Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

royal irish regiment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I must say Patsy, your posts are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

You'd probably find that those from the above minority's come from a long line of the natives who collaborated with British occupation, it's not surprising that their descendant's should be drawn to the British forces many of whom had to leave with the British colonial administration as it was kicked out.

Be careful what you are saying there, Sir. There are to this day a comparatively large number of loyal Irishmen from the Republic who nevertheless choose for whatever reason to serve in the British Armed Forces. I had deliberately left them out my question for fear of such an answer as yours.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

You'd probably find that those from the above minority's come from a long line of the natives who collaborated with British occupation, it's not surprising that their descendant's should be drawn to the British forces many of whom had to leave with the British colonial administration as it was kicked out. Like you don't get many say, Brazilian Indians from the Amazon in the Brits now do you ?

Besides, the Irish DF's are small even for our population, no shortage of good young Irish lads and lassies wanting to join up.

I thought you were told not to post in here again?

Seriously though, look back over this guys previous posts, he always tries to get smart and stir up sh*t only to have his arse handed to him by someone else.

I mean who else would post the same line in multiple threads thinking their smart?

Here...

Here...

And here...

Your a real credit Patsy... Oozing with intelligence! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Could never understand how irish lads could join the british army... i dont hate the british (unionists aside:D) but it just seems like an insult to our ancestors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

jugger0 wrote: »
    Could never understand how irish lads could join the british army... i dont hate the british (unionists aside:D) but it just seems like an insult to our ancestors.

I can understand - young lads who want a military career can't join their own army cos it has a recruitment freeze - even if they do join they will be in an organisation with no opportunity of serving abroad and chronically underfunded. I think any young lad who wants a military career should look outside Ireland.
    I have advised my nephew accordingly.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

no opportunity of serving abroad

No,it is entirely possible to serve overseas with the PDF. Chad,Congo,East Timor, Lebanon. All places where the PDF have served.

I agree about the underfunded part though :pac:

DylanJM wrote: »
    No,it is entirely possible to serve overseas with the PDF. Chad,Congo,East Timor, Lebanon. All places where the PDF have served.

I agree about the underfunded part though :pac:

Actually, he's right. Theres no opportunity to serve abroad with the Army for the next couple of years. They've withdrawn from Chad.

I assumed he was talkng generally, as in we never serve overseas.
    Theres no opportunity to serve abroad with the Army for the next couple of years.

Really? I thought we would be going back overseas the next time the UN needed us. Didn't know the government had stopped it for a set period of time.

delancey42 wrote: »
    I can understand - young lads who want a military career can't join their own army cos it has a recruitment freeze - even if they do join they will be in an organisation with no opportunity of serving abroad and chronically underfunded. I think any young lad who wants a military career should look outside Ireland.
    I have advised my nephew accordingly.......

To be honest if the irish army had sticks and stones id still join them ahead of the brits without a doubt, as far as not being able to join i would look to america, even france anywhere but britain. How would you feel about going up the north? british flag on your shoulder? alot of my family were in the old IRA and i think id be sullying their reputation.

Really? I thought we would be going back overseas the next time the UN needed us. Didn't know the government had stopped it for a set period of time.

The reason they pulled out is because the country can't afford to keep them over there. More than likely there will be no overseas opportunities untill the economy returns somewhat to the way it was, which by the looks of things won't be for a long time.

• Advertisement

To be honest if the irish army had sticks and stones id still join them ahead of the brits without a doubt, as far as not being able to join i would look to america, even france anywhere but britain. How would you feel about going up the north? british flag on your shoulder? alot of my family were in the old IRA and i think id be sullying their reputation.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest considering about a quarter of the British army is from the republic anyway.

As I've said in a previous post, their all on the same team at the end of the day. I don't think they worry too much about flags and reputation when their out in an afghan desert...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brainset

Right on, write on about whatever you feel best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Well the British Army is recruiting, the Irish army isn't exactly at the moment so its either join the British or the Legion or the US Army if you wish a life of soldiering.

The British at one time in the 1600s allowed Irish Catholic men to travel to the continent to fight for Spain, France and the German city states. There thinking was that it was better to get rid of the unemployed men before they caused trouble at home. But that ended when the Irish started turning up on the battlefield against them and putting up a good fight. So ever since then Ireland has been a plentiful recruiting ground for British Army.

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother me in the slightest considering about a quarter of the British army is from the republic anyway.

