Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back To My Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Weds 17th Nov, 8.5 mls in 69'54 (8'14) up to and around annes park in Raheny and back. Cold and breezy and quite happy to finish. never felt good on the run. 6 runs in a row not easy and happy to get it done at long last. Gauranteed rest day tomorrow. I'm over the 1300 mile mark for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

If you're around Sunday im going out for 13/14 miles with a few PMP thrown in for the craic if your around? That cardio monster might be going too i was telling you about.

I finish work at 2.30 so it'd be anytime after

ULstudent wrote: »
    If you're around Sunday im going out for 13/14 miles with a few PMP thrown in for the craic if your around? That cardio monster might be going too i was telling you about.

I finish work at 2.30 so it'd be anytime after

Still up i Dublin at the mo, probably be middle of next week before i'm down, next weekend definitely if your up for that.

Fri 19th Nov, 4 mls easy in 34'35 (8'39) Sat around all day watching the sun split the rocks, then headed out when it started raining :rolleyes:

I may do a 5k tempo run tomorrow, havent done much fast stuff recently and time to stop hiding behind easy and recovery runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I may do a 5k tempo run tomorrow, havent done much fast stuff recently and time to stop hiding behind easy and recovery runs.

So, we'll see you tomorrow? ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    So, we'll see you tomorrow? ;)

Looks like it yeah, i'm a big fan of the 2pm start. early mornings are torture :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Good to meet you today, definitely wouldn't of got near what i did without you to chase, thanks.

The racing was a good watch with the big 2 winning, and new zealand easily covered the handicap which made me a few quid.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Good to meet you today, definitely wouldn't of got near what i did without you to chase, thanks.

The racing was a good watch with the big 2 winning, and new zealand easily covered the handicap which made me a few quid.

Sorry i didnt have a few bets today, the 3 big certs won, master, imperious (if you know your horse racing you will get that) and the all blacks on the handicap. I'll look forward to our rematch at the jingle bells. 1.7 me 2.4 you on betfair so i've heard.

Sorry i didnt have a few bets today, the 3 big certs won, master, imperious (if you know your horse racing you will get that) and the all blacks on the handicap. I'll look forward to our rematch at the jingle bells. 1.7 me 2.4 you on betfair so i've heard.
    How much can i get on you?i'm sure i owe you a fee quid in fees for today.Enjoy navan tomorrow.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    How much can i get on you?i'm sure i owe you a fee quid in fees for today.Enjoy navan tomorrow.

Price cut to 1.5 given your interest :D Standard sunday for me tomorrow, lose my bollox atr, then go running, then watch katie w singing for survival! Then watch NFL on ch4. Life is tough!

Price cut to 1.5 given your interest :D Standard sunday for me tomorrow, lose my bollox atr, then go running, then watch katie w singing for survival! Then watch NFL on ch4. Life is tough!
    Ha ha pretty similar to mine altho i'm not overly bothered with the horses anymore. just got into the nfl recently myself.

• Advertisement

Sat 21st Nov, Went out ot maynooth yesterday with the intention of doing a tempo run, something around 7 min miling but once i got there i said i may as well give it a lash. I headed out in front at the start, but was soon headed by aero2k and kennyb3. We left aero go, he's too fast for us anyway. It soon became a match race between myself and kenny, with me doing all most of the donkey work. first lap (1 mile) was 6 mins flat, good pacing (thank you garmin) and 2nd lap was 6'02, it started to burn here and kenny pushed on ahead of me. I said i'd leave him go at first but he didnt pull away. I got back ahead but surged ahead this time to get a 10/15 meter lead on him which i held to the finish. Quite relieved to finish, in 18'47 and 3rd mile in 6'06. happy enough with the time which is a PB, first PB since DCM 09. Good to do a race where i'm actually in contention for the places. Its one thing i miss about track racing. Good feed had after (thanks to theroadrunner and woddle) along with a good feed of pints of course. 1 ml w/u and w/d. 5 mls total.

I feel i could have gone faster if i wore my racing flats and if i had prepared better (in the pub all week). But i'm clearly heading in the right direction now after the injury.

Sun 21st Nov, 4 mls recovery in 35'58 (9'00) all on grass. Felt fine today (bar the hangover) which is unusual given that i'm normally baked the day after a race.

Weekly Mileage, 29 miles and 6 runs. Great session Monday and excellent stuff for a PB (albeit a soft one) yesterday in maynooth. Lack of a long run the only downside.

Yearly mileage, 1313 mls

when did ya say you were around again?
    Friday evening im looking to get out for about 90min or sunday afternoon? Im working 7.30-2.30 but a long run after to shake off the previous nights xmas party

when did ya say you were around again?
    Friday evening im looking to get out for about 90min or sunday afternoon? Im working 7.30-2.30 but a long run after to shake off the previous nights xmas party

Probably down wednesday but i change my mind all the time. I was thinking 5 mile tempo on Friday, short one Sat and long Sunday so that would be best for me. Bit of an undertaking after an Xmas party though?

Mon 23rd Nov, 5 mls tonight in 44'04 (8'49) Felt crap throughout and probably should have cut it short but the point to point route i run didnt allow that so just plodded on.

2 job offers today, one in Reading the other in Toronto, both in engineering. Decisions decisions decisions! Nothing here for me career wise in Ireland by the looks of it. My 2yr dole anniversary is looming very large.

