Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

royal irish regiment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Once again, what gives you the right to judge people born in Ireland in terms of being irish or not?

Who the fcuk do you think you are? Telling people what their birth right is.

Once again im saying that just because someone is born somewhere ie Ireland, doesnt mean their irish, as in they dont see themselves as irish, so why are you saying they are? they see themselves as british not irish. If somebody says their irish im not gonna disagree with them, its great when people of other countries want to live here and be "irish" the unionists dont want to be irish, otherwise we would have one country at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

jugger0 wrote: »
    Once again im saying that just because someone is born somewhere ie Ireland, doesnt mean their irish, as in they dont see themselves as irish, so why are you saying they are? they see themselves as british not irish. If somebody says their irish im not gonna disagree with them, its great when people of other countries want to live here and be "irish" the unionists dont want to be irish, otherwise we would have one country at this stage.

Of course you can be Irish and British. They have been here 400 years, of course they are Irish.

Infact their version of Irish with its history and symbolism, is much older then the post 1921 version.

Dont tell me the RIR are not Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I am eligible for a british passport and I have an irish one so I can second that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭emptyshed

And the most off track...and probably most silly thread award goes to???

How about a thread on ....do any Welsh people join the Welsh regiments?

RONSEAL...DOES WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Relevant article from the Irish Times about the RIR and Irish Guards.
    With little “excitement” on offer in the Irish Army, young Irishmen are queuing up to join British regiments. Next month, hundreds of them will go to war in Afghanistan. London Editor MARK HENNESSY meets the Irish soldiers who have enlisted in the British army
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2010/0731/1224275874706.html?via=mr
    1224275874706_1.jpg
    Maj Mickey Stewart (on right) of the Irish Guards From Bray, Co Wicklow speaks to members of the British Army

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

concussion wrote: »
    Relevant article from the Irish Times about the RIR and Irish Guards.

Yeah, that's the one where a sergeant in the RIR declares that the Irish Army is "bored, fat and lazy" . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Heavens above - what's that? A REAL Irishman from a REAL town in REAL Ireland - a Major [Company Commander or Batallion 2 i/c] in the Irish Guards, part of the prestigious Guards Division of the British Army?

Naaaaaw, must be a publicity stunt.

Just as I was with MY [incomprehensible] Irish name tag in the British Army for almost thirty-three years all but a week.

'“My soldiers are not stepping off to Afghanistan with the words of the prime minister ringing in their ears,” says Lieut Col Weir, “they are going because the guy next to them is going.”

Sums it all up, really.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ShaneW1986

Hey xxboylarzxx im am actualy looking into join this regiment, and I am from Monaghan, if you are serious about joining and already havent, get in touch lad and I will answer any question I can for you. Also join up with you if you dont want to do it alone.

I feel I was let down my our countrys millitary, it was a job that i wanted more than anything but because of attending collage and then the frezze on recruiting i got one oppertunity before i was to old to join and that was last october! The way I feel I was let down was that there were 40 postions and over 1250 people applied, people who have no intrest in makeing a carrer out of it! (I didnt get in just in case that wasnt apparent)

I must addmit that almost 1/2 of my friends are in the PDF army. And when I worridly told them that i was considering joing the British Army, due to thinking they would hate me for it! I couldnt belive how many of them were intrested in coming with me due to what they told me was a lack of prospects in the Irish PDF. So far there are 3 that are so serious about it they have already spoken to their own familys to see how they feel about it! And not one family has been upset about their want for change! All 3 familys were from a IRA border town and all 3 were catholic, all though I dont feel this is any factor as some people like to make it seem it is.

As for me call me what you want my father is from Monaghan and my mother is from Bangor. Both my Grandfather and Great Grandfather servered in the British Army during WW1 and WW2 and they were proud Irish men if you called them British they would tell you no they were Irish! I will be proud to serve it as well even though it wasnt my first choice. At least they are offering me the oppertunity to do what i want!

Think what you want but at the end of the day a soilder looks at the army as a job and lifestyle, not that he is makeing a sacered oath against his country!

I am proud to be IRISH!

http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/4955.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 34 groundshaker

Well ShaneW1986, great to see you're interested in joining up, but have you considered joining the Irish Guards? Another great Irish regiment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm hoping to join the Royal Irish as well. I'm going up to the North next month to do my BARB test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

ShaneW1986 wrote: »
    I feel I was let down my our countrys millitary, it was a job that i wanted more than anything but because of attending collage and then the frezze on recruiting i got one oppertunity before i was to old to join and that was last october! The way I feel I was let down was that there were 40 postions and over 1250 people applied, people who have no intrest in makeing a carrer out of it! (I didnt get in just in case that wasnt apparent)

How exactly did the PDF let you down?

