Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Broombridge is a bit of a disaster right now but as Luas trams will be stored there at night time they are going to need 24/7 security, its going to be a large site with not just terminus platforms but also lots of buildings to store trams before they enter service. Lets hope that extra security will eventually make Broombridge a lot cleaner than it is right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Broombridge is a bit of a disaster right now but as Luas trams will be stored there at night time they are going to need 24/7 security, its going to be a large site with not just terminus platforms but also lots of buildings to store trams before they enter service. Lets hope that extra security will eventually make Broombridge a lot cleaner than it is right now.

I think armed guards would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

lol, and tanks, we need tanks too :pac:

Seriously though it'll take a bit of time for the security guards on site to deal with the little scrotes that blight Broombridge but I reckon within 12 months of opening the station should be in a lot better spot than it is right now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Seriously though it'll take a bit of time for the security guards on site to deal with the little scrotes that blight Broombridge but I reckon within 12 months of opening the station should be in a lot better spot than it is right now
    Hopefully - I do hope that that's the idea with enhanced services the area will increase in quality without necessarily gentrifying entirely.

Agreed. I wasn't being entirely serious but it would be nice if it could function as a transport interchange as intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

Pic here of what the Luas Broombridge stop is meant to look like

https://www.luascrosscity.ie/galleries/broombridge-depot/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

the site is often used for bonfires on haloween

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

nowecant wrote: »
    Pic here of what the Luas Broombridge stop is meant to look like

https://www.luascrosscity.ie/galleries/broombridge-depot/

Somehow, I doubt there is going to be much antisocial behavior once the luas is built. Part of the reason antisocial behavior is attracted to the site at the moment is because of the derelict nature of the site. That won't be the case anymore once luas is built.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

AngryLips wrote: »
    Somehow, I doubt there is going to be much antisocial behavior once the luas is built. Part of the reason antisocial behavior is attracted to the site at the moment is because of the derelict nature of the site. That won't be the case anymore once luas is built.

One hopes....judging by the posts here Broomsbridge sounds like some from the Zombie Apocalypse.....

One hopes....judging by the posts here Broomsbridge sounds like some from the Zombie Apocalypse.....
    Zombies only inhabit the dead zones anyway, they can't exist in living areas.
    So it'll probably be completely different after the rebuild.

• Advertisement

It's a shame IE are not using the opportunity to revamp their part of the station. An important interchange like this could benefit from a sheltered walkway between the two modes with wider section of the platform on the IE side and even a station kiosk for a retail opportunity.

It's a shame IE are not using the opportunity to revamp their part of the station.

They obviously don't want to raise the tone of the neighbourhood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It's a shame IE are not using the opportunity to revamp their part of the station. An important interchange like this could benefit from a sheltered walkway between the two modes with wider section of the platform on the IE side and even a station kiosk for a retail opportunity.

It's a share IE don't close the station, if that happened the lovely parents in the area would get they sprogs in order.

IE should not spend a PENNY at the station with or without the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Given that the RPA don't envisage huge numbers transferring there in their business case, would that be warranted.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Given that the RPA don't envisage huge numbers transferring there in their business case, would that be warranted.

If there will be a dart service at 15 min frequencies at some point in the future that may change somewhat.

If there will be a dart service at 15 min frequencies at some point in the future that may change somewhat.

That's a long way down the line. Plenty of time to do whatever works are needed as part of a DART rollout programme rather than spending the funds on more urgent projects.

As I said, the RPA do not envisage large numbers transferring there in the business case. Considering that it would require people paying twice or using multi-mode prepaid tickets I can agree with that view, considering most trains serve Tara Street and Pearse.

Also, with LUAS only planned at a maximum frequency of every 6 minutes, it would be rather difficult to judge when to get a tram from the city centre to connect with the trains, given that there is no public timetable for LUAS and the low frequency of trains.

I can see most people staying on the trains to/from the city centre.

That's a long way down the line. Plenty of time to do whatever works are needed as part of a DART rollout programme rather than spending the funds on more urgent projects.

As I said, the RPA do not envisage large numbers transferring there in the business case. Considering that it would require people paying twice or using multi-mode prepaid tickets I can agree with that view, considering most trains serve Tara Street and Pearse.

Also, with LUAS only planned at a maximum frequency of every 6 minutes, it would be rather difficult to judge when to get a tram from the city centre to connect with the trains, given that there is no public timetable for LUAS and the low frequency of trains.

It would suit me to travel Maynooth/Dundrum but it seems Interchangers will need a Special set of Skills. That and impeccably timed connections :O

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Is it confirmed one way or another re the Irish Rail station revamp?

Your way is one way of looking at it, another way is that it serves current users / new users in the near future badly and does not help with the effort to clean up the current station area.

Nearly sure the planned Irish Rail lift was mentioned in the BXD planning, so there could be planning issues and there clearly would be access issues. But we don't seem to care about such things in Ireland...

With no IR station revamp, it could be a self-fulfilling prophecy. On the otherhand, the RPA has been shown to be sometimes very poor at predicting user numbers.

Re paying, rail and light rail should be on the one zone system.
    Also, with LUAS only planned at a maximum frequency of every 6 minutes, it would be rather difficult to judge when to get a tram from the city centre to connect with pthe trains, given that there is no public timetable for LUAS and the low frequency of trains.

