Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

TRR wrote: »
    Grand, I'll wait for you at the finish :p

Think I was 2 for 2 against you last year so you have it all to do :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Grand, I'll wait for you at the finish :p

Think I was 2 for 2 against you last year so you have it all to do :eek:

Oh you mean the 2 5ks I didn't train for while I was coming back from injury just after my mrs had baby number 2 and I wasn't sleeping? Are you counting Dublin marathon bitch?

Tuesday: 8+ uninspiring miles @ 6.50 pace. Wasn't really in the mood for this but wanted to get it done all the same. Would have liked to run a little slower but ran with a friend for 5 miles and he was dictating the pace, when he left I tried to slow down but it felt harder running slower as I was in a decent rhythm so just kept it steady enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Oh you mean the 2 5ks I didn't train for while I was coming back from injury just after my mrs had baby number 2 and I wasn't sleeping? Are you counting Dublin marathon bitch?

Sure im always coming back from injury but never use that as an excuse !!!
    If you look up Dublin marathon results I never ran it :D

Sure im always coming back from injury but never use that as an excuse !!!

Ha ha, true you have me there. The race is Saturday and 4 days is a long time in your running life. Enough time for you to get injured, make a come back and then get injured again :D See you Saturday

• Advertisement

WEDNESDAY: 8 MILES @ 7.15. Was going to slip run and take an unplanned rest day but got a running related email that helped guilt/inspire my lazy arse out the door.

Thursday: 7 easy miles @ 7.15. Cracking day for a run. Easing down for 5k race.

Friday: was supposed to do 4 handy miles with some strides but day got away from me meaning a late PM run was on the cards. Knocked it on the head as was very tired. No major loss in the grand scheme of things.

Saturday: Aim was to go sub 16.15 but in reality I was hoping for a sub 16 minute run. Felt it was there. Didn't wear the garmin and just pushed as hard as I could for as far as I could. People sometimes ask how they should run a 5k race and my answer is that after 2k they should want to drop out. Well I decided that I better practice what I preach, especially as I've been doing a lot of preaching lately with negative outcomes it seems ;)

Race went like this

1k: This feels too fast but I feel ok.
    2k: This is too fast maybe I should slow down.
    3k: Oh Jesus, I want to drop out
    4k: Oh jesus I'm going to crap myself, I'm never racing again.
    4.2k: Don't fart, don't fart.
    4.5k: 500 metres to go, suck it up you pussy (also don't fart)
    4.8k: See gantry and know it's ~200 metres away, here somebody crossing the line in 15.30, ah man lllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeegggggggggggiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttt
    5k: 15.59. Results but I'm finding it hard to stand and think I may be speaking Latin.

Total results, very happy with race. I've highlighted that word as that's how I treated it. I decided to race it and try to stick behind some people, ahead of others and keep others within sight. After the marathon I said I was dumping the garmin in races and I'm seeing the benefit. So far 2nd fastest ever 10k and 3rd fastest 5k ever.

I'm also running a little experiment on myself and purposely avoiding doing sessions for a while. I'll explain sometime next week but the take home message is based on reviewing previous training diaries of mine and also recent entries I get a lot from aerobic miles alone and while sessions can ave massive benefits for me, they can also have serious negative impacts as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Nicely.

I am probably going in a 5k next week pretty much as a fitness test. I will try to get as close to 17 mins as I can. I think it is fair to say you will wipe the floor with me in April!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Brilliant time. Congrats!

Your speedwork free strategy is working. The dream really. Getting faster with reduced risk of injury (well, running related injury, if you keep this up ill injure you myself during this pacing gig :) )

Report had me laughing out loud too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I have a photo of you running beside LB ( I'll send it on ), I wonder if she has any idea how close she was to being sharted on :D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I have a photo of you running beside LB ( I'll send it on ), I wonder if she has any idea how close she was to being sharted on :D

Oh please do :) I'll add it to my bank of photos ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You've been such a b@$t4rd lately that the whole forum was hoping you'd mess this one up, unfortunately not to be. Nice one on reminding what races are all about, and sub 16 well deserved.

Oh please do :) I'll add it to my bank of photos ;)

:D

Sunday: 50 minutes recovery run. I won't lie, legs were sore. Not tired just very very sore. That's the downside of doing no speed work. It's such a shock to the system the body doesn't know what hit it. A lot of muscle damage me thinks.

