Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Hits 4FM Thread

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Enda Murphy

They seem to be aiming at the yummy mummy market now, A feature called Hot goss 3 times per day with all the news from x factor and such rubbish, they play alot of current and recent chart songs but have enough 80s and 90s so that they dont sound like a youth station.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

sounding the best they have since the start the talk shows are tops also they have me all day and im a 37 year old male. ps dont mind a little hot goss but not a fan of x factor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

4FM are simply replicating what q102 have been doing successfully for years, the difference between the two is that 4FM is heavily in debt and will most likely buckle in 2012 whereas q102 are owned by UTV and will continue to be in business this time next year.

i hope they dont buckle as we dont have a q102 or a good nihgtly chat show in cork whit out 4 fm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I will give you my tuppence worth.

I, of course, would like to see 4FM succeed. That said, I believe that one of 4FM's problems is the quite crowded market for the over '45s in Dublin. 4FM are affectively competing with Q102 and Sunshine 106.8 (and to some extent Radio Nova) on the music front and, possibly, Newstalk for talk shows.

I wonder, with the benefit of loads of hindsight, would this have worked better if 4FM was only available for Cork, Galway and Limerick (and Co. Clare!), where, certainly muscially, there are no comparable stations. The only complaint that listeners outside the pale might have is the amount of Dublin voices on 4FM.

For the record, I hate those references to "hot goss". Please drop this tabloid type of news!

I think it is possible for a mix of music and talk shows to work.
    Surely, there are enough middle-aged listeners out there who like a bit of variety in radio.

The crucial issue for 4FM, I think anyway, is setting itself apart from other stations. The "classic hits" idea with a little bit of talk shows could work, but then the "hot goss" stuff and the likes of the Blackeyed Peas does not gel at all.

Hopefully, 4FM will survive. It would be particularly a shame for the regions outside Dublin covered by the licence for it to fail as they would lose a pretty unique radio station.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭jimmy2flutes

Spoken like a true Dub Declan, point out everything that wrong with the station because you know of the over crowded Dublin market.

Give them a chance, if you are going to proceed with this line of investigation, at least give us an indepth review of stations in cork, galway and limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Keep the discussion here ON TOPIC. i.e.: About 4FM and their radio programmes. Anything to do with presenters personal lives, etc. will be deleted without discussion. If you have an issue with any moderating decision, keep it to private messages and not in posts on this thread - as per the forum charter. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Spoken like a true Dub Declan, point out everything that wrong with the station because you know of the over crowded Dublin market.

Give them a chance, if you are going to proceed with this line of investigation, at least give us an indepth review of stations in cork, galway and limerick.

I assume that in those city 4FM compete with the local radio station and Radio 1, while 2fm and Today fm compete with Red FM, IRadio, Spin and Beat (where available). And this would lead me to believe that those cities don't need an over 45s station but rather a new youth station.

I imagine if the channels aren't all bought up by Communicorp or UTV that we will see many so called niche services merge in 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I believe Dave Redmond has left 4fm this week. Pity I'd liked his show at the weekends. I had heard Ray Shah in Dave's slot and to be honest there's no comparison.

Anyway such is life...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭prunudo

bbability wrote: »
    I believe Dave Redmond has left 4fm this week. Pity I'd liked his show at the weekends. I had heard Ray Shah in Dave's slot and to be honest there's no comparison.

Anyway such is life...

Hopefully he has kissed and made up with 2fm and will take back his old show. Have to say, always enjoyed his breakfast shows before those other two clowns took over

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    Hopefully he has kissed and made up with 2fm and will take back his old show. Have to say, always enjoyed his breakfast shows before those other two clowns took over

Unless his agent is Noel Kelly I wouldn't say he has any hope.... And someone in 2fm eating humble pie.. That would also be a first!

So has Classic Hits 4fm just become like every other Dublin station?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Elmo wrote: »
    So has Classic Hits 4fm just become like every other Dublin station?

But not all Dublin stations are the same.

Classic Hits 4FM is a bit similar to 98FM, if that's what you mean... but of course, it's not just a Dublin station itself as it covers Cork, Limerick, Galway and Co. Clare too.

Bard wrote: »
    But not all Dublin stations are the same.

Classic Hits 4FM is a bit similar to 98FM, if that's what you mean... but of course, it's not just a Dublin station itself as it covers Cork, Limerick, Galway and Co. Clare too.

Ah! that where I am going wrong.

So are Classic Hits 4FM, Sunshine FM, 98FM, possibly FM104 and 2FM sound very similar?

Also Q102 and Today FM.

Who changed the name of this thread, who works in 4FM marketing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

sorry couldnt find the thread,

any 4fm thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Nova forever

Here it is.

way i found it... :)

why is the david harvey show only one hour this week

i miss the pirates...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

vince wrote: »
    why is the david harvey show only one hour this week

All the unhappy people of Ireland are on holiday this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I wish they'd fix their web streaming, for months now the quality has been poor and theres a 'warbling' which is very apparent with some kinds of music or vocal notes where there's a constant tone.

Folks.. I just fixed the heading so users of the forum should find this thread with ease once again.

bbability wrote: »
    Folks.. I just fixed the heading so users of the forum should find this thread with ease once again.

Yeah, yeah, you'll do it again as soon as you take steps for the full rebrand to "Classic Hits".

bbability head of marketing at 4fm classic hits

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah, yeah, you'll do it again as soon as you take steps for the full rebrand to "Classic Hits".

bbability head of marketing at 4fm classic hits

Just to clarify that I did not modify the original thread name to "Classic Hits 4fm"

If you want though I can put it back to the way I had it set up and just call it 4fm Thread.

Advertisement