Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Yeah meant Parnell square west, thinking about it maybe they were concerned about ambulance access to the hospital.

That plus it's a heavy bus and car traffic area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

MJohnston wrote: »
    As for why it doesn't go up Parnell Square West - I suspect that's because that street is a major bus corridor

There's no reason why the buses bound for Dorset st couldn't use Parnell Square East.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

guys I dont know this has been brought up on this thread before, but it appears to me that the amount of stops in the city centre is absolutely ridiculous on BXD, you could have one as SSG and the next at Westmoreland Street and the next at Parnell Square for example.

We now have luas being bandied about as an option for the airport, and possibly a tunnel to from SSG to Jervis to bypass all the other stops. If there were fewer stops in the city centre on BXD, the tunnel could be done without. I see two issue 1) I doubt luas is up to it, a capacity wise and b) unless they build that tunnel, the travel time is a joke IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Idbatterim wrote: »
    guys I dont know this has been brought up on this thread before, but it appears to me that the amount of stops in the city centre is absolutely ridiculous on BXD, you could have one as SSG and the next at Westmoreland Street and the next at Parnell Square for example.

We now have luas being bandied about as an option for the airport, and possibly a tunnel to from SSG to Jervis to bypass all the other stops. If there were fewer stops in the city centre on BXD, the tunnel could be done without. I see two issue 1) I doubt luas is up to it, a capacity wise and b) unless they build that tunnel, the travel time is a joke IMO.

It's a tram line not a metro. Tram stops tend to be much closer together, usually 400-500m apart, particularly in the city centre.

Your idea would also remove any connectivity between the two lines, such that there would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

markpb wrote: »
    There's no reason why the buses bound for Dorset st couldn't use Parnell Square East.

Aside from it being one-way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

MJohnston wrote: »
    Aside from it being one-way?

The paint probably isn't permant.

markpb wrote: »
    The paint probably isn't permant.

PSqE would become an absolute mess imo if the PSqW AND the existing bus traffic was routed there. There's still all of the other problems with the BXD going up PSqW that I mentioned too. I think they made the right choice.

BRT is planned to use Parnell Square East in both directions.

lxflyer wrote: »
    BRT is planned to use Parnell Square East in both directions.

With stops?

• Advertisement

Any plans for what happens to Western Way bound buses at the top of Parnell Square here?

We don't know yet - that level of detail has yet to be planned out.

I would imagine DB would wish to retain the bus routes along Parnell Square West.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We don't know yet - that level of detail has yet to be planned out.

I would imagine DB would wish to retain the bus routes along Parnell Square West.

Certainly in the face of privatisation. :)

Certainly in the face of privatisation. :)

Oh please, that's just nonsense, and nothing to do with this.

I'd suggest that you check your terms - it's route tendering and the first tranche is purely orbital routes so I really don't know what your point is.

I meant retaining PSQW for the routes going along Western Way or across to Mountjoy Square as otherwise you end up with more problems in terms of re-routing services.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yes - it's a six month trial.

I see, traffic on that street seems incredibly light since it closed but I don't think it was really bad with it open either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I think a lot of people were making right turns out of Bishop Street and it was being used as a rat run. Ey should have closed off access to Peter Row off Aungier St while they were at it too. It's far too dangerous at that junction, and the path is very confusing to follow. Especially given that it's at the entrance to one of the main college buildings in central Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I always found it odd that there's no way for pedestrians to cross to the college without j walking

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

So it is only the right turn from Bishop street to Aungier street that has been removed? http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic/current-roadworks-temporary-road-closures

Not the left around the Angier street DIT to Peter Row or the straight ahead to Diggs Street Upper? Seems like it might be hard to enforce

Also relating to Parnell Square I think the development of the Parnell Square Cultural Quarter will have an effect on traffic flow, especially as the plan seem to indicate the full pedestrianization of Parnell Square North http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic/current-roadworks-temporary-road-closures Something I am totally in favor of

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Never mind busses getting to western way, Blessington st could have a contra flow bus lane installed
    But wouldn't Charlie Parnell have something to say about the bounds of a bus route

• Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Saw this on Facebook, thought I might share it here.

342085.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know how the section at the former Maxol garage at Broadstone will look when finished? There was a motorcyclist killed there a couple of months ago and I've had two close misses myself at the point where buses go in and out of the depot. That spot is a disaster, there isn't even a white line denoting where vehicles should stop when exiting from Broadstone garage. Do they plan to build a slip road on the grassy bank for buses that are turning left exiting Broadstone? As it stands right now there is a dip in the road down Constitution Hill and I think drivers exiting the garage and turning left do not have a great view of what is to their right as they exit. Its also seems to be a disaster for buses turning right to get into Broadstone garage as cars come over the slight hill at speed while a slow moving bus is trying to get across two lanes of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Still seeing vehicles come down Bishop St, turn onto Peter Row, then enter Aungier St against one-way traffic onto Peter Row..

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

Does anyone know if the have started any work on the Station and Depot at Broombridge?

I see they have started working in the old railway cut recently but have no idea whats going on at the far end

stop wrote: »
    Still seeing vehicles come down Bishop St, turn onto Peter Row, then enter Aungier St against one-way traffic onto Peter Row..

Unreal - given that there are barriers to guide the traffic onto Peter Row and prevent such a turn.

Such people really should not be allowed on the roads.

Given that they only have to go 150m to turn onto Whitefriar Place from where they can legally turn onto Aungier Street, it just goes to show how some people really have no regard whatsoever for the rules of the road.
    nowecant wrote: »
    So it is only the right turn from Bishop street to Aungier street that has been removed? http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic/current-roadworks-temporary-road-closures

Not the left around the Angier street DIT to Peter Row or the straight ahead to Diggs Street Upper? Seems like it might be hard to enforce

All traffic coming along Bishop Street must turn left onto Peter Row - they cannot access Aungier Street or Digges Street Upper at all any more unless they make an exceptionally dodgy turn around some barriers as outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Does anyone know if the have started any work on the Station and Depot at Broombridge?

I see they have started working in the old railway cut recently but have no idea whats going on at the far end
    I'll have a look Saturday, but I don't think so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

monument wrote: »

link not working apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    link not working apparently!

Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'd seen new signs up on the platforms, nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The current works is only utilities diversions and enabling works contractors. The main contract for the construction of the actual tracks, platforms, overhead cabling, depot, etc. has not been awarded yet although this should happen in the next month or so.

Advertisement