Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

TRR wrote: »
    He did. It's alway handy to know a dodgy Del Boy ;)

Ha exactly always good to know low people in high places (think that may be an unwritten motto for most Tallaght sporting organizations:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Wednesday: 7 miles @ 7.05 pace. This was supposed to be slower but the legs are purring at the moment. I guess 7 minute pace feels easy when you've ran a sub 5 minute mile and 7*6 minute miles recently. Having said that, it was supposed to be recovery so bold boy sticker on my copy book.

Really looking forward to Sunday now. When I realised I'd made a cock up and may not be entered I wasn't too put out as it would allow me to really focus on the BHAA 10k on the 20th of April. I reckon with good conditions I could go sub 33 minutes on that course. However the GIR route is a toughie and anything around 33.40 would be good going for where I'm at the moment. As I'm not doing a lot of high mileage I reckon my recovery from GIR to K-club won't be sufficient to run a really fast time, with that in mind I'm going to put all my eggs into one basket and really bury myself on Sunday. Have a good knowledge of the course and ran smart on it 2 years ago for 33.50 on a windy day. Time, while important won't be my primary goal, it is the national 10k after all so I'll be trying to finish as far up the field as I can. Will probably leave the garmin at home again although I'm toying with the idea of wearing it so not to go off too hard on the first 5k. In a sick sort of way I'm really looking forward to the S-bends and the climb out of the fury glen, that's where the wheels will be coming off for some runners and I hope to be motoring at that stage. Deadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Wednesday: 7 miles @ 7.05 pace. This was supposed to be slower but the legs are purring at the moment. I guess 7 minute pace feels easy when you've ran a sub 5 minute mile and 7*6 minute miles recently. Having said that, it was supposed to be recovery so bold boy sticker on my copy book.

Really looking forward to Sunday now. When I realised I'd made a cock up and may not be entered I wasn't too put out as it would allow me to really focus on the BHAA 10k on the 20th of April. I reckon with good conditions I could go sub 33 minutes on that course. However the GIR route is a toughie and anything around 33.40 would be good going for where I'm at the moment. As I'm not doing a lot of high mileage I reckon my recovery from GIR to K-club won't be sufficient to run a really fast time, with that in mind I'm going to put all my eggs into one basket and really bury myself on Sunday. Have a good knowledge of the course and ran smart on it 2 years ago for 33.50 on a windy day. Time, while important won't be my primary goal, it is the national 10k after all so I'll be trying to finish as far up the field as I can. Will probably leave the garmin at home again although I'm toying with the idea of wearing it so not to go off too hard on the first 5k. In a sick sort of way I'm really looking forward to the S-bends and the climb out of the fury glen, that's where the wheels will be coming off for some runners and I hope to be motoring at that stage. Deadly

TRR knowing the nature of the course would you be looking to bank some time in the first 5K without going off too hard, or run even splits but knowing that the 2nd half will take a lot more effort out of you.

Am doing the race myself and trying to figure out the best way to approach it and see what way others view the best way of running this course.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    TRR knowing the nature of the course would you be looking to bank some time in the first 5K without going off too hard, or run even splits but knowing that the 2nd half will take a lot more effort out of you.

Am doing the race myself and trying to figure out the best way to approach it and see what way others view the best way of running this course.

Here is my garmin trace from 2 years ago

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78663709

I was holding back slightly in the first half but because it's so fast ran ~16.30 then 17.20 for the second half. Obviously I was pushing a little harder in the second half so there is probably 60-90 seconds differential in first and second half of course in my opinion. You won't have to worry about the first half though, it's naturally fast, just hold a little back in reserve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good stuff TRR- I was running with Ecoli today and was saying how I'm psyched to be making my Tallaght debut (in a team race anyway). I reckon I'm gonna go out hard like a mad ejjit and try and hang on- which hill do you reckon hurts more, Military Hill or the exit from the Furry Glen?

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »
    Good stuff TRR- I was running with Ecoli today and was saying how I'm psyched to be making my Tallaght debut (in a team race anyway). I reckon I'm gonna go out hard like a mad ejjit and try and hang on- which hill do you reckon hurts more, Military Hill or the exit from the Furry Glen?

