Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I see there is no left turn from Dawson onto grafton for a period of 6 months, from the 18th. I assume with a closure this long they will actually lay the track and not just divert the utilities?

Does anyone know how the utility works are progressing? Will we see track being laid during Q2 along the route?

I see from the website it suggests the 6 month closure is for the utility contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

AngryLips wrote: »
    Luckily, you will be gifted with the alternative of having a Luas on your doorstep
    Assuming the poster actually lives near Broadstone and doesn't pass it regularly or commutes nearby...

Correct, I live in Finglas so am unlikely ever to use the Luas extension. I'm just glad to see progress finally being made, even if it does mean I have to find a new cheap and handy petrol station to fill up in.

Just as an aside though from what I gather the Luas will take 24 minutes to run from Broombridge to SSGreen. It seems to me already that anyone getting on at the Phibsboro stops would be quicker taking the 140 to SSG than getting on the Luas, I reckon the 140 would do Phibs to SSG in around 15-17 minutes which is a fair difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just as an aside though from what I gather the Luas will take 24 minutes to run from Broombridge to SSGreen. It seems to me already that anyone getting on at the Phibsboro stops would be quicker taking the 140 to SSG than getting on the Luas, I reckon the 140 would do Phibs to SSG in around 15-17 minutes which is a fair difference.
    I am assuming the Luas journey time will be much more predictable though and that they will be way more frequent than the bus?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I am assuming the Luas journey time will be much more predictable though and that they will be way more frequent than the bus?

Well given you also have the 38/a/b/d and 46a making that same trip (albeit via Blessington Street), I'm not sure that the frequency on the LUAS will be higher than the combined frequency of the 38/a/b/d, 46a and 140.

Remember it is planned that only the Sandyford trams that will operate to/from Broombridge, so that's only half the service on the Green line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

lxflyer wrote: »
    Remember it is planned that only the Sandyford trams that will operate to/from Broombridge, so that's only half the service on the Green line.

Isn't it more like two thirds? I thought two of every three trams terminate in Sandyford?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Well given you also have the 38/a/b/d and 46a making that same trip (albeit via Blessington Street), I'm not sure that the frequency on the LUAS will be higher than the combined frequency of the 38/a/b/d, 46a and 140.

Wouldn't be worth walking from Broadstone (at least the vicinity of the Maxol garage) to the NCR or Berkeley St. surely? It's about a 6 to 8 minute walk, even if the Luas is not as frequent after Parnell Square.

Wouldn't be worth walking from Broadstone (at least the vicinity of the Maxol garage) to the NCR or Berkeley St. surely? It's about a 6 to 8 minute walk, even if the Luas is not as frequent after Parnell Square.

I was making the comment with regard to Phibsborough, as per the previous post, not Broadstone.

AngryLips wrote: »
    Isn't it more like two thirds? I thought two of every three trams terminate in Sandyford?

Except during the morning peak it's every second tram.

It's one tram in three during a limited period in the morning peak, with two out of three operating from Brides Glen (not that I'd expect 1 in 3 to be the pattern of trams going to Broombridge).

Neither of those two frequencies is going to be higher than the combined bus services from Phibsborough - that much is pretty clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I was making the comment with regard to Phibsborough, as per the previous post, not Broadstone.
    Ah true that. It's a mistake I often make in reading "Phibsboro" as Broadstone. Though about that point, there are two bus stops involved and they're not right next to each other enough to allow standing between them to watch for the next bus and it also involves placing a good bit of trust in the RTPI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

The main contract was awarded to the Sisk Steconfer bid last week.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/ojecform.asp?OJEC=3&PID=69020&PUB=3&PUBID=141769&PAGE=/insidemain.asp&FRID=V

Presumably there will be a press release soon

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bray Head

There are big enough changes to a lot of bus services in the city centre from tomorrow, Sunday 18 January. Essentially less use of Dawson st and no use of Suffolk st from what I can tell. It's not clear if the changes are permanent or only for the duration of the works.

Full details here with an example of what happens to the 14s and 15s here.

I think diverting all 145s, 46as and 39as to the east of TCD is going to inevitably lead to longer journey times. The changes to the timetables would suggest that DB anticipate this.

I've never been convinced that the benefit of putting a very slow Luas through the city centre would offset the impact on the bus service. I guess we'll find out more in the next few weeks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Bray Head wrote: »
    It's not clear if the changes are permanent or only for the duration of the works.

It's still up in the air.

I think diverting all 145s, 46as and 39as to the east of TCD is going to inevitably lead to longer journey times. The changes to the timetables would suggest that DB anticipate this.

