Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Its not the 1st time a series ended with Darren getting shot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

tbh wrote: »
    Remember people, RTE don't MAKE the show, they BUY the show. And I have a feeling they'll have to pay more for S4 than S3.

There was a thread in AH about the two lads from the westies who got killed in Spain and everyone was saying how they got what was coming to them, no great loss etc. Then one of their brothers posted saying how his brother was the best brother in world, how he'd been there for him when their father died, when he was getting bullied in school etc. Last nights ep was the reverse of that - we were shocked when Darren got it because we liked him and we liked him because we got to see his human side. If we'd read about his shooting in the paper, we'd have never thought twice about it. Remember nidge saying Darren was decent? And we believed him?

Knew Darren was going to get it, its been obvious from the first ep - he's had a lot less screen time and lines in this series. When he got away from Elmo I thought there's going to be a twist and there was, but not the one I was expecting. Great ep, and great series. I liked the way it focused on a single story this time, made it move a lot faster.

Could it be moved to ITV/UTV if RTE dont cough up the cash as in the credits ITV are mentioned. And on HULU its mentioned as an ITV backed series iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Mc Love wrote: »
    Could it be moved to ITV/UTV if RTE dont cough up the cash as in the credits ITV are mentioned. And on HULU its mentioned as an ITV backed series iirc

Check out the wikipedia page linked to.
    RTE have a deal with ITV on distribution I believe.
    But the fact that they commissioned it probably means they have a fair bit of "power" about where it is shown/sold to.
    The series is broadcast in Scotland on STV.[3] RTÉ International and the shows producers signed an international broadcasting deal with ITV Studios Global Entertainment. ITV Global will help market and distribute the show internationally.[4] It has been well received,[5] and has won eight Irish Film & Television Awards, seven of them in 2012.[6]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Nidge is such a weasel

Of course he is :P

VTlX0l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Neeson wrote: »

Do you have a link to that thread?

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2054963419?page=5

Second last post. Never forgotten it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mc Love wrote: »

While it's true that RTE don't make the show they do commission it. It's not like it's getting made without them as they do put up a good bit of the cash. I don't think they makers would be allowed move it - I imagine RTE would certainly have first refusal on a new series at least.

ITV are responsible for distribution of the series but does anyone know how much of the funding they put in?

I can't see it going elsewhere to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Darren rang fran before he died to tell him about what nidge done to his ex, you heard it here first....Crap ending, to obvious he was gonna die, he had signed up for a series in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Odds are Octagon will do a deal with ITV, it'll wind up on ITV4 initially (one of their lesser channels). Its already been sold to Scotland and Australia AFAIK.
    Their problem will always be that daft first series that doesn't fit in with the last two.
    As an above poster stated, RTE will have first rights to it. I'd expect a bigger budget next season resulting in new characters. This shower cannot be the only gang in Dublin (last count by the Evening Herald said 24, we'll halve that for reality and say 12). The guards do need bringing in - they're not all idiots as was hinted at in ep.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Scripts currently being finished for next series. I won't give away much, but the show is going to be making some significant changes in its approach. Same plot, different angle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

I think they could do a Limerick series and they could explore the whole area of gangland crime spreading to the small towns.

No thanks. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

vard wrote: »
    Scripts currently being finished for next series. I won't give away much, but the show is going to be making some significant changes in its approach. Same plot, different angle ;)
    Stop pretending like you have inside knowledge about series 4. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

[Comment only available for Boards® Gold™ account holders]

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Stiltzkin wrote: »
    Stop pretending like you have inside knowledge about series 4. :pac:

If I was sad enough to pretend I'd at least pick something with a bit more clout!

Wait and see, not as if I can get away with bull****ting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Darren rang fran before he died to tell him about what nidge done to his ex, you heard it here first....Crap ending, to obvious he was gonna die, he had signed up for a series in the UK

What series in the UK?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

my mate mentioned earlier there was rumours darren would get clipped.

when he got clipped by aido but survived I knew they wouldn't kill him off.

How wrong I was.

RIP Dazzler.

Would have to agree that Love/Hate is the best Irish drama I have seen, not that I have seen many.

I was recommended to watch it by someone who is involved in the show, telling me that I would love it if I like The Wire. Unfortunately, this meant I expected too much, and would have preferred to go into it expecting nothing.

I would have to say that the show's biggest downfall (in my opinion) is that I really don't care for any of the characters. By the time Darren was killed, I was way past caring for him in any way, no matter how 'human' they tried to make him appear. He had gone from a fairly likeable guy who seemed to be caught up in a lifestyle that wasn't really him, to a guy who would have no problems 'clipping' anyone, anytime. Not to mention the clothes he wore and the way he walked had even started to get on my nerves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

RainyDay wrote: »
    What series in the UK?

He's been in a bunch of stuff. Check out his wikipedia article.

I know it's already been mentioned, but defo best scene of the series finale by a long shot!

