Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Hits 4FM Thread

Options
  • 30-06-2010 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The strange 4 city, quasi-national station enterprise that is 4FM appears to be holed below the waterline, 6 members of staff have been made redundant in the last month or so the talk and music format is shifting into music with a bit of chat. Another Radio Ireland or another Today FM (ditch the almost all the chat and pursue music)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I only really get a chance to hear the breakfast show and for me, the mix just doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

It doesnt really register in Dublin at least. Too much competition and 4FM dont seem to have deep enough pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bandscan

Its the poor mans Q102 In Dublin,They Were paying silly money to the on-air staff at the start and that just could`nt continue.So Who`s The 5 Or 6 gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭decies

Listening to it on dab in waterford,Mike? I actually think they play good music on it on sunday mornings before mr davis comes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

I think that John Taylor is putting a bit of order on the chaos of it's opening period. Four in a rows, music you know and love straps, less chatter from the jocks - as much as some don't like it - will pay dividends in time.
    Once the BCI do their usual routine of rolling over and having their belly tickled, they can change the terms of their licence and drop that expensive and unsuitable bauble, Tom McGurk. That and the lunchtime show in their current format were never going to work in my view alongside the music.
    Just shows what the BCI know about catering for the various radio markets when they award these licences. This has happened too often.

• Advertisement

I think that John Taylor is putting a bit of order on the chaos of it's opening period. Four in a rows, music you know and love straps, less chatter from the jocks - as much as some don't like it - will pay dividends in time.
    Once the BCI do their usual routine of rolling over and having their belly tickled, they can change the terms of their licence and drop that expensive and unsuitable bauble, Tom McGurk. That and the lunchtime show in their current format were never going to work in my view alongside the music.
    Just shows what the BCI know about catering for the various radio markets when they award these licences. This has happened too often.

Personally I'd move to:
    Breakfast 6-10am
    Greely 10-1pm
    McColl 1-4pm
    Drivetime with Dave Harvey 4-7pm

and lose McGurk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I dont really want to make fun as people are losing their jobs but does something have to be afloat before it can sink?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭theCaffers

four who?... exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

........Just shows what the BCI know about catering for the various radio markets when they award these licences. This has happened too often.

Nobody forced 4FM to apply for this license. 4FM knew the programme format when they applied. They and the other applicants obviously thought the format was a runner, otherwise they wouldn't have submitted applications and spent a fortune on their fine studios.

Let's not forget most of the recently advertised licenses were based on public submissions to the BCI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Only found 4fm 3 weeks ago, great channell, has to be the best out there at the mo, Less politics and more classics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Well, if they (4FM) can't operate it the licence as is, maybe it should be handed back either for a new competition or the other bidders from the shorlist should be offered another go at it. We'll see how many of them think it's an attractive format now with no access to finance from the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

Leave 4FM alone, their nice people play nice music for nice people in a nice way. Its not too loud its just nice . They also have nice people talk to other nice people agout nice things. ......................nice !

Leave 4FM alone, their nice people play nice music for nice people in a nice way. Its not too loud its just nice . They also have nice people talk to other nice people agout nice things. ......................nice !
    I wonder if they have Nice biscuits too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

promo_louis.jpg

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 comfysofa

They're not so bad for music on Sunday evenings when everyone else is rubbish. Other than that I would never think of listening to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

4fm play some good music but the presenters talk some rubbish. someone needs to sit down and decide what age group they want as listeners and go for it. Either they are a news station or a music station aimed at the over 40's??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm 26 and i listen to 4fm for a good 4-5 hours every day. There is no other station where i live, playing as much retro classics and i love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

I'm 30 and enjoy the music on 4fm, certainly beats modern pop music by far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

+1 on most of the comments above, and I've even switched my alarm clock to 4fm......miss Gift Grub alright, but 4fm is better overall.

I'd agree with the mix of music and talk; it takes a certain kind of presenter (and content) to pull that off, and while all the main talk guys on 4fm are good, it doesn't quite "fit".

A clearer delineation of the formats would be better.....I mean, you don't tune in to Matt Cooper for music.

On a side-note, I still can't understand why Anton Savage doesn't have a regular slot anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

Anton Savage maybe too busy with TD's teaching them how to spin but not disks..

I will say this for him he does a good job when he is on the radio or TV not like others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I don't blame anyone in particular for this one but it was a non runner from the start up if you ask me. 4 cities on 4 different frequencies... a marketing disaster.

4fm = BoreFM

They (the BCI) should have given Premier FM the licence.

Can't receive 4FM in Sligo on a traditional radio but whenever I am in the coverage area I listen in and have enjoyed it,kind of an Irish BBC R2.
    Wish they would go national and then maybe their fortunes will change!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

Not sure if they can go national - wasn't it advertised as just a multi-city licence. I will say that I spend a lot of time deep in West Cork where there is no chance of a mobile phone signal but you can still receive 4FM - that surprises me.

Should say that I enjoy the content. Other stations play the same few oldies all the time but 4FM is the place to go to listen to tracks that you haven't heard for years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Antenna

WHL wrote: »
    . I will say that I spend a lot of time deep in West Cork where there is no chance of a mobile phone signal but you can still receive 4FM - that surprises me.

Well they have transmitters in West Cork, principally Nowen Hill on 95.4, nothing really surprising that you can receive it.

It has been wrongly called a 'multi-city licence' (by the BCI / BAI themselves, not to mind anyone else). more correctly its a 'multi-county' licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Their 94.8 transmitter in Bantry also covers a good section out the Beara Peninsula towards Glengariff and Castletownbere but Nowen Hill is their main Tx on 95.4

And I dont agree with the OP that 4FM is slowly dieing, and if the recent JNLRs are anything to go by neither do the listening public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

bbability wrote: »
    I don't blame anyone in particular for this one but it was a non runner from the start up if you ask me. 4 cities on 4 different frequencies... a marketing disaster.

4fm = BoreFM

I'm confused as to what your issue is, because "4fm = BoreFM" bears no relation to the fact that they are in 4 cities on 4 different frequencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

It's not an issue as such Liam but an opinion. Take for example iradio. 102-104 or 105-107. Very easy to remember. Now without looking or researching where is 4fm in Limerick, Cork & Waterford on the fm band? We haven't turned digital yet so they should ask bai to be like iradio on fm band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    promo_louis.jpg

Nice.

:D:D:D:D:D......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I've cribbed about their voicetracking before, with ten seconds of a track rudely interrupted by the news, as well as one side of a phone call coming through late one night over whatever track robojock was playing at the time.

For the last ten minutes there are newscasts playing over the audio!

Not a good sign...

Typical, it just stopped for the real news ;)

This station is as much good as someone's ipod on shuffle at the moment, an ipod that has about 50 songs on it, and I can't see the future looking bright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Advertisement