It's still a high-frequency service by Dublin and general standards, so there's little or no need for a timetable.

For Docklands bound trains, it would be better to transfer for all city centre areas.

Grangegorman alone would have significant or at least notable passenger numbers (as any one location could have notable numbers of transfer passengers).

And if the lift was put in place at Broombridge it would clearly be better to transfer there for anywhere on the green line or red line.

From a broad public transport perspective, they should be accommodating people as much as possable to use transfers which make sense for people and pricing and transfer quality should be aimed at making that possible. if they were accommodating in such ways they could attract extra passengers out of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

No problem getting off a Maynooth train and catching a Luas into the city - it's doing it the other way around that could be difficult given the low frequency of the trains and the potential for delays on the cross-city trams.

I notice "they" have stopped using Luas BXD (long ago) or even 'Luas cross city' and are now describing it as the "Green line extension".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I notice "they" have stopped using Luas BXD (long ago) or even 'Luas cross city' and are now describing it as the "Green line extension".

Who is "they"?

The website is luascrosscity.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

so when it is all done, is there a final name for it - just Green Line ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

trellheim wrote: »

Id imagine its just going to be the Green Line yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Presumably just Green Line. Same way the Citywest and Docklands extensions are part of the Red line.

What name would you have expected?

The line is an extension of the Green Line and will be called precisely that. The Green Line.

LUAS BXD and LUAS Cross City are purely project names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

I always wondered why they never called it simply 'Green Line Extension' instead of the rather laboured BXD and Luas Cross City.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

BXD was a combination of the BX and D route options and was always going to be a temporary name.

Cross City is a project name used to communicate to the public about the works that are ongoing in a geographically specific way (as opposed to the Cherrywood Green Line Extension for example).

monument wrote: »
    Is it confirmed one way or another re the Irish Rail station revamp?

Your way is one way of looking at it, another way is that it serves current users / new users in the near future badly and does not help with the effort to clean up the current station area.

Nearly sure the planned Irish Rail lift was mentioned in the BXD planning, so there could be planning issues and there clearly would be access issues. But we don't seem to care about such things in Ireland...

With no IR station revamp, it could be a self-fulfilling prophecy. On the otherhand, the RPA has been shown to be sometimes very poor at predicting user numbers.

Re paying, rail and light rail should be on the one zone system.

It's still a high-frequency service by Dublin and general standards, so there's little or no need for a timetable.

For Docklands bound trains, it would be better to transfer for all city centre areas.

Grangegorman alone would have significant or at least notable passenger numbers (as any one location could have notable numbers of transfer passengers).

And if the lift was put in place at Broombridge it would clearly be better to transfer there for anywhere on the green line or red line.

From a broad public transport perspective, they should be accommodating people as much as possable to use transfers which make sense for people and pricing and transfer quality should be aimed at making that possible. if they were accommodating in such ways they could attract extra passengers out of cars.

I never mentioned lifts nor did I reply to a post mentioning lifts.

I was looking at the situation from a practical short-medium term perspective, rather than in the distant future.

Given that there has been no indication that multi-mode fare zones will be rolled out, I fear that won't be happening anytime soon. Therefore, looking at it from a practical perspective, less people are going to switch if they have to pay twice.

At present off-peak trains on the Maynooth line are hourly, and are, in the short to medium term, likely to operate at a maximum frequency of every 30 minutes off-peak. The point re frequency and the lack of a timetable on the Green line is relevant for anyone travelling from the city, as they will have to guess what time to get a tram (at a maximum 6 minute frequency) to connect with the hourly/half-hourly trams in the off-peak. If they miss the train, then they will have a long wait. Hence I suspect most people will still get the train from the city centre.

It's all well and good coming up with all of these ideas monument, but you also have to take into account of the actualities that surround it. I'm not disagreeing with you from an idealistic perspective, but the reality doesn't really meet with that.

At present off-peak trains on the Maynooth line are hourly, and are, in the short to medium term, likely to operate at a maximum frequency of every 30 minutes off-peak. The point re frequency and the lack of a timetable on the Green line is relevant for anyone travelling from the city, as they will have to guess what time to get a tram (at a maximum 6 minute frequency) to connect with the hourly/half-hourly trams in the off-peak. If they miss the train, then they will have a long wait. Hence I suspect most people will still get the train from the city centre.

Isn't your point kind of valid for anyone traveling to any station along the Maynooth route? it's not exactly unique to Broombridge or a reason neglect the potential interchange value of this station.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I never mentioned lifts nor did I reply to a post mentioning lifts.

I was looking at the situation from a practical short-medium term perspective, rather than in the distant future.

Given that there has been no indication that multi-mode fare zones will be rolled out, I fear that won't be happening anytime soon. Therefore, looking at it from a practical perspective, less people are going to switch if they have to pay twice.

It's all well and good coming up with all of these ideas monument, but you also have to take into account of the actualities that surround it. I'm not disagreeing with you from an idealistic perspective, but the reality doesn't really meet with that.

I would think that putting in lifts and a new bridge, as previously indicated, would be a core feature of a revamped station.

And a revamped station is far from idealistic, it should be seen as a basic element of Luas' arrival to the area. Indeed, ministers etc talked up the station as a transfer point.

Advertisement