Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excited about college

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

The_D_Man wrote: »
    Anyone else here nervous about moving into an apartment with complete strangers!??Im fairly shy as well to make matters worse!

It'll be grand :) Is it student accomodation? Everyone is the exact same, and some student villages like to put students in the same course/type of course together, so you'll have someone to find your way around with from the start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

The_D_Man wrote: »
    Anyone else here nervous about moving into an apartment with complete strangers!??Im fairly shy as well to make matters worse!

I cant wait for this should be good craic and even if you dont like the people at first your going to have to learn to. Have a big party the first night no better way to meet your neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Im not looking forward to it at all, im feckin terrified to say the least! Im quiet and shy, and although i have a big group of brilliant friends, im the only one moving across the country! I sound like my 12 yr old self when i was going into secondary, but Im terrified I wont get to know anyone and I'll be a loner, coz the Arts classes are massive and i wont be sittin beside the same people day in day out!
    And then im terrified the course will be terrible, or that Arts wont get me anywhere when Im finally finished... Ugh Id like to go back to secondary right now... so structured, so comfy, and full of friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

muffinz wrote: »
    Im not looking forward to it at all, im feckin terrified to say the least! Im quiet and shy, and although i have a big group of brilliant friends, im the only one moving across the country! I sound like my 12 yr old self when i was going into secondary, but Im terrified I wont get to know anyone and I'll be a loner, coz the Arts classes are massive and i wont be sittin beside the same people day in day out!
    And then im terrified the course will be terrible, or that Arts wont get me anywhere when Im finally finished... Ugh Id like to go back to secondary right now... so structured, so comfy, and full of friends!

Omg i'm completely the same. I mean i'm not moving anywhere but i'm really freaked because i am a shy person and i'm afraid that people will see that and not bother coming over to me because they think that it's what i would want. I might be doing Arts as well and that's exactly what's freaking me.....I'm glad someone else feels the same and it's not just me haha

Grace16 wrote: »
    Omg i'm completely the same. I mean i'm not moving anywhere but i'm really freaked because i am a shy person and i'm afraid that people will see that and not bother coming over to me because they think that it's what i would want. I might be doing Arts as well and that's exactly what's freaking me.....I'm glad someone else feels the same and it's not just me haha
    Thank god its not only me! All my friends are so excited, I just put on my happy face and join in, even though inside im like F*****CK :p

• Advertisement

Thank god its not only me! All my friends are so excited, I just put on my happy face and join in, even though inside im like F*****CK :p

Exactly! I mean my friends are like "Thank God secondary is over.....College is the best time of your life" and i'm like "No its gonna be terrible" I mean it's like starting school all over again having to make friends with complete strangers

Exactly! I mean my friends are like "Thank God secondary is over.....College is the best time of your life" and i'm like "No its gonna be terrible" I mean it's like starting school all over again having to make friends with complete strangers
    Mhmm! If i do get my first choice(which i wont) theres only 14 ppl in the course, so that wud be ok coz you get to know each other so easily, but 300, and then some of them are going to already know each other, ill just be at home watchin tv on saturday nights :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I had all these fears as well. But trust me, unless you actively try to push people away, you'll have plenty of friends. If you're shy like I was, then you can just view this as a way of reinventing yourself, as corny as that sounds. Talk to people. Talk to LOTS of people. Start group conversations, suggest you all get lunch or coffee together. When I say talk to LOTS of people, I really mean talk to everyone you can lay your eyes on. Talk about college because guess what, you're all in the same boat.

