Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming club - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

baldshin wrote: »
    Not sure if i'll tag along to this particular meet-i'd be the annoying guy constantly dying and asking what button does what! i'm more of a sports/retro gamer,though i do love a bit of rockband-drums or guitar for me!

Dude don't be daft..who cares like! It's all about having fun, once you get to grip with a few buttons you'll be grand! I'm not great either :)
    whiteman19 wrote: »
    disappointed i'm not going to be there saturday last bus leaves at 6.10pm so it's not really worth my while going down. might come down another week. any idea on when the LAN will be and where?

This is just going to be a mini break the ice meet up! The next one prob won't be for around two weeks or so.. time to prepare and leaving it til after the arts festival! Also we could have mini ones in between at peoples houses.. few beers, chill out kinda thing!

then why not get a USB mouse? they're cheap enough and you don't really need one of them gaming mouses, though a mouse with a scroller is essential for FPS's

i was wondering should we get in touch with CompSoc in NUIG? i know they have a few LANs going and Xboxs/PS's set up in the college on monday nights during the college year.

Is theirs successful? They tried setting up one in GMIT - more or less after we were banned from playing games, so we thought it might've been a loophole - sadly it wasn't and it went nowhere.

I have to get myself back into PC FPSs now.. as unfortunate as it sounds, I'm more used to playing console ones now - only because I just got fed up with PC gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

i was wondering should we get in touch with CompSoc in NUIG? i know they have a few LANs going and Xboxs/PS's set up in the college on monday nights during the college year.
    CompSoc used to have LAN's in Wired regularly enough.

Maybe if they were up for a LAN in [ii] we could join forces sometime.

What games do they have in S-Eyes bar the obvious MW2 and Rockband?... do they have BC:2?....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i suppose we better just get set up with ourselves first before looking for others to join in :)

i'm kinda limited in my LAN experience. all the network games i've played have been with my brother. never played online cos of shíte internet so can't say whether i'm good or not at anything :/

• Advertisement

i suppose we better just get set up with ourselves first before looking for others to join in :)

i'm kinda limited in my LAN experience. all the network games i've played have been with my brother. never played online cos of shíte internet so can't say whether i'm good or not at anything :/

Dude it's all about having fun.. fúck anyone else who thinks differently

What games do they have in S-Eyes bar the obvious MW2 and Rockband?... do they have BC:2?....

Tbh I have no idea hun! I reckon they might.. sorry I can't be of more help!

Everybody is sh1t when they first start off. I hate this elitist bullsh1t you get, normally from 12 year old kids. They were "newbs" once and it's absolutely donkeyballs! You learn and you get better and adapt as the games go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Flojo wrote: »
    Dude it's all about having fun.. fúck anyone else who thinks differently
    well, i'm used to always beating my brother so it might be a bit of a shock if i start losing :eek: :P

sure it'll all be good craic anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

BC2 we have, doesn't play on LAN though (for similar reasons to the way no-one could host a dedicated MW2 server when they released the game - we found a way around that issue for MW2 tho) If you've your own copy and steam account I think you can multiplayer, but shooters aren't my genre to play so don't quote me on that.

There's about, erm, 80-odd games installed on the PCs, broadly split into First Person (which isn't strictly 1st person, there's 3rd person games there too now - mostly it's multiplayer/shooty games :P), RTS, Single Player, MMO & Sports & Sim categories.
    If there's a particular game you're looking for I can probably tell you off the top of my head if we have it, otherwise pop down and they can throw on a PC for you to look at the menu before you lay money down.

• Advertisement

Yep, they have BC:2. They have pretty much anything recent that was popular. They have a lot of older gems as well.

What I can think of off the top of my head...

Orange Box, Mass Effect, GTA4, Left4Dead 2, OP Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising, Flashpoint FFUR mod, Borderlands, Crysis, Company of Heroes, Total War, C&C, Warhammer, Dawn of War, Sega Rally, Dirt, FIFA 10, PES.

Loads more, can't remember. Maybe steel_spine could throw up a screen grab. A games list seems like the sort of thing you should be able to see on the website or on the forum at least. [cough... cough...]

EDIT: Lots of MMO's also (which FYI, you need your own account for).

Yep, they have BC:2. They have pretty much anything recent that was popular. They have a lot of older gems as well.

What I can think of off the top of my head...

Orange Box, Mass Effect, GTA4, Left4Dead 2, OP Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising, Flashpoint FFUR mod, Borderlands, Crysis, Company of Heroes, Total War, C&C, Warhammer, Dawn of War, Sega Rally, Dirt, FIFA 10, PES.

Loads more, can't remember. Maybe steel_spine could throw up a screen grab. A games list seems like the sort of thing you should be able to see on the website or on the forum at least. [cough... cough...]

Any of those i'd really be up for playing, but i'm easy anyway and would give anything a bash, but big fans of all highlighted(although i've never played or owned the two racing ones, just think they'd be a laugh)

Special mention for L4D.... seriously fun game.

Related to that someone mentioned earlier about the elitist aspect of gaming, that was the one game though it would wreck your head having new ppl on your team, it would always be the person doing split screen(prob a friend over who never played before), just because someone pissing about would slow you down and you'd constantly end up trying to save them-dying in the process etc.... i've never had a problem playing with new ppl in any game, but that one it's important to at least practice offline before hand or it hinders everyone elses game too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

You'll have to ask Ronan for that ;)

I had a typed list i was keeping updated for myself. If I still have it on the laptop and get time I might upload it somewhere & post a link. Prob after the weekend though - at the moment I keep posting 'cause i'm trying to stay awake for the 3.45am GoBus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭baldshin

I'd be the same in my selections as gilberto eire, especially Left 4 Dead- seriously good multiplayer game, gotta be constantly talking to each other to survive it on the hardest difficulty, and you get really engrossed in it!

