Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

hfallada wrote: »
    The ticket inspectors are plain clothed in Munich. They get on the tram, wait for the doors to close. If its the U-Bahn, they shout tickets and open their wallets to flash their IDs. Everyone shows their tickets and within in 90 seconds the whole carriage has been inspected. If they catch anyone, they collect the fine on the spot. If you dont have money they bring you to an ATM or kindly drop you to a police station where you will be released when someone can pay your fine.

One the trams they wait for the doors to stop, stand beside the ticket machines and wait 10 seconds. Then they inspect tickets. I imagine if you havent attempted to buy tickets within 10 seconds of getting on the tram. It can be assumed, you werent going to buy one

German efficiency at it's best. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

The ticket inspectors are plain clothed in Munich. They get on the tram, wait for the doors to close. If its the U-Bahn, they shout tickets and open their wallets to flash their IDs. Everyone shows their tickets and within in 90 seconds the whole carriage has been inspected. If they catch anyone, they collect the fine on the spot. If you dont have money they bring you to an ATM or kindly drop you to a police station where you will be released when someone can pay your fine.

One the trams they wait for the doors to stop, stand beside the ticket machines and wait 10 seconds. Then they inspect tickets. I imagine if you havent attempted to buy tickets within 10 seconds of getting on the tram. It can be assumed, you werent going to buy one

Experienced that system when I lived in Munich and I did find it quite efficient, however it does take longer to validate a Leap card.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Experienced that system when I lived in Munich and I did find it quite efficient, however it does take longer to validate a Leap card.
    Got my leap checked today, the inspector was clearly getting frustrated waiting for the reader to say yay or nay!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont understand why they wouldnt just put ticket machines on the trains. In Munich, you either buy a monthly ticket or 10 per-paid tickets at once or you buy ticket from the machine on the tram. Its a small basic machine with a few buttons and takes the German version of a Visa Debit. It means there isnt massive queues on the platforms for buying tickets like the Luas and people actually buy the ticket because its easier.

It would probably make more sense having ticket machines on green/bxd line rather than paying for security to stand there and stop vandalism of the machines

Seems a handy fair dodging system. Dont buy a ticket, then when you see an inspector getting on , head to the machine like you just got on and buy a ticket from that station on.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Seems a handy fair dodging system. Dont buy a ticket, then when you see an inspector getting on , head to the machine like you just got on and buy a ticket from that station on.

EDIT: Beaten to it.
    An onboard machine could be ideal for validating an (internet) on line purchase &/or for topping up a leap card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Got my leap checked today, the inspector was clearly getting frustrated waiting for the reader to say yay or nay!

Really? The validating machines are quite fast these days. Remember when the inspectors didn't used to check smart cards because the machines they used were so slow?

AngryLips wrote: »
    Really? The validating machines are quite fast these days. Remember when the inspectors didn't used to check smart cards because the machines they used were so slow?
    Yes really, he was holding the card to the reader for at least 30 seconds before he got a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

At Liam Whelan bridge, junction of Connaught street and Fassaugh road.
    CEk2Es0WAAAK2G-.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

matc66 wrote: »
    At Liam Whelan bridge, junction of Connaught street and Fassaugh road.
    CEk2Es0WAAAK2G-.jpg

What is it?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

No idea, Pascal Donohoe posted it on twitter, but it seems like work is fairly advanced up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭karma_coma

Graded section of track?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

I think i read somewhere that the bridge might have to be raised up, or alternatively the track sunk down, which this might be part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

This is the new Fassaugh Road bridge deck, it is being constructed to the side of the existing bridge and, when ready, the existing bridge will be demolished and the New bridge slid across into place. It is being done this way to minimise the length of time that the bridge will be out of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    This is the new Fassaugh Road bridge deck, it is being constructed to the side of the existing bridge and, when ready, the existing bridge will be demolished and the New bridge slid across into place. It is being done this way to minimise the length of time that the bridge will be out of action.
    I'm surprised the old bridge isn't protected; didn't something historic to do with maths happen there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm surprised the old bridge isn't protected; didn't something historic to do with maths happen there?