Mhmm! If i do get my first choice(which i wont) theres only 14 ppl in the course, so that wud be ok coz you get to know each other so easily, but 300, and then some of them are going to already know each other, ill just be at home watchin tv on saturday nights :P

I know if i get my first choice then there are still a lot of people but nowhere near as much as the Arts course. It would be good if somebody i knew was there because then there would be more of a chance of talking to more people. Watching tv on Saturday nights isn't too bad though as long as it's good programmes haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

To all people doing Arts in Galway...don't worry...I'll be your friend!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

I'm a bit worried alright. I'm in Limerick now and all my friends are off to UL. I'm off to DIT to do architecture, I really don't think I can draw that well, everyone is gonna be so competitive, you can fail even if you work hard. As sad as it sounds I'm really gonna ****in' miss my dog. The hours for architecture are so long and I'm one of thpse people that sleep very easily. I don't know if I can come home every weekend and I'm gonna miss grass aswell. Dublin is so insular and I live in the countryside. Also worried the other architect students are gonna be stuck up their own ass because that seems to be what people think about them in general. I'm excited but worried at the same time.

Aww, seriously, it'll be grand! About 1 or 2 weeks into the first semester ye'll be remembering thinking all this and realising how wrong it was! Everyone is in the same boat the first few weeks, get to know anyone you can, from people living with/around you to people doing your subjects. And yes, uni is way better than secondary school! So you're moved out of your comfort zone for a week or two but once all thats over and you make a bit of effort you'll have a group of friends going no problem :) I've seen the shyest people come totally out of their shells (I'm thinking of 1 person in particular whos doing arts aswel) so g'wan, see it as a chance to make a fresh start.

I found it even better going to college where I knew no one in my course/faculty and only 3 or 4 others in the whole college. And then you'll have your school friends at the weekends if you go home, best of both worlds!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im really looking forward to it but part of me is a bit nervous. I really do believe it will be a great thing being away from home though. I think it will be easy enough to make friends once you get into a few clubs and societys and the chances are you will get on welll with most of your housemates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    To all people doing Arts in Galway...don't worry...I'll be your friend!:D
    me too :cool: sorted ;) haha

musical.x

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My dad, who is a lecturer in a college, told me to join societies. I don't know which societies I would join - I'm useless at all sports, for example.

I'm starting to hope that some of my friends get certain choices on their CAO so they end up where I will be (UCD hopefully) but it's unlikely that will happen.

Also, for the first year, I will probably be returning home at the weekends. Does this mean I will miss out on the college life / nightlife? I will be concentrating on my studies but I don't want to miss out on the college experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Also, for the first year, I will probably be returning home at the weekends. Does this mean I will miss out on the college life / nightlife? I will be concentrating on my studies but I don't want to miss out on the college experience.

You wont miss anything each college tens to have its own night out. In waterford its wednesday and i think its tuesdays in limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

leg wrote: »
    You wont miss anything each college tens to have its own night out. In waterford its wednesday and i think its tuesdays in limerick

Thursdays for the Dublin Universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

musical.x wrote: »
    me too :cool: sorted ;) haha

musical.x
    Yeah musical you're my first college friend. Well done. Ya dunno what you're getting yourself in for! Anyone else care to do Arts in Galway for the buzz?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Potatofarl

God I have to say I'm so jealous of everyone replying to this thread who is heading off to college at end of summer!! I'm 2 years finished college now and miss the good old days (I sound so old ha, 'in my day...'). College is a great experience, scary moving away but some of the friends you make in college will be friends for life. If I could give a little bit of advice though it would be to study consistently throughout the year...I had repeats first and second year and I wouldn't recommend it!! Was too busy enjoying myself :) Managed my way through 3rd and 4th thankfully!! No repeats means amazing summers of J1's and inter railing and more fun!

Did I mention I'm jealous??? :D Enjoy xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Dante

Fad wrote: »
    *Prepares to ruin your expectations*

College is spectacularly overrated. You will still have to study seemingly arbitrary shít that you dont want to do, continuous assesment that you ranted on about the need for it in Irish essays will become the bane of your existence.

Enjoy.
    I love college, but dont get your hopes too high
    :)

Ignore this, college is absolutely immense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

I CAN'T WAIT FOR COLLEGE!!! :)

soooo excited. I can't wait to be studying stuff i like, i know not all of it will be thrilling but it'll be nice to be studying a subject that matters (LC German SO did not matter to me). :)

What the hell is with people saying college exams are harder etc cos you need to understand material for college unlike LC? That is SO not true. Nobody gets A1s in chemistry, physics, biology, geography, english, irish, french, german the list goes on, without understanding the course. I've to agree that eventhough i'm not in college, i don't think it's as easy as people presume. Look at the amount of first years repeating end of year exams!

