Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

lewis wrote: »
    LOL....no.

You just need to look at the both threads on XDA, you`ll find more posts related to cons from Darky`s then you would in Insanity`s.

Insanity is solid!

Hold on a minute here now lewis................
    You're complainig on XDA about funny colours on your screen. Is it stable or is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Well you would say that Lewis.To much xda is bad for you.Can you not accept that darkys is just as good as insanity.It all depends what you want.Apples v Oranges.The Darkys and insanity threads on Boards are very quiet,everybody's happy with their Rom, Love and peace man.

Ehhhhhhh....no, lol
    G1032 wrote: »
    Hi
    My name is G1032 and it's been 3 weeks since I last flashed a ROM.....:)

Gonna try Insanity again.

What's best Kernel?

Anyone use the SuperCharger script with Insanity? If so have there been any issues with it?

LOL!!

Platypus V5 seems to do the job.

I use that script and yeah it the best I`ve used, no issues with it.
    Hold on a minute here now lewis................
    You're complainig on XDA about funny colours on your screen. Is it stable or is it not?

Complaining...far from it, just something weird that happened, I thought I`d throw it up there, I had downloaded GPS Aids and it was acting weird, so I got rid of it. I`m always messing with anything GPS....I don`t know why I hardly use it, lol.

It`s not the ROM that`s for sure, app related, :)

Well back on Insanity. Painless flash. We'll see how it goes.
    Now just gotta wait and test the GPS and make sure the modem is OK. I will leave it with the stock kernel I think. Don't need to OC/UV or anything like that.
    I have forgotten how to theme it. Better go figure that out now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

:confused: It does keep a track of your downloads/purchases in between wipes.........
    Apps are just linked to your gmail a/c..............

Must have been a weird bug that was cropping up on mine then, have had to wipe my phone twice since I bought it and my Market App hasn't kept track of apps downloaded before each wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Well back on Insanity. Painless flash. We'll see how it goes.
    Now just gotta wait and test the GPS and make sure the modem is OK. I will leave it with the stock kernel I think. Don't need to OC/UV or anything like that.
    I have forgotten how to theme it. Better go figure that out now

You need to download teh package via nitrality. (Theme chooser)
    Then go to your app drawer and select theme chooser.
    You can also download some .apks from here.

• Advertisement

Ste- wrote: »
    You need to download teh package via nitrality. (Theme chooser)
    Then go to your app drawer and select theme chooser.
    You can also download some .apks from here.

Ah ya. Remember now. Cheers.

Of all the themes that are there, I only have 3 that I like, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Raoul

Of all the themes that are there, I only have 3 that I like, lol.

What are they?

Raoul wrote: »
    What are they?

Steel Blue being my fav, Rover Blue, Red Remix,

Seems I have a little more than 3, also here are Crystal(still a work in progress), Blue Bionic and finally, of course Insane theme...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Raoul

Steel Blue being my fav, Rover Blue, Red Remix,

Seems I have a little more than 3, also here are Crystal(still a work in progress), Blue Bionic and finally, of course Insane theme...

What launcher and stuff do you use?

Like when I load these on, it doesn't really make that much difference cos the theme doesnt really affect go launcher.

Or do you change the dock and various things?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,073 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

guys can i ask for some advice please... my galaxy S is driving me mad.

Its loosing its battery life in 8 hours. Today for example i took 2 phone calls, made one.. about 3 mintues total... send a few texts... no internet, no gaming. That cannot be correct, can it??
    I check my battery status on first alert of low battery and it showed "android OS" had used 40% battery life, and "maps" had used 20%. I always have mylocation and GPS turned off.
    This is getting very frustrating

The second issue is even more, but i think its a hardware issue. My camera seems fcuked. The lens seems to be damaged in that it only shows things in a kind of psychedlic purple / pinkish hew. Ill post a pic if someone wants an example. Before i go to the store.. any advice as to what it can be? My 'reverse' video cam works fine... thats why i think its probably hardware.