As I've said in a previous post, their all on the same team at the end of the day. I don't think they worry too much about flags and reputation when their out in an afghan desert...

A quarter? you joking yeah? same team for the time being maybe, they wont always be in afghanistan, irish men in the british army marching under the union jack, a sad sight to see. Would it bother you if were ordered to fire on your own countrymen? unlikely probably but you never know, still alot of hate up there.

Would it bother you if were ordered to fire on your own countrymen? unlikely probably but you never know, still alot of hate up there.

You mean firing on terrorists? I am proudly Irish, but I don't consider terrorists like the IRA as my fellow countrymen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

You mean firing on terrorists? I am proudly Irish, but I don't consider terrorists like the IRA as my fellow countrymen.

Yeah. The British Army ONLY ever killed terrorists on this island. All those poor people mourning their innocent murdered relatives ( north & south) are delusional. I couldn't give a flying so & so about politics, republicanism or unionism - but get the facts straight.

Yeah. The British Army ONLY ever killed terrorists on this island. All those poor people mourning their innocent murdered relatives ( north & south) are delusional. I couldn't give a flying so & so about politics, republicanism or unionism - but get the facts straight.

Maybe you could point out where I said that the Brits never killed any civilians if it's not too much trouble, because unless I've had a short term memory loss I'm pretty sure I never said anything of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Originally Posted by PatsytheNazi viewpost.gif
    You'd probably find that those from the above minority's come from a long line of the natives who collaborated with British occupation, it's not surprising that their descendant's should be drawn to the British forces many of whom had to leave with the British colonial administration as it was kicked out.

My great grandfather fought with the ICA in the Stephens green garrison in 1916 and was interned in Frongach afterwards. I joined the British army and served in the Royal Engineers. Not much logic in your argument there pal.

Whenever PatsytheNazi has his posts questioned or when he's completely humiliated, he deletes his posts like he was never even here!... sad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Maybe you could point out where I said that the Brits never killed any civilians if it's not too much trouble, because unless I've had a short term memory loss I'm pretty sure I never said anything of the sort.

You are right - you never said the brits only killed terrorists and THAT is precisely why I objected to your post.

Step by step..
    You were asked adirect,concise, simple question:
    Would it bother you if were ordered to fire on your own countrymen?

You decided to convulute jugger0's question into:

See the problem? YOU substituted the word TERRORIST for COUNTRYMEN.
    I posted that not all your countrymen who were killed were terrorists but in fact a sizeable amount were 100% innocent.

But then you knew all this.

• Advertisement

HA because of course the british army only kills terrorists, what would you have done in the bloody sunday situation? The british goverment has colluded with terrorists in the past, dublin bombings?

Chiorino wrote: »
    Originally Posted by PatsytheNazi viewpost.gif

My great grandfather fought with the ICA in the Stephens green garrison in 1916 and was interned in Frongach afterwards. I joined the British army and served in the Royal Engineers. Not much logic in your argument there pal.

would he be proud of you?

Yes.

Yes.

My grandfather would shoot me himself, and i wouldnt blame him. Each to their own though.

My grandfather would shoot me himself, and i wouldnt blame him. Each to their own though.

My great grandfather would have been enlightened enough to accept a descendant joining the forces of a current neighbouring nation almost a century after the events he took part in.

Also many ICA soldiers joined not primarily to rise up against British rule but to provide armed protection for union demonstrations.

Times have changed and now, thankfully, an Irishman joining the British army is a totally acceptable career joice. While there are some bigots still around thank god they are an extremely small minority.

While there are some bigots still around thank god they are an extremely small minority.

And only seem to be on boards.ie for some reason... :rolleyes:

"Also many ICA soldiers joined not primarily to rise up against British rule but to provide armed protection for union demonstrations."

well that clears things up...

To be honest as someone who would like to join an army in the future, i would never consider the british army,i cant believe how an irishman would fight for the british goverment after all they have done,when did they become our lovely neighbours? funny how you fight with ulster unionists who despise the south and would spit on you if you referred to them as irish. A bigoted minority? i would say everyone i know is a bigot so, i guess your a traitor then?

They have always been a neighbour, it's a geographical thing really.

They have always been a neighbour, it's a geographical thing really.

Being smart? thats not what i meant. Do you sing god save the queen in the army much? do you have union jack boxers?

• Advertisement

Never had to sing God save the Queen once actually. You could get Union boxers but had to buy them down the NAAFI.

Advertisement