But i really can't wait for college. I'll just need to find the right balance between studying and socializing.

What the hell is with people saying college exams are harder etc cos you need to understand material for college unlike LC? That is SO not true. Nobody gets A1s in chemistry, physics, biology, geography, english, irish, french, german the list goes on, without understanding the course. I've to agree that eventhough i'm not in college, i don't think it's as easy as people presume. Look at the amount of first years repeating end of year exams!

In the LC you have a set syllabus that can come up, you have past papers, predictions, mocks etc, and anything on the exam has been set out in your books, revision books and by your teachers. You know exactly what is expected of you, how much to write, how many marks for each section.
    In college not all the material is covered in lectures. Theres recommended reading and further research required. In the exam you can't be sure how much you're expected to write or how in depth to go. Theres no spoonfeeding from teachers, telling you that what they've done is all that can be on the paper, whats covered in lectures is only the basis of what the course is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Chem, Bio, Geography, French are all subjects that I have personally seen people come out with A1s having gone in with little genuine understanding of the subject, but had excellent exam technique and learned of giant stacks of notes. I'm not saying there's no wrote learning in college, there is some, but it's much harder to get away with purely relying on it. Also the exams are much much harder to predict because lecturers can change every other year and there's little or no pattern to some exams.

I also found college exams to be much more stressful than the Leaving, despite the fact that most of them were only worth 50 or 60 per cent of the subject.

Again, the workload for exams and during the year is pretty dependent on your course, science based courses have a generally higher workload (In terms of timetabled hours and assignments throughout the year)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I did the Leaving Cert. I got 580 without understanding any of it. Just memorized a bunch of stuff. My courses were biology, chemistry, physics, applied maths, maths, english, french.

I went on to do biochemistry in UCD. In my experience, you really cannot expect to get good marks through knowledge alone in college. You NEED to understand above and beyond the material that you're given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Chem, Bio, Geography, French are all subjects that I have personally seen people come out with A1s having gone in with little genuine understanding of the subject, but had excellent exam technique and learned of giant stacks of notes. I'm not saying there's no wrote learning in college, there is some, but it's much harder to get away with purely relying on it. Also the exams are much much harder to predict because lecturers can change every other year and there's little or no pattern to some exams.

This is why I'm glad I'm doing maths :P

I'll always be able to just work out the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

unknown13 wrote: »
    Thursdays for the Dublin Universities.

There's a fúck load on most nights, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are the big nights.

Some of the best stuff is on on Thursdays though (Like Muzik in the Button Factory) but it'll probably change around a little every year.

(A slight aside, smaller clubs are generally better......XXI's is an absolute hole of a place.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Triarius

For the first time in my life i'm actually looking forward to the end of summer, can't wait for college, hopefully goin to UCD DCU or NUIG

I'm looking forward to:
    Makin new freinds
    The night life and parties etc.
    Studyin something that interests me
    Total independence
    Joining clubs ( taking up as many sports & martial arts as possible)

I'm nervous about:
    having to live on my own money
    trying to find my way around dublin ( I mightn't even find my way to UCD/DCU )
    not having parents to cook, clean, do pretty much everything for me
    The workload (law course) and being responsable for my own education
    Possibly not getting on with roommates.

Overall I'm far more excited than nervous though

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My dad, who is a lecturer in a college, told me to join societies. I don't know which societies I would join - I'm useless at all sports, for example.
    Colleges have loads of clubs (sports) and societies (everything from Netsoc to discipline specific societies e.g. MathSoc to debating societies to international societies to ... depends on the college. You'll find something that interests you.
    Nope ... weekends tend to be the quiet times student activity-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JRooster

only about a month til the first round offers! aaagghhh! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Women. Thats what I'm looking forward to...

Advertisement