Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important changes at RapidShare.com

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Came across this one today. Duckload.com. With it I can max out my connection (4mb), and resume broken downloads. You can also download more than one file at a time. The best part is you don't have to pay, or sign up or anything. It's FREE. I does that a captcha, and an annoying pop up( is there any other kind? ) :) . The files I downloaded were 1gb each. It doesn't work with jdownloader, and I don't know about any other download managers. I didn't have to renew my ip, either, to start a new file.

It's the first time I saw one of these hosting sites, that has so much flexibility for a free user.

I still have my rapidshare account, but rarely use it these days
    i've noticed duckload, and found it very fast, downloading a 1.4GB in about 10 mins :eek:
    problem is, links for it aren't as common in comparison to hotfile/fileserve/netload

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

True, but if it keeps things as is, there will probably be a lot more files available on it. Is seems it's a very new site

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My RS account is due to expire in a few weeks, where have most people gone to? I was thinking either Hotfile of Fileserve as there seems to be a lot more files uploaded to these services than the likes of MU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Came across this one today. Duckload.com. With it I can max out my connection (4mb), and resume broken downloads. You can also download more than one file at a time. The best part is you don't have to pay, or sign up or anything. It's FREE. I does have that captcha, and an annoying pop up( is there any other kind? ) :) . The files I downloaded were 1gb each. It doesn't work with jdownloader, and I don't know about any other download managers. I didn't have to renew my ip, either, to start a new file.

It's the first time I saw one of these hosting sites, that has so much flexibility for a free user.

I still have my rapidshare account, but rarely use it these days

Too bad nobody is uploading stuff to it, and if people start uploading to it, it will become slow and meh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Mc Love wrote: »
    My RS account is due to expire in a few weeks, where have most people gone to? I was thinking either Hotfile of Fileserve as there seems to be a lot more files uploaded to these services than the likes of MU

My RS ran out a while ago and I went to MU, but to be honest I wish i had of gone to one of the other two you mentioned. Can be hard to find MU links sometimes. Definitely not the most popular.

And in the last week or so I have been getting speeds of 30kb/s and less. Normally I can get 3mb/s so I'm not too happy at all.

Even emailed them, and support wrote back saying that speeds varies depending on my internet connection (duhh!!) and to use their megamanager thing which I tried and not getting much better speeds, very inconsistent).

Slightly OT, any one else having problems with MU at the moment or is it just me???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

Exact same problems with MU and also hotfile.

Either the services have gone to **** or UPC have started throttling. Either way its extremely annoying. Torrents would probably be faster than the speeds Im getting.

Looks like this file hosting ride could be over :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

brk3 wrote: »

Either the services have gone to **** or UPC have started throttling. Either way its extremely annoying. Torrents would probably be faster than the speeds Im getting.

I just baught Fileserve, so has my m8, both on UPC, have a Hotfile & MU a/c and there gone slow as hell, fileserve seems good, UPC told me over the phone they dont throttle, and I asked them twice, Fileserve seems so far so good

Nick

Has anyone noticed an increase in the usage of RS again or is it just me being mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Mc Love wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed an increase in the usage of RS again or is it just me being mad?

Haven't used it since they made their last change, had enough of them messing things about again and again.

My account was due to expire on 16th of this month but as they changed over, I still have rapids to spend...havent a clue how rapids work though so will keep downloading until it runs out, and then probably get FS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Started using megaupload, its awesome imo

Unlimited downloading and always fullspeed!

I used RS for years but the changes they made were so hard to understand, I wouldnt recommend hotfile either, lacks of links on major forums and poor bandwidth alot of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

My rapidshare account is due to expire this next month ... I was thinking of moving to Megaupload or Hotfile ... any pros and cons ?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

While rapidshare is a rip off at times, its service is far superior to that of megaupload or hotfile. I am on a 30mb/ps line at home and I can get 3mb/ps download speed from RS, but only 400kb/ps from HF and 1.25mb/ps from MU. If you want to keep a fast download speed then stick with RS.

Agreed, RS service is way better than Hotfile.
    Megaupload again not great and limited content.

Fileserve is the only real competitor, and i get top speeds from there too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

brk3 wrote: »

I find anything recent on MU runs like a dog, 20-30kB/s, unless you're a paid up user.
    Using Fileserve I can get 400-200kB/s as a free user.

MU as a free user is best when you're looking for older downloads.
    It will max out my connection using Megmanager for these.

