Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

For people unsure:

http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom

mmorpg.com have been given permission by SE to stream the game. Not sure how long they'll be on.

EDIT:
    Can't even get onto a server now lol,there all full.

Apparently this is intended to limit the amount of players that can log on right now to avoid crazy delays as per usual on MMO launches.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Any endgame ?

Nevermind guy im watching stream says there is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

I don't know if anyone here tried to play yesterday, but if so you will find the following video hilarious!
    I just hope it doesn't continue like this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Well early access was a bit of hit and miss really.

Saturday was going fine for me but the various logon issues caused them to shut down for a few hours for maintenance.
    Sunday had similar issues and issues with the duty finder. Again a two hour shut down and then the login throttling to control the load caused the above errors. That said with them it never took me over 10 minutes to get in.

I can understand the annoyance for users but to be honest, I pretty much expected it to be like this so I wasn't overly bothered. MMO launches are never smooth. Especially when there is a huge fan base that are guaranteed to try it out. The only thing I still can't figure out is why there is only five euro servers... I'm hoping they cop onto that and add more with the option for transfers so it spreads out a bit.

Managed to get my Glad to 15. Miner to 15 and Goldsmithy to 10ish. Once I finally get passage to the other towns I'll get my Armorsmith and Conj leveled for some cross class abilities and steps towards becoming a Paladin.
    Even though I started from scratch I'm still loving it. The game is great fun and amazing to look at. I've been taking my time leveling. Can never understand those who race to max level and miss half of what is going on around them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Played on Saturday for about 5 hours, then was away till Sunday afternoon around 2pm. Got about 30 mins in (think my THM is 15 now) before the servers went down, just as I was logging into a instance.

Whily I'm not having a total meltdown (enough of that going on in the forums), it is a bit puzzling that it could all go so badly - and this is pre puchase. God knows what tomorrow will be like (although they are talking about pre-purchase going till the 29th?).

Maybe someone who understand how this all works can explain it to me. I understand that they will not build server infrastructure to meet crazy first month demand, but SE surely have enough experience at this stage to make it work more smoothly than has been the case so far. Saying 'there are always problems' is a bit of a cop out for me. If this was the first MMO ever launched that would be understandable, but they're 10 a penny these days. If no-one is learning from previous mistakes, what does that say. Rift and GW2 were pretty problem free (as far as I remember.....), this is more like the Aion debacle (you are number 5000 in a queue, expected wait time to log in - 2 days).

Then again even Blizzard had issues with DIII....

Anyway, I'm back at work now so play time will be limited, hopefully I can get an hour or two in this evening.

Aside from all that lark, still think the game is great, looking forward to getting my THM to maybe 20, then going after a few other roles to fill out ability list.

• Advertisement

It looks to have a huge amount of content, could this be finally an mmo worthy of subbing to longterm?
    I might grab it during the week once issues die down, every mmo has a dodgy launch and i mean every single one of them.

Grrrrr.......

Capture-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Not a single EU server is accepting people now.. Do I wait until they reopen them/add more or do I just put myself on an NA server and hope I don't have bad latency:(

Not a single EU server is accepting people now.. Do I wait until they reopen them/add more or do I just put myself on an NA server and hope I don't have bad latency:(

The NA and EU servers are all based in Montreal apparently, so latency wise its probably the same.

Whether or not you can get into the server in NA is probably a bigger concern......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

anyone have a link to a good streaming vid or anything

• Advertisement

Lone Stone wrote: »
    anyone have a link to a good streaming vid or anything

Quick look on twitch

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Final%20Fantasy%20XIV%20Online:%20A%20Realm%20Reborn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Dcully wrote: »

MMORPG have been given permission to stream the game (excluding the cutscenes).

Well I must admit I was a tad worried about the full game registration being launch day today... I had no need.

Had my code this morning. Went to the mog station to register half expecting the site to be down or very sluggish. It wasn't.
    Entered code. Registration complete. Set up sub. No paypal option is $hite but I'm sure that'll appear down the line. Set up complete.