Raoul wrote: »
    What launcher and stuff do you use?

Like when I load these on, it doesn't really make that much difference cos the theme doesnt really affect go launcher.

Or do you change the dock and various things?

I`m on LPP at the moment, the reason being it that I really like it`s FB/message and calendar widgets and how you can theme them, there scrollable widgets are great!

Most launchers have there own themes just for them, CM ROM themes or how ever you put it, will theme area`s like setting`s/notification bar, some may even do some icon`s and market.

Depending on what wallpaper I have I`ll make dock/widgets to suit, weather that means using Desktop Visualizer or Minimalistic, I try to match all the colours to each other, I like the blue..
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    guys can i ask for some advice please... my galaxy S is driving me mad.

Its loosing its battery life in 8 hours. Today for example i took 2 phone calls, made one.. about 3 mintues total... send a few texts... no internet, no gaming. That cannot be correct, can it??
    I check my battery status on first alert of low battery and it showed "android OS" had used 40% battery life, and "maps" had used 20%. I always have mylocation and GPS turned off.
    This is getting very frustrating

The second issue is even more, but i think its a hardware issue. My camera seems fcuked. The lens seems to be damaged in that it only shows things in a kind of psychedlic purple / pinkish hew. Ill post a pic if someone wants an example. Before i go to the store.. any advice as to what it can be? My 'reverse' video cam works fine... thats why i think its probably hardware.

Give us some more info as to what you have on your phone?

Throw up some pictures, all the settings are still at default??

Are CM7 kernels just flashed through CWM?

Are CM7 kernels just flashed through CWM?

Yep, There is talk of an app to flash teh kernels much like SGS kernel flasher for stock custom roms. But for CM7 for now you must use CWM or the like (Nitrality)

Give us some more info as to what you have on your phone?

Throw up some pictures, all the settings are still at default??

ive uploaded an example

ive very little added on my phone since i got it.

application wise i have autocad WS, adobe reader and a crap compass.

others include some free games, some news sites, some audio books... thats about it.

ive uploaded an example

others include some free games, some news sites, some audio books... thats about it.

Trippy!
    Download a camera app from the market, if same thing applies it's hardware and yous hould return your phone.
    Camera FX being one. or even barcode scanner.

Yep, There is talk of an app to flash teh kernels much like SGS kernel flasher for stock custom roms. But for CM7 for now you must use CWM or the like (Nitrality)

Cheers
    I perfer not to use Kernel Flasher becasue then I can't use lippol's cleaning script............
    CWM suits me just fine

Trippy!
    Download a camera app from the market, if same thing applies it's hardware and yous hould return your phone.
    Camera FX being one. or even barcode scanner.

yeah i actually did download beetag and its the same thing.

ive uploaded an example

Two options for ya, either the kid needs to see a doctor or like what`s been said, it`s hardware related.

Have you flashed many or anything on it yet?
    yeah i actually did download beetag and its the same thing.

Is the video camera the same, both in viewing and after recording?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I got a new replacement Galaxy S but it appears that the screen is way too bright (even on the lowest setting) :(

I downloaded screen filter which helps a lot but that annoying icon on the top of the notificiation bar is annoying!

• Advertisement

Two options for ya, either the kid needs to see a doctor or like what`s been said, it`s hardware related.

ill be visiting the store this week and see what they say.

Have you flashed many or anything on it yet?

nothing, because im not very tech savy and i don't know what flashing is (apart from the obvious :P )
    Is the video camera the same, both in viewing and after recording?

Its the same both in viewing and recording.

Just a quick note on the battery usage, i think ive sorted it.
    I simply turned wifi off, i used to have it on all the time, and ive wifi at home and in work so it was always connecting. Its made a huge difference!
    Whereas my battery was dying after 9 hrs of minimal use... i actually still had 75% battery power yesterday. I plugged back in last night after 18 hrs with still having 35% remaining. so im very happy on that front now :)

angel01 wrote: »
    I got a new replacement Galaxy S but it appears that the screen is way too bright (even on the lowest setting) :(

I downloaded screen filter which helps a lot but that annoying icon on the top of the notificiation bar is annoying!

