Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Hits 4FM Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭GSF

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Classic Hits 98FM was Dublin-only, and that abandoned format is sadly missed.

If 4FM can do it well and provide it across the country, fair play to them.

Well apart from not being countrywide ;) (there is life outside of Limerick, Clare and the 3 other cities), Classic Hits 98FM got very stale towards the end. It was robotic and if 4FM go down that route it may give them a short term boost but I doubt it will last.

No sign yet of the cash calls on Classic Hits 4FM?

When does the new schedule take hold and who is leaving to acomodate these 2 hires?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

jvan wrote: »
    Ah, that's where Enda Murphy went. He didn't last long on Nova!

My understanding was that Enda Murphy had gone behind the scenes in Nova to concentrate on Sales. Bear in mind that for many years Enda was involved in PR and just did weekend stints on radio stations. It is possible that he is still involved in Nova behind the scenes. After all, Kevin Brannigan's Bay Broadcasting are shareholders in both stations.

The 98FM connection is quite strong on 4FM. It is not just Enda and Robbie. Brian McColl was a 98FM presenter and Jimmy Grealey was mainly a newsreader for 98FM. Of course, 4FM used to also have two other ex-98FM presenters in Mark Byrne and Gerry Stevens.

Incidentally, Radio Nova does have a strong 98FM connection too: Pat Courtenay, Greg Gaughren, Breffni Clack and Marty Miller.

The RTE connection in 4FM is even stronger: Gareth O'Callaghan (Millennium Radio, 2FM, Radio 1), Dave Harvey (RTE TV), Jimmy Grealey (Radio 1, 2FM, Millennium Radio and AFAIK FM3), Brian McColl (Millennium Radio, 2FM), Marian Farrell (2FM), Enda Murphy (2FM), Dave Heffernan (RTE TV - presenter and producer) and Bill Hughes (RTE TV - mainly as a producer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 NOVA7

Have to say I am impressed with the new 4FM,the Classic Hits format is a great idea and there has been a major improvement in the music as well and the issues with the fade out at the top of the hour solved.Would just like to wish 4FM continued success and keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭radiofreak

radiofreak wrote: »
    4FM Are trying ever harder to be Classic Hits 98FM.
    They have two 98 Jocks on back to back, Enda Murphy ex presenter on 98 Followed by Robbie Fogarty.

I forgot to Mention Brian McColl who is also an ex 98 Jock.
    I heard Him earlier on 4FM and He is sounding good. What is Interesting is the fact that his show has the exact same title to the show he did on 98, "The Home Run".

The new Classic Hits 98 sorry 4FM is sounding good and the music is brilliant on it,I think robbie fogarty is behind that,djs sounding like they are enjoying themselves again whats not to like and I wish them all the best for the future,any chance of a job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Niall Boylan now recruited . Go on lads, just rename it 98fm

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Clutterfree88

I remember texting Gerry Steven's one evening last year to just get call it "Classic Hits" as "Timeless Hits" and all the other tags had been weak. Sounds better, however sorry that Gerry's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

No need for two threads... merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lgsmith

Atlantic 94-104 is one of 3 names that bay broadcasting have submitted to the bai as a proposed new name for 4fm.

What is the 3 name of 94-104 ?????

Why does Dublin need yet another late night talk show? I know it might be a novelty in Cork or Limerick but Q102 should be the big winners in Dublin, although I suppose nobody in Dublin was listening to Marian Farrell anyway.

• Advertisement

As far as I am aware the 3 names submitted to the bai were Atlantic,Smooth and Magic FM,though I think this is all irrelevant now as I would say they are sticking with Classic Hits 4FM and even if they are playing jessie j and dance music on a saturday night is it right to say that over 45s dont listen to modern music as well the station needed to change to survive thats the bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

GSF wrote: »
    Why does Dublin need yet another late night talk show? I know it might be a novelty in Cork or Limerick but Q102 should be the big winners in Dublin, although I suppose nobody in Dublin was listening to Marian Farrell anyway.

