Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

royal irish regiment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

RMD wrote: »
    If you follow the get fit plan on the website you'll more than likely be grand, it's designed for applicants after all.

That's true, if you have the timescale that it allows for. I thought it was a bit basic myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

discus wrote: »
    The biggest mistake I've seen guys make is with the gym, ShaneW1986.

1) You are tested on your run - so use a park, path or road and start running.

2) You are tested on chin ups - so start lashing a few out on bars every time you get a chance.

3) You get a tough gym session using bodyweight exercises - so practise sprinting, push-ups, sit ups, squats, pull-ups, chin ups and burpees.

Dedicate time to 1,2 and 3 first. If you have a bit of extra time, throw in some cycling, swimming or the gym. Your run and chin ups are the most important. There is usually a huge range between the best and the worst in terms of these.

edit: I'd be interested in Rockagusrolls take on it - he's been through as well - he might denounce my post as ****, or at least have some other advice :)

I'd agree fully with that, just make sure to get a lot of training in beforehand, as they say ''Fail To Prepare, Prepare To Fail''.
    Also practice your ice-breaker too, seems to be the toughest part for a lot of people.
    Best of luck

Also practice your ice-breaker too, seems to be the toughest part for a lot of people.

Yeah! **** me, I didn't realise how many people would find it tough! I'm used to presentations and such from university and work - but some lads had an awful time. There was 1 lad on my pre-ADSC who couldn't get a word out.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

discus wrote: »
    Yeah! **** me, I didn't realise how many people would find it tough! I'm used to presentations and such from university and work - but some lads had an awful time. There was 1 lad on my pre-ADSC who couldn't get a word out.

Yea I was at the same pre-adsc as discus and the poor lad couldn't get a word out, just goes to show, practice will do ya the world of good!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ShaneW1986

Thanks discus & rockagusroll for the info and advice!

Just quick questions to anyone who knows the answers? How often do you actually get out in the field in the british army? And other than the obvious afganistan how often are overseas tours available, and where are they most likely to send you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭SamuelFox

ShaneW1986 wrote: »
    How often do you actually get out in the field in the british army?
    In the Infantry you will be out almost every day, either in the local area, on the ranges or on a training area. You won't be bored!

And other than the obvious afganistan how often are overseas tours available, and where are they most likely to send you?
    Afghan is the main effort so thats where you will go. Its not like the Irish Army where you volunteer as an individual - in the UK your regiment will go somewhere and you will go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ShaneW1986

Ok guys for anyone thats interested quick update on my BARB had it last thursday and got a 61 and knew I had made a couple of silly mistakes but no need for a higher score, highest need for any job is 60 i think?!? So no problems there for infantry.

Nice one. Now all you need to worry about it fitness:D!! Start bashing out pull ups, chin ups, push ups, sit ups and a bit of running. Once ya start seeing an improvement, start recording speed, distance, number of pull ups etc. And let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Just to interest you here lads, I had recently discovered through old records that my great grandfather had fought in the disbanded RIR many decades ago. He was only a member for six months from January to June of 1917. His name was James Dwyer.

He was born and raised in Enniscorthy in Co. Wexford. He was from grandfather's side of my family. His wife's name was Mary Dwyer.

James Dwyer had lived through bad health all his life, since he was born with asthma and bronchitis.

One of the places that I understand was from his Old Medical Report, was in Gallipoli.

His son who became my Grandfather was named Thomas Dwyer, who then was renamed Thomas O'Dwyer. He worked as a Postman for An Post.

He lived in both Phibsboro and Blackrock, Co.Dublin for many years. My Grandfather died of Cardiac arrest in November 1997.

I did found the history very interesting and surprising IMO.

I'd don't think I would be able to join the forces in the UK because I am not known personally to have a hard personality. I am generally a nice person, but I do my limit's when talking to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'd don't think I would be able to join the forces in the UK because I am not known personally to have a hard personality. I am generally a nice person, but I do my limit's when talking to other people.

I don't mind admitting that I find your comment very odd, to say the least. Are you saying that applicants for the British Army need to be a bunch of mindless thugs?

Those are not the people that I served with for almost 33 years all but a week.

Whether or not you care about it, you are also insulting the many thousands of Irishmen who are currently in the British Army by your inference.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

That's one of the most misinformed comments I've ever read on an internet forum!!! What exactly is your definition of hard?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

That's one of the most misinformed comments I've ever read on an internet forum!!! What exactly is your definition of hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think it would be best to disregard my previous comment. I know personally, I made a complete mess of it. I just spent too long on Boards yesterday. So, Forgive Me!

What I was trying to say that the Military is not the right path for me.

I feel that for me it is too much of a burden. The lads are bigger and stronger than me, They do eat and exercise a lot more then me and I won't be able to get that strong in my life. I am about 5ft 2inches in height. And I have a small weight.

Also, I wouldn't be able to go to places such as Pakistan or Afghanistan, because, I would be instantly terrified of going to them.

It's just that I thought the information about my great grandfather was very interesting. I am proud that he fought as a soldier, Even his soldier rank is unknown to me. I have to ask my relatives about that when I can do so to give me more information.

