Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back To My Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Today was retribution for Rotterdam.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

+1 to that. Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Brilliant day today, absolutely ate up the last few miles, On a break from the pub with the boarsies at the mo, could be a long night.

Short version of the race here

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54337335

I'll post the full one tomorrow.

I was just about to ask what you were doing away from the pub haha - enjoy tonight. Well deserved. Savage end to the year mara wise

Apologies in advance for the length of this one.

Leadup
    , Not exactly an ideal build up to the marathon this year. 2 disasters in Rotterdam and Cork as well as a bad foot injury after the Frank Duffy. Decided to do this race because i didnt want to miss out on the event, seeing as last year was such a great day for me. I had no speedwork done since the injury so all my training the last 2 months was geared towards a sensible 3'30 finish.

Race Day, Up around half 6 and forced down porridge. I could hear the merrion square announcements from my apartment. Great to live so close to one of the few races that start and finish in the city centre. Made the familiar walk to the start for the 4th year in a row in the freezing cold.

Met menoscemo and chinguetti (both targeting 3'30) and lined up beside then. Away we went to serious congestion at the several 90 degree corners. First mile was slow (8'20) but we kept the pacers in sight. Ran along the footpath on O'Connell st. to get a bit of racing room. Things improved somewhat on the North Circular Road but the water station was like a motorway pileup, everyone went for the first table and didnt particulary care who they ran in front of. Into the park and i have to admit i wasnt feeling it, legs felt a little heavy.

Out of the park and started feeling good, Pacers were bang on target. The Laurence road hill wasnt too bad and i settled into a rhythm from there on. Felt amazing after halfway, running away upsides Peckham (3'30 pacer), i felt like i should have ben wearing a balloon too it was that easy. Found myself pulling ahead of the pacers at Milltown and reckoned i had better take the next 2 mls handy or the roebuck road hill could really hurt. Those 2 mls were ok though and i decided to cut loose from the pacers at mile 21, its an ok run in from here anyway. Quickened to 7'40's and the balloons started to disappear, beautiful.

Cramp then threatened to engulf my calves as i felt impulses shooting through them, a sure sign cramp is on the way. At this stage a runner named John, who everyone seemed to know even though it wasnt on his tshirt came up to me and i could see he was fresh so i upped the pace to match his. I said "i feel like i've only just joined in, dyou wanna make a run for the finish now?" He agreed and off we went at just over 7 min pace. Cut through the pack like the ambulance did at mile 15. Not sure where exactly this energy came from but just kept speeding up. I run on these roads all the time and i knew i could sustain this drive. Got ahead of my new friend at the NAMA building and pushed on. A quick glance at the watch seemed to point to 3'27 ish. The last mile was great and felt super heading towards the finish, decided against a sprint finish as my legs probably would have exploded. Olympic style celebration as i crossed the line in 3'26'13. The pain of Rotterdam and Cork were forgotten, this was my day today. 5 marathons complete now.

Splits; 10km 00:50:50, Halfway 01:45:31, 30km 02:29:03, Finish Chip Time 03:26:13.

Pints afterwards with the boarsies, good craic as always and feeling it today but to hell with it. The foot wasnt a factor really and it's pain free now.

The Future, Where to now? Barcelona the obvious answer. I do need to rest the foot for at least a week, but i lose fitness quite fast so gotta find a happy medium. Waterford half is out, don't see the point. I want to improve over the winter and not stagnate, which would happen if i ran waterford. I feel like i need 2/3 months without races to get in some serious training without mini tapers, post race tiredness etc. and i have some big plans for 2011. Roll on 5 in a row next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done Brian, and great to see you overcome the two bad days to enjoy a day in the sun. I didn't know where to laugh or curse when you said you were on the bridle at 16 miles. I was starting to struggle at that stage so laughed as it was less energy.

I too saw the ballons disappear but from the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Great run brian. Very strong finish. You must of passed me at around 24 miles. Excellent running. Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Peckham

Congrats Brian. Delighted to have played a small part in your success, although you were right to push on ahead of us.

Tues, Weds, Thurs; Post race pain and tiredness, eating crap and drinking every night.

Fri; Job interview for London, seemed to go pretty well, time will tell.

Sat 30th Oct; First bit of exercise since Monday, 2hrs of cycling stop/start. Legs felt a little dead after.

Sun 31st Oct; Met menoscemo in the park for 10 mls slow. The first few miles were grand and felt good. After mile 6/7 the legs felf a little heavy, tight hamstrings, etc. Not the best of ideas to go so far but good to get back running nonetheless. 9.7 mls in 1'30'30 (9'24).