No that's the eponymous Broombridge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That's Broombridge. William Rowan Hamilton carved the fundamental formula for quaternion multiplication on Broom Bridge. There's a plaque there now. That was my reasoning behind nominating Hamilton for the naming of the Malborough Street Bridge.

http://www.hamilton2005.ie/quaternions.html

That Fassaugh Road bridge is named after Liam Whelan, no? Wasn't he one of the Busby Babes killed in the Munich air disaster?

Will they rededicate it when it's done?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

Some work starting adjacent to Broombridge station. Bulldozing.

If that station looks even half as good as the pics https://www.luascrosscity.ie/galleries/broombridge-depot/ it will be a serious improvement on the area. Would the new station have 24 hour security?

Along with the new DIT sports facility thats meant to be built (eventually) across the road it will bring a lot of life to the area. http://paschaldonohoe.ie/minister-donohoe-visits-site-of-dit-all-weather-pitch-at-broombridge/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

nowecant wrote: »
    If that station looks even half as good as the pics it will be a serious improvement on the area. Would the new station have 24 hour security?

Along with the new DIT sports facility thats meant to be built (eventually) across the road it will bring a lot of life to the area.

Do artist impressions ever come true?!
    But yes, a depot will really improve security and rejuvenate that station.

Work on the DIT facility on the other side of the road seems to be going full steam ahead. Good view of the site from the train now that some walls or hedging have been removed.

shoehorn wrote: »
    Do artist impressions ever come true?!

Amazingly so in my opinion - certainly in relation to transport projects in the past decade.

Not surprising really, given they are based on the plans.

One complaint - the "now" picture always seems to be taken on a dull day at a terrible angle while the "future" always seems to be blue skies and high summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

One complaint - the "now" picture always seems to be taken on a dull day at a terrible angle while the "future" always seems to be blue skies and high summer!

I thought the Now picture was quite flattering to Broombridge. Nothing is on fire, there are no horses on the platform being used to test the physical resiliency of anything and there's no sign of scumbags lining up to throw stuff at an arriving train.

markpb wrote: »
    I thought the Now picture was quite flattering to Broombridge. Nothing is on fire, there are no horses on the platform being used to test the physical resiliency of anything and there's no sign of scumbags lining up to throw stuff at an arriving train.

Probably photo-shopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

nowecant wrote: »
    If that station looks even half as good as the pics https://www.luascrosscity.ie/galleries/broombridge-depot/ it will be a serious improvement on the area. Would the new station have 24 hour security?

Along with the new DIT sports facility thats meant to be built (eventually) across the road it will bring a lot of life to the area. http://paschaldonohoe.ie/minister-donohoe-visits-site-of-dit-all-weather-pitch-at-broombridge/
    IMO both areas are prime for redevelopment and (particularly NCR) criminally neglected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

IMO both areas are prime for redevelopment and (particularly NCR) criminally neglected.

Are you saying the criminals have neglected the NCR?

I hope they neglect where I live.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭trellheim

new big wall showing nicely at *west* side of Broadstone depot ( can only be viewed from Grangegorman as you walk up toward the clock tower ) , this will be one side of the luas tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Some earth-mover action at Broombridge station these days - workers seemed to be clearing an access point to Broombridge Road. It's great to see some action down our end of the line...

trellheim wrote: »
    new big wall showing nicely at *west* side of Broadstone depot ( can only be viewed from Grangegorman as you walk up toward the clock tower ) , this will be one side of the luas tracks

You can see this in the latest progress pictures of the Grangegorman Development Agency website and Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/382314786412/photos/a.10150160610671413.342978.382314786412/10153226501681413/?type=1&theater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

RTE reporting that the College Green Bus Gate will be in operation from 7am to 7pm from the end of August to the end of November to facilitate track laying.

Some additional permanent changes to come into effect at a later stage will be:
    - No right turn from Dawson Street to Nassau Street
    - No right turn from Westmoreland Street to D'Olier Street
    - No right turn from O'Connell Bridge to Eden Quay
    - No right turn from O'Connell Street to Cathal Brugha Street.

The full article is here:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0611/707492-dublin-transport/

Advertisement