Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

no unless it did it automatically without me knowing, nut i certinly never approved any update, nor did it ask any permission

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

No, it would have had to have been connected to the Kies PC software so that isn't the cause.. Have you tried simply turning it off and on, the battery depletion seems to vary quite a lot on my galaxy s, when i seems to be going down unusually fast, i simply need to turn it off and on, although seeing as your is brand new, thats less likely the problem..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

subscriber wrote: »
    Hi all,

have the samsung s plus for a about a week now and i know android phones are heavy on battery but this is taking the pi** altogether. I had it fully charged yesterday over night, and after using the internet for about 20 mins and a phone call that lasted about half an hour, the battery was almost completely depleted and i had to recharge it again. that was two full charges in the space of about 15 or so hours, also bearing in mind that i turned the data network off after i finished using the net.

Is this normal battery life for the galaxy s, if so its a disgrace!!! Sure how could anyone get a days use out of it even with normal non abusive level of use??

I looked into currently running applications and found settings(11mb), DRM content(1.5mb), android system(1.6mb) task manager (1.8mb) google services(11mb) email (4.5mb) samsung keypad (22mb).

Out of the ones listed there, they seem to be the bare essentials that make the phone run so I cant see anything excessive there....

Anything i am missing or any useful tips on how to optimize the battery life cause Im not going to be able to charge the damm thing twice every day...???

To solve it, flash a custom ROM, end of problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

If you want to stick with the officially supported software, my battery life dramatically improved after upgrading to latest version of software via Kies.
    Hi all,

have the samsung s plus for a about a week now and i know android phones are heavy on battery but this is taking the pi** altogether. I had it fully charged yesterday over night, and after using the internet for about 20 mins and a phone call that lasted about half an hour, the battery was almost completely depleted and i had to recharge it again. that was two full charges in the space of about 15 or so hours, also bearing in mind that i turned the data network off after i finished using the net.

Is this normal battery life for the galaxy s, if so its a disgrace!!! Sure how could anyone get a days use out of it even with normal non abusive level of use??

I looked into currently running applications and found settings(11mb), DRM content(1.5mb), android system(1.6mb) task manager (1.8mb) google services(11mb) email (4.5mb) samsung keypad (22mb).

Out of the ones listed there, they seem to be the bare essentials that make the phone run so I cant see anything excessive there....

Anything i am missing or any useful tips on how to optimize the battery life cause Im not going to be able to charge the damm thing twice every day...???

lewis wrote: »
    To solve it, flash a custom ROM, end of problem.

no idea what flash a custom rom means, could u elaborate ?

• Advertisement

no idea what flash a custom rom means, could u elaborate ?

Its firmware that's trimmed down, so it increases battery life, performance, looks, speed.
    Go to xda.com, put in you're phone model and get a cup of tea, cause your in for a lot of reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Evening all!

Is there any reason why 4.0 wouldn't work on the Galaxy S, and any word on when it will be released please ?s

Thanks

* 5 days without a post on this thread must be near a record

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Evening all!

Is there any reason why 4.0 wouldn't work on the Galaxy S, and any word on when it will be released please ?s

Thanks

* 5 days without a post on this thread must be near a record

Google is your friend..

Thanks Lewis... I was just watching the vid near the bottom of that page when i came back here. It looks awesome, the only concern for me is the issue with the bluetooth...need it for my car. I m sure it ll be fixed soon

Has anyone tried ICS yet? I'd love to hear what you think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Has anyone tried ICS yet? I'd love to hear what you think

Upgraded from the Galaxy S to the new Nexus - absolutely love it.
    I'd never flashed my Galaxy so even not having the Samsung bloatware on the Nexus makes such a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

On the question of an official ICS release for this phone, i reckon it will have to come. Look at the Galaxy s Plus, despite the fact that its a 2010 phone, technically, if someone buys it , they are still buying a €300 smartphone well capable of running ICS. In that scenario, i'd be wanting the phone to be supported for a while. At minimum, that would be an ICS upgrade...

is and body else aware of this problem with the galaxy s where wen trying to set up your google account to sync with your phone it says "connecting to network, this make take up to several minutes" and then "couldnt establish a reliable network connection, if problem still persists please contact your network operator"

I have the S for 3 weeks now and still have not been able to sync my google account to to my phone. I have repeatedly gotten the same error message.

