Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important changes at RapidShare.com

Options
  • 26-06-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

http://rapidshare.com/news.html
    New product and pricing models make RapidShare as flexible and low priced as never before

June 25, 2010
    As of June 29, 2010, RapidShare is changing its product and payment models. In future, the costs for RapidShare accounts will no longer be tiered according to time period; instead there will be five packages with differing features. These packages will be paid for with a new currency known as "Rapids". In order to grant our customers maximum flexibility when choosing the type of package, they will be able to switch between packages on a daily basis and hence select the features that suit them best at the time.
    All previous Collector's accounts will be automatically converted into free Premium accounts on July 1, 2010, thus making it still possible to use the RapidShare service without charge.

What is actually changing: pricing model
    RapidShare is launching a new currency: Rapids. This will allow users to take up various packages from June 29, 2010.
    Rapids can be acquired in the following increments:

Prepaid funds
    400 Rapids € 4,99
    1.000 Rapids € 9,95
    2.000 Rapids € 19,90
    5.000 Rapids € 49,75
    20.000 Rapids € 199,00

Many users will already have Rapids in their accounts from the start as both the remaining days in existing Premium accounts and unused traffic share will be converted automatically into Rapids. For each remaining day, the user will be credited with 20 Rapids. For example, if there are 10 days left in a Premium account, the user will receive 200 Rapids. Each GB of traffic share will be converted into 5 Rapids.
    Any accumulated Free- and Premium-RapidPoints can also be converted into Rapids until July 6, 2010. Altogether, 5,000 Free-RapidPoints and 5,000 Premium-RapidPoints equate to 600 Rapids; 50,000 Free-RapidPoints and 50,000 Premium-RapidPoints will give 6,000 Rapids.
    A maximum of 50,000 Rapids can be obtained by converting existing RapidPoints, traffic share or the remaining time on a Premium account.

What is actually changing: product model
    These modifications will not change anything for Free Users. Owners of previous Collector's accounts will receive free Premium accounts, enabling them to manage their uploaded files in the Premium Zone. Downloading and storing are just the same as for the previous Collector's account.
    Users who have Rapids can choose from five types of fee-paying package. What is special about these packages is that every user can turn the features off and on to suit their needs from day to day. In this way, we hope to offer our customers an even better service and, above all, much more flexibility than before.

Overview of fee-paying packages:
    Name Price / day Storage Traffic / day Filemanagement Directdownload Foldermanagement Verification Licence Manager Licence Manager+
    RapidSmall 4 Rapids 10 GB 1 GB x x
    RapidMedium 20 Rapids 50 GB 5 GB x x x
    RapidBig 78 Rapids 200 GB 20 GB x x x x
    RapidSupersize 229 Rapids 600 GB 60 GB x x x x x
    RapidBusiness 449 Rapids 1200 GB 120 GB x x x x x x

* RapidSmall For the RapidSmall package, users pay 4 Rapids a day. This gives them 10 GB of secured storage and a daily traffic volume of 1 GB. What's more, they can take advantage of file management and direct download features.
    * RapidMedium Those who opt for the RapidMedium deal get, in exchange for 20 Rapids a day, 50 GB of secured storage and a daily traffic volume of 5 GB. In addition to file management and direct downloads, users will be able to manage their data in folders.
    * RapidBig Holders of RapidBig accounts have access to 200 GB of secured storage and a traffic limit of 20 GB. Along with other RapidMedium features, in this version users will also be able to have their account verified. The RapidBig package costs 78 Rapids a day.
    * RapidSupersize With the RapidSupersize account, users receive 600 GB of secured storage and 60 GB of daily traffic in return for 229 Rapids a day. As an added feature, users will have the ability to sell their own files via the Licence Manager.
    * RapidBusiness With RapidBusiness, commercial customers benefit from being able to store and grant others access to even greater quantities of data for 449 Rapids a day. In addition to the features of the RapidSupersize deal, customers will have access to Licence Manager+.

Plus, business customers can receive targeted offers on request.
    If users load their account with Rapids through payment or by converting RapidPoints, Traffic or remaining time, they will be set up with the smallest package (RapidSmall), with the option to upgrade at any time.
    All features of the new model will be explained in further detail on June 29, 2010 on rapidshare.com.

