Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

lewis wrote: »
    She be shtock then, seriously, read up on flashing a ROM.

ok, but will that make my phone work with the bluetooth headsets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ok, but will that make my phone work with the bluetooth headsets?

If you have`nt already take it to the shop where you got it and if they can`t do anything for you then, custom ROM`s have been known to fix and improve many things, when I was on stock my GPS never worked, now it works like a charm....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

If you have`nt already take it to the shop where you got it and if they can`t do anything for you then, custom ROM`s have been known to fix and improve many things, when I was on stock my GPS never worked, now it works like a charm....

Just to note... I have darkys and tried it with the ford mondeo and it didn't work. Wouldnt work with stock either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I am moving to emobile.

I was reluctant because I like my Iphone. But I have been hearing that the Samsung Galaxy S is a superior
    phone. - http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/phones/details/?id=66

Is that the latest Galaxy phone ?

Is it mainly superior to the Iphone ?

Is it the best phone available with emobile ? (attached another phone below that seems pretty good aswell)

http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/phones/details/?id=68

I am not very knowledgable on phones but just want another mobile similar to my Iphone. I have no care for brand, just for quality of phone. If the Galaxy is the best, I am happy to go with it. I understand that all my Iphone stuff will be useless or not usable on the new phone.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭cantalach

Drumpot wrote: »

Asking a question like that on an Android thread is like walking into a mosque, saying that you are thinking of embracing Islam, and asking people if they thought it was mainly superior to Judaism.

• Advertisement

cantalach wrote: »
    Asking a question like that on an Android thread is like walking into a mosque, saying that you are thinking of embracing Islam, and asking people if they thought it was mainly superior to Judaism.

So you suggest I goto Mobile & PDA's section for more objective advice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

So you suggest I goto Mobile & PDA's section for more objective advice ?

Out of the box iPhone is slicker.

Feature wise, IMO, Android is better and the Galaxy S is an excellent Android phone.... Once you tweak it. Out of the box I was disappointed with mine but now that I have flashed an unoffical ROM I am delighted with it.

Having said that, a lad I work with uses his out of the box and is perfectly happy with it. I say go get the Galaxy S and if it turns out you're not happy, don't worry. Come on here and we'll tell you how to get the best out of it.

How do you load a boot animation on darkys rom?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Raoul wrote: »
    How do you load a boot animation on darkys rom?

Find the one you want and copy it with Root explorer into System/Media/ making sure it's named bootanimation.zip also you have to mark your system as R/W.

Ste- wrote: »
    Find the one you want and copy it with Root explorer into System/Media/ making sure it's named bootanimation.zip also you have to mark your system as R/W.
    What you mean mark my system as r/w?

Seen this in the guides and didn't get that at all.

Also when you say root explorer? Do you mean just copying it into that folder on the pc? :confused:

• Advertisement

budgemook wrote: »
    Out of the box iPhone is slicker.

Feature wise, IMO, Android is better and the Galaxy S is an excellent Android phone.... Once you tweak it. Out of the box I was disappointed with mine but now that I have flashed an unoffical ROM I am delighted with it.

Having said that, a lad I work with uses his out of the box and is perfectly happy with it. I say go get the Galaxy S and if it turns out you're not happy, don't worry. Come on here and we'll tell you how to get the best out of it.

Thanks for the help. Will prob be back here in 2 weeks !

Just to note... I have darkys and tried it with the ford mondeo and it didn't work. Wouldnt work with stock either.

Probably the car then, get a new one, lol
    I am moving to emobile.

I was reluctant because I like my Iphone. But I have been hearing that the Samsung Galaxy S is a superior
    phone. - http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/phones/details/?id=66

Is that the latest Galaxy phone ?

Is it the best phone available with emobile ? (attached another phone below that seems pretty good aswell)

http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/phones/details/?id=68

I am not very knowledgable on phones but just want another mobile similar to my Iphone. I have no care for brand, just for quality of phone. If the Galaxy is the best, I am happy to go with it. I understand that all my Iphone stuff will be useless or not usable on the new phone.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think the big difference between the two is the iphone is an out of the box ready to go phone, where as the SGS is highly customisable, but you have to be willing to spend the time reading up about it, but it is worth it.

If your not that knowledgeable on phones then why change from the iphone?
    The SGS is SLIGHTLY similar, but more flexible.

If your into messing around with a phone that can do everything apart from set of a nuke, get the SGS, but read up before you try anything, the SGS is VERY hard to "brick"/feck up, so don`t let the whole flashing things scare you, :)
    What you mean mark my system as r/w?

Seen this in the guides and didn't get that at all.

Also when you say root explorer? Do you mean just copying it into that folder on the pc? :confused:

There`s a little button up the top, that allows you to make changes.

Root explorer is an app, you can view your whole phones files, like windows explorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Ste- wrote: »

Many of them come as .zip files and are flashable with CWM. You'll find loads on XDA or Darkys forums. Involves no messing with permissions and less chance of opening a massive security hole!

Many of them come as .zip files and are flashable with CWM. You'll find loads on XDA or Darkys forums. Involves no messing with permissions and less chance of opening a massive security hole!

I have seen them on that. But for some reason (i'm an idiot), I don't know what to do exactly.

I have seen them on that. But for some reason (i'm an idiot), I don't know what to do exactly.
    You need CWM flashed. Read other threads here (Darkys ROM) about how to install a custom ROM.

Copy the file to your internal SD card. It's the default folder that opens in Astro or File Manager.

Turn off phone, and turn on again, holding power key, up volume key, and home button. When the Galaxy S logo appears, release the power button but keep holding the other two. This will enter you into whats called "recovery menu". using volume keys, select "install zip", then "choose zip", confirm it, and voila!

You need CWM flashed. Read other threads here (Darkys ROM) about how to install a custom ROM.

Copy the file to your internal SD card. It's the default folder that opens in Astro or File Manager.

Turn off phone, and turn on again, holding power key, up volume key, and home button. When the Galaxy S logo appears, release the power button but keep holding the other two. This will enter you into whats called "recovery menu". using volume keys, select "install zip", then "choose zip", confirm it, and voila!
    Cheers will try this later!! I am on darkys already so have CWM.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

First of all, this might be down to me not having done any mods since the latest fw (Froyo 2.2 Rom XWJPA) But i've noticed that my gps is hardly ever working.

Or should i say the google maps. If i'm out and about it gets stuck at "Locating GPS"
    9 out of 10 times. If i am in a highly populated area it might get a location but oftenly i have to do it the manual way and ask someone for direction.

Or is it down to the gps-system in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 beanman

HI All

I cannot see emails with pictures like the daily deals. With my Palm Pre Plus I had no issues and have tried everything with my Samsung and no joy.

Anyone know how to fix
    Thanks
    Beanman

I think the big difference between the two is the iphone is an out of the box ready to go phone, where as the SGS is highly customisable, but you have to be willing to spend the time reading up about it, but it is worth it.

If your not that knowledgeable on phones then why change from the iphone?
    The SGS is SLIGHTLY similar, but more flexible.

If your into messing around with a phone that can do everything apart from set of a nuke, get the SGS, but read up before you try anything, the SGS is VERY hard to "brick"/feck up, so don`t let the whole flashing things scare you, :)

THanks for advice. Only changing phones because my current Iphone broke and Im not buying another one or willing to pay for it to be fixed. I am moving networks to emobile and they SGS seems to be the best phone available. I am happy to take this as my new phone once people confirm that it does all that the Iphone does (and maybe even more).

If theres work involved in getting the most out of it I can live with that!

THanks for advice. Only changing phones because my current Iphone broke and Im not buying another one or willing to pay for it to be fixed. I am moving networks to emobile and they SGS seems to be the best phone available. I am happy to take this as my new phone once people confirm that it does all that the Iphone does (and maybe even more).

If theres work involved in getting the most out of it I can live with that!

You can do SO much more man, just don`t push that BIG red button,its that powerful, lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Guys, we have a new winner :D

Bye Bye Darkys

Known Bugs:
    Polling problem on RIL (works after lock and unlock)
    2G/3G toggle (works if no data connection is active)
    Compass (works not at 100%)
    commands: reboot recovery, reboot download (maybe not possible to implement)
    FM-Radio
    TV-Out
    Camera is usable but not neat at all

I can live with all that

Cheers will try this later!! I am on darkys already so have CWM.

Ah great, I wasnt sure what level you were at. Yeah just flash the zip with CWM.

Ah great, I wasnt sure what level you were at. Yeah just flash the zip with CWM.

Got it done. Was seriously easy. I'm just trying to be extra careful incase I brick it.

Cheers for the help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

The thing is it seems to be fairly good, anyone on her yet?

Ah ****e will I get another red card for labelling it as a "she"???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Does anybody else find that when they're surfing the internet on this Galaxy phone that it vibrates, freezes, vibrates a couple more times and the internet shuts down. This just happened me a moment ago and has happened numerous times before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dionysus wrote: »
    Does anybody else find that when they're surfing the internet on this Galaxy phone that it vibrates, freezes, vibrates a couple more times and the internet shuts down. This just happened me a moment ago and has happened numerous times before.

Nope, what browser are you using? What version of android is your phone on?

BTW, the latest Dolphin HD browser is wicked snappy IMO, it seems to respond much quicker than the version before.

Nah not here, the only thing I find when I scroll left/right it takes a firm scrolling finger, not as easy and smooth as up/down.
    I`m on Skyfire by the way.

I have had that happen but not always just with the browser. I blame poorly coded websites and flash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Installed the official nordic gingerbread (JVB) yesterday. Don't see any difference with JVK. Working find. No problems to report so far.

Edit: Had my first ever random reboot this morning. Was viewing the three.ie homepage, handset froze and then reboot. Hopefully it was a once off.

Advertisement