4fm isn't centered around Dublin at all so I don't see your point. Personally, I just heard Niall Moylan? talk show last night and was quite impressed. He got a few great digs in at that Ben guy from the WBC. Don't know where Marian is gone but don't really care either, music was a snoozefest most of the time anyway.

DarkJager wrote: »
    4fm isn't centered around Dublin at all so I don't see your point.
    Its by far their biggest available audience so if they ignore Dublin they will be fishing out of a much smaller pool of listeners and advertisers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Its by far their biggest available audience so if they ignore Dublin they will be fishing out of a much smaller pool of listeners and advertisers

Its not really though, considering it covers Cork, Limerick, Galway etc. Dublin isn't the be all and end all for 4fm, in fact I'd say the majority of their listeners don't even live in Dublin.

NOVA7 wrote: »
    any chance of a job?

Nova, I hope you have Much better luck than I had. I got 2 emails from Martin Block, The 1st boss At The Station promising me an interview.
    I am still waiting for that interview over two years later. Very professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

radiofreak wrote: »
    Nova, I hope you have Much better luck than I had. I got 2 emails from Martin Block, The 1st boss At The Station promising me an interview.
    I am still waiting for that interview over two years later. Very professional.
    I think he may have been looking for a job himself.......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Dublin has numerous choices, the rest of the country - ridiculously - doesn't.

So it makes sense to stand out where there are more potential listeners, ones who won't assume that the country only has one O'Connell St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

Gareth o'callaghan is returning to afternoon radio, He will be doing the 3pm-6pm slot on Classic hits 4fm starting the first week of june. He always was at his best doing afternoons, His afternoon show on 2fm had over 250k listeners. I wish him good luck on his return to afternoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Tapes wrote: »
    Gareth o'callaghan is returning to afternoon radio, He will be doing the 3pm-6pm slot on Classic hits 4fm starting the first week of june. He always was at his best doing afternoons, His afternoon show on 2fm had over 250k listeners. I wish him good luck on his return to afternoons.

i remember gareth on 2fm back in the nineties , would regulary come out with lines like , that was adele there with running through the deep , that just might be a hit , this despite the fact that the song was on release about six months at that stage and had sold by the truck load

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i remember gareth on 2fm back in the nineties , would regulary come out with lines like , that was adele there with running through the deep , that just might be a hit , this despite the fact that the song was on release about six months at that stage and had sold by the truck load

Sweet Jaysus !!

• Advertisement

Sweet Jaysus !!

wha ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Ok new line up ...:P

Jim Mc Cabe getting breakfast
    Robbie Fogarty mid morning
    David Harvey back to Lunchtime
    Gareth O Callaghan afternoon
    Brian Mc Coll Drive Time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Well, fair ****s to him for predicting Adele hits in the 90's.
    No doubt his arrival on 4FM in The Afternoon will be greeted with loud appl:)ause

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I think he may have been looking for a job himself.......;)

LMAO

bbability wrote: »
    Ok new line up ...:P

Jim Mc Cabe getting breakfast
    Robbie Fogarty mid morning
    David Harvey back to Lunchtime
    Gareth O Callaghan afternoon
    Brian Mc Coll Drive Time

Very Impressive Line Up. And I'm Looking forward to Gareth In The Afternoon Again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

He was/is a terrible dj, best thing 2fm did in years was getting rid of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

irishh_bob wrote: »

I remember him saying something like "I'm a big Robert de Niro fan. He was brilliant in Scent of a Woman" :eek:

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Well, fair ****s to him for predicting Adele hits in the 90's.
    No doubt his arrival on 4FM in The Afternoon will be greeted with loud appl:)ause

way to miss the point there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Firetrap wrote: »
    I remember him saying something like "I'm a big Robert de Niro fan. He was brilliant in Scent of a Woman" :eek:

Well De Niro and Pacino sort of look alike... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

jim sounded slick when he sat in for jimmy greely friday morning. i feel sorry for jimmy to be put reading the news. i remember the first jnlrs jimmy had the highest amount of listeners

Advertisement