Monday: 14 miles @ 7.15. Legs still quite sore, although I compounded the problem by firstly crawling around a play centre after a 3 year old for 2 hours Sunday afternoon and then tacking a few pints of Holland's finest Sunday evening. Plan was to do 10 miles, met up with a friend and he brought me on some crazy loop I ended up running longer than I wanted. To make matters worse I was dressed for freezing weather but it was actually quite temperate relative to yesterday, by mile 6 I was sweating and chaffing like a fat virgin on her debs night.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Smashing time on Saturday Dave. All looks very good for the rest of the year. Wait till you introduce some quality into your training, once you do, these type of races wont leave you as sore/flat.;) Keep her lit now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Regarding not wearing the Garmin in races, that's interesting. Though think I'd be too scared to do it!
    Might try it in some Park Runs though. I do wonder if it holds us back sometimes.

Great race by you, times I can only dream about!

Pronator wrote: »
    Smashing time on Saturday Dave. All looks very good for the rest of the year. Wait till you introduce some quality into your training, once you do, these type of races wont leave you as sore/flat.;) Keep her lit now:D

Thanks Ian. First time breaking 16 minutes in about 6 years so I'm happy enough. Reckon with another couple of 5ks over the coming months I should be able to have a pop at my PB ~15.40. I find 5ks such a hard race to run properly. It's hard to find the right tempo etc. With a bit of race practice I should be able to squeeze a few more seconds out of the legs
    Regarding not wearing the Garmin in races, that's interesting. Though think I'd be too scared to do it!
    Might try it in some Park Runs though. I do wonder if it holds us back sometimes.

Definitely try it, the majority of my best times have been run without the watch. Pick somebody out who is generally ahead of you and try to stick to them like glue. At the 3k mark last Saturday I was dying to know my split and had to restrain myself from asking one of the lads. In hindsight I'm glad as I know either way it would have knocked me back, if I thought it was too fast I may have eased off slightly and if was too slow I may have thrown the towel in a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Good stuff, although I've never met anybody who swings so much from one extreme to the other. New years day I think there were middle aged women taking you to the cleaners and now 2 months later you're dipping under 16mins........You're the athletics equivalent of the menstrual cycle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Definitely try it, the majority of my best times have been run without the watch. Pick somebody out who is generally ahead of you and try to stick to them like glue. At the 3k mark last Saturday I was dying to know my split and had to restrain myself from asking one of the lads. In hindsight I'm glad as I know either way it would have knocked me back, if I thought it was too fast I may have eased off slightly and if was too slow I may have thrown the towel in a little.

I think that was one of the things I enjoyed most about XC (bushy park aside) I wore the watch but never looked at it in any races. Not sure I could do it in longer races but maybe up to 5k.

If you've no watch you just have to keep running faster to make sure you're running fast enough,

tunguska wrote: »
    Good stuff, although I've never met anybody who swings so much from one extreme to the other. New years day I think there were middle aged women taking you to the cleaners and now 2 months later you're dipping under 16mins........You're the athletics equivalent of the menstrual cycle.

ha ha, I don't know if I should take that as an insult or a compliment :D In my defence when you texted me new years eve asking would I run the following day I was just finishing the largest fry up I have ever tackled. It was epic, about 6 superquinn sausages, black/white pudding, 2 eggs, 2 waffles, fried tomato and an entire superquinn turnover loaf of bread. I was doing a new year clean out :) But yes you are right, I was a bloody disgrace New years day. People thought I was hung over. Hung over on sausages would be about right!!!!

Tuesday: 10K run no time. This was a tasty little run, in fact it was a little bit sexy and nice and pacey Had limited time to fit it in as the Mrs was heading out the evening. Just stuck on the shoes and headed out the door. Legs were moving nicely. Tiredness gone although can still feel some tender muscles.

ha ha, I don't know if I should take that as an insult or a compliment :D In my defence when you texted me new years eve asking would I run the following day I was just finishing the largest fry up I have ever tackled. It was epic, about 6 superquinn sausages, black/white pudding, 2 eggs, 2 waffles, fried tomato and an entire superquinn turnover loaf of bread. I was doing a new year clean out :) But yes you are right, I was a bloody disgrace New years day. People thought I was hung over. Hung over on sausages would be about right!!!!

Definitely a compliment. Although my arteries are clogging just reading about that fry up.

