Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

royal irish regiment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

jugger0 wrote: »
    Being smart? thats not what i meant. Do you sing god save the queen in the army much? do you have union jack boxers?

You have a lot of growing up to do jugger0. You wouldn't last long in any army - Irish or British, being a mouth piece...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    You have a lot of growing up to do jugger0. You wouldn't last long in any army - Irish or British, being a mouth piece...

Because i disagree with you im a mouth piece? fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Jugger0, it's clear what your opinion is. Fine. I am proud of my time served and don't need to justify or explain it to anyone. If you want to argue the whole "Irish joing the BA" issue it's been done to death a number of times already. So, to get back on the topic.

I met a number of Paddies both northern and southern who were in both the RIR and Guards (but not as many as you might imagine). For some reason though the RIR seemed to get loads of Fijians.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

fijians really? i kinda knew that RIR wasnt exclusively irish but thats a strange one! (im saying that but i dont really know a whole lot about the RIR really just hearsay)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

00MARTZ00 fijians really? i kinda knew that RIR wasnt exclusively irish but thats a strange one! (im saying that but i dont really know a whole lot about the RIR really just hearsay)

It may have just been an unusually large amount ( At least that's what struck me ) in the particular unit I was working with. Nowadays though it would be far from being exclusively Irish by a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Chiorino wrote: »
    I met a number of Paddies both northern and southern who were in both the RIR and Guards (but not as many as you might imagine). For some reason though the RIR seemed to get loads of Fijians.

According to today's Irish Times,

Eighty men from the Republic serve in the Royal Irish, with most of the remainder hailing from Northern Ireland or places such as Liverpool that have a strong history of Irish emigration.

Just 5 per cent of the Irish Guards are currently from the Republic, though numbers are rising, due in part to the recession but also, more importantly, due to curbed recruiting by the Irish Army and the small number of overseas missions for those in its ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Holders of the highest military award for valour in the face of the enemy - mostly pinned on the black of the widow's dress -

Crimean War - 30

Indian Mutiny - 52

Interim Wars - 46

WW1 - 37

WW2 - 8

As for fighting in America's wars - 258 Irish-born holders are remembered with honour, including no less than EIGHT who won it TWICE.

Irishmen everywhere should be proud that Ireland has always had its Wild Geese heroes - even if you believe that they were somebody else's wars.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Well if you doing a list of Irish that served overseas you might as well include the soldiers of fortune! Such men as Mike Hoare.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Well if you doing a list of Irish that served overseas you might as well include the soldiers of fortune! Such men as Mike Hoare.

Please read my post - re: 'Wild geese'.

I have ignored mercenaries per se, but kept my figures to those who chose to serve in other regular armies. Whether or not mercenaries are as deserving of recognition for their bravery as sworn soldiers of national armed forces are is not part of this debate. Is it?

You could, I suppose, accuse every Irishman who has served in the BA of being a mercenary, but I wouldn't like to walk into a pub full of former BA soldiers - who just happened to be Irish - and say it.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

[Deleted]

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

iceage wrote: »
    The simple answer to this one is of course yes.

Actually, in reality a tiny number of people from the Republic of Ireland join the British Army. Give us statistics on the number of Irish-born people in the British forces. Saying the number has increased by, say, 50% without mentioning that it has gone from 10 to 15 people is just propagandising. A mere 5% of the so-called Irish Guards today is from the Republic of Ireland.(Source)
    iceage wrote: »
    there are a lot of 2nd and 3rd Generation guys, plastic paddy's like like myself.... The Regt. is populated with people from all over the British Isles, and much further afield.

And use of this term succinctly sums up the politics of the sort of people who join the British Army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Actually, in reality a tiny number of people from the Republic of Ireland join the British Army. Give us statistics on the number of Irish-born people in the British forces. Saying the number has increased by, say, 50% without mentioning that it has gone from 10 to 15 people is just propagandising. A mere 5% of the so-called Irish Guards today is from the Republic of Ireland.(Source)

And use of this term succinctly sums up the politics of the sort of people who join the British Army.

You dont know anyone and I doubt you have even met anyone serving in the BA, yet on the other thread you state they are the dregs of the society, along with other false accusations, now you claim to know the minds of those who join from the republic, why dont you wonder off back to whatever rock you have crawled out from.

Many in the Irish guards are from the north and second generation Irish, but to uber Orish republicans like yourself they dont count as Irish do they.

About 250 Citizens from the republic serve in the UK armed forces, 80 in the Royal Irish, there has been a 20% increase.

One regiment that is now being chosen which previously was not is the Parachute Regiment.

Many who join previously served in the Irish army.

Rebelheart wrote: »

Sorry were you trying to make a point? I seem to have completely missed it. If I was referring to the ROI I would have said so. I was in fact referring to the other major bits ie. England, Scotland and Wales, and lets not forget Northern Ireland.

As to the "sort" that joins the British Army well, when you actually meet one, you should ask them what their Political leanings are. I'd politely suggest you ask in the correct fashion, and prepare yourself for some thought provoking answers.

Please ask me about MY politics - I was in the British Army for ten days less than 33 years, notwithstanding that my father was imprisoned as a young man for burning down police barracks in Co Cork, and subsequently joined the Free State Army on his release.

My maternal grandfather, W. V. Collins, a soldier in an Irish regiment, was killed in action 1917, and two of my uncles died over Germany in 1944. My current crop of relatives are spread from Cork up to Meath.

In answer to the question, I have absolutely no political views whatsoever that are any concern of anybody except the person who eventually checks my ballot paper. As a soldier I always held ALL politicians in equal contempt and mistrust - any organisation that can cheerfully send young men and women to get killed to express 'severe discontent' with another government deserves no less.