The freeze on recruiting wasn't a decision made by the DF, they were told by the DoF that they weren't to recruit, simple enough really.

What makes you think you deserved to be in the top 40 out of over 1,000 people?

Well ShaneW1986, great to see you're interested in joining up, but have you considered joining the Irish Guards? Another great Irish regiment

Yes buddy I did look into the Irish Gaurds but to be hoenst they just dont have as much information available as the Royal Irish on the Army website. Plus also I want to be part of the 16th Air Assault Brigade as they just seem to have more oppertunites for tours of duty, also might consider going to the Paras if I dont like it in the Royal Irish and it would be a much easier process from the Royal Irish than the Irish Gaurds.

Added: Sorry only after realiseing that the irish gaurds are part of 16 Air assualt as well, there is just very little info available about this Reg. on the Army website.
    Poccington wrote: »
    How exactly did the PDF let you down?

The freeze on recruiting wasn't a decision made by the DF, they were told by the DoF that they weren't to recruit, simple enough really.

What makes you think you deserved to be in the top 40 out of over 1,000 people?

Firstly I never claimed to be better than anyone else that applied!

Everyone who wanted to join in the last 4 years has had one chance and to be honest it wasnt much of a chance. I was told by a Sgt. on the interview board and others within the PDF that i have know for years that the jobs were gone before they were addvertised. (I think you know what im getting at, unfortunatly i didnt get my friend for the interview)

Of course there is no proof of this before someone undoubtably gets all defensive about the PDF and im sure as hell not going to name names. I have no quarrel with them anymore just very dissapointed.

After all im not joing them. "Faugh A Ballagh" The Royal Irish Reg. Motto :D

Yes buddy I did look into the Irish Gaurds but to be hoenst they just dont have as much information available as the Royal Irish on the Army website. Plus also I want to be part of the 16th Air Assault Brigade as they just seem to have more oppertunites for tours of duty, also might consider going to the Paras if I dont like it in the Royal Irish and it would be a much easier process from the Royal Irish than the Irish Gaurds.

Ya if you're really interested in doing P company than the royal irish is probably a safer bet. I've heard that they may in the near future hope to have have a whole company that that has completed P company and would be attached to one of the PARA battlions, but with the current cuts in british defence spending it's becoming increasingly hard for people who have completed P company, that are not in the Parachute battlions, to actually be allocated jumps, so as of yet it's only rumour I believe.

In the Irish Guards you can also serve with the Guards PARA platoon who are attached to 3 PARA but seeing as it is only one platoon for all the foot guards regiments, competition is extremely tight.

In training it is extremely unlikely that you would be able to switch from the Royal Irish to Paras, wheras it would alot easier to switch from the Paras to Royal Irish, ie, a certain number always switch out of Para training as it is always that bit physically harder that the other Infantry training.
    At the end of the day you will be by no means a better soldier simply by being a Para as opposed to other Infantrymen, you're all taught the same syllabus anyway but if you really want to be para qualified, you might as well just go for the para as opposed to trying later in your career.

By the way, whats your 1.5 mile time and heaves?

By the way, whats your 1.5 mile time and heaves?

Got lazy over christmas and stuffed my face and had a few drinks back in the gym now and runin around 10:20 best effort trying to get that down to between 9:30 and 10, Runing has never been my strong point, i can do it but not like the whipets you see at the tests. And at the min heaves are at 6, looking to get those between 10 and 15!

Both which I reckon could be achiveable within a couple of weeks as long as I put in the effort.

Any chance you could tell me what grade 1 is across the infantry at the min for everything including jerry can(if this is timed), push ups, situps, run, heaves and dead lift? would be appreciated and would mean i could schedual my traing to suit.

Also thanks for the info on the Irish Gaurds more in your post than the whold of the Gaurds webpage. Gonna stick it down as my second choice.

Well if you have any more questions on the Irish Guards just ask.
    By grade 1 I'm assuming you're refering to the ABC,etc grading system at ADSC. Well I can't say for definite what scores constitute getting an A grade overall at selection, but i have heard that a runtime of under 9:30 is definitely an A score and if you got 10 heaves you could safely assume that would be A grade aswell. I wouldn't worry about the deadlift if i were you, thats the easiest test you'll do. Pushups and situps aren't tested at selection. That being said you can still get an A grade if you fall outside those scores, if you perform exceptionally well on the teamtasks and the icebreaker. The most essiential aspect of selection, assuming you can perform moderatly at the physical tests, is a good icebreaker. If you can deliever a great one, it's the best way of shining out from the others at the start. Trust me, don't try and make it up once you're standing up in front of the crowd, you should write out exactly what you're going to say. Once you get a grasp on the matter the words will flowand it'll show you've prepared well.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wjrobin64

THe irish quite often joined the english for only putting bread on the family table. the english also hired hessians to add to their forces at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

wjrobin64 wrote: »
    THe irish quite often joined the english for only putting bread on the family table. the english also hired hessians to add to their forces at times.
    You have confused me!:confused::confused:

What do you mean by this random comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

Got lazy over christmas and stuffed my face and had a few drinks back in the gym now and runin around 10:20 best effort trying to get that down to between 9:30 and 10, Runing has never been my strong point, i can do it but not like the whipets you see at the tests. And at the min heaves are at 6, looking to get those between 10 and 15!