Depends how hard you go out :) Furry glen probably

You've been keeping a low profile, what sort of shape are you in? (watches his back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Depends how hard you go out :) Furry glen probably

You've been keeping a low profile, what sort of shape are you in? (watches his back)

No need to worry. I got married in late Feb and honeymoon went into March so very little running for a few weeks. Have been back on track over the last month though so reckon 35:xx on this course would be decent. Nice running by you as of late btw

drquirky wrote: »
    No need to worry. I got married in late Feb and honeymoon went into March so very little running for a few weeks. Have been back on track over the last month though so reckon 35:xx on this course would be decent. Nice running by you as of late btw

Congrats, I'll see you Sunday in the red and yellow ;)

Thursday: 10 miles @ 7 minute pace around college grounds and Royal canal. Bit of a meh run. Was bored but yet enjoyed this at the same time. Legs a little heavy, feel good but a little tiredness there. Will take it handy tomorrow and Saturday. Basically have 72 hours to recover before race on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck on Sunday.

Friday: 7 miles @ sub 7 minute pace. Carbon copy of Wednesday's run and if I didn't know the exact distance beforehand I would have said the garmin was acting up. Felt like I was absolutely jogging. Great sign I guess. I've noticed these jumps in pace in previous years as fitness starts to come back. Looking back a few months my easy pace went 7.20-7.15-7.05 and now very low 7s feel ham and cheesy. Long may it continue and continue to get quicker. Cracking morning out there, first bit of warmth I've felt in a while.

Really looking forward to following boardsies during their marathons this weekend/Monday, a few of them need to step up to the mark in Rotterdam and stop fcuking around, you know who you are ;) Have prerace nerves for Boston even though I'm not running :) Looking forward to seeing how Jimmy Saville and his teenage girlfriend get on :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Have you any info on a live feed for Boston?

I know you said you are taking the afternoon off on Monday, but apparently the race is not on Eurosport now :mad:

menoscemo wrote: »

I know you said you are taking the afternoon off on Monday, but apparently the race is not on Eurosport now :mad:

rom posted this on the Boston thread

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/event-information/tv-coverage.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

http://watchlive.baa.org/

Should be it

Nice one, might see If I can cry off early on monday too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

TRR best of Luck for Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You can only watch this live event stream from the following countries: United States, Japan, Germany, Russia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, India, Israel, and New Zealand
    Might need a proxy.

Might need a proxy.

Damn them Luxembourgians stealing our jobs, our woman and now our internet :D

Sunday: GIR 10k 34.55 :o This did not go according to script, I could blame wether and a number of other things but I just didn't run well. Head wasn't where it should have been and could not get into my running at all. Going to draw a line under it and move on because it's really pissing me off.

Sunday: GIR 10k 34.55 :o This did not go according to script, I could blame wether and a number of other things but I just didn't run well. Head wasn't where it should have been and could not get into my running at all. Going to draw a line under it and move on because it's really pissing me off.

You were well up the field and seemed to have pulled well away from the group you were with at 3k. I'd say it was just a case of slow times all round in those conditions.

You were well up the field and seemed to have pulled well away from the group you were with at 3k. I'd say it was just a case of slow times all round in those conditions.

The reason I'd pulled away was I went off too easy. Lads I should have been racing against had a good bit on me even at that stage. Thanks anyway

• Advertisement

The reason I'd pulled away was I went off too easy. Lads I should have been racing against had a good bit on me even at that stage. Thanks anyway

Fair enough, but it didn't look that easy at the 3k mark :P

It's a bitch of a course at the best of times, I can only imagine what it was like racing today. I was getting it tough just jogging today in places.

Fair enough, but it didn't look that easy at the 3k mark :P

It's a bitch of a course at the best of times, I can only imagine what it was like racing today. I was getting it tough just jogging today in places.

relative to the last 3k it was easy :) still could have been worse wanted to drop out but didn't. Also relative to the conditions/luck the lads had in Rotterdam today I'm just being a hissy bitch. At least I can try and make amends next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I think thats a super time of a crappy course in weather warning conditions.

I think thats a super time of a crappy course in weather warning conditions.

Same for the lads who were in front of me as well though!

slammed in work and slammed at home with sick babies etc :( so all very stressful stuff. Decided Tuesday I was going to skip BHAA race and I'm glad I did as it would have been a disaster.

Monday: 8 miles @ 7.15 pace nice run with company.