I'd be the same in my selections as gilberto eire, especially Left 4 Dead- seriously good multiplayer game, gotta be constantly talking to each other to survive it on the hardest difficulty, and you get really engrossed in it!

I don't think i ever touched the highest one, did the one above normal and that was hard enough :D.... ya it's the only game bar Socom where a headset is essential, most i played with would kick someone if they didn't have one.
    You can play up to 8 people as well if you do the versus mode, although people would be peeking at your screens for hints of where your lurking in wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭baldshin

I don't think i ever touched the highest one, did the one above normal and that was hard enough :D....

It's not for the faint of heart!!

It's not for the faint of heart!!

i.e.... me :D

I don't like being challenged TOO much in games. I prefer to play a game through and enjoy it and not have to be restarting over and over...for that reason after importing Demon Souls, i sold in on adverts within two days :).... most punishing game ever- die>restart the whole level- all enemies respawn-lose souls-natural progression not guaranteed>for sale :pac:.

Having said that i've been at Tiger Woods 11 for the past 3 days and theres a LOT of restarting 10-15min bits without any progression and i'm still playing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Can I suggest some Rock Band at some point on Sat?

DO want!!! :D I broke my leg playing guitar hero' thats how hardcore I am! :D

A mate of mine ordered demons souls from Asia last summer and he warned me of how goddamn tough it was alright! Have yet to play it myself!

It's all a bit of craic guys. Just chillin, meeting a few new mates and having a good time. I am not the best player by ANY stretch of the imagination but I love the taking part and having a bit of a laugh. Thats what this should be all about, everyone is welcome! :)

*FLASHES BEWBS*

Runs away giggling.....

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Blood-Martyr

*FLASHES BEWBS*

Runs away giggling.....

GAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Oh wait there gone

• Advertisement

GAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Oh wait there gone

Too slow Mr! Maybe next time ;)

Asmodean wrote: »
    DO want!!! :D I broke my leg playing guitar hero' thats how hardcore I am! :D

A mate of mine ordered demons souls from Asia last summer and he warned me of how goddamn tough it was alright! Have yet to play it myself!

It's all a bit of craic guys. Just chillin, meeting a few new mates and having a good time. I am not the best player by ANY stretch of the imagination but I love the taking part and having a bit of a laugh. Thats what this should be all about, everyone is welcome! :)

If getting killed 15 times and having to go through the same process countless times with nothing to show for it at that end(provided that you die a second time before getting back to where you originally died[to collect your souls you dropped]-and not getting the souls you'd collected through the level to that point) it's for you :D... most liked it though, i got it on the basis of what i read on here. Wasn't for me though, was just too hard and i don't give up easy on most games.

Ah ya i wasn't talking about in LAN sense, i was speaking about L4D in a strictly online sense. Nothing worse then someone who keeps holding everyone up and needing constant saving(then making no effort to help you :mad:- they were usually the same people) and who generally take the mick, the sort of stuff you wouldnt get in a LAN/friends multiplayer session.

I do get frustrated very quickly at such games where you gotta work soooo hard to make any kind of progression. Its just not much fun like.
    the sort of stuff you wouldnt get in a LAN/friends multiplayer session.
    Yeah very true! If you're playing with people you know it's a bit more relaxed alright. Plus we get cookies apparently. lol All good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

These cookies you speak of, what type of cookies are they?

skelliser wrote: »
    These cookies you speak of, what type of cookies are they?

The best kind... big ones with choc chip.. maybe some caramel.. nom nom nom!

Asmodean wrote: »
    I do get frustrated very quickly at such games where you gotta work soooo hard to make any kind of progression. Its just not much fun like.

I'd say it's highly unlikely you'd like it then, but if your friend has it you could borrow it, i didn't have that luxury so i lost a few quid on it.

Actually now that i think of it, i got it just before FIFA 10 came out and for the first two days i had 10 i still had it and never touched it, maybe if i didnt get 10 i might have gave it a bit more of a go.

According to my cousin (who i got a second copy for at the time) once you get passed one or two bits near the start it progresses more, as your of a decent level(need to 'harvest' souls in easier levels then get out alive and back to the 'home' section and sell them for upgrades).

Visually and all that it was amazing though, it was just the difficulty, if there was the option to turn on ''no enemy respawns after death'' or ''keep souls collected even after death'' i'd have kept going.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Blood-Martyr

Don't start . . . . must . . find . . . coo . . .kie . . . s

Mmmmmmm Caramel Degistives . . . nom nom nom

OT: So What we playing for sure on Sat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

They have savage ones in the self service part of the supervalu on fr. griffin road. Think they are freshly made each day.

I believe i shall be pwning all ur asses in MW2.

Not too sure actually! I'd be up for anything, must see does anyone else have any preferences?

In regards to Demons soul I remember my mate telling me he was in the middle of a boss and his mother came in to talk to him and he had to tell her to **** off :/ lol

• Advertisement

MW2 & Rock Band by the looks of it. Rock Band will just be to break it up, not a long session of it.

Maybe try Arma II. Sure we can decide to play a bit of what everyone likes on Saturday. I'm not fussed. I haven't played most of the games so I'm not fussed.

Some of the games are no craic without a LAN.

Advertisement