Cavalier :)

IMG_3042.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

froog wrote: »
    pitbulls are such intimidating beasts, bred to maim. people have have an urge to keep them must be compensating for something else.

...you didn't read the thread, did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

pitbulls are such intimidating beasts, bred to maim. people have have an urge to keep them must be compensating for something else.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: priceless

people who troll on internet forums are obviously compensating for something else too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please get your facts straight, they are not bred to maim:mad:

Theres a lot more i could say but i would probably get in trouble if i said what i was thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

they may appear to be intimidating to you, don't judge a book by it's cover , Having you ever had an interaction with a pitbull or rottweiler to back up your statment that they are intimidating?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

That's a fairly pathetic contribution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Calm down or have a break from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I find this rather interesting as it demonstrates nicely the blinkered approach some people have. Despite evidence to the contrary, platitudes and lies are repeated and become "truth" just because people who never met an APBT and get their "knowledge" from more than questionable sources say so.

This approach is rather symptomatic in our modern life. We are too lazy or can't be bothered to find out for ourselves, so we repeat what we hear and it becomes gospel.

Very sad indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

andreac wrote: »
    Was that a walk in the Phoenix park a few years ago?? Think i was there, Mine was the big male rottie, im nearly sure i was there in that walk.
    It was indeed at that walk. My terrier doesn't usually get on well with other dogs, but the Rotties were so calm and laid back that she got on great with them. That picture is actually the first time she ever played with another dog.

Speaking of restricted breeds and the people who keep them; I saw a large Akita being walked by a gentleman in his 70s this morning. It was very well behaved and was being menaced by a JRT.

kylith wrote: »
    Speaking of restricted breeds and the people who keep them; I saw a large Akita being walked by a gentleman in his 70s this morning. It was very well behaved and was being menaced by a JRT.

:D you'd be amazed how often they get menaced by little dogs without batting an eye. My cavs do hang out of both my akitas all the time and it often happens with other small dogs when we're out walking them :D They're another breed of big soppy dogs with a bad name

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

It is the damage that a dog can do and not the likelihood that it could attack, which is central to a dog's restricted status, he explained.

"The idea of saying a breed is dangerous is neither here nor there. The reason certain breeds are restricted is not because they are more likely to bite but because, if they do attack, they are more likely to kill you.

I take issue with this part of that article because if thats the case why are Labs, St. Bernards, Great Danes, Boxers and other medium - large breeds not included? Surely given their size they are equally as likely to do as much damage as any of the dogs on the RB list :confused:

I know this is an argument that has prob raised its head on this forum before

antomagoo wrote: »
    I take issue with this part of that article because if thats the case why are Labs, St. Bernards, Great Danes, Boxers and other medium - large breeds not included? Surely given their size they are equally as likely to do as much damage as any of the dogs on the RB list :confused:

I couldn't agree more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

antomagoo wrote: »

I think it might be something to with the structure of the skull affecting the power behind a bite...so a rotie bite on average has more pressure than a lab bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

i-digress wrote: »
    I think it might be something to with the structure of the skull affecting the power behind a bite...so a rotie bite on average has more pressure than a lab bite.

Do you know how many breeds have Mastiff (which have a powerful bite pressure) in their make up Labs , Boxers, St. Bernards, Great Danes, Bernese Mountain Dogs to name just a few as well as Rotties and Pits. Mastiffs are such an ancient breed you'd be hard pressed to find a larger breed that hasn't had it's influence in them yet there is just a select few like Rotties and Pits that are black listed? Doesn't make any sense to me

lrushe wrote: »
    Do you know how many breeds have Mastiff (which have a powerful bite pressure) in their make up Labs , Boxers, St. Bernards, Great Danes, Bernese Mountain Dogs to name just a few as well as Rotties and Pits. Mastiffs are such an ancient breed you'd be hard pressed to find a larger breed that has had it's influence in them yet there is just a select few like Rotties and Pits that are black listed? Doesn't make any sense to me

I did actually, and I know that if a lab bites with force you can be injured/killed. But I thought the shape of the skull did have something to do with how dangerous a dog is perceived to be. I would imagine a bite from a show line labrador would be worse than that from a working line, because the former have 'blockier' heads.

