Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back To My Best

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Weds 24th Nov, 3.5 mls recovery in 32'20 (9'20) very slow but didnt care, i won't get to run out in clontarf that much more so just enjoyed it. Which leads me on to.....

Accepted the job in Reading, starting the 6th Dec. It was a horrible decision to make but it had to be done. Heading over with my bro next week to find accommodation, plan is to come back for the Jingle Bells 5k and head back Sunday. Would like to come back for the Waterford half too but that might be pushing it. Xmas not too far away anyway. Thanks everyone for their input, it made a difference.
    Best of luck with the move and the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Congrats man, best of luck with the move. Good to see you'll be back for the beers jingle bells 5k.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congrats and good luck. Knew you wouldn't miss the xmas beers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the job. fair play.:D Might indulge in the xmas beers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Congrats on the job. Forget waterford, now you can start training for the Reading half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

RayCun wrote: »
    Congrats on the job. Forget waterford, now you can start training for the Reading half.

Cheers, its only 2 weeks after Barca though, which i'm definitely doing. Not sure i'm ready to forget about the races here quite yet. Robinph seemed to travel over for the race series quite easily this year so i'll be doing the same.

RayCun wrote: »

Seems it's full already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Great stuff on the job! It'll probably take a bit of time to settle into it but I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I've heard good things about reading and it's only about 30-40 minutes to Paddington so great for London. Plus you'll have no excuse not to get your 5k time down, and for free - really wish we had something similar over here...

I should be around for Jingle Bells, but if not I might catch you in the airport that Sunday.

xebec wrote: »
    Plus you'll have no excuse not to get your 5k time down, and for free - really wish we had something similar over here...

That is absolutely class. No more need for speedwork, just do that race every saturday morning!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    That is absolutely class. No more need for speedwork, just do that race every saturday morning!!

Assuming the link is for park run. They do it up in Belfast now aswell. Went to a few in Leeds before. They seem like good fun too.

• Advertisement

Fri 26th Nov, 7 mls with 5 ml tempo around the roads of Limerick mostly over the 2 mile lap near my old school. 9'20 w/u mile then 6'52, 6'50, 6'43, 6'45, 6'45. I was flying the whole way feeling good. I reckon i could have done another 5mls at this pace. All my best tempo runs are done on a friday night, not sure why there always seems to be still conditions then. 1 ml w/d then in 9'10. I'm in the best shape i've been in since the 1'28 half last year, possibly even better shape.

A few complications going back for the jingle bells, getting pricey tbh :(, waterford half more realistic now, which would be a PB attempt if i get to it. I've been more than a bit apprehensive about the whole emigration thing the last 2 days if i'm honest, sometimes questioning my decision.

A few complications going back for the jingle bells, getting pricey tbh :(, waterford half more realistic now, which would be a PB attempt if i get to it. I've been more than a bit apprehensive about the whole emigration thing the last 2 days if i'm honest, sometimes questioning my decision.

Woah! You can't challenge me to a drinking competition then not come to the xmas beers. :eek:

Feeling apprehensive is perfectly normal, you've be feeling like that starting a new job in Dublin never mind shifting your whole life to another country for a job. You'll be fine once you get settled in, bet moving to Dublin for college wasn't easy either.

If all else fails, you can track down Ian Harte and tell him that I love him.

If all else fails, you can track down Ian Harte and tell him that I love him.

:eek:
    You'll be fine Brian. The worst part is settling in, finding a place to live etc. Take your time and get something you like, once your working you'll get into a routine and start to get to know loads of people.

:eek:

The love of my life :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I agree with RQ and meno - we're not really built as creatures of change, so such a big change will be a shock to the system. Once you get into a routine over there, you should feel grand and once you settle in you will be flying it and if not, well at least you know ya tried.

Cheers guys, the best way is to just approach it as if i'm giving it a lash. What will be will be. I know what life will be like if i stay, if i never try i will never know. Moving to Dublin wasn't easy alright but it turned out to be the best decision i ever made. My running should be kept up there no problem. Reading road runners athletic club looks just perfect for me.

Sat 27th Nov, 3.5 mls recovery in 32 mins (9'20) very slow and easy. Left hamstring a little sore but no biggie. LSR tomorrow.

Sun 28th Nov, 8 mls steady in 63'45 (7'58) Felt good again today. Headed out after the rugby as somebody didnt show up for the planned LSR rolleyes.gif. Small bit of snow on the footpaths but nothing major and no barrier to running. We escaped the worst of the weather in Limerick thankfully.

Week Total, 32 miles and 6 runs, 2 very good speed sessions. Good week, maybe the mileage needs to increase. I will remember this week for one thing only though, thats the new job in Reading. Remember in a good way hopefully.

Yearly Total, 1345 miles, 1500 now quite realistic.

Mon 29th Nov, 4 mls very easy phoenix park in 36 mins (9'00) (got off the train from Limerick and ran straight away from there). Lovely run, never seen the park covered in snow before, really enjoyable. Heres a photo from my mobile heading up chesterfield.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/bdennehy/29112010276.jpg

Right over in England now. Job is in NW London in the head office instead of Reading which i'm happier with i suppose. Main reason for the switch was the fact that i have no driving licence. Staying in my cousins now and flathunting, which is a bit of a mare. Leaves little time for running. Headed to Reading for 3 days then London, had the bro with me until last night, flying solo from here :(. I have 2 weeks off for xmas which is just over 2 weeks away so it should be ok till then. Dontmiss the family quite yet, it still feels like a bit of a holiday. Great time to start the job i suppose with xmas being so close. First day at work today, didnt do much, happy with that :D 3 runs to report on since the snowy run last Monday in the park.

