Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

ecoli wrote: »
    Be careful about the "if an elite is doing it, can't be that bad" approach. Hall has (since publication of that) re-evaluated his diet regime and changed it accordingly.

I do however agree with the idea of aiming for healthier substitutions. Best advice I ever got recently is make a choice with every thing you eat. Weigh up the pro's and con's. Snacking and cravings can be habitual so taking time to evaluate can sometimes help the cravings pass

Advice duly noted. I started a food log recently after reading that book and ordered those lads to stop me having to enter a negative score for junk snacks etc. The bit in the book about the difference between "head hunger" and "belly hunger" struck a cord with me, so yes, I have started to evaluate what I'm eating in more detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Monday: 10 miles @ 7.15 pace. Early morning run along the canal. Nice run but running early in the day fires up my metabolism. Finding it hard to stay away from sugary crap today, only so much fibre a man can eat :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

TRR wrote: »
    slammed in work and slammed at home with sick babies etc :( so all very stressful stuff. Decided Tuesday I was going to skip BHAA race and I'm glad I did as it would have been a disaster.

Monday: 8 miles @ 7.15 pace nice run with company.

Tuesday: 6 miles @ 7 minute pace. Poxy night in hospital,was going to skip run but manned up and got out. Was in a bit of a fluster and forgot to pay for parking so got my car clamped. Sometimes the world seems to conspire against you!

Wednesday: enforced day off. Close to mental breakdown :D

Thursday: 8 mile run, no watch. This was epic for many reasons, had to literally drag myself out the door for it, I was hungry tired and well pissed off. Was going to stop after a mile of running into a gale force wind but carried on, anothr 1/2 mile later the rain hit me, I was close to tears. Manned up and got it done. Felt like superman after it. Absolutely character building. No race could hurt as much as this run. FACT!

Friday: 9 mile run, no watch. Savage weather. Stopped after 5 miles and took 5 minutrs to take in the sun and my surroundings. Most pleasant run of the year.

Saturday: 8 mile hilly run @ 6.30 pace. There was supposed to be a 5k to show solidarity with Boston marathon on Sunday afternoon in the Phoenix park. I knew I wouldn't make it so this was my own little tribute. Donned my Boston marathon jacket and hit a hill run I used while training for Boston a few years ago. A combination of anger, nostalgia, excitement and music pounding in my ears meant I absolutely buried myself (and I mean buried) on this run. There is one hill that requires you to drop into 2nd gear in your car it's so steep. I was running full tilt up it. Really enjoyable and a little emotional for a number of reasons but the endorphin rush was massive.

Sunday: In an absolute heap, quads in a jocker so was going to take the day off. Baby needed formulae so instead of driving to supermarket I said I'd jog the 2 miles there and the 2 miles back. Made the mistake of putting music on again and a mixture of the tunes and thinking about some of the stellar performances by some of our boards friends in Boston and London this week meant I took a bit of a detour and hammered on 8 miles sub 7 minute pace. Probably a massive mistake but was very enjoyable.

The last 4 months have been a disaster for me in work. I'm essentially covering 2 guys who are on leave, this is one of the reasons I didn't sign up for a Spring marathon, knew it would be too stressful. However I'm now seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. Things are easing off and should be back to normal in the next 2-4 weeks.

42 weeks to donadea 50k.....Main goal over the next 4 weeks is to drop some weight. I've a fat man inside just bursting to get out, he's winning at the moment. I'm watching what I eat and am back weighing myself.
    :-) mo

ultraman1 wrote: »
    :-) mo

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

???
    gotta look at d small print;)

• Advertisement

Tuesday: 12 miles with 7 miles @ 6 minute pace. This hurt a lot, quads are still in a jock, bloody hill run, it was also quite humid out there. Sweat streaming out of me, had to whip off my top and flex the guns, two lucky ladies got to see the gun show so I'm sure they're delighted (or were put off their lunch ;)) Thankfully I had company for this or the faster section would have been cut short to 5 miles. A little dehydrated now. These tropical temperatures are hard to get use to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tuesday: 12 miles with 7 miles @ 6 minute pace. This hurt a lot, quads are still in a jock, bloody hill run, it was also quite humid out there. Sweat streaming out of me, had to whip off my top and flex the guns, two lucky ladies got to see the gun show so I'm sure they're delighted (or were put off their lunch ;))

Now I know why you revised your plan to include Dublin. Can't do that when training for a Spring marathon :D

Wednesday: 7 sluggish miles @ 7.30 pace along canal and some nice trails, nice and soft on the legs but my quads are still quite sore. Eating anti inflammatories like smarties.

Thursday: 11ish miles. No watch but pace was below 7 minute miles at a guess. Quads a little better today but I wasn't overly enthused about this run. Would have preferred to put it off until this evening but a good chance I wouldn't have time later so just happy to get it in the bag!

