Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭lifehijack

The latest is JVT though. It offers a lag free browser, other than that, I dont see any major change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭G1032

lifehijack wrote: »
    The latest is JVT though. It offers a lag free browser, other than that, I dont see any major change.

They're not talking about ROMS.:)
    They're trying out modems to see can they get better battery life/GPS signal/Data signal etc.

Lads
    Still can't beat ZSJV5. There is a ZSJV5 radio for CM7 too.

FWIW I ditched CM7 2 weeks ago just to see what a Sammy JVT was like.
    So flashed stock JVT, flashed Semaphore Kernel, applied the latest Supercharger script and a theme from some dude on XDA and its as fast and smooth as CM7. Sammy stock has come a long way in the last year. I really can't get over how fast and smooth it is.
    Even go to Settings>Applications>Manage applications and they all load instantly, just like CM7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Yeah I found jv5 excellent when I was on it.
    Are you referring to the one on the insanity page though? If so, I could never manage to Getty any life out of it.

If you have a link for another one though, please share!

Ta

Ghandee wrote: »
    Yeah I found jv5 excellent when I was on it.
    Are you referring to the one on the insanity page though? If so, I could never manage to Getty any life out of it.

If you have a link for another one though, please share!

Ta
    No, not the one on Insanity page. IIRC that one is JHJV5.

I think that the JV5 in post #2 here is ZSJV5.

You can also try this link and you'll find ZSJV5 at post #459.

Try them 2 links anyway. If you can't get ZSJV5 I will upload it here for you when I get home from work

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Evening Gents and ladies!

Just flashing JVT with Odin and the installation seems to have stalled...Odin is bringing up the below after starting.....now stalled on the last line below for about 10 mins. Don't want unplug but getting nervous.... followed the instructions to the word...any advice welcome....thanks

<ID:0/003> Added!!
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> CODE_I9000XXJVT_CL617736_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> MODEM_I9000XXJVT_REV_00_CL1064602.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> GT-I9000-CSC-MULTI-OXAJVT.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
    <ID:0/003> File analysis..
    <ID:0/003> SetupConnection..

Fix to get back into Download mode here!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_Series#Bricked_Screen

• Advertisement

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Evening Gents and ladies!

Just flashing JVT with Odin and the installation seems to have stalled...Odin is bringing up the below after starting.....now stalled on the last line below for about 10 mins. Don't want unplug but getting nervous.... followed the instructions to the word...any advice welcome....thanks

<ID:0/003> Added!!
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> CODE_I9000XXJVT_CL617736_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> MODEM_I9000XXJVT_REV_00_CL1064602.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> GT-I9000-CSC-MULTI-OXAJVT.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
    <ID:0/003> File analysis..
    <ID:0/003> SetupConnection..

Fix to get back into Download mode here!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_Series#Bricked_Screen

Did you get sorted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

The whole process should take no longer than 20 minutes, the actual Odin flash should be around the 3-4 minutes, it's the reboot that usually takes a while.

It's tricky to know what to do what your in this situation.

lewis wrote: »
    The whole process should take no longer than 20 minutes, the actual Odin flash should be around the 3-4 minutes, it's the reboot that usually takes a while.

It's tricky to know what to do what your in this situation.

What modem are you on these days Lewis?

What modem are you on these days Lewis?

UGJK3, it's fairly good, I've I think 2 more left then that's it, I'll pick the best one and go with that.

UGJK3, it's fairly good, I've I think 2 more left then that's it, I'll pick the best one and go with that.

Am back on jv5 thanks to G1032, have just done a gps test and had 8 satellites in view with 24ft accuracy, now, I did this test from inside my office (well a portakabin :D) am headed off to see a customer soon on northwall quay , Dublin. Gonna see how the satnave gets me there.....

Be sure and post your results man!

BTW, are ye back to work yet, or still doing the midnight feeding lol?

Ah, how I miss the midnight bottles.........

(of beer ^^^^)

Now its bed at 10pm these days, 14 month old up at six most mornings lol......

• Advertisement

Am back on jv5 thanks to G1032, have just done a gps test and had 8 satellites in view with 24ft accuracy, now, I did this test from inside my office (well a portakabin :D) am headed off to see a customer soon on northwall quay , Dublin. Gonna see how the satnave gets me there.....