Tues 30th Nov, 5 x 800m on the treadmill across the road from my (now former) flat in Dublin with 3 mins in between. 5mins w/u and 5mins w/d at 12kmph, reps were at 16.1kmph. 5 mls total, ok session, good to avoid the sludge outside. Left my flat in Dublin then after 7 years and 3 months :eek:. Good times (mostly) but it had to end eventually.

Fri 3rd Dec, 5 mls Reading in 40 mins (8'00), headed up the Oxford Road 2.5mls and back, it was just getting dark, and the paths were icy in parts. Very very cold.

Sun 5th Dec, 5mls in London in 39mins (7'48) From West Hampstead to Marleybone Road via Abbey Road (Beatles Place), saw Lords too. Interesting run. Felt great, feels like the body is tapering for something. Work exhaustion i'll bet.

Week Total, 19miles and 4 runs. Poor week but expected, this week will be worse.

Yearly Mileage, 1364 Miles.

Weds 8th Dec, 7.5 mls in 57'30 with the first 5 mls at around 7 min pace, garmin takes ages to get a signal over here. Went from West Hampstead to Marylenbone again but this time ploughed on, down edgeware road at rush hour doing 7 min miling, probably should have got knocked down but got away with it. Hit Hyde Park and ran down to Speakers Corner (dimly lit) and the Winter Wonderland down there, then came back more or less the same way. Eased off the last 2 mls. Good run i suppose if a bit crazy. Its all about damage limitation at the mo as i find a place and settle into the job so i'm making the runs count when i can do them. Waterford half middle of Jan could be a runner now, but you never know with the weather. Quite happy i didnt. As i said i'm off from the 22nd to the 6th Jan for xmas when i'm heading home, so i should get the wheels back on the bike then.

• Advertisement

Fri 10th December, 5 mls in 41'23 (8'16). Quite tired from work, felt drained but got through it. Conditions are great here in London for running. In fact i've avoided the snow and ice completely, it didnt hit Limerick until i left, and i managed to come to one of the few spots in the UK that wasnt affected, bar the one run in the phoenix park before i left. Finally found a nice place in Holloway near the Emirates and work after countless hours viewing overpriced sh*tholes. Close to Hampstead Heath too which was important. More than a little p*ssed off i missed the Munster game yesterday, especially as i had tickets for it. :(

Week Total, 12.5 mls over 2 runs, what can i say but shocking, but what can i do. No excuses from here on in. I'll call it a rest week. Almost certainly doing the rescheduled waterford half and either Dungarvan or Raheny.

Yearly Mileage, 1376.5mls. Fat chance of 1500 at this stage.

You can join us for drinks at the Leeds - Arsenal game seen as you're near the Emirates. :pac:

You can join us for drinks at the Leeds - Arsenal game seen as you're near the Emirates. :pac:

Aye surely i can make it to that. Mallow 10 that weekend is off the horizon for me now after the rescheduling of the waterford half.

Mon 13th Dec, 5 mls in 39'40 (7'56), exploring the locality which included running past the impressive Emirates Stadium and the not so impressive Holloway Prison. Still fatigued though, even though the run felt easy, it would after 3 days off though. I can start running properly again now and stop feeling sorry for myself/overwhelmed and just get on with it. Might leave it till the new year before joining Serpentine AC. The sub 41 min 10k group looks ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

How are you settling in now?

You doing the 26th?

ULstudent wrote: »
    How are you settling in now?

You doing the 26th?

Grand yeah, the job is a doddle for now, gonna get busier in the new year. Deffo doing the 26th, how could i not do a race on my doorstep, a long tempo run at 6'45 pace i suppose (which would actually be faster than my Frank Duffy run this year) Although the cratloe course is hilly and slightly short. Just hope i'm not stuck in Bristol airport on christmas eve due to snow :eek:

Tues 14th Dec, 4 mls easy in 34'30 (8'38) Ended running up a b*tch of a hill near highgate, i know where to go for hill reps now at least.

Weds 15th Dec, 10 mls with 6 mls at tempo pace. 2 mls w/u in 9'10 or thereabouts, then the tempo miles were; 6'48, 6'45, 6'45, 6'44, 6'41, 6'45. Didnt feel as rediculously easy as the one i did in Limerick before heading over here but it felt ok. I definitely could have done 4 more at that pace. 2 mls w/d at 9'00 pace, total 10 mls in 77'18 (7'44) mostly around a loop of Camden Road with wide footpaths i found. I haven't lost too much fitness starting work by the looks of it. 67'30 goal for Stephens Day 10 miler, then 1'28'30 will do nicely in Waterford.

p.s. entered barca today, gotta rebook flights from London, ah well. Might do friday to Monday now instead.

p.s. entered barca today, gotta rebook flights from London, ah well. Might do friday to Monday now instead.

Nice one. Same as me. As long as you're about for pints on sunday evening!!

Nice one. Same as me. As long as you're about for pints on sunday evening!!

Yeah of course, around for pints on the friday too f*ck it, Barca game on the saturday night. Its coming up a bit soon to be going all out for it so might just do it for the craic and have a good weekend and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Hey Brian,

Only catching up on this now, well done on the job and the move and best of luck with Barca!

• Advertisement

Thurs 16th Dec, 4 mls recovery in 35'52 (8'58), felt quite dead all day at work and had to get stuff in town after (Oxford Street was manic) so i didnt get out till just before 9pm. Very cold and the sleet was coming down. Big freeze part 2 on the way this weekend. I'm quite tempted to do the 5k parkrun race in Finsbury Park Saturday morning, its only a mile from me, free entry every week. 9am start wouldn't appeal to me though :pac:

Advertisement