Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Peckham

Exclusivity TRR. Coronation st is popular. The x factor is popular.

Exactly. This is the sort of high end training log that BBC4 would broadcast. Most of the rest of this forum is equivalent to Come Dine With Me. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Well, get working on your log rather than hanging around my gaff all night drinking tea and eating my biscuits :D

I wasn't offered a biscuit you tight bastard. Was offered a pair of theboyblunders boxers all right but no biscuits.
    Peckham wrote: »
    Interesting discussion. I've always trained and raced in sturdy Brooks Adrenaline (bar a few 5ks in flats). Have a voucher for Amphibian King that I'm thinking of using to buy something lighter that I could eventually use for the marathon. Have wondered about the risk-reward ratio.

Invest in a pair and gradually introduce them. Risk-reward is something to bear in mind but you've plent of time and if you're not 100% confident don't risk it.

Exactly. This is the sort of high end training log that BBC4 would broadcast. Most of the rest of this forum is equivalent to Come Dine With Me. ;-)

Yes I'm a bit high brow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

TRR wrote: »
    I wasn't offered a biscuit you tight bastard. Was offered a pair of theboyblunders boxers all right but no biscuits.

As we agreed D. 2 quid per garment recovered :)

As we agreed D. 2 quid per garment recovered :)

That's probably a bit generous considering what the dirty perverts have done to them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Oh, that's what you were dunking in your tea so yeh sicko ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Who needs tv.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

keep up all this entertainment and I'll never get the London race report done...:o, beer and chocolate almost gone though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Younganne wrote: »
    keep up all this entertainment and I'll never get the London race report done...:o, beer and chocolate almost gone though!!!

At least we got him some hits on his log ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

:o easter egg finished...beer gone...no report....tomorrow...maybe...nothing left to see here folks;).......nite nite...!!

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    At least we got him some hits on his log ;)

Since I started this log I've ran 3 * sub 2.40 marathons, sub 75 min half, a 55 min 10 mile a 33 min 10k and I'm 10,000 hits behind the Jimmy Saville of Boards.ie. I need to look at sexing this bad boy up. I'll be documenting my bedroom antics from now on.

Since I started this log I've ran 3 * sub 2.40 marathons, sub 75 min half, a 55 min 10 mile a 33 min 10k and I'm 10,000 hits behind the Jimmy Saville of Boards.ie. I need to look at sexing this bad boy up. I'll be documenting my bedroom antics from now on.

Hahaha

'hard session last night. Had company for this one which helped. Plan was a long slow one but lost control of pace and it turned into fast reps. Pulled up early. Most unsatisfactory.' :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thats not very impressive to the average reader. Don't you know you need to bring some drama and disappointment to your racing. You get more attention that way. No one wants to see people be fast and perfect.
    Hahaha

'hard session last night. Had company for this one which helped. Plan was a long slow one but lost control of pace and it turned into fast reps. Pulled out early. Most unsatisfactory.' :)

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Looks like you're not the only one trying this approach ;)
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    Wed is nooki nite in d um1 household.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

People love a rags to riches story. Would you consider feigning an injury, and then making a triumphant return against the odds? Or else just do what I do and find a fast runner like (KielyUnusual) and give them your timing-chip, and get them to run a really fast time for you. All of the kudos, without any of the actual hard work. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

eat more biscuits,ask wats more difficult a 100 mtre run or a ultra or a irma race,,do a slow marathon on one leg and start a 3 way row with woody,walshp and pisco....ul have squilliipons of hits,,,
    we see u more as the micheal parkinson of boards

What brand of runners you breaking in??

I'll be more careful in my line of questions in future......maybe less controversial.

Hahaha

'hard session last night. Had company for this one which helped. Plan was a long slow one but lost control of pace and it turned into fast reps. Pulled up early. Most unsatisfactory.' :)

Yes I always have company, the novices already think I'm a wanker ;)
    Thats not very impressive to the average reader. Don't you know you need to bring some drama and disappointment to your racing. You get more attention that way.

Yes I'm coming around to this, may need to feign a near death experience or similar.
    kit3 wrote: »
    Looks like you're not the only one trying this approach ;)

He only has nukie once a week. Anto is an ultrarunner so his bedroom antics go on for a couple of days and nights. I'd be more of a sprinter :D

SATURDAY: 10 miles including 5k parkrun in 16.30. OK so most of you don't give a ****e about my running but I'll document it, for the rare few who may be interested. Decided to run the Marlay park run, I've been threatening to one of these since they started up in Malahide but I always feel a bit bad heading off on a Saturday morning on the mrs as I usually try and take the kids to give her a bit of a break. Anyway headed to Marlay with the goal of running sub 17 minutes and using it as a good blow out for the Tallaght AC 5k next week.