This is pretty bad form considering u need to be able to sync ur google account in order to access the android market and a lot of the phones other basic features. So essentially i have a large screen phone that might as well be a nokia 3210 with no access to the basic features of the phone. I have read others have also encountered this problem, but yet to see a solution to the issue. Cannot figure out what to do about this, the acc should theoretically sync with no problems as there is a network connection and i am able to use the data support so not sure where the problem exsists.

anybody else experience this problem and have any solution?

What have you done with the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Raoul wrote: »

To early man, still in beta stage and its mentioned that its not for daily use, so I'd imagine there's a few things still not working.

To early man, still in beta stage and its mentioned that its not for daily use, so I'd imagine there's a few things still not working.

Hmm...its tempting though!

Hmm...its tempting though!

Sure as long a you have a backup you'll be fine, give it a go and let us know what not working.

Sure as long a you have a backup you'll be fine, give it a go and let us know what not working.
    I don't have time at the moment. Maybe at the weekend. Hopefully it will be much better by then. I actually read reports that already it is better than JVT.

is and body else aware of this problem with the galaxy s where wen trying to set up your google account to sync with your phone it says "connecting to network, this make take up to several minutes" and then "couldnt establish a reliable network connection, if problem still persists please contact your network operator"

I have the S for 3 weeks now and still have not been able to sync my google account to to my phone. I have repeatedly gotten the same error message.

This is pretty bad form considering u need to be able to sync ur google account in order to access the android market and a lot of the phones other basic features. So essentially i have a large screen phone that might as well be a nokia 3210 with no access to the basic features of the phone. I have read others have also encountered this problem, but yet to see a solution to the issue. Cannot figure out what to do about this, the acc should theoretically sync with no problems as there is a network connection and i am able to use the data support so not sure where the problem exsists.

anybody else experience this problem and have any solution?

I know that this is a simple fix. I had this problem too. Did you buy from CPW ? Check your apn s for data and mms are correct. I.m fecked if i can remember the answer but I reckon that its in this thread somewhere. It.s probably something like a factory reset. Sorry... Not much help

• Advertisement

Right, I just had a quick look over the modem notes I have been testing and there`s way to many for me to have the time to sort them out, so I`ll just post up it as I left it, it`s a bit of a mess but heh better than nothing....hope it helps out at least one person, lol.

The sats in GPS Test are "in view" sats, most of the sats where fairly equal in both "in view" and "in use"..also phone/wi-fi signals where practically the same for all of the modems, very little in the difference...

Right, I just had a quick look over the modem notes I have been testing and there`s way to many for me to have the time to sort them out, so I`ll just post up it as I left it, it`s a bit of a mess but heh better than nothing....hope it helps out at least one person, lol.

The sats in GPS Test are "in view" sats, most of the sats where fairly equal in both "in view" and "in use"..also phone/wi-fi signals where practically the same for all of the modems, very little in the difference...

Great work. Seems jv7 is the best?

I am getting very tempted by ics this past day or 2

Great work. Seems jv7 is the best?

I am getting very tempted by ics this past day or 2

It seems to be coming along fairly good, but I'm still holding out for a bit longer.

It seems to be coming along fairly good, but I'm still holding out for a bit longer.

Think I will go for it if I get a chance. If worse comes to worse I can always just flash back to insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Reckon I'm going to go ahead and go with this tomorrow.

Thinking onecosmics builds over pawtips ?

Ste- wrote: »
    Reckon I'm going to go ahead and go with this tomorrow.

Thinking onecosmics builds over pawtips ?

Whats pawtips?

I am not sure where the instructions for installing it are. I am on insanity. can you find them?

Its not that clear, or else maybe I keep missing a section

Edit - Do you just follow this post:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19563068&postcount=1839 and then flash the new beta

Ste- wrote: »

Pretty painless to flash it. Took less than ten min after I downloaded it all. Not sure how good it is yet. It isn't picking up my wireless signal that well.

Pretty painless to flash it. Took less than ten min after I downloaded it all. Not sure how good it is yet. It isn't picking up my wireless signal that well.

Which did you go with ?
    Did you backup all your apps before flashing ?

Have the Christmas Party tomorrow so don't want my phone bricked till I can get home tbh.

• Advertisement

Went with onecosmics. To be honest it really took less than ten min and was a lot easier than insanity or darky.

No I didn't back up anything. I don't have that many apps so I just install them fresh each time.

Edit - can't figure out how to zoom on the camera.

Advertisement