Weekly Mileage; 36 miles, satisfied with last Monday.

Yearly Mileage; 1229 miles.

Post DCM thoughts
    ; Been doing a lot of thinking about the way forward for me. Its plain and simple, i want to improve and get back to pb shape. I had an ok year but didnt get any faster than last year. I've been doing a lot of research about improvement, different techniques from different people. Frequency of runs seems like a big one, i only really do 4 runs a week, sometimes 5, and its not enough.

You're back down tomorrow arent you? If your up for a run tue, early on wed or thurs lemme know. Did my 1st double digit run of 2010 yesterdsay and got out for 6 today. Some rest week! Take tomorrow off and then go back out tue or wed

• Advertisement

ULstudent wrote: »
    You're back down tomorrow arent you? If your up for a run tue, early on wed or thurs lemme know. Did my 1st double digit run of 2010 yesterdsay and got out for 6 today. Some rest week! Take tomorrow off and then go back out tue or wed

First double digit run of the year in late October? god thats shocking but understandable given the injury. The future is the important thing now, cant change the past.

I'll more than likely head down tomorrow if not thursday for a week, i'll let you know either way.

First double digit run of the year in late October? god thats shocking but understandable given the injury. The future is the important thing now, cant change the past.

I'll more than likely head down tomorrow if not thursday for a week, i'll let you know either way.

yeah sure i was out from Jan - late May, didnt really start much running til june with some 3-5milers and sure come august all iv been doing was 6-9 mile runs. Was very paranoid - all in the head really. Still want to do more but im not gonna do the big mileage jumps. Next weekend il do 13 and build up a mile or 2 every weekend. Use xmas and new years to get in 20miler. Get a good few long runs in there. Well that's the plan anyway. Whether it materializes is another thing. :rolleyes:

If your down next saturday i have my new spin class in UL arena. If you feel up for it, could do that and a few miles after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

great report on your race.Are you happy you went with pacers?
    seems like you had lots left in the tank?
    was it a pb by much?

clubcard wrote: »
    great report on your race.Are you happy you went with pacers?
    seems like you had lots left in the tank?
    was it a pb by much?

Kind of happy i went with the pacers but cant help feeling i sold myself a little short. I've died twice already this year in marathons going at 3'15 pace and it ain't much fun. Just wanted to run one from start to finish. Had a full tank of petrol at mile 22 yeah, it shouldnt have felt that easy, gives me confidence going forward for 3'15 attempt in March and then 3 hrs down the line. No it wasnt a PB, 4 mins off last year. No speedwork done since early August though cause of injuries.
    If your down next saturday i have my new spin class in UL arena. If you feel up for it, could do that and a few miles after.

New spin class, ooh i'm intrigued, you had to take it to a bigger venue! yeah that sounds like a plan. I'll take it handier next time, i felt like i was powering the whole gym last time :D

Tues 2nd Nov, 5 mls this evening in 42'14 (8'27), felt handy enough the first half (out and back course in clontarf) but i noticed a monster tailwind behind me. Paid for it the second half, just tried to put the head down and forget about the wind, until i looked at my watch near the finish and saw 180bpm on the HRM :eek:, so much for an easy run!

30mins corework after, first time i've done it in a while. wanted to make the "i'm tired" excuse but not any more!

Weds 3rd Nov; 4 mls easy/recovery this evening, same time and place as always in 35'39 (8'55) Conditions were better, rain had stopped by the time i started, and felt good throughout. Left calf a little sore but no biggie.

Keeping an eye on my recovery between now and Monday with a view to the Barcelona/LA marathon double next March 6th/20th. I don't feel like i've recovered fully from the DCM yet.

Thurs 4th Nov, 5 mls in 39'42 (7'56). Good to do a little faster running for the first time since the marathon. Horrific conditions out there. Happy to finish. Sandbags are being put in place along by the clontarf waterfront, good weather on the way i'm sure :rolleyes:

Sat 6th Nov; Met ULstudent out in UL for 5 mls in 38'45 (7'45). Faster run than usual but felt good after the rest day. Lucky to avoid the rain.

I stayed on for the hour today anyway. Wondering why i was beginning to feel tired, sure i hadnt eaten. I was in such a rush to get out to teach the class that i had a latte. Nice little rain shower after i left.

I stayed on for the hour today anyway. Wondering why i was beginning to feel tired, sure i hadnt eaten. I was in such a rush to get out to teach the class that i had a latte. Nice little rain shower after i left.