Tuesday: 6 miles @ 7 minute pace. Poxy night in hospital,was going to skip run but manned up and got out. Was in a bit of a fluster and forgot to pay for parking so got my car clamped. Sometimes the world seems to conspire against you!

Wednesday: enforced day off. Close to mental breakdown :D

Thursday: 8 mile run, no watch. This was epic for many reasons, had to literally drag myself out the door for it, I was hungry tired and well pissed off. Was going to stop after a mile of running into a gale force wind but carried on, anothr 1/2 mile later the rain hit me, I was close to tears. Manned up and got it done. Felt like superman after it. Absolutely character building. No race could hurt as much as this run. FACT!

Friday: 9 mile run, no watch. Savage weather. Stopped after 5 miles and took 5 minutrs to take in the sun and my surroundings. Most pleasant run of the year.

Saturday: 8 mile hilly run @ 6.30 pace. There was supposed to be a 5k to show solidarity with Boston marathon on Sunday afternoon in the Phoenix park. I knew I wouldn't make it so this was my own little tribute. Donned my Boston marathon jacket and hit a hill run I used while training for Boston a few years ago. A combination of anger, nostalgia, excitement and music pounding in my ears meant I absolutely buried myself (and I mean buried) on this run. There is one hill that requires you to drop into 2nd gear in your car it's so steep. I was running full tilt up it. Really enjoyable and a little emotional for a number of reasons but the endorphin rush was massive.

Sunday: In an absolute heap, quads in a jocker so was going to take the day off. Baby needed formulae so instead of driving to supermarket I said I'd jog the 2 miles there and the 2 miles back. Made the mistake of putting music on again and a mixture of the tunes and thinking about some of the stellar performances by some of our boards friends in Boston and London this week meant I took a bit of a detour and hammered on 8 miles sub 7 minute pace. Probably a massive mistake but was very enjoyable.

The last 4 months have been a disaster for me in work. I'm essentially covering 2 guys who are on leave, this is one of the reasons I didn't sign up for a Spring marathon, knew it would be too stressful. However I'm now seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. Things are easing off and should be back to normal in the next 2-4 weeks.

27 weeks to DCM. Main goal over the next 4 weeks is to drop some weight. I've a fat man inside just bursting to get out, he's winning at the moment. I'm watching what I eat and am back weighing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

27 weeks to DCM. Main goal over the next 4 weeks is to drop some weight. I've a fat man inside just bursting to get out, he's winning at the moment. I'm watching what I eat and am back weighing myself.[/quote]

The dropping of weight is the key to it. It has to be my goal too now for the nxt 5-6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just getting through weeks like that with even a few miles can be an accomplishment.

Hope all okay on the home front.

The dropping of weight is the key to it. It has to be my goal too now for the nxt 5-6 weeks.

I'm not too bad but some bad habits regards bad snack choice have crept back in. Just means I need to plan a bit better and make sure I have healthy alternatives lying around the office/home instead of junk.
    Peckham wrote: »
    Just getting through weeks like that with even a few miles can be an accomplishment.

Hope all okay on the home front.

Ah yeah nothing serious in the grand scheme of things and everybody nearly back to 100%, just a bit stressful but you're right weeks like last weeks are an accomplishment and definitely add a bit of mental strength ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

You are probably aware of these already but I've recently ordered a box of these lads http://www.wiggle.co.uk/clif-bar-box-of-12-x-68g-bars/ to have instead of going to the vending machine in work for mars bars and crisps etc. I see in Ryan Halls's food diary in the book "Racing Weight" that he lists them as a snack, so they musnt do too much damage. They taste lovely and have very little fat.

• Advertisement

statss wrote: »
    You are probably aware of these already but I've recently ordered a box of these lads http://www.wiggle.co.uk/clif-bar-box-of-12-x-68g-bars/ to have instead of going to the vending machine in work for mars bars and crisps etc. I see in Ryan Halls's food diary in the book "Racing Weight" that he lists them as a snack, so they musnt do too much damage. They taste lovely and have very little fat.

Be careful about the "if an elite is doing it, can't be that bad" approach. Hall has (since publication of that) re-evaluated his diet regime and changed it accordingly.

I do however agree with the idea of aiming for healthier substitutions. Best advice I ever got recently is make a choice with every thing you eat. Weigh up the pro's and con's. Snacking and cravings can be habitual so taking time to evaluate can sometimes help the cravings pass

Advertisement