Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭G1032

lewis wrote: »
    LOL, your some lad, we all know Insanity has all the best bits from nightlies, I use 182 dpi, speeds things up very nicely. Insanity on GB is better than Froyo.

It`s far from old man, when the nightlies are out, Insanity in right behind it, trimmed with just the best bits, :)

If you want multi dpi then fair enough. Not for me though. How ye getting on with the new baby? Sleeping through the night yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

G1032 wrote: »
    If you want multi dpi then fair enough. Not for me though. How ye getting on with the new baby? Sleeping through the night yet?

She is, we`re not, lol, thanks for asking tough. She`s a fairly good baby all the same, you got any kids?

She is, we`re not, lol, thanks for asking tough. She`s a fairly good baby all the same, you got any kids?

One baby girl. 4 months old. The days of trying out new ROMs every week are long gone!!!!! :)

One baby girl. 4 months old. The days of trying out new ROMs every week are long gone!!!!! :)

The days of trying out anything you like are long gone, hehehe. I have`nt drummed in AGES, it`s just a dust collector at the moment, damn pesky kids..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

some body PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME.....have a samsung i9oo, was great at first, then suddenly became ultra slow...its like it forgets wat you've asked it to do when u touch the screen...now it syncs with my laptop, but wont actually take new song on board....Im yayyyy close to bouncing it off the floor, but as it was a pressie i cant really......frustrated much???:mad:

• Advertisement

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    some body PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME.....have a samsung i9oo, was great at first, then suddenly became ultra slow...its like it forgets wat you've asked it to do when u touch the screen...now it syncs with my laptop, but wont actually take new song on board....Im yayyyy close to bouncing it off the floor, but as it was a pressie i cant really......frustrated much???:mad:

How about some info, like have you flashed anything, what where you doing, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Of course stock kernel is fine. I use it. What I don't get is why Insanity is there at all. It's just an out of date nightly, with multi dpi, which no one uses anyway unless they have xray vision. Insanity on Froyo was great. Now nitr8 is just a cod. Anyway its not anything worth arguing about. If you want an old nightly flash Insanity. As you said, each to her own.

I use the nightlies now with Multi-dpi. Nitrality still works on the nightlies.
    Granted I don't update every night. But more so than Insanity is released.

Ste- wrote: »
    I use the nightlies now with Multi-dpi. Nitrality still works on the nightlies.
    Granted I don't update every night. But more so than Insanity is released.

Stable CM 7.1 out now. I flashed that this morning and then #144 after.

Tell me this girls, with each update of the nightlies, do you notice any difference in anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Tell me this girls, with each update of the nightlies, do you notice any difference in anything?

Depends on what's been worked on.
    For example.

RingLock : Fix animation (android_frameworks_base)
    Removed accidental 1GHz UV, cypress fixes(android_device_samsung_galaxysmtd)
    ALarmClock : Lockscreen Fix (android_packages_apps_DeskClock)
    Fix setting connection status when switching profiles via 3rd party apps. (android_frameworks_base)
    Changelog UPDATE (android_vendor_cyanogen)
    Added Arrows to pressed ring bubbles to indicate selection. (android_frameworks_base)

You would notice difference in the build #144 with the above commits.
    The bolded fix might make a small difference to Oc/UV and/or battery but probably not. And is specific to the Galaxy S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Razedtothegroun

Any advantages of using a custom Rom over 2.3.5 that was just (unofficially) been released?

Anyone using it/opinions?

Any advantages of using a custom Rom over 2.3.5 that was just (unofficially) been released?

Anyone using it/opinions?

Well since its a custom ROM there lies all the advantages..make it yours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Back to DarkysRom and trying JVT. Seems good so far. We'll see about battery over the next couple days. I've added the honeycomb version on top which gives it the theme I've been looking for since Darkys froyo builds.

Thats like asking do you notice any difference with each update of Insanity..........:)

Changelog is released with each nightly. Sometimes very little will be done and I wouldn't bother updating. Other times you can see several changes. All depends really, but you can update as often or as little as you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Given up on insanity lads.

The issues I had were as follows.

Since updating to 42......

Market kept telling me random apps weren't compatible with my device.

Both my number calling out, and people calling me would display as ’unknown’ this isn't great for my job as I would be left unable to return a call as I couldn't see whom I had missed one from, also customers refusing to answer a call from me as I displayed as number unknown on their screen (making them think it was a spam call)

Couldn't get GPS fix, using jv5 modem, refused a lock on to satellite, currently on jv6 so will report how that behaves later.

Random loss of signal from network

On cyanogenmod at the minute, will see how I get on.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Given up on insanity lads.

The issues I had were as follows.

Since updating to 42......

Market kept telling me random apps weren't compatible with my device.

