Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back To My Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I hope you and boards have been very happy together.

I love my boards. We connect on a level that iv never experienced before. Creepy? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

ULstudent wrote: »
    I hope you and boards have been very happy together.

I love my boards. We connect on a level that iv never experienced before. Creepy? Yes.

I know what you mean yeah. Good to talk to like minded people, i'm surrounded mostly by elites and those who couldnt care less about running, so good to get a happy medium.

On another note, the wheels are in motion for me to emigrate to London to work as a civil engineer. it won't be until November at the earliest, convieniently after the DCM. Nothing certain yet but its a rock solid contact. Let the brain drain continue. :rolleyes:

Thurs 23rd Sept, Met Monoscemo for his p&d 18 miles with 14 at pmp session in the park tonight. Hit all the target splits for a finish of 2'28'15 (8'15). He wasnt too happy when i led him down one of the grass trails on the 2mile warm up part which is used by "the elites" which led to messing up his white lunar glides, awww! Felt good once i hit the 8 min miling, which in truth is my normal training pace anyway so no big deal. The miles flew by, in the lashing rain at times. A little dodgy down chesterfield in the dark with the deer right beside us. Toughest part was the 2 ml warm down. Still more in the tank. Good run, roll on DCM.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

On another note, the wheels are in motion for me to emigrate to London to work as a civil engineer. it won't be until November at the earliest, convieniently after the DCM. Nothing certain yet but its a rock solid contact. Let the brain drain continue. :rolleyes:
    Better than being on the dole here though...

Better than being on the dole here though...

Surely yeah, i have got way too comfortable on the dole, way too many hobbies and interests, i'm sort of institutionalised on it a bit as they say in the shawshank redemption, but its a terrible waste of a masters degree and the party's over soon.

• Advertisement

Brilliant stuff on jeremy kyle this morning. Jeremy kyle grills a guy on what he does all day he says "i run marathons". he also says "the only people complaining about the unemployed are workers and thats because they're jealous" jeremy Kyle shouts back at him "the government is paying you 15,000 a year to run marathons" Classic. How could somebody have such an attitude :p

Sat 25th Sept, woke up today with a bit of a cold (probably from thurs night) and a hangover (probably from the 6 pints i had last night), a winning combination. Went for 4 miles in 33'53 (8'28) out in an arctic clontarf. I can't believe how cold it is. I better get used to it. Felt good, surprisingly.

I like the cold - especially the cold crisp winter evening type cold. It doesn't bode well with rain or wind though. But without those - perfect!

I like the cold - especially the cold crisp winter evening type cold. It doesn't bode well with rain or wind though. But without those - perfect!

Yeah the big freeze last year was actually the most enjoyable running conditions i've ever had, the bank and pitches in UL were grand. I remember running on xmas eve with 50 yeards of visibility, surreal experience. Its when you're not expecting it thats the problem.

Sun 26th Sept, 6mls nice and fast after 1 mile trying to get my garmin to work. Down from my flat towards RDS and back by Sandymount and ringsend park. Did the 6 miles in 42'55 (7'08). Didnt intend running that fast but just kept going faster, turned into a tempo run by the end of it i suppose. Maybe because i was reading my running diary from 2006 when all my runs were this fast (those were the days)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/50573426

Weekly Mileage; 39 miles and 5 runs, much better. Well positioned to run 3'30 in Dublin without dying.

Year to Date Mileage; 1085 miles. The most i ever did was 1108 back in 2007 so i'm well on track to smash that record, about the only record i'll smash this year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Mon 27th Sept; 4 mls easy in 34'26 (8'37) up to and around shelbourne park in Limerick. Av HR 151, nice and low after yesterdays fast run. Felt surprisingly good.

Got a text off the hospital today that my MRI is scheduled for thursday morning, 5 weeks after i requested it. I've never heard of anything so ridiculous, i might not cancel just to p!ss them off. Handy if i pick up an injury tomorrow or weds though!

Let me know if yer heading out for a run again in Limerick, im about 5min from shelbourne - the bad part of the tracks ;)

Going for a progression run tomorrow, 6 mls 2 @ 8'20, 2 @7'40 and 2 @ 7'00 either in UL at 11 ish or the country club later in the day if that sounds good.

Going for a progression run tomorrow, 6 mls 2 @ 8'20, 2 @7'40 and 2 @ 7'00 either in UL at 11 ish or the country club later in the day if that sounds good.

this morning is out for me, just back from a morning spin class in UL but il PM you on my no. there and you can text me the next time yer heading out

Tues 28th Sept, Felt a little dead and took a rest day, i don't do 4 days in a row very often and didnt fancy it today with the rain.

Weds 29th Sept, Met ULstudent for one of his spinning classes at his gym. I enjoyed it and it was a good workout, tough at times.

Thurs 30th Sept, Ran up to Thomond Pk. to meet ULstudent again, this time for a run. 7 miles in 55'45 (7'58). No ill effects from yesterday. We got a bit of abuse from the future scumbags on their way home from school, funny more than anything else. 8 mls total.

We got a bit of abuse from the future scumbags on their way home from school, funny more than anything else. 8 mls total.

Ahhh tomorrows bright future :D

It was a good thing i left you when i did, had to make a dash for the toilets - just made it. Not that you needed to know that. Just thought i would share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey Brian are you back in Dublin this weekend? There is a group of us heading out for 20 on saturday morning if you fancy it...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey Brian are you back in Dublin this weekend? There is a group of us heading out for 20 on saturday morning if you fancy it...

