Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important changes at RapidShare.com

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I'm under the impression that if I logged into my premium account, transferred 280 rapids to my old-school collector account (which was auto-converted into a premium account way back in June, and has 0 rapids total, and obviously has 0 days left on it's RapidPro) and clicked "Buy Traffic - 100GB" that I'd be perfectly able to download 100GB worth of stuff using that account.

Why can your account not be used if you're not a RapidPro member but have traffic left? Have you let your RapidPro lapse and then been told you can't use your account until you're a RapidPro user again? If what you're saying is true then there is no point in the option to "Disable auto-renewal of RapidPro"

Thats not the way it works. You cannot buy traffic for an account unless it is active. And it costs 495 Rapids (~€6) for an active account for one month. It doesnt matter how much traffic you have left over, after your 30 days are up your account is frozen and then you have to top it up again with another 495 Rapids.

Yes, when you re-activate your account you still have unused traffic, but that's not my point. The point is that the very cheapest option is now €60 per year whereas previously a light user (or happy hour user) could get by on 99 Rapids per month (whatever that works out as <€15 per year).

64mbtg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Clearly you can't top up when you're not a RapidPro user, which is disappointing. But have you checked if you can use remaining traffic when rapidpro is inactive?It really seems like a huge oversight if you can't, and does increase the cost significantly for me too :(

This change sort of blows now tbh, I seem to have had it all wrong. The way I thought it worked was far superior to the way it actually works.

I'm on the lookout for a new filehost - suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I'm on the lookout for a new filehost - suggestions?

Me personally I can't decide as many posts have multiple file hosts. As I said previously (as I'm not a heavy downloader) at the moment I'm using fileserve and I find it great as a free user with JDownloader.

I also have an 180GB account with AstraWeb and I use SABnzbd+ as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

which is better hotfile or fileserve

I am thinking about trying hotfile tonight but just wondering does anyone have any experience with it?

I use igetter and it works a charm. I have also spotted over the last number of months that there are more hotfile links appearing than RS links.

Has anyone used hotfile and igetter? I presume it the same as RS and all that needs to be done is chang the direct download links and username and password in the igetter options?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iquitalready

As a fairly heavy downloader, I've always done the majority of it at night so as not to be leeching bandwidth from my neighbours during the day (seems only fair to me). When Rapidshare brought in happy hours, what started as a bonus quickly became a necessity with changing terms and increased caps. Without it, I would have abandoned Rapidshare long ago.

I think this new change was at least partially brought about because of happy hours. I was surprised how many people didn't seem to know about this when the first round of changes came into effect in June and would imagine a much greater percentage of users are making use of it. As a consequence, people are only sipping on their rapids making them last a lot longer. The seven months I had left on my original account I could now stretch to three years.

From a business point of view I can fully understand why they would feel the need to plug this hole. But surely they could have come up with a compromise solution. It's now costing at least €60 a year, which is more than it ever cost before! I know we're getting more for it, but I was always able to make the older terms work for me. They're forcing a much higher package on everyone that most people just don't need. This just seems cynical to me and a slap in the face to users who have stayed with them through all their screwing around over the last four months.

Needless to say, I won't be renewing my service with them when my rapids run out. I've got seven months worth left but I think the rate of abandonment is only going to increase and I doubt it'll still be tolerable to stick with them alone until then. But who to switch to?

Before the exodus started, Megaupload always seemed like the king-to-be. Hotfile now seems the most dominant with Netload and MU not far behind. Fileserve also seems to be gaining a lot of traction recently. Whatever happens, in the short to medium term, none of them will have the market share Rapidshare used to command. Having multiple accounts seems to be the best solution. A friend of mine and I used to share a Rapidshare account. Can anyone tell me if this is possible with the likes of Hotfile, Megaupload etc?

Didn't realise I'd written that much. Sorry for the long spiel. And in writing this... I've just made it even longer - Alanis Morisette could learn somthing from this. I'll go now. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

AntiRip wrote: »
    Me personally I can't decide as many posts have multiple file hosts. As I said previously (as I'm not a heavy downloader) at the moment I'm using fileserve and I find it great as a free user with JDownloader.
    i'm also a free user and tbh i don't find FileServe that great. maybe it's just cos i download free, but i find it annoying cos sometimes i have to wait 6mins to wait for the captcha to come up. speeds do be slow enough with the max i got to be roughly 400kbps
    as a free user i much prefer MegaUpload. no need to wait around for the capthca as jDownloader auto recognises it and no need to wait after a download (like hotfile - 30 mins wait to d/l again). i've been getting speeds up to 3MB/s with it :eek:, much faster than other free file hosts. i've seen plenty of MU links around on sites too. much more than RS links anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Rapidshare really screwed themselves up since they made these changes with the RapidPoints, what an arseway of doing things.

I've been with Rapidshare for about 6 years and never had problems with them until the recent changes. Now that everyone is jumping ship to Hotfile I'm thinking I'll do the same when my stupid points are up.

Plus, anyone been having trouble using Rapidshare.com in the last 2 days since they updated it? I've dead connections to the site and I'm practically abandoned now. I know the site ain't down but it's like it's been wiped off the face of the earth on my end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 natureboy7

Hi

everything i have regarding rapidshare is about to die due to their recent changes in their system.

i am just wondering if there is any download manager that i can use like Internet Download Manager. after their changes, i could even download one link. i am truly sick from their changes.

pls can you help me, i need a download manager that can function like IDM.

thanks in advance...

natureboy7 wrote: »
    Hi

everything i have regarding rapidshare is about to die due to their recent changes in their system.

i am just wondering if there is any download manager that i can use like Internet Download Manager. after their changes, i could even download one link. i am truly sick from their changes.

pls can you help me, i need a download manager that can function like IDM.

thanks in advance...

