Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alive! magazine and a no junk mail sign.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I don't consider charity appeals to help handicapped people junk.
    just beacuse you do not consider it junk does not give you the right to ignore a sign or to put your appeals in someone elses letterbox. I consider it junk and would not want it in my letterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

just beacuse you do not consider it junk does not give you the right to ignore a sign or to put your appeals in someone elses letterbox. I consider it junk and would not want it in my letterbox.
    Perhaps people should include a definition of what they consider junk mail on their signs then.

Perhaps people should include a definition of what they consider junk mail on their signs then.
    why? you said you would not consider your appeal junk inferring you would consider some mail junk. What do you consider junk? why not respect people who ask not to receive any junk/ads. Why not knock and ask if people want it or offer it to people on the street so they can choose? BTW do you push it all the way through the letterbox or leave it sticking out telling everyone no one is home

why? you said you would not consider your appeal junk inferring you would consider some mail junk. What do you consider junk? why not respect people who ask not to receive any junk/ads. Why not knock and ask if people want it or offer it to people on the street so they can choose? BTW do you push it all the way through the letterbox or leave it sticking out telling everyone no one is home
    I do not feel that Enable Ireland clothing collection bags are junk. I feel ads for pizzas etc are. If a sign says "No charity mail" then I will oblige.

I do not feel that Enable Ireland clothing collection bags are junk..
    I do and would not want them in my letterbox. Knock and ask and allow me say yes or no, Do not assume everyone has your views re EI

• Advertisement

I do and would not want them in my letterbox. Knock and ask and allow me say yes or no, Do not assume everyone has your views re EI
    Ok, so every time someone has "junk mail" they should ring the door, disturb you and ask if you want it? lol

Ok, so every time someone has "junk mail" they should ring the door, disturb you and ask if you want it? lol
    no they should keep their junk as requested. what gives you the right to put your flyer through my door - just because you believe in it?now that is a real lol

no they should keep their junk as requested. what gives you the right to put your flyer through my door - just because you believe in it?now that is a real lol
    You just said they should knock and ask.

You just said they should knock and ask.
    and you made fun of that seeking to defend putting something you believe in through someones letterbox.Just cos you believe it is not junk does not give you the right to push it on soemone else. That is my point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

and you made fun of that seeking to defend putting something you believe in through someones letterbox.Just cos you believe it is not junk does not give you the right to push it on soemone else. That is my point

These arguments have all been done before. You won't get your answers on this thread.
    Contact the guards, your councillor, and the Citizens Advice and you will find out your rights and act accordingly.

All other posters seemed to have stopped at the "have a moan on the internet" stage of complaints. Let us know how you get on........

• Advertisement

davrho wrote: »
    These arguments have all been done before. You won't get your answers on this thread.
    Contact the guards, your councillor, and the Citizens Advice and you will find out your rights and act accordingly.

All other posters seemed to have stopped at the "have a moan on the internet" stage of complaints. Let us know how you get on........
    was not seeking answers was telling M he is arrogant in his belief and when he had no answer to that he made fun of it

If I am delivering stuff, and there is a no junk mail sign I would not post what I believed to be junk. Thats fair. Many people with signs have given me generous charitable donations as a result of my delivery, so they did no view it as junk either.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I agree with Mussolini - I know people who have no junk mail signs and then they complain they never get political literature

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

and there is a no junk mail sign I would not post what I believed to be junk. Thats fair. .
    only in your opinion .My point, that you do not have the right to decide what others want or see as junk, stands. I consider all non solicitated deliveries such as chuggers/politics etc to be junk

only in your opinion .My point, that you do not have the right to decide what others want or see as junk, stands. I consider all non solicitated deliveries such as chuggers/politics etc to be junk
    Going by your posts I have no right NOT to post stuff in, as they may not view it as junk.

Take it up where it matters. If there is a mandate you will be vindicated.

I would guess the majority do not give a flying feck. The options are there for you rather than point score on the net.

It is not a big deal. If charity did not benefit from these deliveries(enable ireland, not the point of the discussion Alive) they would not continue these actions. If it helps the needy then more power to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Mailshots are physical spam 99% of the time. Most of the time around my area stuff is left sticking half out of the letterbox, which is dead handy if you leave at 10 a.m. and return at 6 p.m. with the house empty all day.

I've actually had to ring a local Pizzeria about a leaflet left on my doorstep (littering). With regard to charities, the process is junk rather than the charity. The charity need to find another way of targeting people, like the girl who called to the door recently to see if I wanted to set up a direct debit for the charity she represented.

Like spam, mailshots are lazy and target the widest possible audience regardless of how annoying it is. I don't give a crap who thinks what is worthy or not, I don't want it.

ahal wrote: »
    Mailshots are physical spam 99% of the time. Most of the time around my area stuff is left sticking half out of the letterbox, which is dead handy if you leave at 10 a.m. and return at 6 p.m. with the house empty all day.