Set it up with Minimalistic Text, that way its all neat and tidy.

Won't she still have the icon in the notification area tho ?

Won't she still have the icon in the notification area tho ?

Nope. Cause your using it through MT...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

redlead wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about the Android update to 2.3 on the Galaxy S? It was supposed to be pushed out months ago by Samsung but I haven't heard anything about it. Is the Galaxy S still getting this? Is it worthwhile to download?

Not sure that this was answered so....

Check these out...you can get a stock Gingerbread 2.3.4 Build XXJVR by checking this out..it's dead easy, just take your time and follow the instructions carefully. I did this a couple of nights ago and it was simple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLXQn0gOBuA - video
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1139050 - very simple guide .... download the files and off you go.

( Video mentions XXJVP but XDA files are XXJVR .... makes no difference to the instillation... )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Lads, maybe you can help me. I've had my SGS a year now and it's time I updated my Android! I'm still on the 2.1 that came with it so want to get to 2.3. However, there's a problem - the utterly, hilariously useless piece of **** crapware that is Samsung Kies! My first (unsuccessful) tussle with it many months ago left me so mentally scarred that it is only now that I am trying again to update my phone! And despite spending much of yesterday trying all sorts of rituals to get that malware to actually WORK, no joy. Now, I know this has come up here before but there seems to be no definite answer. I have given up on Kies as I do not believe it CAN be used to update my phone. I understand that you can copy files onto the onboard SD card to update the OS but am unsure how to go about it. Can anyone help?! And apologies if this has been answered before.

Lads, maybe you can help me. I've had my SGS a year now and it's time I updated my Android! I'm still on the 2.1 that came with it so want to get to 2.3. However, there's a problem - the utterly, hilariously useless piece of **** crapware that is Samsung Kies! My first (unsuccessful) tussle with it many months ago left me so mentally scarred that it is only now that I am trying again to update my phone! And despite spending much of yesterday trying all sorts of rituals to get that malware to actually WORK, no joy. Now, I know this has come up here before but there seems to be no definite answer. I have given up on Kies as I do not believe it CAN be used to update my phone. I understand that you can copy files onto the onboard SD card to update the OS but am unsure how to go about it. Can anyone help?! And apologies if this has been answered before.

Have a look above your post man...there lies your answer.
    As you may know there are a few different Android versions out there, most are basically the same..

Forget about Kies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Have a look above your post man...there lies your answer.
    As you may know there are a few different Android versions out there, most are basically the same..

Forget about Kies.

Yeah, saw that. However (i) I think I need to go to 2.2 before 2.3 (or at least that's what Kies said! (ii) previous experience with XDA on my old WinMo phone suggests that things are rarely as simple as they initially appear to be with rooting etc. Prefer to not do it if possible (not sure if you can avoid this route though if not using Kies).

Yeah, saw that. However (i) I think I need to go to 2.2 before 2.3 (or at least that's what Kies said! (ii) previous experience with XDA on my old WinMo phone suggests that things are rarely as simple as they initially appear to be with rooting etc. Prefer to not do it if possible (not sure if you can avoid this route though if not using Kies).

Odin will flash what ever your flashing clean, so that way there`s no problems, but do what ever makes you comfortable...remember tough, it`s virtually impossible to "brick" (break) the SGS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Just back on and saw your post

Lewis is definitely the expert ( or one of ;) ) on this thread. Can I suggest have a look at the video, there really isn't a lot more to it than that. I put it off for ages, and then decided to go for it. You can go from 2.1 to 2.3.4 if you need to. I'm really not tech savvy when it comes to phones so I reckon that if I can do it, most people should be able for it. Just back up what you'll need again and you'll be fine. I'm sure you ll get an answer here if you run into problems.

EDIT: Just to say that Kies is the biggest piece of crap in the history of technology ( aside from iTunes that is ! )

Advertisement