Yeah back in Dublin now, not sure about doing 20 on saturday. 9am at knockmaroon gate sounds like a death sentence, going to the aviva later that evening and i'll be half asleep if i do. I'll join ye for the last 12 and we can do the last 5 at pmp if that sounds like a plan. Any idea what route ye're taking? or whereabouts you'll be after 8 mls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sounds good.
    We should be heading up the chesterfield Av from the zoo between mile 7.5 and 8.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sounds good.
    We should be heading up the chesterfield Av from the zoo between mile 7.5 and 8.

Cheers yeah i just saw the routes on the 4:30 thread. I should have no trouble finding ye so.

• Advertisement

TVs kaput so this morning that meant no dr.phil, no doctors and no jeremy kyle. Iv settled for watching the inbetweeners on channel 4 on demand.

TVs kaput so this morning that meant no dr.phil, no doctors and no jeremy kyle. Iv settled for watching the inbetweeners on channel 4 on demand.

Ouch, i must give you a loan of my external hard drive sometime, in 5 hard drives i have 5500GB (a lot i know) of tv shows, films, sport, etc.

Sat 2nd Oct, Met up with boardsies from the 4:30 thread and menoscemo halfway through their 20 miler and did the last 9 with them, then did 3 mls then in 7'45 ish and an easy one to finish. Pace was slow early on and felt like pressing on but i hadnt intended in running this one fast. 13 mls total in 2'00'20 (9'15) some miles were close to 10 mins :eek: Half tempted to do another 7 at the end to get the 20 miler out of the way but saw sense, plan is for 20 on Tuesday. Good run anyway and probably finished for the week now as i'll be in tipp all day tomorrow at the races. Going to the aviva to hopefully watch munster finally beat leinster later on.

Week Total; 25 mls, 3 runs and the spinning class which was tough.

Year to date mileage; 1110 mls, a new best for me.

I stll haven't entered DCM, not sure exactly what i'm waiting for. My parents said they'd pay for it for my 26th birthday on Monday (conveniently the closing date) so i'll take them up on that.

Didnt go to tipp today after all so snuck in a quick recovery run in clontarf. 4mls in 35'42 (8'56) nice and slow. 29 mls for the week in the end. Gonna stop fcking around and enter the DCM later tonight at long last.

Well today was one disaster after another. Plan was for 20 miles out in UL, 16 mls at 9 min miling then last 4 at pmp (8'00). Headed off as normal first 6 mls @ 9 min pace, bang on target, then just as the garmin hit 6 mls the screen froze and is still frozen now 3 hrs later. Not responding to charging or pressing any of the buttons, it'll die on its own in a week or so. After that i decided i'd do the same route as my 20 milers pre rotterdam and cork, which was my route from the start anyway. Hey presto it starts raining for the next 4 mls, after 10 mls the legs started feeling real heavy, just like in rotterdam and they were screaming out for me to stop, i managed 2 more before i called it a day. 3 mls from home and one hour before my mother was due to pick me up. I walked a mile into town shivering cold, found a payphone and rang my mother, who took 15 mins to arrive due to the rush hour traffic. My right IT band was a little sore in the car just to seal the deal.

As Fernando torres said on sunday "its difficult to have a positive outlook" about todays run. I did manage 12 mls at around 9 min pace which counts as a medium long run, but what happens if the same thing occurs in the DCM, just like it did in rotterdam and cork. P!ssed off about the garmin too. Its days like these which make the good days look better.

I entered the marathon yesterday as well as the simon 5 mile on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

, then just as the garmin hit 6 mls the screen froze and is still frozen now 3 hrs later.

If it is a 205/305 try holding power/mode/reset down together for 5-6 seconds. May take a couple of tries. This happens me every few months.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    If it is a 205/305 try holding power/mode/reset down together for 5-6 seconds. May take a couple of tries. This happens me every few months.

Unfortunately its a 110, couldnt find any reset button. I'll fiddle about with combinations of those buttons and see if it works, cheers.

I think it might be time to look at the finer things - did you eat something substantial after getting out of bed before the run? A nutrition strategy might be a good idea. I know you said there isnt anything really different that your doing now from before but the body changes and maybe if you start looking at little details that can be looked at, you might improve.

We all have **** runs - it was just one of those days. Stretch and foam roll the IT band, cross train the next day and it will be grand. DO NOT let it knock confidence for Dublin and don't let rotterdam replay through the head. Wipe the slate down, move on and focus on the next 3 weeks. You have the fitness, don't put yourself under the numbers game and just enjoy it.

I think it might be time to look at the finer things - did you eat something substantial after getting out of bed before the run? A nutrition strategy might be a good idea. I know you said there isnt anything really different that your doing now from before but the body changes and maybe if you start looking at little details that can be looked at, you might improve.

We all have **** runs - it was just one of those days. Stretch and foam roll the IT band, cross train the next day and it will be grand. DO NOT let it knock confidence for Dublin and don't let rotterdam replay through the head. Wipe the slate down, move on and focus on the next 3 weeks. You have the fitness, don't put yourself under the numbers game and just enjoy it.

Yeah i had the usual pre LSR food, big bowl of porridge etc. Funny you should mention the improvement thing, i made a list of 6 things that i need to do to improve after Dublin. Not finalised yet but i will put it up on here when its ready. I'm not too worried about my Dublin performance, its far from a goal race. 3'30 is not exactly a tough goal for me and i can always use the ready made lack of training excuse if it goes belly up. barcelona and the track season beyond it are my real goals now.

• Advertisement

Just got your message. Iv no credit and vodafone.ie won't let me sign in. Im gonna head to the park around half one and stay for 30min. Im not really feeling the best stomach wise and just want to get out for a slow short run. Gotta be fresh for all those 'yummy mummies' at my class tonight

Advertisement