Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excited about college

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

musical.x wrote: »
    see i dont mind living at home!saves money :cool: hate the bus in though :( its like 7.30 in the morning so will be at the college at like 8-8.20 :rolleyes: not fun. yeh irish is boring...easy though haha.

musical .x :D
    Yeah saves money suppose. Jaysus where the hell are you living? 7.30? Hopefully I'll have an auld car by then, if not it'll be the 8.05 bus!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Maestoso

I hope that I don't get accomodation among people who are toooo bothered by my disgusting habits. But I probably will. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

*Prepares to ruin your expectations*

College is spectacularly overrated. You will still have to study seemingly arbitrary shít that you dont want to do, continuous assesment that you ranted on about the need for it in Irish essays will become the bane of your existence.

Enjoy.
    I love college, but dont get your hopes too high
    :)

Fad wrote: »
    *Prepares to ruin your expectations*

College is spectacularly overrated. You will still have to study seemingly arbitrary shít that you dont want to do, continuous assesment that you ranted on about the need for it in Irish essays will become the bane of your existence.

Enjoy.
    I love college, but dont get your hopes too high
    :)
    Thanks so much for ruining all my hopes and expectations!:pAt the end of the day, it's just another step on the road to total independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Cyzrane

Yep, absolutely and completely can't wait. I think that the poster above me used the right word: "independence". We'll all finally be one step closer to being real independent entities, as opposed to the spoon-fed secondary schoolers that we've been to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

Yeah in a way i'm looking forward to college but i'm also dreading it! I mean it's like starting school all over again and having to make new friends....god it's gonna be an interesting first few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

Grace16 wrote: »
    Yeah in a way i'm looking forward to college but i'm also dreading it! I mean it's like starting school all over again and having to make new friends....god it's gonna be an interesting first few months!
    lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

The making friends thing seriously isn't as bad as it seems.
    I went from hardly any friends in secondary to knowing plenty of people in college. The first week you will tell sooo many people what your name is and what course you're doing.
    you probably make more friends if you go alone than if your with friends you already know.
    Just try to say something random to any people you meet, or find yourself sitting beside. Join up societies as soon as you can. I found that college people were SO much nicer than secondary- more open, friendly, accepting of different people, less childish teasing....

Also, don't just think college is a huge party. Try to make every class only avoid the ones you have to. Set aside an hour or two each night for assignments and notes, go out at the weekends.

Grace16 wrote: »
    Sure going into secondary was worse, even primary. Jesus primary was bad now! Like the other poster there I'm just joining society after society, but the poker society first!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

Noodleworm wrote: »
    go out at the weekends.
    But sure then you wouldnt be going out in your college town atall? You might aswell be in secondary school, there would be little difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Im a boy hopefully doing primary school teaching... yep that should be good :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aoife365

Ya im excited!
    Hope to meet nice people! There is a lot of fakeness in school so hopefully it wont be that bad in college! Its a bit scary tho! I'm not moving out yet mayb nxt year! But good luck to the ones moving out for the frist time! You will be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Anybody else slightly nervous about staying away from home? I am! But I can't wait to college - the freedom, college life, and studying only something you like will all be excellent! I don't think any of us will sit exams as large, important and stressful as the LC in college!
    Yeah, I'm kinda nervous.. especially as I'm essentially emigrating... still not certain if I'll follow it through now...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Yeah, I'm kinda nervous.. especially as I'm essentially emigrating... still not certain if I'll follow it through now...

Your right Meath is a strange and foreign land :pac: where are you going too?

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Your right Meath is a strange and foreign land :pac: where are you going too?

St. Andrews in Scotland. I was over there for the open day, liked the place, liked the Uni, but still, it's a big step...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Yeah saves money suppose. Jaysus where the hell are you living? 7.30? Hopefully I'll have an auld car by then, if not it'll be the 8.05 bus!:p
    haha i know its crazy right!! 8.05 wont be to bad. ah the car is handy but sure the bus will do no harm ;) hopefully!

St. Andrews in Scotland. I was over there for the open day, liked the place, liked the Uni, but still, it's a big step...
    what course is it? ah scotland will be cool though :D good luck with it!

musical.x :D

what course is it? ah scotland will be cool though :D good luck with it!

musical.x :D
    Thanks!

It's a 4 year MMath, which basically means 1st, 2nd and 3rd year are compressed into the first two years. I get like half a year of credits for free for being well qualified. It'll be quite a workload, but it's a quicker route to a masters degree than I could get here, and the whole place just seemed more appealing than Dublin or Galway (no offence to their respective inhabitants), and the whole tradition and history of the place was really cool.

haha i know its crazy right!! 8.05 wont be to bad. ah the car is handy but sure the bus will do no harm ;) hopefully!
    Seriously 7.30...I'd move out just to protect my sleep-ins!
    And EuropeanSon...don't you say nathin about Galway roite?!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

If I was to stay at home the bus would be going at 7.20am every morning and at that I still might not make it in for 9 :o Moving to Cork City ftw :D Hopefully anyway... Limerick is number 1 but thats a rightoff.. Arts is second in UCC so hopefully I will get that and not fail Irish.. otherwise it is English and New Media in UL..:(

My heart is kinda set on Arts now, which I know to some people might sound silly but I dont care.. I'd love to stay in Cork. Fingers crossed!

Im kinda not really thinking about it but when I do its scary.. :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

cork*girl wrote: »
    If I was to stay at home the bus would be going at 7.20am every morning and at that I still might not make it in for 9 :o Moving to Cork City ftw :D Hopefully anyway... Limerick is number 1 but thats a rightoff.. Arts is second in UCC so hopefully I will get that and not fail Irish.. otherwise it is English and New Media in UL..:(

My heart is kinda set on Arts now, which I know to some people might sound silly but I dont care.. I'd love to stay in Cork. Fingers crossed!

Im kinda not really thinking about it but when I do its scary.. :O

As long as you do something that you like, its all gravy.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Seriously 7.30...I'd move out just to protect my sleep-ins!
    And EuropeanSon...don't you say nathin about Galway roite?!:p
    Well, if it's any consolation, it's better than Dublin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Well, if it's any consolation, it's better than Dublin. :)

Do you have a problem with Dublin.

unknown13 wrote: »
    He just said Galway is better. Uptight much:rolleyes:

Thanks!

It's a 4 year MMath, which basically means 1st, 2nd and 3rd year are compressed into the first two years. I get like half a year of credits for free for being well qualified. It'll be quite a workload, but it's a quicker route to a masters degree than I could get here, and the whole place just seemed more appealing than Dublin or Galway (no offence to their respective inhabitants), and the whole tradition and history of the place was really cool.
    plus they have brilliant accents :D
    yeh wally you tell them haha only galway people can diss the place ;)
    sounds good though.ah the workload you can deal with like,thats what the weekend is for :P

unknown13 wrote: »
    Nope. I just wouldn't like to live there, it's a kip. I said Galway was nicer, which is undeniable.

plus they have brilliant accents :D
    yeh wally you tell them haha only galway people can diss the place ;)
    sounds good though.ah the workload you can deal with like,thats what the weekend is for :P
    Yeah, I love the accents :)

I love maths anyway, it won't be much like work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

''touches wood''

Frankly i'd rather have to deal with the downsides of college than to repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭The_D_Man

Anyone else here nervous about moving into an apartment with complete strangers!??Im fairly shy as well to make matters worse!

• Advertisement

The_D_Man wrote: »
    Anyone else here nervous about moving into an apartment with complete strangers!??Im fairly shy as well to make matters worse!

where are you moving too? i'm pretty sure everyone feels the same.dont worry about it.

musical.x

Advertisement