I thought you would get caught in the rain alright, pissed down on my way home.

Sun 7th November
    , 4 mls easy in 33'40 (8'25), cut the run short to get home in time for the NYCM start. Felt really good today.

Week Total, 23 miles and 5 runs, happy to get more runs in than usual and seemed to be recovered from Dublin now. Plan to do 6 runs next week by adding another short easy run and see how it goes.

Yearly Mileage, 1252 miles.

• Advertisement

Mon 8th Nov, 5 mls fast in 36'53 (7'23), not quite tempo effort but not far off. Felt very good from outset so ploughed on after a 7'40 first mile. Running at 7'18 miling from there on opened my eyes to whats required for a 3'10 BQ marathon. Ones things for sure, there's quite a significant difference between 8 min miling and 7'20. Plan is for 3'15 in Barca. I'm considering doing the half in waterford as a marathon pace run at 3'15 (7'30) pace. Going flat out for the jingle bells race the week before.

Tues 9th Nov, 2mls (yes 2 mls) very easy in 17'59 (9'00) Aiming for 6 runs this week for the first time and want to build up to it slowly. Felt a little tired from yesterday and good recovery run. Nice day for it in the sun.

30 mins core later on. It felt easier than the last day but still quite tough, it always is! Gonna do this at least 2 times a week for the forseeable future.

Weds 10th Nov, 6 mls this evening in 48'03 (8'01) last mile 7'30. Did 5 days of running in a row for the first time and it wasnt too bad. RHR was 41 this morning, lowest ever for me.

Attempted to do strength training later on and my hamstrings started to cramp up on the first exercise and finished it there and then. A little tender now but nothing to worry about, the body trying to tell me something perhaps. Gonna take a rest day tomorrow before intervals on Friday back in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

do you fancy a group run on saturday morning?

menoscemo wrote: »
    do you fancy a group run on saturday morning?

That sounds good, if i can get out of bed yeah!

Fri 12th Nov, 4 mls easy in 35'50 (8'58), cold and windy out there. Hamstings/adductors still quite sore from the other night but didnt stop me from running. Decided against doing intervals just in case.

Sat 13th Nov, Met up with Menoscemo, Rainbow Kirby and Aimman for 10 miles this morning in the phoenix park. Did 10.5 mls in 1'44'25 (9'54). A little slow but i was in no rsh to speed up and thats what i wanted for this week in order to build up slowly. Saw a lot of the marathon cool down race, it looked like a tough cookie, windy and mucky in parts. Lovely day and enjoyed the run.

Off to the aviva for the rugby now and the rte studios later for the saturday night show. Free tickets for both. :)

Sun 14th Nov, 4.5mls easy this evening in 39'40 (8'48). Very cold but no wind out in clontarf. Fairly hungover from last nights pints. Apparently i was all over the tv last night on the saturday night show, not sure if i want to watch it back! Won a prize of a hotel stay in killiney for 2 though, thats my parents xmas pressie sorted!

Week Total, 32 miles and 6 runs, thats what i set out for. Took it handy for most of them to build up slowly. Hope to do the same this week, but get in a speed session too, as well as strides at the end of the runs.

Yearly Mileage, 1284 Miles

Mon 15th Nov, Track session in UCD. Started with 1 ml w/u at 9 min miling then;

20 mins plyometrics; High knees, heel flicks, alternate leg skips, bounding and strides. 3 sets of each. This is the missing link for me i believe. I used to do these all the time from u15 all the way up to 3 years ago when i stopped doing them and my times went sh*te afterwards. Coincidence?

Then came the 10 x 400m with 1min 50 secs walk recovery. Did these in the nike racing shoes Paula Radcliffe broke the marathon WR in and i ran 63 for 10 miles in. I haven't ran in these in 2/3 years but they're as fast as ever. Times were; 82, 81, 81, 81, 81, 80, 81, 81, 82, 77. Fantastic consistency, opened up for the last one. HR maxed at 193. I plan on doing this session for the next 2 mondays but reduce the recovery by 10 secs every week in the lead up to the Jingle Bells 5k.

Finished with 1 ml w/d in 9'30 ish. 4.5 mls total.

• Advertisement

Tues 16th Nov, 3.5mls recovery in 32'08 (9'11). Took it very slow and easy. Strong east wind to fight the first half and sailed home then. Very sore today after yesterdays plyometrics session but the run was fine. Thats 5 days in a row again, gonna go for 6 tomorrow.

Advertisement