Time to find a new premium file hosting me thinks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

SickBoy wrote: »
    http://rapidshare.com/news.html

Time to find a new premium file hosting me thinks...

Jesus, talk about confusing, still trying to figure out what it means where you get the info from, I have heard nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Jesus, talk about confusing, still trying to figure out what it means where you get the info from, I have heard nothing
    that was my first thoughts irishtonyo. people might switch if only because they're confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Just got the email too.

They seem to be changing a perfectly simple system for the most complicated and convoluted method.

I read the whole thing and I have no idea what it actually means. I've paid for a year up until next Jan so I won't be happy if they start to screw their subscribers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Absolutely bizarre.. I've read it twice and still don't know what the hell it means. I renewed my subscription in May. Not impressed (out of confusion really as what the hell it means!) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Seriously! wtf?

Even the Lisbon treaty was a more understandable read than that.
    All we can do is wait and see how this works but I have a bad feeling ill be moving to another service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Glad I am not the only one well confused :confused:

If I buy 5,000 rapids @ €50 and use the RapidBig which is 78 rapids a day, my €50 will only last 2 months?? But I wouldnt down load 20gb per day, some days yes but not everyday! So does it automatically change to the correct package depending on your usage that day?

Everytime I read it, it seems to mean something different, it is like one of those paintings where the eyes follow you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

They definitely seem to be trying to squeeze more juice for less from their customers with this. No thanks RS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I'm confused.com! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I've a feeling that over a short space of time there won't be much links to RS, as they have discontinued the reward system, so no more incentive for ppl to upload.

• Advertisement

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Everytime I read it, it seems to mean something different, it is like one of those paintings where the eyes follow you :D

Likewise on this end....

RapidSupersize (wtf)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Usenet ftw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dizzy_davidh

Reading between the lines they have just decided to loose the support of the mass of their customers.

With the conversion of Premium users remaining days you are getting in exchange for your 25gb a day, 5gb a day (one day converts to 20rapids which allows 5gb a day) so essentially your account has lost 80% of it's value because of the changes (assuming you download the max each day, which I'm sure some folks do!).

You also have to keep an eye on your chosen usage level as if you increase it to allow for heavier use and then don't drop it back down again afterwards you will be wasting your 'rapids'.

So in short, Rapidshare are planning to de-value your account to 20% of it's current download limit value and the potential for your newly converted rapids to be used up is greatly increased therefore making you have to spend more money on keeping your account alive a real possibility.

I can feel a whole hoard of hosters migrating to Hotfile, Netload, Storage.to, sharingmatrix etc. and RapidShare slowly loosing their dominance and either reverting to their current payment method\system or just sticking with it and disappearing into obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Are premium accounts not limited to 5gb per day now anyway? I dont think you can download 25gb in one day. I couldnt download anythin a while ago after 5gb, had to wait until the next day.

The way I read it is its 20 rapids per day but if you dont download anything you wont be charged the 20 rapids. If thats the case thats ok for me as I dont download everyday. Plus 5gb per day is enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

With the conversion of Premium users remaining days you are getting in exchange for your 25gb a day, 5gb a day (one day converts to 20rapids which allows 5gb a day) so essentially your account has lost 80% of it's value

^^ This is wrong
    Slunk wrote: »
    Are premium accounts not limited to 5gb per day now anyway? I dont think you can download 25gb in one day.

The current system credits you with 5gb per day. But if you don't use any that day, you'll have 10gb the next day to use. This cycle continues to a maximum of 25gb.

I think the big question is, say with Rapidmedium, will you be charged 20 rapids per day regardless of whether you use the account. If you are charged 20 rapids per day then it is easy to see how customers are loosing out.

365 days account with 5gb day credit on old system = €55
    365 days account with 5gb day credit on new system (Rapidmedium) = 7300 rapids (365x20) or €72.65 assuming you purchase the 'bulk' prepaid funds of 20,000 rapids

That's about an 18 quid increase or 33% ffs

JoeyD wrote: »
    ^^ This is wrong

My bad, I lost the plot on the current limit due to the number of changes over recent months.