I've actually had to ring a local Pizzeria about a leaflet left on my doorstep (littering). With regard to charities, the process is junk rather than the charity. The charity need to find another way of targeting people, like the girl who called to the door recently to see if I wanted to set up a direct debit for the charity she represented.

Like spam, mailshots are lazy and target the widest possible audience regardless of how annoying it is. I don't give a crap who thinks what is worthy or not, I don't want it.

Why complain on a message board? Its not going to change. Surely the guards, councillors and citizens advice are the way forward. The local pizzeria is not not the way forward in this debacle.

I am all for the stance against this hardship. Let me know how you get on..........

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Junk Mail
    noun

[mass noun] informal
    • unsolicited advertising or promotional material received through the post
    Oxford online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Change the sign to "No unsolicited mail" or "No Junk Mail - this includes you, Alive pusher". Or just have a laugh at it and throw it in the fecking bin, what difference does the intent of the delivery person make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

ive a " post no post unless your the postman, or ill put you in a post-appocoliptic state )

i know it needs a tl;dr sign below it but it works a treat....

seriously !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

davrho wrote: »
    Why complain on a message board? Its not going to change. Surely the guards, councillors and citizens advice are the way forward. The local pizzeria is not not the way forward in this debacle.

I am all for the stance against this hardship. Let me know how you get on..........

I'm not sure how to answer the first bit ... it's a bit like asking why talk to people. Come to think of it, in a manner of speaking that's what you are asking. It's an opinion, and people generally share opinions and reach a consensus, or match their opinions against what other people put forward.

I'm quite confused as to what the 'point' is, unless you are suggesting that instead of doing something about the problem I am just coming on boards to complain. If so, please clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Quackles wrote: »
    Change the sign to "No unsolicited mail" or "No Junk Mail - this includes you, Alive pusher". Or just have a laugh at it and throw it in the fecking bin, what difference does the intent of the delivery person make?

Bingo. Though if the people delivering Alive papers aren't employed by a mailing company it may not work. You can't do anything top stop unsolicited mail. You can however ask for your address to be removed from a company's database. This only works for addressed mail and not pizza menus/Alive etc. I'm pretty sure that's the law anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Basically, if the content is personally addressed to you then by law you must receive it, and An Post or other delivery agents are required to stick it in your letter box. IN other words, that's why you cannot tell political parties to stick their election material up their arses - if it's sent with your name on it. The only way to stop this is to remove yourself from the electoral register.

If it is NOT addressed to you, then you're entitled to tell people to stop posting junk. They may ignore you, but in such cases you then catch them at it and rip them a new one. Generally then it stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I'm absolutely livid.

Caught the woman putting it through the door as I'm at home with a bad chest infection. I politely notified her to the no junk mail sign.

She responded with "Well its not junk mail....."

I said... "well"

she told me "It looks like you need it!!!" and walked off. I called her scum as she walked off. Ive tried ringing alive but it rings out to a message service.

Surely there's some sort of body that can prevent this like?

The sign on the door also has no unsolicated mail listed on it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It'll do if you run out of bog roll. Realistically there's not a lot you can do to stop them putting it in, especially if she'll even do it when caught red-handed.

I put a similar sign on our letter box a while back and it's cut out about 75% of the junk we used to get, but it's unrealistic to expect everyone to follow it - some of the deliverers either can't read English, or just don't give a fu<k about your sign.

Throw it straight in the recycling and then relax, at least you know that copy is going to be read by anyone who might take it remotely seriously.

I know, now they know where I live.....

Maybe some novena's will be directed my way, quite the Christian thing to do being rude to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

wild_cat wrote: »
    Ive tried ringing alive but it rings out to a message service.
    I've no doubt that McKevitt receives as much angry mail and phone-calls as he creates with his nasty little hate-rag.

If you're in Dublin and have an hour or two to spare, have you thought about dropping out to his place in Tallaght:
    Address wrote:
    Mr Brian McKevitt,
    "Editor" of Alive!!!!!!
    St Mary's Priory,
    Tallaght Village,
    Dublin 24
    And asking to have a word with him?

If I were a cruel sort(*), I'd suggest suggest signing him up to receive as much junk mail as possible, now that you have his address. The saucier and raunchier the better.

(*) But I'm not a cruel sort, so I won't suggest it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

wild_cat wrote: »
    I'm absolutely livid.

Caught the woman putting it through the door as I'm at home with a bad chest infection. I politely notified her to the no junk mail sign.

She responded with "Well its not junk mail....."

I said... "well"

she told me "It looks like you need it!!!" and walked off. I called her scum as she walked off. Ive tried ringing alive but it rings out to a message service.

Surely there's some sort of body that can prevent this like?

Ring the litter warden and report the woman for littering. Tell them that she threw the magazine on your doorstep and you want her prosecuted.

Advertisement