Both which I reckon could be achiveable within a couple of weeks as long as I put in the effort.

Any chance you could tell me what grade 1 is across the infantry at the min for everything including jerry can(if this is timed), push ups, situps, run, heaves and dead lift? would be appreciated and would mean i could schedual my traing to suit.

Also thanks for the info on the Irish Gaurds more in your post than the whold of the Gaurds webpage. Gonna stick it down as my second choice.

Grade A's start at 124 points and up i think. You're graded at everything over the 2 days at ADSC including your team tasks, ice-breaker, grenade test etc.. As said above, a good run time and heaves will definitely help towards your overall grade but make sure to not only concentrate on them (a guy on mine was deferred for being too quiet after running 8.40 and 16 heaves). The situps and pressups are not graded but you may do a few in the pt session in the evening.
    Have you got yours coming up soon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

tac foley wrote: »
    How many non-Irish and on-ethnic nationals are there in the Irish Defence Forces? I mean ANY UK citizens from any part of the UK [Wales, Scotland, England, Northern Ireland], any British Commonwealth [Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, Fiji and so on] or former part thereof - Sarth Efrican, Kenyan, Rhodesian, any religious minorities that depend on a different nationality to enjoy their religion - Moslem, Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist...you get the picture, I'm sure.

I'll call back later when you've come up with the total.

Shouldn't take long. ; )

tac

Suffering Jesus. Yours is precisely the sort of anti-Irish attitude which is a pre-requisite for an Irish-born person to volunteer to become cannonfodder for the pitiful remnants of the once all-conquering British state. We read many likeminded people in The Irish Times article last year, all British soldiers and all looking down on the honourable Irish soldiers who join the Irish Defence Forces. And you British soldiers expect sympathy when one of the natives in Afghanistan or Iraq remove you from their country, and this earth. Grow up.

By your own admission, you're Irish-born and you went off to fight for the British crown forces of occupation while Irish people were being massacred by your colleagues on the streets of Derry and Ballymurphy and then you come back to look down your nose at the defence force of the independent Irish state because they apparently don't recruit cannonfodder of all different races. Wake-up call, Paddy: the Brits are into getting all the "inferior" types to die for their wars because, well, the English at the top have a finely-tuned sense of self-preservation. That, and evolution. Once it was the poor, undereducated Scots, then when the British Empire needed more mercenaries, it lifted its ban on Catholics. As they became more educated the British had to look for more cannonfodder and sure enough they suddenly got converted to extending their concept of multiculturalism beyond those backward Irish Catholics: anybody of any skin colour can now die for the British Empire! Hooray! And that's your selling point vis-à-vis the Irish Defence Forces? Hilarious. British recruitment policy really isn't rocket science, let alone reflective of some admirably enlightened attitude on the part of John Bull to what the British used to blatantly describe as the "inferior races".

If you look closely around you the sort of Irish-born people who join the British forces are not what one might term the most educated or fortunate. They are almost always marginalised kids with serious family problems and a history of mental illness. That's the reality of the force you, and others on this thread, are attempting to glorify and pimp to some poor, misguided schmuck who's just dying to get away and become part of a gang and feel accepted by a "family" for the first time ever. Now, that sort of predaciousness is pathetic manipulative behaviour of the most rank order.

Heavens above - what's that? A REAL Irishman from a REAL town in REAL Ireland - a Major [Company Commander or Batallion 2 i/c] in the Irish Guards, part of the prestigious Guards Division of the British Army?

Naaaaaw, must be a publicity stunt.

If you're not aware that it is, in fact, clearly and indisputably a publicity stunt then I can't say I'm surprised. And obviously while he may be Irish-born, he's no Irish soldier. He's a British soldier, who has sworn an oath of allegiance to defend the all-Protestant sectarian British monarch against everybody, including Irish people fighting for Irish freedom from British rule.

'“My soldiers are not stepping off to Afghanistan with the words of the prime minister ringing in their ears,” says Lieut Col Weir, “they are going because the guy next to them is going.”