• Advertisement

Wednesday: 9.5 miles @ 7.05 pace. Was a little pissed off as running companion left me hanging around and I was going to cut this to 6 miles as I was running lates but I decided once I was out and extra 20 minutes or lateness or so was going to make little difference. Feeling good and the legs are nearly back to normal. Have a bit of man flu. Thankfully there is a new man in the hotseat in the vatican so I'm sure I'm in his prayers and with the grace of allah god I should pull through. May be racing Sunday. Had hoped to hit Dunboyne for an all out assault on my 4 mile PB, usually gets a great field so would have been pulled around to a fast time but the 3pm start doesn't suit so maybe hitting a 5k earlier in the day. If I make it through the night I'll enter tomorrow.

. Have a bit of man flu.

Jesus man, I'm lighting candles this minute. I, more than most, know the perilous danger that the onset of this Ebola-like affliction can present. I'll text your missus to make sure she has the towels, hot water, kitchen rolls and Vicks at the ready ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Jesus man, I'm lighting candles this minute. I, more than most, know the perilous danger that the onset of this Ebola-like affliction can present. I'll text your missus to make sure she has the towels, hot water, kitchen rolls and Vicks at the ready ;)

I don't know what I'm more afraid of. The fact I have this life threatening virus or the fact digger has my mrs' number. I could wake up tomorrow morning to find him in my bed towelling my brow and doing god knows what to poor mrs TRR :)

Thursday: 8 magnificent wet, windy and wild miles @ 6.40 pace. Legs feeling great today. Poxy evening out but was doing a loop from the house so had the wind with me as well as against me. Really enjoyed this for some reason. Usually hate running in the wind.

Friday: 8 miles @ 6.55 pace. OK so I enjoyed running in the wind yesterday but not so much today. It was horrific. Ran through Carton house, the wind that blows through the driveway of that place is unbelievable. Had to turn my head to catch my breath. Felt like I was swimming. Will take it handy tomorrow and hopefully run the 5k on Sunday. Heading for a few pints later though so that will give you an idea how this race rates, more about a bit of fun and a hard work out.

Man flu is grand as the day goes on, feel awful in the morning but once I clear nasal passage it's grand. I'm being very careful in the house, trying not to pass this virus onto Mrs TRR or princess TRR obviously it has the ability to seriously attack individuals who have XX syndrome ;) TRR junior should be able to survive it so I'm not so worried about him ;)

Saturday: 30 minutes easy run with strides. Didn't feel that easy if I'm honest. Legs quite heavy and calves very tight.

Sunday: 8 miles total including 5k race. Nice little race out in Clongowes although the poxy weather conditions meant any sort of decent time was off the cards. Ended up running on my own for the majority, don't know if it was lack of immediate running competition, cold windy weather or sore legs but I ended up with 17.17. Not a great run but better than anything I could have managed outside race conditions so happy enough with the work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just copped from FB that you won. Congrats on that!! had a feeling the time was a bit slow and now I know why. You're a man that only thrives on competition.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just copped from FB that you won. Congrats on that!! had a feeling the time was a bit slow and now I know why. You're a man that only thrives on competition.

A nemesis more so than competition ;). Yes race was a bit light of competition as Dunboyne was on in the afternoon (Would have done it myself but the 3pm start didn't suit me.) and it is a big draw for local clubs. However I don't think I would have went much faster with competition, have a bit of a sinus infection and legs are still recovering from last weeks 5k. You see there is a downside to pure aerobic running!!!

Monday: 8.5 cold windy miles @ 7.30. Felt much quicker if I'm honest but wasn't concerned with pace so not an issue. Did the majority of this with ecoli.

Tuesday: 6.5 miles easy. Ran this without a watch. My man flu is still with me. It's not that bad really but I feel like crap first thing in the morning, sinus and back of throat very sore altough does improve as day goes on. I'm very tired as well. Getting lots of sleep at night but it's still not enough. Was off today minding the kids and thankfully they both napped at the same time so I took the opportunity to grab an hour sleep in the morning and the afternoon. Feel a little run down still so didn't push run this evening. Hopefully they will find a vaccine for this terrible disease :pac:

Thinking about changing the title of my log again. I'm accelerating my attempt at a sub 2.30 marathon to this years Dublin marathon. Putting together a great training group and we're devising our summer plans. Excitingtimes.com

• Advertisement

Thinking about changing the title of my log again. I'm accelerating my attempt at a sub 2.30 marathon to this years Dublin marathon. Putting together a great training group and we're devising our summer plans. Excitingtimes.com

Now that there is fightin' talk......

Proposed new name for log: Devastatin' Dave the turntable slave

208274198_3553ed1394.jpg

Advertisement