Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

royal irish regiment

Options
  • 12-07-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

hey all,
    ive always wondered if much irish people join the royal irish regiment?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

The simple answer to this one is of course yes. Not too long ago a younger relation of mine did so, he comes from Tipp.

But its not exclusively Irish that join RIR. there are a lot of 2nd and 3rd Generation guys, plastic paddy's like like myself (FYI I haven't served with RIR) and a lot that aren't Irish at all! The Regt. is populated with people from all over the British Isles, and much further afield.. Figure that one out.

I reckon its the groovy lid they wear. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Mildly off topic, but do many Irish people join the Irish guards? They are based in Windsor at the moment the one my wife spoke to was a geordie.

She knows this because being a typical tourist, she stood next to him for a photo and asked if he would shoot her if she got too close, to which he replied (under his breath) No, but I will bite you, in a broad geordie accent:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Mildly off topic, but do many Irish people join the Irish guards? They are based in Windsor at the moment the one my wife spoke to was a geordie.

I know two people who I went to school with both of which went over and joined the Guards rather than the RIR. I believe the latter is where most people from the Republic go but evidently it's not always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

piby wrote: »
    I know two people who I went to school with both of which went over and joined the Guards rather than the RIR. I believe the latter is where most people from the Republic go but evidently it's not always the case.

I have heard the same - lads from the Republic go to the Guards and Northern lads go to the RIR - doubtless plenty of exceptions though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Of course Catholics are welcome in the RIR

rir+orange+2.jpgrir.jpg

And the Taliban's latest tactic is to have supporters in the Afghan forces shoot you. I know the economy is in sh!te, but think about it. Afghans with guns in front of you, Afghans with guns behind you. Brilliant career move.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

Yes they are indeed. I know plenty past and present who went through. Both officers and enlisted. Never heard a word of discrimination.

Comparing St Patrick's day to the 12th of July is like comparing the 4th of July to a KKK meeting.

Comparing St Patrick's day to the 12th of July is like comparing the 4th of July to a KKK meeting.

I'm not comparing the two at all, but if the RIR were as anti Irish as you seem to think, why are they celebrating St Patrick's day? As far as I am aware, Orangemen avoid St Patrick's day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

rir+orange+2.jpgrir.jpg

And the Taliban's latest tactic is to have supporters in the Afghan forces shoot you. I know the economy is in sh!te, but think about it. Afghans with guns in front of you, Afghans with guns behind you. Brilliant career move.

The photos above are of 1 Irish Guards in Iraq, the battalion had a mock riot and orange march for the 12 July, some of the Prods had an orange parade, the Catholic soldiers pelted them with plastic bottles and water, all in good fun.

IRA gobs*****s like your yourself then take those pictures, claim its another regiment and evidence of how how catholic soldiers are treated. :rolleyes:

http://www.orange-pages.tk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=35

All part of your internet anti British propaganda campaign. This has been pointed out numerous times, yet you persist with your LIES.

Soldiers keep it real with Basra Twelfth
    By Diana Rusk
    BRITISH soldiers in Iraq have held a tongue-in-cheek Twelfth of July demonstration complete with nationalist protesters and riot police.

Members of the Irish Guards held the parade at their base in Basra after an Orange lodge sent them sashes and orange lilies.

The images posted on internet forum Bebo show orange men from 'Basrah LOL 1 accompanied by a flute band called The Rising Sons of Basrah 2007.

They march past mock RUC officers dressed in full riot gear and a group of mock nationalist protesters holding Irish flags in opposition to the parade.

Their placards read "Reroute the marches. Keep it in your own area."

• Advertisement

The photos above are of 1 Irish Guards in Iraq, the battalion had a mock riot and orange march for the 12 July, some of the Prods had an orange parade, the Catholic soldiers pelted them with plastic bottles and water, all in good fun.

IRA gobs*****s like your yourself then take those pictures, claim its another regiment and evidence of how how catholic soldiers are treated. :rolleyes:

http://www.orange-pages.tk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=35

All part of your internet anti British propaganda campaign. This has been pointed out numerous times, yet you persist with your LIES.

Soldiers keep it real with Basra Twelfth
    By Diana Rusk
    BRITISH soldiers in Iraq have held a tongue-in-cheek Twelfth of July demonstration complete with nationalist protesters and riot police.

Members of the Irish Guards held the parade at their base in Basra after an Orange lodge sent them sashes and orange lilies.

The images posted on internet forum Bebo show orange men from 'Basrah LOL 1 accompanied by a flute band called The Rising Sons of Basrah 2007.

They march past mock RUC officers dressed in full riot gear and a group of mock nationalist protesters holding Irish flags in opposition to the parade.

