Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Hits 4FM Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Sorry Mike, missed that thread :)

It's a pity, got off to a good start IMO, remember their gimmick about the "tape amnesty"?

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/16054-4fms-mix-tape-amnesty-dr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ooh 4FM have "megathread status", sounds a bit grand for them!

Cheers, unknown moderator :)

The fact that we actually didn't have a megathread up to now just goes to show how little interest there is in 4fm, despite a good start out of the blocks.

If it were a proper national, it might have had a better chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Always a bad sign when the website is neglected; the Tom McGurk show page has no dates on its 'listen again' links, but it's depressing that September 15 is the latest dateline on the accompanying text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Denzil2222

Word is that its closing down on sunday night

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

only listened to it a few times and wasnt much better then whats already out there and theyve done very little promotion lately aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Denzil2222 wrote: »

source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Denzil2222 wrote: »

That's pretty strong, can you prove it?

• Advertisement

4fm closing down would be the precise opposite to what my source tells me... thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I don't think 4FM is going to close, and if I'd written that I'd be a bit nervous now.

4FM has got a lot better recently, at first the programming didn't flow, the music was all over the place. Under John Taylor the music and programming has got a lot better, a lot more consistent.

And under Jim Miley I'd say the business end of things has been tightened up immensely.

I guess they're still hampered by foolish and irresponsible financial decisions made early on, but hopefully if they can ride out the current problems with this (which I think they will) they'll emerge as a very listenable and successful station.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

I tend to agree with a lot of whats being said here. 4fm is getting better and Taylor and Miley are making differences. Let's not forget the influence of Kevin Branigan who's now chair as well as a shareholder. The saddest thing is that the early mistakes were bleedin obvious...

On a related matter I was a bit taken back that this site allowed a post to suggest the station was closing without a shred of evidence. Good luck to 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Certainly I was not a fan of 4fm on its start up but I have heard a huge improvement over the last few months. David Harvey's show is an pitched perfectly. Its like a new version of 2fm so to speak..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I listened a lot for the first year or so but gradually drifted away, dip in and out now.

Not mad about David Harvey but it's a good move to have that type of show on at that time. If only they could rid us all of Gareth O'Callaghan, then I might tune in from early morning and stick with them a bit longer in the day....each to their own, but he makes my skin crawl. And while we're at it, retire Tom McGurk off to a home for the cranky. I used to really like him on Radio 1, when filling in for Pat Kenny during the summer, but here he's just biased, condescending and downright rude at times.

Sorry to see The Great American Songbook with Noel McCaul, Saturday Night at the Movies, Michael Comyn and Maura O'Neill all gone from the schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kunle

New line up (sort of) starting in a couple of days Tom mcguirk and gerry stevens are gone but they are not being replaced jimmy grealy and brian mccoll will now be doing 4 hours each day and marian farall will be on for 5 hours from 7 till midnight. David harvey will be the only talk show on the station. Weekend chat is also all gone.

Farce isn't it? They should hand the licence back and apologise.

mike65 wrote: »
    Farce isn't it? They should hand the licence back and apologise.

Im going to give it another chance on tuesday, i think getting rid of the drivetime talk show is a good thing, brian mccoll is a very good jock and i think he will do good on the 3-7 slot. Full new line up is 6-9 Gareth, 9-11 David harvey, 11-3 Jimmy grealy, 3-7 brian mccoll. 7-midnight smooth and easy with marian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I was a fan when they first began but am finished with them.

It's bad enough that they got rid of the likes of Derek Davis....and the others I mentioned in my post above....but on top of that, to keep that sham of a broadcaster, Gareth O'Callaghan.:mad: Maybe they will reconsider, given his shameful input into the Gerry Ryan controversy....which all turned out to be bullsh*t.

I hope Derek Davis gets his old job back filling in for Joe Duffy during the the summer.

• Advertisement

Whatever gobdaw they have compiling/supervising their voicetracking would want to be fecked out into the car park.

It's embarrassing at this stage, especially as they're so reliant on it.

Repetitive playlist too, albeit mostly good stuff. If they go down that road they might as well put a tracklist on shuffle and hook it up to the mixer; which is a side issue to the daily occurrences of news presenters recording their hourly cues over a combination of whatever track is playing, and a DJ doing a bit of non time constrained filler that they're pretending is live.

If i was in charge of 4fm i would give Ray Darcy 2 million euro to join the station, what 4fm really need is a big name presenter who already has big listenership on another station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Kunle wrote: »
    If i was in charge of 4fm i would give Ray Darcy 2 million euro to join the station, what 4fm really need is a big name presenter who already has big listenership on another station.
    I wish you would then I may start listening to Today again in the mornings;)
    To be serious tho, Darcy isn't mature enough for 4FM.

brian mccoll is a very good jock and i think he will do good on the 3-7 slot

Brian McColl is excellent at what he does - a superb broadcaster. After having such high hopes for the station at the start, he's now the only reason I have to tune in to 4fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

Gareth O'Callaghan used to have close on 300,000 listeners at 2FM but they haven't moved en masse to 4FM

GSF wrote: »
    Gareth O'Callaghan used to have close on 300,000 listeners at 2FM but they haven't moved en masse to 4FM

Gareth had left 2fm for about 5 years before joining 4fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

Gareth had left 2fm for about 5 years before joining 4fm.
    but he still has a lot of ex-listeners who remember him but big names wont always get their audiences to transfer with them to another station

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Clutterfree88

Have they got rid of Gerry Stevens altogether? I thought he was the music director, and also one of the better DJ's on 4fm. Will they make it through 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Gerry will be doing Sunday afternoons 12noon to 6.00PM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I've gotta say 4fm has really turned a corner for 2011. It's sounding great. Well done to all concerned. David Harveys show is coming along. Music is spot on. Not a fan of breakfast show mind you but I hope good things happen for them.

Advertisement