What embarrassing, delusional brainwashed rubbish. 'Group think' of the most cringe-worthy type. :o

• Advertisement

Irishmen everywhere should be proud that Ireland has always had its Wild Geese heroes - even if you believe that they were somebody else's wars.

Self-serving nonsense trying to put the average undereducated Irish-born slaveen who joins the British Army on the same footing as, say, the San Patricios. There's nothing to be proud about somebody who joins the British forces while part of Ireland remains under British rule. Only in the most delusional of minds can such people be morally and ethically equated with the (far greater number of) Irish-born soldiers who've fought for other countries throughout Ireland's long history under British occupation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Rebelheart wrote: »
    who has sworn an oath of allegiance to defend the all-Protestant sectarian British monarch against everybody, including Irish people fighting for Irish freedom from British rule. :o

What do you mean by All Protestant? He has also sworn to defend the millions of British Catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If you look closely around you the sort of Irish-born people who join the British forces are not what one might term the most educated or fortunate. They are almost always marginalised kids with serious family problems and a history of mental illness. That's the reality of the force you, and others on this thread, are attempting to glorify and pimp to some poor, misguided schmuck who's just dying to get away and become part of a gang and feel accepted by a "family" for the first time ever. Now, that sort of predaciousness is pathetic manipulative behaviour of the most rank order.

Want to provide any evidence for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

who has sworn an oath of allegiance to defend the all-Protestant sectarian British monarch against everybody, including Irish people fighting for Irish freedom from British rule. redface.gif

Rebelheart the troubles are over by a decade and a half, give it over with this "fighting for freedom" crap. Everyone knows the only way a united Ireland will come about is through a democratic process, the only thing "fighting for freedom" got us was a bad name and a body pile of 1800 innocent civilians. Anybody in NI right now who claims to be "fighting" for Irish freedom using bombs and violence is a backwards delusional retard. What about the millions of Britains of catholic Irish descent, they're also swearing to protect those. End of the day ask any soldier in the BA, the oath of allegiance means **** all. They're not going into a battle thinking "let's do this for the queen", they're going into battle with the only thought on their mind being protecting their squad members. I'm joining the BA when I'm older, I'll take the oath and it will mean jackshít to me, it's just another stupid req to me for joining the army. End of the day, I couldn't give a shít about the queen or any of her buddies.

Such a stament from someone who knows nothing about it. Under privilaged abusive familes such utter bull.

I was brought up in the middle east while my pearents worked for the saudi minister of defence and the oman minister of defense. I can garentee you I had a much more privilaged life than you! As for uneducated once I hit secondary school I was sent to a borading school at the cost of 27000 euros a year then on to Uni, think my education was slighty better than yours aswell.

Dont try and be smart dosent suit you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

If you look closely around you the sort of Irish-born people who join the British forces are not what one might term the most educated or fortunate. They are almost always marginalised kids with serious family problems and a history of mental illness.

Of the many Irish lads I've met along the recruitment path, half of us had a third level qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Such a stament from someone who knows nothing about it. Under privilaged abusive familes such utter bull.

I was brought up in the middle east while my pearents worked for the saudi minister of defence and the oman minister of defense. I can garentee you I had a much more privilaged life than you! As for uneducated once I hit secondary school I was sent to a borading school at the cost of 27000 euros a year then on to Uni, think my education was slighty better than yours aswell.

Dont try and be smart dosent suit you!
    discus wrote: »
    Of the many Irish lads I've met along the recruitment path, half of us had a third level qualification.

Rebelheart is only trying to stir thngs up as he does not have the maturity to see that the people he is describing would not be accepted into the British Military or any other military service. They would not make the grade.
    From my experience, the people he is describing end up in illegal organisations.

Well if you have any more questions on the Irish Guards just ask.

Thanks lad for all the advice, I droped my application in on friday and heard back on monaday about my BARB need to get into the gym more often and get my head down now. Once again thanks for the heads up till you mentioned it i didnt even realise there was an ice breaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

The biggest mistake I've seen guys make is with the gym, ShaneW1986.

1) You are tested on your run - so use a park, path or road and start running.

2) You are tested on chin ups - so start lashing a few out on bars every time you get a chance.

3) You get a tough gym session using bodyweight exercises - so practise sprinting, push-ups, sit ups, squats, pull-ups, chin ups and burpees.

Dedicate time to 1,2 and 3 first. If you have a bit of extra time, throw in some cycling, swimming or the gym. Your run and chin ups are the most important. There is usually a huge range between the best and the worst in terms of these.

edit: I'd be interested in Rockagusrolls take on it - he's been through as well - he might denounce my post as ****, or at least have some other advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

If you follow the get fit plan on the website you'll more than likely be grand, it's designed for applicants after all.

Advertisement