Their placards read "Reroute the marches. Keep it in your own area."
    Brit gobsh*tes are always making excuses :rolleyes:. I've clicked on the link and all I've seen are more pictures of the RIR in their orange regalia. No pics of " mock RUC officers dressed in full riot gear and a group of mock nationalist protesters holding Irish flags in opposition to the parade. "

BTW, I copied the pics from a post on Politics.ie. Stop grasping at straws :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

Brit gobsh*tes are always making excuses :rolleyes:. I've clicked on the link and all I've seen are more pictures of the RIR in their orange regalia. No pics of " mock RUC officers dressed in full riot gear and a group of mock nationalist protesters holding Irish flags in opposition to the parade. "

BTW, I copied the pics from a post on Politics.ie. Stop grasping at straws :rolleyes:

Why do you persist with your lies?

http://www.orange-pages.tk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=35&pos=25

http://www.orange-pages.tk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=35&pos=28

http://www.orange-pages.tk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=35&pos=30

Well I'll tell you one thing, if I was there I'd pelt them with more than plastic bottles and water :cool:

Oh for fcuk sake..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Well I'll tell you one thing, if I was there I'd pelt them with more than plastic bottles and water :cool:

Why don't you head out there then and do something useful instead of being a keyboard warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well, you're not, and if you were, you'd keep your damn mouth shut. Goddamn keyboard warrior shíte gets really old, fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

You haven't added anything constructive or beneficial to this topic, you've spread bull**** lies that Catholics aren't welcome and have provided no help to the OP at all.

Why don't you take your anti-British agenda somewhere else unless you're going to post something helpful and factual for the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Yeah well you weren't there because you don't have the bottle to sign the dotted line and serve in the military of any country. Instead, you talk ****e on the Internet and troll topics trying to get a rise out of posters.

A poster asked a question and rather than getting helpful answers from the good members of this forum, he got a bollocks answer from you.

Don't post in this topic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Well, Gentlemen, I'm a former red-head, 90% Irish AND Jewish when I joined the BA. What sort of a time do you think I had?

I got called 'Paddy O'Cohen' in the recruit phase, and after that it was never mentioned again for the next 33 years...

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Catholic, Protestant, Black, White... There all on the same team and they know it.

For some reason I don't think they worry too much about political differences or past history while their out in Afghanistan dodging bullets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

tac foley wrote: »
    Well, Gentlemen, I'm a former red-head, 90% Irish AND Jewish when I joined the BA. What sort of a time do you think I had?

I got called 'Paddy O'Cohen' in the recruit phase, and after that it was never mentioned again for the next 33 years...

tac

Nice to see you didn't get it for such a lengthy time after that. If you think about it though, 33 years from today is 1977, height of the IRA and the troubles. I'm amazed you only got it during the recruit stage, hopefully it's even better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

IHM :rolleyes:

Pathetic.

RMD wrote: »
    Nice to see you didn't get it for such a lengthy time after that. If you think about it though, 33 years from today is 1977, height of the IRA and the troubles. I'm amazed you only got it during the recruit stage, hopefully it's even better now.

By 1977 I was a Staff Sergeant.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

tac foley wrote: »
    snip.

Stand by for imminent "typical BA thug" comments. :rolleyes:

Edit - Post edited to reflect Tac Foleys edit.

concussion wrote: »
    Stand by for imminent "typical BA thug" comments. :rolleyes:

Typical Irishman, I'd call it [shrug].

The only difference was that I did it without the benefit of being drunk at the time.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I saw no issue with your previous post, but have edited mine to remove the quotation. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts though, you must have had some interesting experiences during your service.

concussion wrote: »
    I saw no issue with your previous post, but have edited mine to remove the quotation. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts though, you must have had some interesting experiences during your service.

That is nothing less than the truth.

tac

Sober posting in here!!! I don't believe it. Pint Tac?

iceage wrote: »
    Sober posting in here!!! I don't believe it. Pint Tac?

Sobriety?

I'll drink to that!

Anyhow, gentlemen - a question for YOU.

How many non-Irish and on-ethnic nationals are there in the Irish Defence Forces? I mean ANY UK citizens from any part of the UK [Wales, Scotland, England, Northern Ireland], any British Commonwealth [Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, Fiji and so on] or former part thereof - Sarth Efrican, Kenyan, Rhodesian, any religious minorities that depend on a different nationality to enjoy their religion - Moslem, Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist...you get the picture, I'm sure.

I'll call back later when you've come up with the total.

Shouldn't take long. ; )

tac

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure theres one or two blowins about. Not that I know any in particular.

Advertisement