Be sure and post your results man!

BTW, are ye back to work yet, or still doing the midnight feeding lol?

Ah, how I miss the midnight bottles.........

(of beer ^^^^)

Now its bed at 10pm these days, 14 month old up at six most mornings lol......

I'll post up all my results.

I'll be a stay at home daddy for a while man, midnight bottles not to bad, it's the 3am ones that are the killer.
    Also got a chest infection, so it's bed at 9, lol.

It's hell here, a 1 year old and a month old, always on the go, Christ I have a create of bud there and it hasn't been touched, just a dust collector.
    The easiest get away is on me phone, lol, sad ain't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

G1032 wrote: »
    Did you get sorted?

Yes thanks....did require a change of underwear when I saw the dreaded black screen of death !

I pulled out the battery and got the black screen of death ( phone--!--PC ). I did a bit of hunting around the net ( googling words like bricked, expensive and panic ) and found the link I posted above. It gives a couple of suggested solutions and the one that worked for me was the second one to open Odin and get back into the download mode. ( Open odin. Then connect your usb cable to your phone and computer. While the USB is plugged in and Odin running press and hold volume down + Home + Power. Once the black screen comes (flashes) release the Power Button. It should get into download mode ). I reflashed the XXJVR I had on my PC and all was well again thankfully. I probably did something wrong ( maybe used the wrong CODE file...there were 2 CODE files on the download I took from XDA. )

Anyway, I got a new Zip of stock XXJVT from Androidadvices and had another go. Worked fine this time, although I'm not convinced that JVT is any better than JVR. Battery life seems better and phone slicker but not basing this on anything scientific. I can't get into the Market but I believe that this a problem for loads of people. Will research it and fix !

I posted up a link to a handy app, you can choose between the old and the new market, very handy.

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Yes thanks....did require a change of underwear when I saw the dreaded black screen of death !

I pulled out the battery and got the black screen of death ( phone--!--PC ). I did a bit of hunting around the net ( googling words like bricked, expensive and panic ) and found the link I posted above. It gives a couple of suggested solutions and the one that worked for me was the second one to open Odin and get back into the download mode. ( Open odin. Then connect your usb cable to your phone and computer. While the USB is plugged in and Odin running press and hold volume down + Home + Power. Once the black screen comes (flashes) release the Power Button. It should get into download mode ). I reflashed the XXJVR I had on my PC and all was well again thankfully. I probably did something wrong ( maybe used the wrong CODE file...there were 2 CODE files on the download I took from XDA. )

Anyway, I got a new Zip of stock XXJVT from Androidadvices and had another go. Worked fine this time, although I'm not convinced that JVT is any better than JVR. Battery life seems better and phone slicker but not basing this on anything scientific. I can't get into the Market but I believe that this a problem for loads of people. Will research it and fix !

It's just a guess here at what might have happened you but had you Odin open before or after you connected your phone to the PC?
    You must have Odin opened before you connect your phone to the PC.
    Connecting your phone to PC and then opening Odin will cause problems.........happened me before and got a soft brick and like yourself I nearly had a heart attack!! Phone was only a few weeks old IIRC.

For the Market issue: I just let the Market update to the new version then froze the marrket updater.apk with Titanium Backup. Then went to settings>applications>manage applications and uninstalled updates for the market. Rebooted phone and bingo, back to the old market again.

JVT is better than JVR. Better battery life and it's noticably faster too. Stock JVT with Semaphore Kernel is as fast and smooth as CM7. In fact I don't get any mini lags playing games like Angry Birds and racing games like I used to with CM7. Thought I'd never ditch CM7 cos of the speed but on stock JVT for a couple+ weeks now and have no intention of going back to CM7

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭AE86JAY

Can somebody please post up there exact MMS and Internet settings for Meteor please, I lost my settings somehow and the ones on there website dosnt work for me, I'm on Darky if anyone reckons that might be causing probs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

AE86JAY wrote: »
    Can somebody please post up there exact MMS and Internet settings for Meteor please, I lost my settings somehow and the ones on there website dosnt work for me, I'm on Darky if anyone reckons that might be causing probs?

if u get them let us know.mine haven't worked for ages.