Had planned to run the Lisburn half marathon mid June but turns out I have a work thing on that night. Last year I ran a half in July and used it as a bench mark of sorts in that I aimed to be able the full marathon distance at whatever mile pace I was doing for the half in July. Would like to try something similar again this year so I'm going to find a suitable race (won't be same marathon as last year as wouldn't give the race director the steam off my ..........) I need a short term target to help me get my weekly mileage slightly up.

Also thinking of changing my log title. If I do a spring marathon next year it probably won't be Rotterdam. I've also got bigger fish to fry sooner :cool:

Friday: 10 glorious morning miles @ 6.50 pace. Super run in the sun. Broke out a a brand new pair of runners I bought a few months ago in a sale, my new training diary arrived yesterday, back into a good stretching routine the last week, diet back on track and dropped over a kilo in weight last week. All systems go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Lucky you ran earlier !!

What brand of runners you breaking in??

• Advertisement

Lucky you ran earlier !!

What brand of runners you breaking in??

I know, what a turn around. It was cool this morning but sunny so helped work on my base tan :)

Asics kayano. I've worn this brand/model for the last 11 years. They are really chunky and heavy but I've had issues with injury when trying to find an alternative. So now I go with the approach that if its not broke don't fix it! I use to run my marathons in them too but luckily I built up training miles in racers so don't race in them anymore.

Talking about breaking runners in, it's funny but I don't seem to need to do that anymore. I find that the runners are ready to go from day one. Having said that I got a cramp in my calf at 8 miles today and I put it down to the new runners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I know, what a turn around. It was cool this morning but sunny so helped work on my base tan :)

Asics kayano. I've worn this brand/model for the last 11 years. They are really chunky and heavy but I've had issues with injury when trying to find an alternative. So now I go with the approach that if its not broke don't fix it! I use to run my marathons in them too but luckily I built up training miles in racers so don't race in them anymore.

Talking about breaking runners in, it's funny but I don't seem to need to do that anymore. I find that the runners are ready to go from day one. Having said that I got a cramp in my calf at 8 miles today and I put it down to the new runners :)

I use Kayanos also but your idea of racers for marathons intrigues me. Can you give some background to make of racer and how you managed the switch across to them? Also, do you take longer to recover as a result? How much time do you reckon they save you?

belcarra wrote: »
    I use Kayanos also but your idea of racers for marathons intrigues me. Can you give some background to make of racer and how you managed the switch across to them? Also, do you take longer to recover as a result? How much time do you reckon they save you?

Oh you should definitely look into changing over. I think it's worth about 3-4 minutes for me. I only started looking into changing when hardworker pointed me towards some studies (can't remember them off the top of my head).

It took me a while to get use to the racers. I started off by running a weekly tempo in them, started at 6 and moved up to 10 miles and as the weeks went by introduced a second shorter recovery run in them. Did a couple of 20 mile runs in them also just to be sure the legs wouldn't cramp. I'd rather run 5 minutes slower in Kayanos than cramp and DNF. You've hit the nail on the head though, recovery time is longer. Especially for a big boy like me who is use to lots of cushioning ;)

I have a pair of Brooks ST5s. Thirstywork2 recommended them to me and I must say they are brilliant, still have a good bit of support. I know feck all about runners, I'm more interested in physiological performance than the aesthetics so you'd be better off asking one of the catwalk queens like meno about colours, weights, shapes etc :)

ps I should say krusty_clown only recently started wearing racers in marathons as well so he might have some advice as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have a pair of Brooks ST5s. Thirstywork2 recommended them to me and I must say they are brilliant, still have a good bit of support. I know feck all about runners, I'm more interested in physiological performance than the aesthetics so you'd be better off asking one of the catwalk queens like meno about colours, weights, shapes etc :)

I think Belcarra is used to wearing Kayanos like yourself so would need the support, I would only ever wear neutral racers/trainers so I couldn't offer him any advice

I wore a pair of ST5s a few times and tbh they felt like bricks to me. I am not used to their support features and they actually contributed to my injury woes at the time.....they would probably be perfect for Belcarra though.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think Belcarra is used to wearing Kayanos like yourself so would need the support, I would only ever wear neutral racers/trainers so I couldn't offer him any advice

I wore a pair of ST5s a few times and tbh they felt like bricks to me. I am not used to their support features and they actually contributed to my injury woes at the time.....they would probably be perfect for Belcarra though.

Belcarra, I think he just called you fat :)

Yes they are quite heavy compared to other racers. My plan is to drop to a pair with less cushioning sometime but probably not this year. As I said, if it's not broke .......