Any works such as this will also mean longer journey times for many car trips, so if buses are given half decent priority they could end up more and not less attractive.

Such priority seems very much so lacking on the Camden Street route inbound.

I've never been convinced that the benefit of putting a very slow Luas through the city centre would offset the impact on the bus service. I guess we'll find out more in the next few weeks.

If all goes to plan, we'll find out in late 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Could anyone(lxflyer?) estimate how much extra time this will add to journeys? Nassau St/Lincoln Pl/Westland Row/Pearse St seem to me like fairly clear roads for buses, not that many traffic lights. I'm estimating maybe a max of 10 minutes more, but more likely to be broadly similiar to current times. The current route through Suffolk St can take an age with waiting for a spot to pull in, then dealing with cars turning in from St Andrews St, and then 3 traffic lights in a short distance. Getting back onto Westmoreland St from the diversion will probably be a bottleneck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

monument wrote: »
    Such priority seems very much so lacking on the Camden Street route inbound.

if Camden/Wexford/Aungier/George's St, Dame Street, College Green and Dawson Street were made public transport only then there wouldn't be much difference to journey times if bus routes were routed via College Green or via George's Street. Access to the car parks could still be provided by routing private vehicles through Stephen's Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

I drove that route today and a descent attempt at bus priority seems to have badded done. The double bus lane along Pearse st will be interesting to see in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Suffolk street has two way road markings now, they seem to be of the permanent variety. Any ideas what the story is there? Traffic can't travel eastwards on suffolk st. anyway without changing the direction of flow for Andrew Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

cgcsb wrote: »
    Suffolk street has two way road markings now, they seem to be of the permanent variety. Any ideas what the story is there? Traffic can't travel eastwards on suffolk st. anyway without changing the direction of flow for Andrew Street.
    Wasn't that planned actually? Could be wrong, but plans to change the direction of Andrew sound vaguely familiar.

Andrew Street is already one way northbound as it is between Trinity Street and Church Lane.

Suffolk Street is now two-way to facilitate delivery traffic for Suffolk Street and Grafton Street. Traffic will access it from Dame Street via Trinity Street and Andrew Street.

https://www.luascrosscity.ie/news/lcc-closure-of-left-turn-from-dawson-st-to-nassau-st/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Great news for cyclists travelling from Dame St to Nassau St and beyond. Previously that was impossible (without making an illegal turn at College Green).

Separately, I'm loving these Luas maps -- very modren indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Oh right, I see now, the other part of Andrew st goes the other way. it is a much nicer space now I have to admit as a pedestrian. No more battling through overcrowded stops or trying to cross in between double deckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Crossing Suffolk Street was particularly dangerous -- heavy buses, speeding taxis, and silent bicycles. It's great that Molly Malone has a bit more space around her now and isn't clogging up the Grafton/Suffolk junction any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Found cycling down Church Lane and turning right onto Dame St to be fun this week. Headphone-clad pedestrians seem to have decided that with right turning buses no longer an issue that its not worth their while to even look up and instead just step out onto the street.
    A wet surface, a steep downward hill and a Dublin Bike with their skiddy brakes have seen me have to do emergency stops twice despite consciously slowing my speed and ringing bell a few times.

Obviously I know they've had to do it for the Luas build.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is the road closure outside the entrance to DIT aungier street to due with bus diversions down aungier street/geroge's street?

Yes - it's a six month trial.

Obviously way to late but does anyone know why BXD goes up Dominic street and not in front of the rotunda? I would have thought a stop right outside the door would be preferable?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭obriendj

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Obviously way to late but does anyone know why BXD goes up Dominic street and not in front of the rotunda? I would have thought a stop right outside the door would be preferable?

Do you mean Frederick Street?

Is there not a back entrance to the Rotunda?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

obriendj wrote: »

It doesn't go up Frederick Street. But I think the three stops that are less than 3 minutes walk from the Rotunda will be more than enough.

As for why it doesn't go up Parnell Square West - I suspect that's because that street is a major bus corridor, and the junction of it and Dorset Street is very tight. Plus then it'd have very limited space getting around St Marys Church (I think that's the name). Plus then Western Way is another bus corridor, and there would be a very tight turn to get it lined up for Broadstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

obriendj wrote: »

I think he means Parnell Square West; although IIRC it doesn't go on PSQ at all, both lines are on Dominic St

• Advertisement

I think he means Parnell Square West; although IIRC it doesn't go on PSQ at all, both lines are on Dominic St

Yeah meant Parnell square west, thinking about it maybe they were concerned about ambulance access to the hospital.

Advertisement