Everything went off without a hitch. Decided to test the server just to see (am in work on a crappy PC that struggles to run it on low in a tiny window) but none the less, got in. No queue, no errors. Could this be the start of something beautiful? :P

BTW lads, if you do get "This world is currently full" just keep trying. I've had it every time I tried to log in during early access. It still never took me more than 10 minutes to get in. Once I ended up in a queue of over 700 and it logged me in 2 minutes later.

Loads of streams up now, pretty much any streamer ive asked are raving about the game.

Decided to buy the game, think ill roll on Phoenix server.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

This game is very addicting on my way to become a summoner \o/ any of yous playing on Behemoth server?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

I have to buy the game to do the trial. Weird.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Had no problems getting onto odin today \0/

Hmm tad confused about the classes, i understand i can have em all on one character.
    But will my Gladiator that i start with be as good a healer as if i started as a healer?
    Heard something about i may not get all skills and stats?

Yoshi P's speech from the launch event.

Translation from Reddit:
    This is crazy.
    Before I say anything, let me first start by saying that these 3 days we had intended to use for early-access were interrupted by emergency maintenance, which resulted in PC players in North America and Europe that were really looking forward to this missing out on a lot of play time, and I would like to use this part of the presentation, which is being broadcast worldwide, to apologize for that right now. We are truly sorry.
    We are about to set out on a very long journey together, and as such, I would really do hope that I can redeem myself for that mistake.
    Uhm... <pause>
    "Do your best!"
    Uhm... It has been about 3 years since I inherited this FFXIV project. At first, well, I had never been that involved with the game, but I thought, "I can probably do something with this." And ultimately, since I really enjoy the FF series myself, I gathered the staff and we discussed the idea of re-making the game.
    I remember it even now, it was December 1st and we were in a studio just like this, and the mixer room was just above me. And they were adjusting the mic that I was to use. That whole scene really left an impression on me. I was right there with the players thinking, "Can we really save this? This will be no small task."
    One by one folks started giving us their support, even those people who firmly believed that it would take at least 4 to 5 years to create a solid MMORPG. We didn't waste a second and did our best not to rush the work and take our time during the planning process, we would say when handling the companies day-to-day affairs that our company is the tank. We stayed out in the front and we kept moving forward, and eventually came this far.
    I can't even take credit for the creation of FFXIV:ARR. It really was thanks to the fans worldwide, our core staff here beside me, and the hundreds of other staff members who contributed but were unable to make it here tonight that we made it this far.
    Honestly, I did not plan on crying here tonight, but for us, finally, FFXIV can start the first step of its true rebirth. This is no time to take a rest. We will keep focused on the next patch, the next expansion, and continue at full strength. And really, I'd like to address those FFXIV community members who I'm sure faced criticism from their friends about the fact that they stuck with FFXIV despite all its problems, to us, this 2.5, 3 years went by so quickly, but for the players it was such a long wait. Everyone at Square Enix can truly say that their hard work helped to repair any damage done to the Final Fantasy name. It is not a perfectly finished MMORPG, but we all arrived at this point together. We created this game together. We want to make this an unforgettable entry in the series that we all enjoy together and are still playing 5 years or even 10 years from now, and that all starts today.
    Thank you very much.

Not very often you see this display of emotion :o

• Advertisement

Cant log in, world is full message :(

Still cant get my head around the class system.

Cant log in, world is full message :(

Still cant get my head around the class system.

Skills you don't have to worry about, bar the ones that you have to quest for that class.

Jobs share their attributes points with their respective classes, but I don't know if that means that you can go say.. VIT for GLD and then say.. Int for whatever and have them separate.
    I do know that you can reset attributes with a scroll purchased for 10k GC.