It doesn't mean that I disrespect the Armed Forces, I think they do a fine job of fighting the enemies of our nature. There is huge respect from my family on whatever he did for the country. I don't expect that respect to change any time soon.

One of the places that I understand was from his Old Medical Report, was in Gallipoli.

It is always of great interest to find out what your own relatives did, particularly as yours took part on one of the greatest debacles and defeats inflicted on the British Empire and its allies in the entire WW1.

See - 6th (Service) Battalion
    Formed at Dublin in August 1914 as part of K1 and attached to 29th Brigade in 10th (Irish) Division. Moved to the Curragh in February 1915.May 1915 : moved to Hackwood Park (Basingstoke).
    7 July 1915: embarked at Liverpool and sailed to Gallipoli via Mudros. Landed Anzac Cove 5 August 1915.
    29 September 1915 : moved via Mudros to Salonika, arriving 4-5 October.
    September 1917 : moved to Egypt for service in Palestine.
    15 May 1918 : disbanded at Deir-el-Nidham.

Please note the highlighted dates and compare that with your comment - He was only a member for six months from January to June of 1917. His name was James Dwyer.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Did your GGfather survive the war? If so, there ARE ways of finding out more about him. And if he died, then you can find where he is buried, and like me, go visit a grave and have a few quiet words.

Standing at MY grandfather's grave a few years back, I was reminded that I was standing next to the closest relative I had. It was very sobering, I can admit to you.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

My GGrandfather was in the Royal Inniskilling fusiliers. He was seriously wounded on Harts Hill (another debacle) during the relief of ladysmith. He was invalided out, but joined up again in 1914 (I don't think he ever really left as addresses we have for him link him to the movements of the 2nd Battalion).

Whilst we have had trouble tracking his war record, we believe he was at the Somme and then transferred to Gallipoli. He survived that war but although my father knew him, he can't remember him speaking and like most, never talked of his experience.

Not surprising really, no one could go through that and not be seriously affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Many Military service records relating to WW1 were destroyed during the Blitz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think it would be best to disregard my previous comment. I know personally, I made a complete mess of it. I just spent too long on Boards yesterday. So, Forgive Me!

What I was trying to say that the Military is not the right path for me.

I feel that for me it is too much of a burden. The lads are bigger and stronger than me, They do eat and exercise a lot more then me and I won't be able to get that strong in my life. I am about 5ft 2inches in height. And I have a small weight.

Also, I wouldn't be able to go to places such as Pakistan or Afghanistan, because, I would be instantly terrified of going to them.

It's just that I thought the information about my great grandfather was very interesting. I am proud that he fought as a soldier, Even his soldier rank is unknown to me. I have to ask my relatives about that when I can do so to give me more information.

It doesn't mean that I disrespect the Armed Forces, I think they do a fine job of fighting the enemies of our nature. There is huge respect from my family on whatever he did for the country. I don't expect that respect to change any time soon.

I've met a Guardsman who was only around your height. If you wanted it enough your size would only stop you if you let it. Though the military life isn't for everyone and there's nothing wrong with that either.

Many Military service records relating to WW1 were destroyed during the Blitz.

That's quite true - many of the documents on-line relating to my G'father's rather inventive version of his life are singed at the edges. In particular those regarding his enforced repatriation to face his wife and daughter that he had deserted immediately prior to joining up...

tac

I've met a Guardsman who was only around your height. If you wanted it enough your size would only stop you if you let it. Though the military life isn't for everyone and there's nothing wrong with that either.

Hmmm... It wasn't niknak by any chance was it?! Met him myself a few months ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jeff daly

Just after coming across this on a RIR google search and it seems that a small number of writers actually are more informative than any other BA website iv been on so i joined this in order to see if any of ye can settle a small issue hopefully..

im 23, a mechanic, got sick **** of the same boring no excitement, pissing your life away existence of it and decided to go back to college.. But 6months in, my grant got denied so an id to pull out or come up with 2700 in 2wks:confused:
    The only constant in my life has this dream of being a soldier and being the very best in my field. I just kept putting it off to be "sensible" and work a 9 to 5.. And now that ive come to the firm belief i wont be happy doing anything else, the irish army are dead in the water, not that they wer my first choice anyway but closer to home and family..
    my problem with the BA is i cant seem to find an answer to this one question anywhere.
    From the word go, how often would i get to come home as ive\a 3 year old daughter who means the world to me and even though my only passion is to join the army, in truth i dont know if id cope being away for her for weeks on end when not doing a tour of duty abroad. as in when im in england how often could i get home an see her. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Contact BA recruitment in NI and ask them. Their answers will give you a good idea of the reality of your situation.

Good luck whatever you decide and consider REME in view of your skillset.

Dogwatch wrote: »
    Contact BA recruitment in NI and ask them. Their answers will give you a good idea of the reality of your situation.

Good luck whatever you decide and consider REME in view of your skillset.

+1 on that one.