I could be wrong though.

The list was drawn up as a knee-jerk reaction by POLITICIANS. That pretty much says it all - the breeds were picked nilly-willy due to perception of Joe Public and their reps.

There was neither logic nor scientific research applied.

• Advertisement

As to biting power:
    Dr. Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia states, "To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs.

There are, moreover, compelling technical reasons why such data describing biting power in terms of "pounds per square inch" can never be collected in a meaningful way. All figures describing biting power in such terms can be traced to either unfounded rumor or, in some cases, to newspaper articles with no foundation in factual data."

Having been the victim of a Lab attack a few years back and having escaped by the skin of my teeth with my life, I am and always will be an advocate of Deed NOT Breed. I also believe that up until now the only ones paying the price are the victims and the dogs. NOT ONE dog owner in Ireland has been meaningful prosecuted after his/her dog attacked a human.

One of the worst bites I have ever received apart from the 100+ stitches I got after the Lab attack was from a Greyhound. It took a grown man to get him off my hand, he had no intention of letting go.

At the end of the day, my 5 yro son could be killed by a much smaller and "weaker" dog than a Lab or Pit Bull.

Strangely enough, non Bull Breed attacks on humans rarely make it into the news. Surely a cute little Andrex dog doesn't get the same attention on a front page dog attack story than the Bull Breeds. Money talks - as per usual.

Look at those number and then tell me they are more likely to attack:

http://www.atts.org/stats1.html

Check out the other breeds who were tested and the amount of test dogs in each breed.

Oh and check out the stats on the Lab :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Barr wrote: »
    I always thought these dogs were vicious by nature - maybe I'm wrong?

The most vicious are the small dogs, i have a jack russell and these the most aggresive dog ive ever seen, we're taking him for training soon!

EGAR wrote: »

Check out the other breeds who were tested and the amount of test dogs in each breed.

I don't know if this is in answer to me, I was answering the question as to why people think that certain big dogs are more dangerous than others. I never said RB's were more likely to attack than labs, just that they may do more damage than others on average when they do. I never said labs had a better temperament, just maybe a less powerful jaw.

i-digress wrote: »
    I would imagine a bite from a show line labrador would be worse than that from a working line, because the former have 'blockier' heads.

I could be wrong though.

No you would be right but it would be more because a working Lab would be bred to have a soft mouth for carrying game without damaging the flesh, however this characteristic wouldn't be readily seen in you run of the mill Lab and therefore (in my eyes) can inflict as much damage as any other breed of its size.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The list was drawn up as a knee-jerk reaction by POLITICIANS. That pretty much says it all - the breeds were picked nilly-willy due to perception of Joe Public and their reps.

There was neither logic nor scientific research applied.
    "Ah, its awwwful joe. The mouth on them. I'm terrified. Completely terrrrrified to walk my little snookums..."

Wow, suprised by the Bearded Collie, almost half tested failed. If that doesn't prove you can't judge a book by its cover nothing will :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive been around most of the breeds on the so called dangerous dogs list and never once in my life have I ever come across a downright aggressive sample of any of the breeds on it.

Ive only ever been bitten twice in a purely aggressive manner by 2 dogs and both were terriers--One a jack russel and the other a Westie.Snappy little fookers both of them.

Ive personally always found larger breeds less aggressive than smaller dogs--Its a bit like the little person syndrome.They have to make up for their lack of size by being more aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

lrushe wrote: »
    Wow, suprised by the Bearded Collie, almost half tested failed. If that doesn't prove you can't judge a book by its cover nothing will :eek:

Having had two Beardies now, I would suspect that the sudden noise test (gunshot) is the one they failed ...total panic merchants when it comes to noise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The most vicious are the small dogs, i have a jack russell and these the most aggresive dog ive ever seen, we're taking him for training soon!

I coach Judo if your interested :P

Advertisement