I might try this duckload as I'm hearing good things.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Fileserve is grand on UPC, hotfile & megaupload seemed to just get worse and worse... Duckload seems to offer great speeds to free users which is good, no idea what premium is like but I'd image it would be good aswell, links are scarce though for dl :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭#Daniel

Thought I'd bite the bullet and try out hotfile this month. Was getting max speeds last week but speeds have been awful this past few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Links for fileserve are plentiful, i'm happy with it as a free user. good download limit, consisent speeds around 300-400kbps, and ability to resume downloads
    though i've been noticing a sharp increase in speeds with MU. most of the times i'm downloading from it, i've been getting speeds between 2 and 4 mb/s :eek: and as a free user as well. very rarely since before christmas, i've gotten speeds of less than 800kbps

duckload used to be good with huge download speeds, but they've that changed and i find it crippling slow now, around 50kbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I actually like the new rapidshare system. It's a little confusing at first but basically you buy bandwidth with rapidpoints and it never expires so you just top up as needed without worrying about it. I had a yearly subscription prior to the changeover and they converted it to points, i'm way past the date of expiration of my original subscription but I still have loads of rapidpoints left that will last be a good few months. It's basically costing me less that it did before. I'll be sticking with rapidshare for the foreseeable future.

I bought a hotfile subscription during the commotion and I've been very disappointed with it. Very poor speeds and I won't be renewing. When it expires I might get a fileserve account as it seems to be popular with unloaders. Filesonic also seems to be catching on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

#Daniel wrote: »
    Thought I'd bite the bullet and try out hotfile this month. Was getting max speeds last week but speeds have been awful this past few days.

i bought a hotfile account a fewmonths back i have a 6mb line and i was maxing it out up untill last week now iam only get half of what iam sapose to be getting.
    i had a 40 gb download cap a month but changed to 70gb last month as the 40 was not enough,i was thinking it was my isp that where trottling the line but it looks like its hotfile that the promlem is with.

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »
    I actually like the new rapidshare system. It's a little confusing at first but basically you buy bandwidth with rapidpoints and it never expires so you just top up as needed without worrying about it. I had a yearly subscription prior to the changeover and they converted it to points, i'm way past the date of expiration of my original subscription but I still have loads of rapidpoints left that will last be a good few months. It's basically costing me less that it did before. I'll be sticking with rapidshare for the foreseeable future.

I bought a hotfile subscription during the commotion and I've been very disappointed with it. Very poor speeds and I won't be renewing. When it expires I might get a fileserve account as it seems to be popular with unloaders. Filesonic also seems to be catching on.

Same with me, my subscription is still going (due to expire on the 16th under old system) but I had until the end of the month under new system and I still have a good few rapids left, so I have extended it for another while. As you said, its costing me less money. Although I have noticed a decrease in the amount of links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭compaqlaptop1

Does anyone know how much GB I can download with 10 rapids?

It seems that they dont have this most basic of info on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Well whats this?

2dkfi2w.png

So its taken them 2 years but they have decided to go back to their old ways. Too late me thinks

I wouldnt say its too late at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

hotfile has being a big let downfor me will prob go back to ra now id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

I currently use Fileserve which I find pretty good. It's the only one I use. Stopped using Hotfile and used FileSonic too at one stage.

I think I'll go back to RS as well as use FS.

Are they still using the 'Rapids' system, but just changing how they're used?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Finally, I stuck it out with Rapidshare since I've been with them since 2005 and always got top speeds. Was annoying that it was rarer to see RS stuff around the web but weren't impossible to find.

Since they fecked up their system Hotfile, Oron, FileServe, etc, came along to have a piece of the pie.

Only problem with them was the relentless problems people were having with them and the fact that Hotfile was THE company to be with one minute then another (like Fileserve, MegaFileUpload, DuckLoad) were the popular choice. The market got too saturated that people didn't know who to buy a membership with and not end up wasting their money on false promises (D/L speeds, availabilty of links, uploading, etc).

I think Rapidshare picked a perfect time to sort this out considering all of these other unknown companies cropping up and people are getting sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

As much as it pains me to say it (Because they absolutely abused their market leader position by getting so greedy), but i'll use RS again, their speeds were always consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

So what's different with the latest change?

As I recall the big uploaders left because they no longer rewarded freee download credit to uploaders. Hence the recent dearth of RS links.

Will these changes do anything to reverse that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

hardCopy wrote: »
    So what's different with the latest change?

As I recall the big uploaders left because they no longer rewarded freee download credit to uploaders. Hence the recent dearth of RS links.

Will these changes do anything to reverse that?
    Yeah your right
    I don't know why I assumed it as back to "normal".
    Rapids are still there (**** knows why!) and there is no points system for uploaders to benefit. I suppose on the positive side, trafficshare is unlimited. I think they used to have a cap of 30gb per month.

Advertisement