An already mechanic-minded noob would certainly have a better time of being a VM in REME than as an infantry soldier, too, IMO. Mind you, you do get detachments and postings with vehicle or armoured vehicle workshops and LADs [a smaller sub-unit]. So you could still end up anywhere, for sure. However, the training you'd be getting in the BA is worth tens of thousands of £/eu - you'll not get anything better, that's for sure, unless you had a RR apprenticeship.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

jeff daly wrote: »
    Just after coming across this on a RIR google search and it seems that a small number of writers actually are more informative than any other BA website iv been on so i joined this in order to see if any of ye can settle a small issue hopefully..

im 23, a mechanic, got sick **** of the same boring no excitement, pissing your life away existence of it and decided to go back to college.. But 6months in, my grant got denied so an id to pull out or come up with 2700 in 2wks:confused:
    The only constant in my life has this dream of being a soldier and being the very best in my field. I just kept putting it off to be "sensible" and work a 9 to 5.. And now that ive come to the firm belief i wont be happy doing anything else, the irish army are dead in the water, not that they wer my first choice anyway but closer to home and family..
    my problem with the BA is i cant seem to find an answer to this one question anywhere.
    From the word go, how often would i get to come home as ive\a 3 year old daughter who means the world to me and even though my only passion is to join the army, in truth i dont know if id cope being away for her for weeks on end when not doing a tour of duty abroad. as in when im in england how often could i get home an see her. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you..

Once your phase 1 training is over you will get most weekends off unless you're on guard. You can also try to get posted to the North (not by any means guaranteed) though I don't know off the top of my head if there is a REME regiment there at the moment. It's doable but will be tough and you'll end up spending a fortune on flights. You just need to decide yourself if it's worth it ( having done it myself I would say yes)

@Jeff Daly - From what you are saying I'm guessing that you are not married to your daughter's mom?

Or even living with her?

Else you'd be entitled to a Married Quarter at whatever unit you were based at.

tac

• Administrators Posts: 53,367 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thanks discus & rockagusroll for the info and advice!

Just quick questions to anyone who knows the answers? How often do you actually get out in the field in the british army? And other than the obvious afganistan how often are overseas tours available, and where are they most likely to send you?
    The main one is Afghanistan, you do 6 month stints with 2 weeks R+R in there (though not necessarily in the middle of the 6 months - it all depends).

There's no real schedule on how often you go, depends on when your regiment goes. I would say that one year in every 3 would be the sort of rough ratio where you'd expect to be away.

If your regiment is due to go to Afghan it's likely you'll be sent to Kenya for pre-deployment training.

You get a bit of a break when you get home. From a purely financial point of view getting sent away isn't the worst, imagine getting your full salary for 6 months and hardly spending a penny of it, and then a big fat operational bonus on top of that which I believe is tax-free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

More murdering British bastards. Renaming the hated, sectarian anti-Irish B Specials as the UDR (in 1970) and then renaming the UDR as the Royal Irish Regiment (in 1992) doesn't change the reality that anybody who joins these murdering British thugs is an enemy of the Irish people and all those Irish people throughout the centuries who have aspired to the freedom of this country from British colonial occupation.

This history lesson will not be approved of by the anti-Irish recruiters, who prey on ignorant poorly-educated young men in marginalised urban areas, for this group of thugs but now that those of you who are thinking of joining it know the reality, you can't say you're ignorant. There are easier, more moral, ways to make money and even to have a great adventure. How can you justify it? Really? Hand on heart? Even with limited intelligence, how can you justify joining the oppressor who continues the British tradition of oppression while telling the world they are only "helping" the natives, that the natives would be lesser people without them? If you believe in a might makes right philosophy then you deserve some respect for being honest about it. But if you really think Britain is invading other countries for the benefits of the natives then your naivety is contemptible. Low intelligence is not a crime. Using it to inflict pain and suffering on other people, while wealthy people in the state in whose army you are in profit, is immoral in the extreme.

An Irish person joining the British Army simply allows a British person to join other branches of the British crown forces and uphold the British occupation of Ireland and other non-British countries that the British, in their traditional foreign policy fanaticism, claim as their own. Even with a basic awareness of the role of the British military and political classes in Irish history, how can you justify that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[Mod]OK, Rebelheart has been banned for a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, please don't rise to such events again in the future, just send us the report and we'll get around to it. It makes it much 'cleaner' when there's only one side misbeheaving. Assorted comments deleted.[/Mod]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

There are REME detachments in most BA units from the SAS to commandos and even RAF. Certainly a few detachments in the North with the various units.

Mechanically you have a number of choices, in REME you can be a "B" mech and fix wheeled vehicles or "A" mech and work on track vehicles. The Engineers have Fitters that work on construction plant and the logistics have Marine Fitters. All will require you to start from scratch in the class room for training but once you have finished training experienced mechanics usually promote quicker and get on class 1 courses quicker which means more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

feeney92 wrote: »
    Lads I jus wanted to ask, are there any Royal Irish left up north? Apart from the TA of course.....

Nope, 1RIR are based in Ternhill, Shropshire. AFAIK the only full time infantry regiment with a battalion based in the North is the Rifles. 2 Rifles are based in Ballykinler, Co. Down.

Advertisement