As for your suggestion that the citizens of Northern Ireland might not be quite as Irish as you plainly feel yourself to be, instead of asking a soldier about his politics, try going into a pub anywhere in Northern Ireland, especially in Co's Armagh, Fermanagh and Tyrone, and telling the drinkers there that they are not 'real' Irishmen like you are.

Before you do so, remember to save an old crisp bag.

You'll need it to put your teeth in.

tac

And there I was trying to be polite and diplomatic. Why I outta...:p

"As for your suggestion that the citizens of Northern Ireland might not be quite as Irish as you plainly feel yourself to be, instead of asking a soldier about his politics, try going into a pub anywhere in Northern Ireland, especially in Co's Armagh, Fermanagh and Tyrone, and telling the drinkers there that they are not 'real' Irishmen like you are."

How about you go into a loyalist area and tell them that they are Irish and see what happens.

How about you go into a loyalist area and tell them that they are Irish and see what happens.

You have just summed up the root source of the past, and it seems, the sadly increasing present problem that has returned to haunt us all [see the news about an under-car bomb this morning].

Some of the inhabitants of Northern Ireland want to be more Irish than they feel they are, and some want to be less. It does not alter the fact that all born in Ireland, whatever part of it you call home, are Irish.

As for politics, it has to be said that I've never met anybody in my entire military career who joined because of his political view. Politics and politicians have no place in the military, unless, of course, you are talking about military dictatorships. In fact, political party tub-thumping of any kind is expressly forbidden in any part of HM Forces, either by its members, or by civilians from outside trying to influence the political opinion of a member of the Armed Forces. True, those in government responsible for defecne issues and their shadow counterparts DO visit the Armed Forces on 'fact-finding' missions, but only the serving government can make any changes to the way that things are done in the Armed Forces. We are all treated as civilians when polling day comes, in exactly the same way that we are tax-payers and civilian firearms certificate holders.

In recent times it was a Conservative government that sent us to the Falklands and GW1, but a Labour government that sent us to GW2 and Afghanistan.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    It does not alter the fact that all born in Ireland, whatever part of it you call home, are Irish.

I disagree.

I disagree.

Fill yer boots, pal.

My DGAS-meter has now reached overload.

tac

I was born in a hospital, am i a doctor? unionists dont see themselves as irish, and their not, suprised you didnt know that seeing as you served with them? If everyone in the north saw themselves as irish it would be great. Not the case though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Some of the inhabitants of Northern Ireland want to be more Irish than they feel they are, and some want to be less. It does not alter the fact that all born in Ireland, whatever part of it you call home, are Irish.

Well its not quite as clear cut as that, I mean to say if one is going through an airport or ferry terminal holding a British passport then usually you would answer 'British' if asked your nationality by the security personell, OK it is a debatable point, but usually if you are the holder of a certain brand of passport, wether 'British or Irish' then you are what you proclaim you are . . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

As for politics, it has to be said that I've never met anybody in my entire military career who joined because of his political view. Politics and politicians have no place in the military,
    tac
    Agree 100% - a soldier who cannot operate without political bias is worthless in his profession.In a Democracy the government may change several times during a soldiers service - whats he going to do? Down tools until the next political change comes along?

I disagree.

And what gives you the right judge people born in Ireland if they are Irish or not?

I was born in a hospital, am i a doctor? unionists dont see themselves as irish, and their not, suprised you didnt know that seeing as you served with them? If everyone in the north saw themselves as irish it would be great. Not the case though.

Many unionists do see themselves as Irish, even Ian Paisley has said he is Irish, but also British.

Unionists are starting to embrace Irish culture like st pats day again, after 3 decades of attempted ethnic cleansing.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Well its not quite as clear cut as that, I mean to say if one is going through an airport or ferry terminal holding a British passport then usually you would answer 'British' if asked your nationality by the security personell, OK it is a debatable point, but usually if you are the holder of a certain brand of passport, wether 'British or Irish' then you are what you proclaim you are . . . . .

Der, maybe thats cause it says British passport on the cover.

On page two it states in Welsh, English and Irish, united kingdom of great Britain and NI.

Rioghachd aonaichte bhreatainn is eireann a tirth

And what gives you the right judge people born in Ireland if they are Irish or not?

Being born somewhere doesnt mean sh1t. Unionists, the majority anyway, despise being called irish, and to be honest im glad, i wouldnt want to be the same nationality as them.

Unionists are starting to embrace Irish culture like st pats day again, after 3 decades of attempted ethnic cleansing.

oh please, i cant see them dropping july 12th to go drink a few green pints down the pub with the "fenians". Or indeed any of them wearing gaa jerseys anytime soon. Its a nice thought though.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

Jesus christ, the military section has just become a hangout for those who hate/dislike/etc etc british people who either start threads to bitch or use any thread even slightly related to the UK to bitch about how the british have wronged Ireland in some way.
    Its getting completely out of hand at this point, and while criticizing mods is never a good idea I have to say that they really need to do something more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Na I like to see it.

The for Joinings always seem like level headed blokes facing reality of irelands current climate.

The against seem to be pure rants dragging up the past using words like hate, ashamed and disgusted.

Reminds me why I no longer live in either Northern or Southern Ireland.

• Advertisement

Being born somewhere doesnt mean sh1t. Unionists, the majority anyway, despise being called irish, and to be honest im glad, i wouldnt want to be the same nationality as them.

Once again, what gives you the right to judge people born in Ireland in terms of being irish or not?

Who the fcuk do you think you are? Telling people what their birth right is.

Advertisement