Ok, I think attributes for base classes are all separate so you can go for VIT on one base class and Int on another. Your Job e.g. Warrior then takes some attributes from it two base classes. I hope this is how it goes, need to get back to revision.. after tomorrow I can rot away in Eorzea :D

Thanks guys, does this mean my current lvl 7 Gladiator can at some stage be a Conjurer 100% and be just as effective a healer as if i rolled a new character as conjurer? If you get my meaning.

Thanks guys, does this mean my current lvl 7 Gladiator can at some stage be a Conjurer 100% and be just as effective a healer as if i rolled a new character as conjurer? If you get my meaning.

Ok, definitely going back to revision after this! Attribute points used on a class are only for that class, so yes you can level GLD and pump w/e into it and then level something else and use the points earned on that for different attributes.

To summarise, points are tied to classes and not the character itself.

Yup as Raz said. As far as I know, the attribute points you acquire are class based and not character.

From what I can tell (but I am no expert), you technically only need one character... It can do everything. Obviously leveling all classes / jobs to max will take forvever and a day but the option is there (not to mention gearing). Personally I love the idea..

Like I said, this is how I THINK it works. I could be mistaken.

btw, logged into Odin straight away just now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Noxin wrote: »
    Yup as Raz said. As far as I know, the attribute points you acquire are class based and not character.

From what I can tell (but I am no expert), you technically only need one character... It can do everything. Obviously leveling all classes / jobs to max will take forvever and a day but the option is there (not to mention gearing). Personally I love the idea..

Like I said, this is how I THINK it works. I could be mistaken.

btw, logged into Odin straight away just now. :)

I think this is how it works, originally rolled a Lancer and picked up Maraduer so I could try tanking, the extra attribute points from Lancer didnt show up when I switched to Maraduer. The only crossover seems to be some skills can be used by other classes, wouldnt know which, its in the "Skills & Actions" tab there is a slot called "Extra" where you can pick abilities from other classes youve unlocked. Ive none so far, think they are mainly in the lvl 30-40 brackets.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    I think this is how it works, originally rolled a Lancer and picked up Maraduer so I could try tanking, the extra attribute points from Lancer didnt show up when I switched to Maraduer. The only crossover seems to be some skills can be used by other classes, wouldnt know which, its in the "Skills & Actions" tab there is a slot called "Extra" where you can pick abilities from other classes youve unlocked. Ive none so far, think they are mainly in the lvl 30-40 brackets.

when did you pick marauder?and where?

when did you pick marauder?and where?

Marauders guild is in Limsa Lominsa. You can pick up any new classes after you complete your chosen class level 10 mission.
    Depending on your starting class (and as such, location) you might not have access to Limsa Lominsa yet. Continue doing the story quests and you will get a quest which opens air travel to both other starting areas.

• Advertisement

Noxin wrote: »
    Marauders guild is in Limsa Lominsa. You can pick up any new classes after you complete your chosen class level 10 mission.
    Depending on your starting class (and as such, location) you might not have access to Limsa Lominsa yet. Continue doing the story quests and you will get a quest which opens air travel to both other starting areas.

Not had as much time online as I'd have liked over the last few days. Got my THM to 18 last night (I think it was 18), and got the airship quest mentioned above. Landed in LL, but was getting late so returned to Uldah and logged out in my Inn room.

Torn over what to do now, really enjoying levelling the THM, but need to switch classes, which I'll probably do Friday / weekend. One thing I do regret doing is dumping all my starter gear - I will of course need it when I go back to level 1 for whatever job I do next.....

Found I could get onto Odin after about 5/10 minutes of spamming numpad 0, which wasn't too bad. I did find it slightly laggy at times, but not terrible, and I'm sure it will improve further.

There was a noticeable step up in quest difficulty (but not enough to stop me in my tracks) over the last few, with multiple mobs to deal with, crowd control necessary and so on. But its a nice progression, you feel like you're getting somewhere.

Really like to progressive nature of the guildleves or guldhests or whatever they are called. Did a few last night, including one where you have to drug a giant turtle..... rather amusing.

Looking forward to spending an inordinate amount of time playing at the weekend!!

Advertisement