QOzoV.png

:D

vard wrote: »

Do you work for Octagon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Darren died as he lived ...with both arms at right angles to his body :D

Hitchens wrote: »
    Darren died as he lived ...with both arms at right angles to his body :D

:D
    Yes In fairness when you are meant to be lying low and yet you walk around like Mickey Maguire from Shameless in the exact same clothes every day then you can expect to be clipped at some stage. He is lying like a lad who stopped half way making snow angels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Great finale to the series, and I didn't see the Lizzie thing coming.

The only downpoint was the absurd notion that Darren and his single handgun could scare off 3 or 4 of Dano's crew who were armed to the teeth.

Getting Nidge was not authorised by the RA so I'd say they got the fu*k outta dodge.

They would not have been expecting anyone ambushing them the way Darren did and considering Darren had already shot dead one of the lads and they had crashed one of their 2 cars I don't see why considering all of the above that they would hang around.

I don't see why people have to pick holes in it. You watch any production from Hollywood right down to TG4 they all have things in them you could nit pick at. I enjoy it for what it is.

It is f*cking fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

anyone know get the boxset yet?

Getting Nidge was not authorised by the RA so I'd say they got the fu*k outta dodge.

They would not have been expecting anyone ambushing them the way Darren did and considering Darren had already shot dead one of the lads and they had crashed one of their 2 cars I don't see why considering all of the above that they would hang around.

I don't see why people have to pick holes in it. You watch any production from Hollywood right down to TG4 they all have things in them you could nit pick at. I enjoy it for what it is.

It is f*cking fantastic.

Exactly and in fairness the police sirens were beginning to sound in the distance. Surprised the cops didn't even mention Darren last week considering they raided his flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm of the view that Nidge didn't want Darren dead, that he knew there was a big chance that Elmo would **** it up. I don't think Elmo would have done it for money so to say, but Nidge had one up on him to be able to convince him to do it in order to bring and end to him having to be on the run.

Then his reaction on the phone when he heard Lizzie shooting him, unless that was just to act up in front of Thrish, but I think otherwise.
    I think the reaction was genuine, but he was surprised when he got the call.

The final scenes were all actually well done.
    In the last series, there was a fairly big turning point when Nidge is talking to Darren and says that he doesn't give a fnck about anyone or anything except himself and his son. While Nidge's character had up to then been portrayed as a bit of a happy-go-lucky moron like Tommy, that speech exposed his real nature. This culminated in him arranging for John Boy's death and then basically robbing John Boy as he died.

This side of Nidge's character was then effectively the main plot device of this season, happy to fnck over everyone and everything for personal gain. When Trish finds him crying in the bedroom and he says he doesn't know why he's crying, he genuinely may not know, he might not understand why he gives a **** about Darren.

Two clean shots in the head seems a bit OTT for Darren's death, but it's possibly intended to be representative of the savagery inherent in the lifestyle. There's no sentimentality from Lizzie, no last-minute tears as Darren dies, just straightforward "bang bang, you're dead, fnck you", Darren didn't even know who it was.
    It also removes any possibility of rumours of another Jesus-like resurrection of Darren in series 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

seamus wrote: »
    I think the reaction was genuine, but he was surprised when he got the call.

The final scenes were all actually well done.
    In the last series, there was a fairly big turning point when Nidge is talking to Darren and says that he doesn't give a fnck about anyone or anything except himself and his son. While Nidge's character had up to then been portrayed as a bit of a happy-go-lucky moron like Tommy, that speech exposed his real nature. This culminated in him arranging for John Boy's death and then basically robbing John Boy as he died.

This side of Nidge's character was then effectively the main plot device of this season, happy to fnck over everyone and everything for personal gain. When Trish finds him crying in the bedroom and he says he doesn't know why he's crying, he genuinely may not know, he might not understand why he gives a **** about Darren.

Two clean shots in the head seems a bit OTT for Darren's death, but it's possibly intended to be representative of the savagery inherent in the lifestyle. There's no sentimentality from Lizzie, no last-minute tears as Darren dies, just straightforward "bang bang, you're dead, fnck you", Darren didn't even know who it was.
    It also removes any possibility of rumours of another Jesus-like resurrection of Darren in series 4.

Having looked back over the last 5 minutes. Darran was shot twice in the head. He will certainly not be back and if he is it will make a mockery of the show.

It's hard to say for 100% that it was Lizzie who shot him but the looks hell of a lot like her.

Having looked back over the last 5 minutes. Darran was shot twice in the head. He will certainly not be back and if he is it will make a mockery of the show.

It's hard to say for 100% that it was Lizzie who shot him but the looks hell of a lot like her.

It's definitely her. Who else would it be? Some new character that they've plucked out of nowhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

Sorry for slightly getting off track. The box set was supposed to be in hmv and none of them got it. Very disappointing. For weeks now it's been advertised we can buy it there from today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

iPearly wrote: »
    Sorry for slightly getting off track. The box set was supposed to be in hmv and none of them got it. Very disappointing. For weeks now it's been advertised we can buy it there from today.
    Did you try xtra vision? They were advertising it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

anyone know get the boxset yet?

I assume your asking did any one buy the boxset yet ?
    Its released today & available from rte & xtravision for €24.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

Extravision sold out:|

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement