Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

I thought darkys rom was meant to improve the battery life. My battery ran out today and I had used my phone just as much as normal, where I was usually getting two days.

Going to calibrate it now. Have to say, fairly disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Raoul wrote: »
    I thought darkys rom was meant to improve the battery life. My battery ran out today and I had used my phone just as much as normal, where I was usually getting two days.

Have you cycled your battery 4-6 times since flashing?
    Its widely known that after flashing a custom Rom you must cycle your battery a few times before making judgement. Drain till it switches off then charge fully and leave charging overnight.

Its widely known that after flashing a custom Rom you must cycle your battery a few times before making judgement. Drain till it switches off then charge fully and leave charging overnight.

Nope, didn't know this. Will try it thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Drain the battery completely, let it turn off, then charge fully, do it twice, them reset your battery stats in cwm, is in the advanced section

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Drain the battery completely, let it turn off, then charge fully, do it twice, them reset your battery stats in cwm, is in the advanced section

Battery stats is only a log file. It doesn't have any actual impact on the battery performance or reading.

• Advertisement

Battery stats is only a log file. It doesn't have any actual impact on the battery performance or reading.

It has the placebo effect :D

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It has the placebo effect :D

Ahhh....lol:D

ARe u on XDA Pog?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Whats the logic with doing this? I can understand waiting for a few cycles after flashing a new rom because obviously the phone will be getting heavier usage while the user is playing with the new features but is there a deeper reason?

I have done all of the above but still getting far less time out of the battery than when I was on stock 2.2.1, on darkys 9.5 at the moment. I did see a slight improvement with the latest update to the kernel however.

Screen brightness is low, timeout 30secs, only 1 widget running etc etc

Ficeto, the guy who makes the kernel posted that he gets different battery drain with different sim cards in the same phone. It can sometimes be down to which modem you're running or the network you're on. I'm looking for the post now, will post it when I find it

Here: http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/kernel-dark-core-1-4-now-with-i897-captivate-support.2055/page-36#post-25426
    ARe u on XDA Pog?

Yes, registered as PogMoThoin22, I do follow the threads but I've not posted there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Ok cheers, that makes sense. I'm on 3 and in a bad area for coverage so the phone is constantly switching to roaming on the vodafone network when coverage drops.

• Advertisement

bandit197 wrote: »
    Ok cheers, that makes sense. I'm on 3 and in a bad area for coverage so the phone is constantly switching to roaming on the vodafone network when coverage drops.

Go over to the xda forums and read the battery drain thread.
    After flashing a new Rom the battery indicator for some reason doesn't reflect accurately the actual level the battery is at. That's the reason for the charging cycles.
    Different modems make a difference also to coverage and drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭G1032

This I found to be the best way to calibrate the SGS battery:
    These instructions are posted somewhere over on XDA.

1. Turn off your phone.
    2. Charge until 100%. Unplug charger and plug in again until it shows 100%
    3. With charger connected, boot into recovery and wipe battery stats.
    4. Unplug charger and use phone heavily until battery completely drains and phone shuts itself off.
    5. Plug in charger, turn on phone, and wait until it is fully charged again. Don't use your phone during this charge if at all possible.

Just try this and you'll be pleased with the results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I think the whole battery calibration is`nt working, the best thing I can suggest is just use your phone as normal and the battery will adjust and get better.
    I was all about keeping this and that to a minimal, don`t use this don`t use that, I got feed up with it and thought what`s the point in having this phone if I can`t use all the features on it the way I want to, so now I`m the opposite,
    I have multiple feed update, 3 synced accounts, game like a whore, the works, I still get 1.5 to 2 days out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

lewis wrote: »
    I think the whole battery calibration is`nt working, the best thing I can suggest is just use your phone as normal and the battery will adjust and get better.
    I was all about keeping this and that to a minimal, don`t use this don`t use that, I got feed up with it and thought what`s the point in having this phone if I can`t use all the features on it the way I want to, so now I`m the opposite,
    I have multiple feed update, 3 synced accounts, game like a whore, the works, I still get 1.5 to 2 days out of it.

I agree 100% .
    Use the phone. If there's something you never use turn it off,but don't restrict the stuff you bought the phone for in the 1st place.
    Just charge it every night, mine is usually at about 50% + when I charge it and if I'm using it alot on a particular day I always have plenty of juice.

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    I agree 100% .
    Use the phone. If there's something you never use turn it off,but don't restrict the stuff you bought the phone for in the 1st place.
    Just charge it every night, mine is usually at about 50% + when I charge it and if I'm using it alot on a particular day I always have plenty of juice.

Totally agree. I have this smart phone for emai, internet etc. I use it hard and i get about 2 days. The idea of battery calibration is only necessary after flashing custom Rom as the battery indicator doesn't always reflect what the battery status actually is and sometimes leading you to believe you have a lot more battery drain than you actually have.

Its also possible of course not to bother with calibration and charge as needed. Just means it will take a little longer to get an accurate battery readout. ( i do it this way personally cause i flash so often i couldn't be bothered cycling every time).

Battery has been far better this past day or two. Don't know what was going on the first couple of days just drained so quickly. Haven't used it much today since I unplugged it at around 8 today and its at 75 percent which I am pretty happy with as I have screen brightness up near full, just because as you said no point having the phone if I can't get the use out of all its features.

Battery has been far better this past day or two. Don't know what was going on the first couple of days just drained so quickly. Haven't used it much today since I unplugged it at around 8 today and its at 75 percent which I am pretty happy with as I have screen brightness up near full, just because as you said no point having the phone if I can't get the use out of all its features.

The best you`ll get battery wise would be 1% give or take, some times I get 5% for 8 hours over night, it can differ, but it very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I'm having Bluetooth Mysteries!

My SGS will not "see" bluetooth" headsets. I've tried to pair with 2, and neither work, but my wifes SGS see's them and connects to them, with no issues?

What am I doing wrong please?

Really annoying especially when I want to go driving and have the safety and convenience of an earpiece.

Thanks.

MidlandsM wrote: »

My SGS will not "see" bluetooth" headsets. I've tried to pair with 2, and neither work, but my wifes SGS see's them and connects to them, with no issues?

Really annoying especially when I want to go driving and have the safety and convenience of an earpiece.

Thanks.
    I have a ford mondeo and it simply wont pair with it. Just keeps saying pairing. :confused:

I have a ford mondeo and it simply wont pair with it. Just keeps saying pairing. :confused:

Have you tried turning you car on and off, lol.

What ROM`s are you two on?

• Advertisement

Rom? ermmmmm how do I reveal what ROM I'm on? My SGS is only 3 months old, standard, did'nt do any tweaking and is on Firmware version 2.1-update1

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Thanks.

Ok lads, found this, it may solve your problem but may not be the result you were looking for. :(

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Ok lads, found this, it may solve your problem but may not be the result you were looking for. :(

Thats a bit crap! But thanks! To be honest, the sgs speaker is grand for in the car.

I was on the stock rom and then moved over to darkys, neither worked.

DrZeuss wrote: »

thanks, but of no use to me.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

thanks, but of no use to me.:pac:

Apologies, misread your post :o, have you tried un-pairing all your pairs and then trying to re-pair, thats about all I can offer.

Rom? ermmmmm how do I reveal what ROM I'm on? My SGS is only 3 months old, standard, did'nt do any tweaking and is on Firmware version 2.1-update1

That`s good then, if there`s no custom ROM, menu/settings/about phone scroll all the way down it says there.

At least you can bring it to the shop with the warranty in tacked.

If that does`nt fix it, then you could look into getting or flashing a new ROM???? :)

That`s good then, if there`s no custom ROM, menu/settings/about phone scroll all the way down it says there.

At least you can bring it to the shop with the warranty in tacked.

If that does`nt fix it, then you could look into getting or flashing a new ROM???? :)

it just has Model number, Firmware version, Baseband version, Kernel version and Build number....no mention of ROM?

it just has Model number, Firmware version, Baseband version, Kernel version and Build number....no mention of ROM?

That`s your current ROM

That`s your current ROM

ok, then my ROM is ECLAIR.XWJM2

• Advertisement

ok, then my ROM is ECLAIR.XWJM2

She be shtock then, seriously, read up on flashing a ROM.

Advertisement