When I was using Darkys ages ago I always had major problems with my MMS, I was even talking with O2 themelves and it worked twice and that's it.

I did a quick search and of course the main settings that came up where from Meteor.

Stupid question you sure you have them in correctly?

The minute I moved to Insanity and I tried my MMS they worked and have worked ever since...

When I was using Darkys ages ago I always had major problems with my MMS, I was even talking with O2 themelves and it worked twice and that's it.

I did a quick search and of course the main settings that came up where from Meteor.

Stupid question you sure you have them in correctly?

The minute I moved to Insanity and I tried my MMS they worked and have worked ever since...
    Yep, I have them in properly, I was on hols few months back and my settings got messed up and remember finding "unofficial" Meteor settings that some guy used and it worked for me and cant find it now,Do you guys reckon this is Darky related?

Hard to say, everyones phones act almost act differently with ROMS.
    Have you tried talking to one of the mods on the meteor forum?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Used to have Darkys installed, on Vodafone meself. Rarely used MMS but when I did, never really had problems with it meself.

Maybe if I used it more frequently I might have.

• Advertisement

Ok found the problem, biggest facepalm alert coming up :), In the "Mobile network settings" "Use packet data" wasnt ticked, I ticked it and used the settings off the Meteor site, The net seems to work but MMS is still a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Has anyone else had issues with the touch screen on their galaxy s ?

This is my second phone and some times the screen does its own thing, randomly typing away of it's own accord or flickering away from bright to dull and back again. Often if im typing and for example press "m" another letter will pop up even one nowhere near the one I pressed so its not fat finger syndrome.

Its more annoying than anything and as I ve experienced it on two phones am wondering if its a software issue and is there a fix for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Even a tiny bit of moisture will cause that, ie sweaty finger or raindrop.

AE86JAY wrote: »

I know you got it sorted but in case you need them again, the Meteor Internet settings are attached:

Hard to say, everyones phones act almost act differently with ROMS.
    Have you tried talking to one of the mods on the meteor forum?

ive installed insanity and i think it works very well nice and snappy and i was wondering if you would answer a few questions please.

1 there are still traces of darkys rom on the phone.how do i get rid of them completely?
    2 the camera is awful compared to darkys.where would i get darkys one or where would i get a simillar one?the market?

cheers i appreciate the help if you answer lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Lads, slight issue with my galaxy s. A couple of weeks ago i installed an apn switch app, However in the days after it i noticed my phone was getting very slow, so i uninstalled it. I also noticed that the app in question had been removed from the market, so it was obviously causing problems for a few people.

However after the uninstallation, i noticed that i could no longer access data over the network, meaning the only way i can now get on the internet is with wifi. I can only guess that the whatever block the app buts on the apn is still in effect, blocking me from accessing the internet. A pretty annoying problem as you can imagine. Any idea what could solve this?

Regards
    Michael

Never mind, managed to sort that out by simply resetting the apn's to default, silly me.. :rolleyes:..

G1032 wrote: »
    I know you got it sorted but in case you need them again, the Meteor Internet settings are attached:

thanks a million these worked and are working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Hi all,

have the samsung s plus for a about a week now and i know android phones are heavy on battery but this is taking the pi** altogether. I had it fully charged yesterday over night, and after using the internet for about 20 mins and a phone call that lasted about half an hour, the battery was almost completely depleted and i had to recharge it again. that was two full charges in the space of about 15 or so hours, also bearing in mind that i turned the data network off after i finished using the net.

Is this normal battery life for the galaxy s, if so its a disgrace!!! Sure how could anyone get a days use out of it even with normal non abusive level of use??

I looked into currently running applications and found settings(11mb), DRM content(1.5mb), android system(1.6mb) task manager (1.8mb) google services(11mb) email (4.5mb) samsung keypad (22mb).

Out of the ones listed there, they seem to be the bare essentials that make the phone run so I cant see anything excessive there....

Anything i am missing or any useful tips on how to optimize the battery life cause Im not going to be able to charge the damm thing twice every day...???

• Advertisement

That does sound awful tbh, did you do a software update or anything since you got it?

Advertisement