Toronto is a great city but its a bit out there, and Reading to be honest i would only visit for a Munster Heineken Cup away game, which has happened already this season.

Dude - TORONTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ What he said.

Minus 25 in the winter, don't fancy that. It is the best city i have ever visited though and my aunt lives there. Reading leaves me pretty close to Ireland and better for sport, etc. Not mad about either option at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Stick to the dole IMO

only joking Toronto all the way

Toronto aint gonna happen, way too difficult to get home for anything. I'd miss all the sport on too and i'm a sport addict. Got a phonecall again this morning prodding me for a decision on Reading, he wants me to start asap. Possibly before the jingle bells 5k weekend. A lot of people have put themselves out for me on this one and i can forget about getting work with them in the future if i say no now. I reckon i'm 60/40 on going.

I would be home every month to sign on of course ;)

• Advertisement

If you don't go, ill ****ing go! (even though im sans engeneering degree!!)

You will be ultimatly shooting yourself in the foot if people have gone out for you. People do not forget and you could damage any future job prospects. You won't be on the dole forever and surely you would want oyur degree to go to good use considering there is nothing in Ireland for the next 5 years really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

You should never feel pressurised into taking a job for the fear of letting people down, it's your life and nobody elses, so if you want the job you take it, if you don't don't.

Woddle wrote: »
    You should never feel pressurised into taking a job for the fear of letting people down, it's your life and nobody elses, so if you want the job you take it, if you don't don't.

On second thoughts - that's good advice. Id hate to feel like i had to take a job that i didn't want.

Nevermind my first post!

Congrats Brian, i'd be a reading man myself. home to see family and friends whenever you want, which are the most important things in life. Toronto sounds awesome because its far away, a big city etc etc. A month and it will be like anywhere else in the world - work during the day, run after work, drink the weekend.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

PS Newbury racecourse not too far from reading - racing in canada is s'hite:D (this shouldnt be a consideration only playing)

^ I did notice newbury and ascot were quite close alright, and yes it is part of my considerations.

Tues 23rd Nov, Met Aimman, Meno and RK tonight in UCD for 10 x 400m track session. After a 110 second recovery last week i went for 100 secs this week (and so did they as a result :D). It all felt easier this week, maybe because i didnt do the plyometrics this time round.

Times were 81, 80, 79, 79, 80, 79, 79, 80, 79, 71. Last rep was a bit stupid i know, shot off and i was wading through treacle the last 100m. The rest of the session was quite good though, a shade faster than last week but with less recovery. 1.4 mls w/u and 1 ml w/d for 5 mls total. Well slightly short of 5 mls but i certainly wasnt running up to the car park to make up the extra .09 of a mile like an obsessed boardsie who shall remain nameless. ;)

To be honest it was great to get a break from you know what, it was the first time all day i went 5 seconds without thinking about it. Its reading or nothing. Not a simple choice believe me and its wrecking my head. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you want it, go for it. You've nothing to lose by giving it a shot. If you don't like it or get homesick you can leave. Once you're in a job and have a bit of experience etc it'll be easier to move on and get a better one. You can easily get home every other weekend from Reading.

You'll be getting there a bit late for Reading -v- Leeds though. :pac:

Also, I've always wanted to run the Reading half marathon so I can finish on the track in the stadium and pretend I'm at the Olympics. You can put me up while I'm there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

If you want it, go for it. You've nothing to lose by giving it a shot. If you don't like it or get homesick you can leave. Once you're in a job and have a bit of experience etc it'll be easier to move on and get a better one. You can easily get home every other weekend from Reading.

You'll be getting there a bit late for Reading -v- Leeds though. :pac:

Also, I've always wanted to run the Reading half marathon so I can finish on the track in the stadium and pretend I'm at the Olympics. You can put me up while I'm there. :D

What she said. Its always easier to get a job when you have one.
    Besides once you actually start working you will enjoy it. Make new friends etc.
    Reading is only a short hop across the water and its very close to London. Much better than Toronto.
    On the downside you will have to get out of bed before 9am most days.:eek:

Weds 24th Nov, 3.5 mls recovery in 32'20 (9'20) very slow but didnt care, i won't get to run out in clontarf that much more so just enjoyed it. Which leads me on to.....

Accepted the job in Reading, starting the 6th Dec. It was a horrible decision to make but it had to be done. Heading over with my bro next week to find accommodation, plan is to come back for the Jingle Bells 5k and head back Sunday. Would like to come back for the Waterford half too but that might be pushing it. Xmas not too far away anyway. Thanks everyone for their input, it made a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Weds 24th Nov, 3.5 mls recovery in 32'20 (9'20) very slow but didnt care, i won't get to run out in clontarf that much more so just enjoyed it. Which leads me on to.....

Accepted the job in Reading, starting the 6th Dec. It was a horrible decision to make but it had to be done. Heading over with my bro next week to find accommodation, plan is to come back for the Jingle Bells 5k and head back Sunday. Would like to come back for the Waterford half too but that might be pushing it. Xmas not too far away anyway. Thanks everyone for their input, it made a difference.

Well its about time you started working. Mind you I didn't start until I was 27 myself.
    Congratulations.

Advertisement