Jdownloader

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Anyone else having problems accessing Rapidshares site, it's not loading for me at all, just keeps coming up saying "cannot display webpage" :confused:

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems accessing Rapidshares site, it's not loading for me at all, just keeps coming up saying "cannot display webpage" :confused:

Works fine for me. Are you using a bookmark to open it?

Also if you find a site doesn't open you should try
    http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

rapidshare have been doing a lot of work on their server's and they have been up and down for the last few days.

as for finding an alternative file hosting company, the majority of users are now moving to hotfile.
    It seems to be the most reliable and very decently priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I can't download anything at the mo with RS premium, either it won't download at all or it stops at 99%

Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I can't download anything at the mo with RS premium, either it won't download at all or it stops at 99%

Anyone got any ideas?
    Exact same problem I'm having still, stops at 99% :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Anyone got any ideas?
    hellboy99 wrote: »
    Exact same problem I'm having still, stops at 99% :confused:

I had this annoying problem with IDM, everytime it got to 100% the connection would go bust and rapidshare would vanish for about an hour.

I just updated IDM to the latest version and haven't had a problem since. Whatever downloader you're using, just update it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just checking my account here, have zero rapids left , no intention of buying more but thought I was good for a few months yet and have downloaded little or nothing from RS in the last while, as I was using hotfile.

Then I go into the longs and see this
    05/10/2010 08:17:00 0.0.0.0 -328
    Automatic account extension for 20 days.

05/09/2010 08:17:00 0.0.0.0 -99
    Automatic account extension for 30 days.

06/08/2010 08:17:00 0.0.0.0 -99

07/07/2010 08:17:00 0.0.0.0 -99

Doesn't take great eyesight to see whats wrong there, -328 on the 5th for 20 day ext. prior to that it was only -99 per 30 day ext. wtf??????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

calex71 wrote: »
    Then I go into the longs and see this..

calex71, just checked myself, my Rapids have halved in a week, I had 2500+ with no use, log in today to find 1200, with an extra data allowance. No email, nothing. Odd behaviour.

The Rapid rates and scales are just awful, even worse than what caused people to jump ship after the first wave of changes.

Maybe Rapidshare are happy with the money they have.. and have decided to jump ship with the silverware.

I joined Hotfile in the meantime. €40 for the year, all in. You can use a Dublin City Gift Card..

Amalgam wrote: »
    calex71, just checked myself, my Rapids have halved in a week, I had 2500+ with no use, log in today to find 1200, with an extra data allowance. No email, nothing. Odd behaviour.

The Rapid rates and scales are just awful, even worse than what caused people to jump ship after the first wave of changes.

Maybe Rapidshare are happy with the money they have.. and have decided to jump ship with the silverware.

I joined Hotfile in the meantime. €40 for the year, all in. You can use a Dublin City Gift Card..

Seems I'm not the only one then, you got extra data though ? I got a 20 day extension for 328 rapids as opposed to 30 days for 99 rapids what a deal :D

I have sent them a strongly worded email but sure I doubt they care at this stage, and I had no intention of giving over any more money. Was just handy to have the RS account for the rarity these days that is only available on RS.

Hmmmmm now I'm wondering, when these changes were implemented existing premium points and time left etc would have been converted to rapids and I have not paid them a cent since this happened. I wonder if those rapids had a shelf life / expiry date. Cheeky so and so's bet that's what happened.

Edit: Others should check their accounts and logs I think just in case something similar has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

same here, instead of 99 rapids for 30 days they used my last 105 rapids and gave me 7 days for it, which works out at 450 for 30 days. They did not inform me of any changes either. Sending them a mail telling them to **** off and remove all my details from their system. Finding rapidshare, shares these days is a rarity anyway, but talk about ruining your business. They couldn't have done a better job if they just shut their site.

Time for a route around the interwebs to see what the hell is going on.

As a matter of interest lads, was it last week they fleeced yee too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Emails etc.. waste of time. I think this is a well planned.. P.F.O.

Rapidshare had been under mounting pressure in various European countries, I couldn't see them being around much longer anyway.

495 Rapids for 30 days. Charged 18 Rapids, seemingly, for a change in account settings.. :D

The change in rates, with no email forewarning is a sign of a company that isn't concerned with long term events.

Just checked my account there. Wow. But I've 5290 rapids left so at a rate of 495 a month it should still last me 10 months which is roughly 14 months altogether since I renewed. I've already given up using it anyway and only use it if I'm really stuck.
    04 October 2010 19:41:00 -495

495 a month is what I'm seeing now on their site to extend Rapid Pro

What exactly is the benefit of pro ? as opposed to what ever the alternative is hmmmm not pro? 5.99 for 500 rapids = 1 month pro and a 150 gb limit?

495 is a massive jump from 99 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

18 October 2010 19:23:00 0.0.0.0 -202
    Automatic account extension for 13 days.

aye it says its now 500 points per month.. nice of them to e-mail us and tell us that its increased from 99 - 500.

BTW..Is hotfile any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

ewj1978 wrote: »
    BTW..Is hotfile any good?

No

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    No

any particular reason why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    any particular reason why?

Very slow download speeds. Trying to contact them to get a refund by they will not respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Dang..was hoping they'd be decent.. Where'll i get my Tv eps from now?.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

FileServe, Megaupload...etc. there's a long list of file-hosting sites available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Signed up for megaupload there during the week, better than RS so far...

Advertisement