I download from Rapidshare using JDownloader which along with my RS account being set to use my freepoints to supplement my download limit and that I try to use Rapidshare as little as possible, has resulted in JDownloader indicating I have near 25gb of download traffic left for today.

I guess what has happened is that if ever I've gone over the 5gb I have either had enough carried over from previous days allocation or that I have used up my freepoints to allow the downloads.

You are right in that the fundamental question now is really do your 'rapids' not get deducted or reduced if you don't use any or all of your daily allowance.

That being said, ever being the pessimist, I imagine the way it will work is that the points of your chosen usage-level are deducted from your account regardless of your actual usage and if that is the case you would definately need to be mindful of what usage-level you have set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Darkkiz

All features of the new model will be explained in further detail on June 29, 2010 on rapidshare.com.

Guess we have to wait :/
    Just hope they dont screw us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

It seems to have begun. I was trying to find several files this evening on sites that only keep active links and even though they looked ok the files were not found. Took many tries to find what I needed.

I reckon this could be a major pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

I read this and before finishing decide to move to megaupload when mt rs account expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Thankfully they decided to announce this now so i dont have to renew my account next month. What do people suggest as the best alternative? (apart from usenet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

What the sh!t?:confused:
    *wanders off to hotfile*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

To be fair I'm very drunk right now and it still makes no sense at all so this new system even fails the Drunk Test! :confused::o

If they wanted to make the Rapid some abstract unit of measure of data transfer they've failed big-time! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

If they wanted to change their pricing model, then they should have introduced a pay-per-Gigabyte system and not this crap. I will most certainly be trying another filehost.

I'm gonna get myself a hotfile and megaupload account for a month and see which I prefer.

I would suggest Hotfile and Netload as two of the best alternatives based upon the number of posts I frequent that use them. SharingMatrix seems to do a lot more business these days too and of course there is always the mega family of sites (megaupload etc.).

I don't personally host anything on-line but I do have accounts with hotfile(ok), netload (fast), rapidshare (starting to pi** me off!) and storage.to (slow) and so replacing rapidshare with another wouldn't be too much of a bother if posters started to migrate to a decent alternative.

Some ISPs block\throttle hotfile quite a bit but they also do that to rapidshare as well but it's something to consider if you are thinking of changing hosting companies.

I was wondering if Rapidshare's changes aren't also some stealth method to force users to store their files elsewhere (aimed at the dodgy hosters I guess) as they can't afford the 'Rapids' needed to keep their files up. The knock-on effect would be that their overheads on storage would be reduced, they look a lot cleaner to the copyright organisations and legit business users would likely put up with any increase in costs as long as rapidshare was specifically part of their requirements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I've read some confusing stuff before and I have to say the reading in the OP's post has me pulling the hair out of my head trying to understand it.

I have a Hotfile and Megashare account. Guess I will be using them more when my Rapidshare runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

On the topic of alternatives, uploading.com is definitely not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Can someone explain to me simply what these changes mean

1. in regards to rapidshare
    2. on people actively using it,will it decline?

i hate change

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ronano wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me simply what these changes mean

1. in regards to rapidshare
    2. on people actively using it,will it decline?

i hate change

1. Long story short. you will pay more for a lesser service.
    2. Yes - BIG time and I have emailed them to complain about the changes.

If they are trying to kill off their own business, they will succeed somewhat (or a lot I suspect) in doing that within 6 months to a year.

I will not be using their services any longer when my present account runs out.

I have mailed them also to let them know after multiple readings and discussions with other users, I still do not know exactly what the new terms and conditions mean, and as a result will not be renewing my account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

I emailed them saying I want a refund for my remaining months, I know they wont do anything but I think everyone should email them (support@rapidshare.com) and let them know that we will be walking with this new sh1te they are offering!

I agree that they seem to be forcing the illegal stuff off their servers but how else do Rapidshare make money, 90% of the stuff on their servers must be illegal? So to me 90% of their subscribers will leave if they go ahead with this?

Advertisement