Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Hits 4FM Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Great to hear Dave back at the helm of weekend breakfast this morning on 4fm. If ever a radio station turned a corner its this one.. This was the way they should have started 18 months ago..

Its like a new version of the old 2fm... if you know what I mean. I've replaced 2fm on the preset with 4fm this week. 4 is the new 2 if you ask me...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

yea its better now to have tunes at drive time. i think the music is a bit more laid back now aswell shame. the shows are a bit long too. they should have moved harvy from 10 untill 12 then greely to 4 then brian till 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Lucozade man

Lots of rumours that 4fm is to be re-named smooth FM in the coming weeks, it might come to nothing like the phantom name change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

..meh, was only Ranting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭GSF

Lots of rumours that 4fm is to be re-named smooth FM in the coming weeks, it might come to nothing like the phantom name change.

like Smooth FM in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Lots of rumours:confused:
    Surely theres only one rumour and you're spreading it, and possibly started it.

anyway, it would be a dreadful choice (if true) as it "locks" the station into one format.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

The irony if they use the name Smooth........cos its DOG ROUGH......!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

Looks like this is going to happen next month and they are getting an new ceo and pd sean ashmore and andy mattewes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Kevin Branigan confirmed these changes in the business pages of the Irish Times last Friday and good luck to him. What I don't understand is why he's appointing a competitor (Sean Ashmore) to be CEO while he carries out similar function in Dargle Road. Bay Broadcasting don't seem to like CEOs replacing Martin Block, David Tighe, Jim Miley all within less than 2 years. And before they get annoyed in Castleforbes - its only an observation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

I dont see the point changing the name whats wrong with the name 4fm ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Kevin joyce

Atlantic 94-104 is one of 3 names that bay broadcasting have submitted to the bai as a proposed new name for 4fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Won't someone just admit defeat? Won't the BCI just take away their licence and stop making a mockery of the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭GSF

I was expecting Q104! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Atlantic 94-104 is one of 3 names that bay broadcasting have submitted to the bai as a proposed new name for 4fm.

Where did you get this info and what are the other two names proposed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

If only they could say bye bye to Gareth O'Callagh'sham, while they're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

mike65 wrote: »
    Won't someone just admit defeat? Won't the BCI just take away their licence and stop making a mockery of the system?

I agree 100%.Radio in this country is in a sad state.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

DT100 wrote: »
    I agree 100%.Radio in this country is in a sad state.

++;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Kevin joyce

Big Tone wrote: »
    Where did you get this info and what are the other two names proposed?

A jock that works there is a pal of mine. Magic fm and smooth fm

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

A jock that works there is a pal of mine. Magic fm and smooth fm

2 dreadful names there altogether. I do like the sound of Atlantic tho. Its still cheesy and will have anoraks up in arms but its by far the best of a bad bunch.

That station has potential, and considering the amount of well known radio people who have/still work there, you'd think that station would be flying along. Not just because they've a name as a good presenter, but because a number of them are known in the industry as people with a good head on how radio works and are very passionate about it

When i was working in a commercial station (That statement makes me sound so old, i'm only mid 20's!) if anything went wrong in the slightest everyone would rush to solve the problem, but it seems like 4fm peeps just say "well it wasn't me and its the DJ that pre recorded who's getting the bad name".

Don't know what the atmosphere is like in there but hopefully ya's can all pull together and work even harder to make this station live up to its potential.

oh and please don't run with magic or smooth.

Changing the name will be a huge step back. It's just finding it's feet and all o a sudden they want to change the name. Didn't someone try this at 98fm and that fell flat on it's face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

98FM only dropped the "FM". Not so much of a change.
    Would be big mistake if they went with Smooth. That tends to give listeners a preconception of the station that may not be accurate and can be very hard to shake off in the future.
    Remember Lite FM? :)

Nothing wrong with the 4FM name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I've finally switched off anyway. Too much bland 80s stuff that was crap at the time, and a lot of it obscure. And they still haven't mastered voice tracking.

Actually, that raises a question, do they (as in stations in general) save on royalties by playing less popular stuff? Would explain 4FM's new music choices, all of what seems like twenty of them, if so.

Its slowly changing. Classic Hits 4FM is the new tag line. Remember Classic Hits 98FM in the early 90s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Actually, that raises a question, do they (as in stations in general) save on royalties by playing less popular stuff?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

bbability wrote: »
    Its slowly changing. Classic Hits 4FM is the new tag line. Remember Classic Hits 98FM in the early 90s?

Didn't they also have the tag line "timeless hits 4FM"? But now that seems to have gone by the way-side as well.

They also seem to play the same songs over and over again - a little variety would be nice, before they become stale and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭prunudo

Kojak wrote: »

They also seem to play the same songs over and over again - a little variety would be nice, before they become stale and boring.

Sounds like the radio nova thread:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rossa morbeg

I stopped listening to 4fm when they put a bloody talk show on at 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭radiofreak

bbability wrote: »

4FM Are trying ever harder to be Classic Hits 98FM.
    They have two 98 Jocks on back to back, Enda Murphy ex presenter on 98 Followed by Robbie Fogarty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭prunudo

radiofreak wrote: »
    They have two 98 Jocks on back to back, Enda Murphy ex presenter on 98 Followed by Robbie Fogarty.

Ah, that's where Enda Murphy went. He didn't last long on Nova!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

radiofreak wrote: »

Classic Hits 98FM was Dublin-only, and that abandoned format is sadly missed.

If 4FM can do it well and provide it across the country, fair play to them.

Advertisement