Belcarra, I think he just called you fat :)

Yes they are quite heavy compared to other racers. My plan is to drop to a pair with less cushioning sometime but probably not this year. As I said, if it's not broke .......

Belcarra is a lot thinner than me, but he obviously pronates and needs a bit of support structure to avoid injury. This normally makes the shoe heavier (as well as the cushioning). I love a bit of soft cushioning myself as long as it is light and neutral. You'll never get me in a pair of 5fingers or anything.

Absolutely agree with the 'ain't broke' thing, just that a shoe that works well for me, RQ, CL or Digger is unlikely to work well for you or Belcarra....

Especially for a big boy like me who is use to lots of cushioning ;)

A bit like this...?

Oh you should definitely look into changing over. I think it's worth about 3-4 minutes for me. I only started looking into changing when hardworker pointed me towards some studies (can't remember them off the top of my head).

It took me a while to get use to the racers. I started off by running a weekly tempo in them, started at 6 and moved up to 10 miles and as the weeks went by introduced a second shorter recovery run in them. Did a couple of 20 mile runs in them also just to be sure the legs wouldn't cramp. I'd rather run 5 minutes slower in Kayanos than cramp and DNF. You've hit the nail on the head though, recovery time is longer. Especially for a big boy like me who is use to lots of cushioning ;)

ps I should say krusty_clown only recently started wearing racers in marathons as well so he might have some advice as well.

Thanks for the great advice there tRR, I'm gonna look into this a bit more now as what's good for tRR, is good for belcarra! If it works then I'd be willing to settle for 2:45 myself!:pac: Seriosuly though 4-5 mins for you I guess would mean at least another minute extra for 3:15?

Yep, I'd be thinking the same also Meno!

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the great advice there tRR, I'm gonna look into this a bit more now as what's good for tRR, is good for belcarra!

That's the attitude, more people need to take heed of my great advice :D
    Seriosuly though 4-5 mins for you I guess would mean at least another minute extra for 3:15?

Yeah I guess so although they are all estimates on my part. It's hard to judge as I had different fitness levels, running different marathons in different shoes on different courses etc so lots of variables. However I regularly did a 10 miler in the racers during training and would be hitting ~59-60 minutes, forgot them one or two days and definitely seen a difference in time over the 10 miles of about a minute or so.

Thanks for the great advice there tRR, I'm gonna look into this a bit more now as what's good for tRR, is good for belcarra! If it works then I'd be willing to settle for 2:45 myself!:pac: Seriosuly though 4-5 mins for you I guess would mean at least another minute extra for 3:15?

Yep, I'd be thinking the same also Meno!

Thanks guys.

What size shoes are you John? I think my ST5's were 8.5, I gave them to digger but I don't think he uses them much either. I am sure he would give them to you if you want to try them out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What size shoes are you John? I think my ST5's were 8.5, I gave them to digger but I don't think he uses them much either. I am sure he would give them to you if you want to try them out?

Between them they've cut away half the shoe and soaked the tongue in blood, but sure don't mind that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

What size shoes are you John? I think my ST5's were 8.5, I swapped them with digger for a pair of Lunaracers but I don't think he uses them much either. I am sure he would give them to you if you want to try them out?

FYP.....;)

Yep, John.... They're a half size too big for me, Meno buys shoes anywhere between 6's and 9's.... Meno, are you looking at some of them upside down!! :D

Btw, good to see the log getting some use TRR ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

8.5? You guys have really small feet...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Zing!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Btw, good to see the log getting some use TRR ;)

Funny you mention this, I was looking at total views per log the other day and I'm way down the list. Like WTF, this log should be the first place all you losers go to. I'm actually thinking of discontinuing it as it's not getting the love it deserves! Your bleedin' bird has twice the views of my running oracle. Jesus, I just checked again and you have 10,000 more views than me!

Fcuk sake

That's cos mine have been in the shade from the lad :eek:

Funny you mention this, I was looking at total views per log the other day and I'm way down the list. Like WTF, this log should be the first place all you losers go to. I'm actually thinking of discontinuing it as it's not getting the love it deserves! Your bleedin' bird has twice the views of my running oracle. Jesus, I just checked again and you have 10,000 more views than me!

Fcuk sake

Well, get working on your log rather than hanging around my gaff all night drinking tea and eating my biscuits :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fcuk sake

Thats meno refreshing the page every few minutes to check if shes posted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Peckham

Interesting discussion. I've always trained and raced in sturdy Brooks Adrenaline (bar a few 5ks in flats). Have a voucher for Amphibian King that I'm thinking of using to buy something lighter that I could eventually use for the marathon. Have wondered about the risk-reward ratio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Fcuk sake

Exclusivity TRR. Coronation st is popular. The x factor is popular ;)

Advertisement