Both my number calling out, and people calling me would display as ’unknown’ this isn't great for my job as I would be left unable to return a call as I couldn't see whom I had missed one from, also customers refusing to answer a call from me as I displayed as number unknown on their screen (making them think it was a spam call)

Couldn't get GPS fix, using jv5 modem, refused a lock on to satellite, currently on jv6 so will report how that behaves later.

Random loss of signal from network

On cyanogenmod at the minute, will see how I get on.

I never went to 42, there was a few issues with it.

That's the new market for ya, you should have went back to the old one.

Did you have you're number sending set to show?
    Can't remember what and where it is exactly.

Don't mean to be a smart arse but did you have the callers phone numbers in you're contacts?

GPS and signal is down to modem, you usually have to try a few to find one that suits you.

I'm nearly done testing all on the modems, thank feck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Where is the water damage indicator on these phones?

Sully wrote: »
    Where is the water damage indicator on these phones?

It is indicated when the phone doesn't turn on, lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It is indicated when the phone doesn't turn on, lol

Some phones have a strip that changes colour or fades when water interacts with a phone, voiding the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Odin will flash what ever your flashing clean, so that way there`s no problems, but do what ever makes you comfortable...remember tough, it`s virtually impossible to "brick" (break) the SGS.
    nicebutdim wrote: »
    Just back on and saw your post

Lewis is definitely the expert ( or one of ;) ) on this thread. Can I suggest have a look at the video, there really isn't a lot more to it than that. I put it off for ages, and then decided to go for it. You can go from 2.1 to 2.3.4 if you need to. I'm really not tech savvy when it comes to phones so I reckon that if I can do it, most people should be able for it. Just back up what you'll need again and you'll be fine. I'm sure you ll get an answer here if you run into problems.

EDIT: Just to say that Kies is the biggest piece of crap in the history of technology ( aside from iTunes that is ! )

FINALLY got around to doing this (flashing 2.3.4 using Odin) and........it worked great! Cheers for the help guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I'm really liking this rom for the Galaxy. It's fast, stable and not pointlessly tarted-up

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258378&page=48

It's from the same guy who does the Galaxian kernal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Well guys,

I'm getting a brand new Samsung Galaxy S this week.

Any tips or tricks on essential things I should install or do to the phone to increase its performance?
    Thanks

thebison wrote: »
    Well guys,

I'm getting a brand new Samsung Galaxy S this week.

Any tips or tricks on essential things I should install or do to the phone to increase its performance?
    Thanks

Choose a custom ROM, there's plenty out there, just got to find one that suits you.

Choose a custom ROM, there's plenty out there, just got to find one that suits you.

Sorry mate, can you exlpain abit futher. I'm clueless when it comes to these kind of things :p

Sorry mate, can you exlpain abit futher. I'm clueless when it comes to these kind of things :p

Well when a man and woman get together things happen, lol..basically custom ROMS is firmware without all the crap (bloat ware) that is in a stock ROM, which is what you have.
    They can improve battery/performance/look of the phone, its what Android is all about.

Well when a man and woman get together things happen, lol..basically custom ROMS is firmware without all the crap (bloat ware) that is in a stock ROM, which is what you have.
    They can improve battery/performance/look of the phone, its what Android is all about.

haha cheers...I've heard Gingerbread is one of the best ones? Also its safe & easy to install??

Would I be correct?

Anyone recommend me a good one?

Also is there a guide on how to do it?

haha cheers...I've heard Gingerbread is one of the best ones? Also its safe & easy to install??

Would I be correct?

Anyone recommend me a good one?

Also is there a guide on how to do it?

GB is good, but you could also find Froyo good, down to personnel preference.
    When anyone flashes anything, there is no 100% guarantee, that's why your should read, read, read and read some more.
    The SGS is virtually impossible to wreck or"brick", there's always a method to fix something that's gone wrong.
    Go to XDA, look for your phone and have a look through the ROMS and try one.
    Ever ROM has its own instructions with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

zhayat wrote: »
    Hi there

I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone running Android 2.3 Gingerbread and have the exact same problem with an sms message that refuses to go away.I've deleted the sms but the notification still persists even after rebooting my phone.The message is:"you have entered an invalid address.Please correct the recipient(s) or they will not receive the message.Please help!

Thanks

Its not the viber setup message by any chance is it? I had a similar issue last month with that on my galaxy s..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 zhayat

No but I just got this message on my phone now when trying to open an sms notification.The message will not go away can you help with this?What was your fix...

• Advertisement

zhayat wrote: »
    No but I just got this message on my phone now when trying to open an sms notification.The message will not go away can you help with this?What was your fix...

Do use the stock SMS?

If you long press the actual message you should be able to delete it from there.

Advertisement