Siren went and after 400 metres was out front with a guy in basketball shorts hanging onto the back of me, I assumed he'd blow up after 1k but he was still with me, clocked the first mile in 5.07 and the guy started talking to me so I knew he was in decent shape as most headbangers who fly off are breathing through their arse after a mile split like that. Tried to lose him at the half way point up an incline and just when I thought I'd dropped him he overtook me:eek: Got back in front and started to try and grind him down as I guessed he had a bit of pace about him, in the back of my mind I was saying relax there is nothing to be gained here from winning but at the same time I'd feel the pace slacken from him and try to lose him only for him to come back at me. Got to 4k and I decided I needed to ease off or I could blow my chances of racing well next week, at the moment my mileage is quite low so I take a while to recover from hard races. I let a little gap open and then 2 guys from the club who were spectating gave me a shout and told me "not to let the club down" :rolleyes: so off I went again, the last 1k was fecking brilliant it was ding dong the whole way, he got ahead of me with 100 to go and I tried to come back at him again but I just didn't have the extra gear today. Was very happy with the time, aerobically I was fine and was not in a jock at the end, with fresher legs I think I could have knocked another 15 seconds off my time but I purposely didn't ease up for this.

After the race I was asked a few questions by Fat Fit magazine. I hope they stopped taking notes after the lady pointed out that there was only a second between 1st and 2nd even though he was 10 years younger than me, I went on a rant telling her that it was "bull****" and age had nothing to do with it blah blah blah

Anyway delighted with the effort, really enjoyed the little battle. Absolutely nothing on the line but it's nice to have somebody to battle with even if you lose. Overall I'm really impressed by my 1st parkrun experience. Incredibly well run, great friendly atmosphere and a great addition to a runners weekend. Going forward I'll be incorporating some of these into my long runs and use them as MP or HMP sections in my preparations for DCM

I'll be back later with details of my dogging session in the Marlay park carpark. Stay tuned you dirty bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

What was the course like, was it lots of twists and turns or was it decent enough?

tunguska wrote: »
    What was the course like, was it lots of twists and turns or was it decent enough?

it was decent enough, bit of a climb halfway but you get it back as the run (trying to be careful not to call it race :)) goes on. Wouldn't be the fastest but not the slowest either, a pretty fair course.

• Advertisement

Malahide definitely a faster course for you speedsters. Can't speak for the quality of dogging though.

Malahide definitely a faster course for you speedsters. Can't speak for the quality of dogging though.

Challenge accepted. I'll compare and contrast dogging venues next week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

C5K.jpg
    do u wear ur tallaght vest or do u wear the matching donore one:eek:

Still can't get past the bit about the basketball shorts.........wtf

Challenge accepted. I'll compare and contrast dogging venues next week :)

I'll be absent next week, but will forewarn the others of your impending visit and draw up a map of likely dogging locations around the park

Great running TRR.

Few questions if you don't mind

1. When do you think youll start sessions for DCM?
    2. Will you do 5/10k type training before the buildup?
    3. Are you going to do races as your only speedwork in the meantime (I only ask because it appears to be working)

I had a question about dogging but Ive forgotten it now :)

Few questions if you don't mind

No worries but these answers aren't set in stone, like all great entities this plan will evolve over time :)

1. When do you think youll start sessions for DCM?

There will be no real sessions set in stone. Typical week will be one hard 8-10 mile run close to or at MP during the week (building up to that at the moment) and a long 20+ long run, may include some MP in these depending on how I feel. Remainder of daily runs will vary between 8-12 miles and some double recovery days. At the moment 8 miles is my standard daily run but "10 is gradually becoming the new 8", in a couple of months "12 will be the new 10". There will be plenty of goal races. I don't think* I need to do lots of fast sessions, as I've said before my 5k pace is 5.08 and my planned marathon pace is 5.40 so speed isn't an issue, speed endurance is. I think I can work on this greatly with aerobic runs. Also sessions knock the crap out of me and if I don't keep a lid on them are counterproductive

*I may be wrong but I'll let you know how it pans out :)

2. Will you do 5/10k type training before the buildup?

Not really, it doesn't fit in with what my other training partners are doing and I think I'll get more out of increasing my mileage. Having said that I'll be racing a good few 5ks and 10k over the next 2 months.

3. Are you going to do races as your only speedwork in the meantime (I only ask because it appears to be working)

Yeah kind of, see above. As I said maybe every 2 or 3 weeks I'll do mile reps or similar but I can't envisage anything shorter

I had a question about dogging but Ive forgotten it now :)

I'm setting up a Marlay dogging facebook page. There will be a FAQ section in there especially for you ;)

I know 80-90% of the above will work well for me, there are some departures from previous training blocks but I think they will benefit me. I'd like to stress that the above suits me and some may think it either too light on threshold running etc or maybe even low on mileage. I've a good idea of what stimuli I react to well in training so I'm going by gut feeling. Kind of continues on from a conversation in KCs log, I couldn't do half, actually one third the sessions he did for London as I would have broken down but they worked for him and were the difference in him going sub 2.40 in my opinion. So you need to have a look back at your training diaries, find out when you were running well and what you were doing. Alternatively what got you injured, no use doing a particular run/session if it results in injury no matter how beneficial you are told it would be (that's the reason I don't run on the track).

Class, thanks very much for that. Food for thought. Im def going to try to lengthen the daily run myself.

Im in a different situation...my 5k speed is not near where it should be to justify my running ambitions....

Might ask you about that sometime later :) Thanks again.

Class, thanks very much for that. Food for thought. Im def going to try to lengthen the daily run myself.

Im in a different situation...my 5k speed is not near where it should be to justify my running ambitions....

Might ask you about that sometime later :) Thanks again.

Tallaght club sessions would sort that 5k speed out for you! Oh wait .............................. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What sort of mileage would you typically do during a marathon plan? Easy week, big week etc...

Advertisement